Here we go...

City2000

This is my first attempt at a Career Thread so anything could happen here.....

I'm looking to have a Journeyman career, starting unemployed with an Automatic rep and nearly every league loaded. I have nothing specific in mind other than starting at the bottom and working my way up.

Season 1:

First Job offer:

jevanker1.jpg

I took this job for a few reasons, one I wanted to manage in Scandanavia at some point and also despite a poor looking squad I felt there was a lot of room to bring some new faces in to hopefully build towards a promotion challenge.

Key Player:

larss.jpg

2011 Season Review:

Sadly I don't have the final league table screenshot.

Anyway, I took over in July after 9 games had already been played. the squad was very poor so I quickly set about making changes and putting my transfer budget to good use.

2011fixtures.jpg

The season itself was a bit up and down, at one point I thought I may be getting relegated but had two good runs saw me finish a respectable 5th. Highlight for me was the 4-0 win at Herd.

2011fixtures1.jpg

Key performer:

Lars Laften (st): P24 G17 A3 MOM2 Rat:7.36

Season     Club              League                               Position      Achievements
2011       Jevnaker IF       Norweigan Second Division            5th           None

Next Season:

I now have a squad capable of challenging for promotion but with ony 1 team going up to the First Division it will be a challenge.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 2

Before the Season started I signed a new two year contract tying me down until December 2013.

Season Review - 2012

After an up and down first season I once again had some leeway to spend a few £K's in the transfer market whilst again releasing a few players aswell.

2012transfers.jpg

I spent 5k this offseason to bring in two centre mids that I was needing, one a ball winner and the other someone who can use the ball. I felt by this point I had a squad capable of going up.

2012fixtures.jpg

As you can see, a good season here with the occasional hard to understand thumping. Got out to an early lead in the table and never really looked back ending the season as Champions on 56 points, 19 more than last season.

Key Performer

Lars Lafton (st): P20 G14 A1 MOM4 Rat:7.37

Season      Club              League                                      Position      Achievements
2011        Jevnaker IF       Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           None
2012        Jevnaker IF       Norweigan Second Division Group 2           1st           League Champions, Promotion

Next Season

My funding has been taken away from me now by the board due to spending 800k on the Stadium so the squad that has got me to the First Division will need to keep me there.

Note: I didn't include the league Tables as I removed the Norweigan Second Division to speed the game a little and I forgot to take a screenshot before doing so.

Season 3

Season Review - 2013

With my funding being cut I was looking for a few squad players on free transfers rather than any players that could break into the first team.

2013transfers.jpg

As you can see all free transfers and one loan, and I was really pleased with this loan aswell: Efe Peters

efeha.jpg

I was expecting a mid table season as my squad was slightly below average at the First Division level.

2013fixtures.jpg

As you can see I had a great start which at the break saw us in 3rd just 4 points from automatic promotion but following the break we went on a shocking run, winning just 1 in the next 9 games. This saw me slip to just above the relegation zone but luckily we turned it around losing just 1 in the next 10 games to see us finish 7th. Had we not had that blip I feel we could have been playing Premier League football next season.

2013table.jpg

Key Performer

Lars Lafton (st) P26 G10 A6 MOM4 Rat:6.93 - Another great season from Lars but at 34 he's starting to show signs of decline.

Season   Club               League                                      Position      Achievements
2011     Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           None
2012     Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           1st           League Champions, Promotion
2013     Jevnaker IF        Norweigan First Division                    7th           Left Club (didn't extend contract)

Next Season

At the end of the season I decided to let my contract run out and not renew it, I had a great three years at Jevnaker and who knows, we may have had a shot at promotion next year but I feel it's time for a new challenge...................

A New Challenge

After leaving Jevnaker in December 2013 I had a few offers, mainly from England but none that took my fancy until late February 2014...

fortunae.jpg

When I took over the club were 17th but 15 points clear of relegation with just 7 games left. Not much for me to do here but see the season out and look to make some changes over the summer.

2013table2.jpg

I was able to let some high earners go on frees at the end of the season and I had a small budget to work with. I got a£250k bid for one of my left wingers that I decided to accept aswell.

2014transfers.jpg

This is my squad heading into the new season, my media prediction is 16th and my board expectations are to consolidate. To be honest I fancy a run at the playoffs with this squad, i'll be using a pretty basic 442.

2014teamreport.jpg

Season     Club               League                                      Position      Achievements
2011       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           None
2012       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           1st           League Champions, Promotion
2013       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan First Division                    7th           Left Club (didn't extend contract)
2014       Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        14th          None

Thanks, really enjoyed my time in Norway. Bit sad to leave when I did as I would have loved to get Jevanker into the Premier League but I just felt it was time to move on. I might return to Norway at some stage in the future.

Was delighted to get the chance to manage in Holland aswell, haven't managed there in a long, long time.

Season 4

Mid-Season Update

It's true that it's not too hard to make a run at the playoffs in this league and thats why I fancied it. This is my setup for the season, a basic rigid 442 with my strategy changing depending upon opponents and also here are my results so far.

2014team.jpg

2014fixtures.jpg

Couldn't have asked for much more so far, I knew I had a good squad put together for this league but certainly didn't expect to go the first half of the season unbeaten in the league, already securing a playoff place and also giving Ajax (albeit mostly a reserve team) a good run for their money in the Cup.

2014mstable.jpg

My best performer so far has been my new striker, Serder Ozturk who has been operating as a poacher with 10 goals in 16 games and has struck up a nice partnership with my target man Mortensen. Also have a really mean defence which has only been poor once during a 3-3 draw with Volendam, a game we were lucky not to lose. Hoping to keep it going in the second half of the season and will be disappointed now if I don't go up.

^Thanks.

Season 4

Season Review = 2014/15

fortunapro.jpg

As you can see from the mid season update and going 16 games unbeaten promotion was always on the cards but it certainly wasn't straight forward. The second half of the season started well enough with two wins but I suffered my first league defeat of the season in my 19th game, a 4-1 hammering from FC Eindhoven. By early February we were 11 points clear of NAC Breda and looking comfortable before a poor run of 1 win from my next 5 games saw my lead cut to 5 points with 4 games to play. We then ground out two huge wins, 1-0 at home to Emmen and 2-1 away to Oss, we played poorly in both but sneaked the crucial wins that got us over the line with two games to spare. A huge relief as I thought a huge collapse was on the cards.

2015fixtures.jpg

2015table.jpg

Key Performers

Lars Hutten Great effort from Lars who really stepped it up in the second half of the season, suffered an injury which coincided with my poor run of form aswell.

Serdar Ozturk Serdar was lethal in the first half of the season which saw us go unbeaten for 18 games, his goals really dried up in the second half of the season though.

Roel Janseen Good season from my star centre half.

Next Season

There is an ongoing board takeover which has slowed down my progress of bringing in some new faces, hopefully this will resolve itself before the transfer window opens. I've got 1 year to run on my contract and have just turned down a new offer as at this stage i'm waiting for the outcome of the takeover talks before I commit to a longer deal. I have turned down approaches from clubs based in Belgium, Russia and Ukraine as I do want to stay at Fortuna at least to see how I can do in the Eredivisie next season.

Season     Club               League                                      Position      Achievements
2011       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           None
2012       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           1st           League Champions, Promotion
2013       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan First Division                    7th           Left Club (didn't extend contract)
2014       Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        14th          None
2014-15    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        1st           League Champions, Promotion

Season 5

Update

Pre Season didn't go aswell as I had hoped, takeover talks were ongoing for most of the offseason which made for the transfer window being more difficult than I wanted especially being a newly promoted club. We started the season badly with 4 straight defeats before a win and a draw left us in 15th place, FC Twente who had started the season just as badly then sacked Frank De Boer and I noticed my name being one of the names mentioned as being a possible replacement.

fortunault.jpg

fortunafans.jpg

As you can see I applied for the FC Twente job which then turned the board and fans against me, I did apologise as I wasn't sure if I would get the Twente job.

twenteapp.jpg

After burning my bridges at Fortuna luckily Twente offered me the job, although I did enjoy managing Fortuna with the takeover talks ongoing coupled with not having the best of starts to the season Twente was too good an opportunity to turn down. First task is to assess the squad and then start climbing the table (hopefully!).

Season 5

2015-16 - Mid-Season Update

I took over at Twente after 6 games had been played, Twente lost 4 of their first 6 and aren't in Europe this year as they finished 8th and lost in the play-offs last year. The squad is already more than capable of getting back into Europe so I think it's just more fine tuning at the monent rather than wholesale changes. In saying that I have shipped out 7 players in January although we had a very big squad and I haven't needed to bring any new players in to go straight into the first team apart from Oliver Baumann who is our starting keeper.

This is our current first team squad, it's solid enough for this year although I expect i'll start looking at some changes at the end of the season.

twenteteam.jpg

The season itself has gone great so far apart from my first game in charge, a 1-0 home defeat to Excelsior. A great run of 9 wins from 11 since then has seen us rise to 4th and we have a real shot at finishing in a Europa League spot. I think it's unlikely we'll keep up this form to finish top two but I can hope! One concern was the defeat by PSV, they really dominated us which makes me think this team will need a number of changes to be ready to win the league and compete in Europe but i'll leave that for the summer.

twentefix.jpg

twentetable.jpg

Thanks guys, i've really enjoyed this career so far, usually i'm a one club sort of player but I fancied a change this year and i'm glad I did.

That Fortuna defeat was a bit of a shocker mind, first time we've conceded 4 all season and it just had to be them. Just coming to the end of the season now so hopefully will get it finished tonight.

^ Thanks

Season 5

Season Review - 2015/16

As you know I only stayed with Fortuna for 6 games before Twente came calling and after a great first half of the season I fancied our chances at Europa League qualification at the very least. However our second half of the season was dogged by inconsistency and we quickly became cut adrift of the top two so Champions League was never really on the cards. Although we were inconsistent the good thing was that we weren't having too many draws so top 4 was always a possibility right up until the PSV defeat. In the end 6th place was about right but Groningen had our number all season and blew us away in the playoffs so we'll have to make do with domestic football only next season. All in all not a bad first season considering the fact we lost 5 of our first 7 games.

twentefix2.jpg

twentetable2.jpg

Key Performers

Matias Mirabaje - Great season from my key player until Matias broke his leg in early February, he was a big loss but he should be back early next season.

Giovanni Sio - Sio was my main striker this year, had a great first half of the season but he started to make noises about wanting to move to a bigger club in January and after that his formed dropped off significantly. With one year remaining on his contract aswell I expect to sell him in the summer, Lazio are interested.

Yero - My Target Man who was signed just before I took over from Besiktas. Tailed off a bit in the second half of the season and as I don't have a real backup for him he probably played more games than I would have liked but he had a fantastic first half of the season partnership with Sio. Leeds who have just been promoted to the Premier League are showing an interest but hopefully i'll keep hold of him although I am looking to bring another Target Man into the club.

Bryan Linssen - Another key player for me who suffered a season ending injury in March, formed a good partnership as my left winger in midfield along with my Attacking Midfielder Marabaje. No doubt I missed them both when they got injured.

Adissa Samiou - Signed Adissa in January from Silkeborg for £1.2m as I desperately needed a backup striker for Sio, once Sio lost some form Adissa came in and was superb. I see him more as a backup/player for the future but no doubt he's a goalscorer. I've already had some interest in him but it will take good money for me to sell him yet.

Next Season

Really looking forward to the transfer window, I already have three free transfers agreed and will be releasing several players aswell to free up some wages. The key for me is to add some squad depth as once injuries started hitting me after Christmas our form went downhill. I'll also be looking for a new goalscorer as I expect to lose Sio.

After finishing 6th this year and losing in the play-offs my aim will be to finish top 4 to guarantee that Europa League spot, I think a lot will depend on my work in the tranfer window but hopefully that will be achievable.

2011       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           Took over on 6.7.11
2014       Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        14th          Took over on 26.2.14
2014-15    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        1st           League Champions, Promotion
2015-16    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Eredivisie                            15th          Left Club after 6 games for FC Twente
2015-16    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            6th           Took over on 27.9.15

Season 6

2016/17 Pre-Season Update

Board Expectations - Euro Cup Qualification through League (3rd and 4th qualify automatically and 5th-8th qualify for playoff)

Wage budget - £375,000 of which I was already spending £300k.

Transfer Budget £7.75m

Transfers

2016transfers.jpg

Key Signings

Mario Cotes - My marquee signing costing a whopping £16.5m smashing FC Twente's previous transfer record by some considerable margin. Set to be my main striker for the season, i'm hoping for big things from Cotes this season but he does also good potential to get better over the coming seasons. Wasn't originally going to sign him but once AC Milan came in for Yero I decided to pull the trigger, albeit a very expensive one.

Emmanuel Kuffour - £3.2m 20yr old Ghanaian with great potential that I am really excited about, will battle with Wout Brama for the DMC spot.

Mansour Mendy - After selling Sio to AC Milan I needed another Poacher to fit my formation, Mendy is ideal and relatively cheap at £1.5m. He's likely to be a starter just ahead of Adissa Samiou.

Chimeize Bassey - A Steal at £350k, originally signed as a backup for Yero before his departure.

Patrick Wanjohi - Another steal at £650k with good potential. I like to have 4 central defenders and Patrick will start the season as 4th choice.

Team Report

squadreport16.jpg

Starting XI and Tactics

teamoj.jpg

For me this is where my career has really got started. For the first time I was able to put together a decent backroom staff (including a 32 year old ass man in Rafa Van der Vaart) and a good quality scouting team that could travel the world looking for those key signings. I was linked to the PSV job but i'm thinking of putting down roots at Twente for a while (hopefully!). I'm pretty pleased with my summer transfer activity. Was a bit surprised to see AC Milan take my two strikers who to be honest aren't good enough for where you would expect Milan to be challenging. The only other position I would have liked to improve upon was AMC but I wasn't able to get my number 1 target - Ousmane Niasse from Los Angeles at a decent price so I pulled out, might try again in January on that one. i look to have decent depth in the squad but we'll soon find out.

Season 6

2016 Olympics

Got an offer to take Ivory Coast u23's to the Olympic Games and as i've never managed at the Olympics before I thought i'd take the opportunity.

The Squad

ivorycoast.jpg

Results

olympicsn.jpg

olympics2.jpg

Tournament Tree

olmpicstree.jpg

I thought we did ok, got a good draw against an Argentina side containing Messi, Pastore and Aguero and then cruised past Belarus to top the group after two games. We dominated the final game but gave up a late headed goal from a corner to knock us out, thats football!

Former Club Watch

jevnaker.jpg

fortunaw.jpg

I've been delighted with Jevnaker's progress since I left, I feared they might be relegated straight away back to the Second Division but they have turned into a mid-table side. Jon Midttun Lie took over after me and is still doing a good job 2 1/2 years on. Fortuna did well to stay up last year aswell, the squad is only just Eredivisie standard. Soon after I left the chairman left and a new consortium took over appointing Rene Hake who is doing a good job and after they beat me 4-1 last year they still seem to have my number this year too, the curse of the former club is still in full effect!

fortwente.jpg

Good thread this.

Spurs winning the Premier League, Champions League, and Europa League x 2 :applause:

Spurs have spent nearly £400m so far on transfers, compare that to Man City who have spent £230m over the same period. They certainly aren't scared to splash the cash!

Determined aren't they?

They sure are, i'm starting to take a real dislike to them now!

great great thread! loving this i too <3 dutch football think its awesome, good luck in the future

Thanks, i'm enjoying it.

Jesus whove they splashed out on?!?

Cavani, Sniejder, Di Maria, Witsel, Astori, Burdisso, Kuzmanovic and Ganzo to name a few. They have also spent £12.5m on Chris Brunt and £20m on Nelson Valdez who has rewarded them with 11 goals in 5 years! They spent £107m in the 2014 summer transfer window alone!

Wow they look awesome plenty off players at there peak age so to speak and lots off options for different formations.

How have they been doing in the prem?

This is their league record and their managers

Harry won the League, Europa League and Euro Super Cup before retiring

Queiroz won the Champions League and Europa League before retiring

Laudrup has just taken over but he does have an MLS All Stars win under his belt!

Season 6

2016/17 Mid-Season Update

The board expectations for this season were the same as mine, finish 4th to get back into Europe and so far so good. We started the season great with two wins scoring 9 goals in the process but after a run of just 1 win in our next 5 games I was a bit concerned. At this point I changed the personnel in the team around, bringing Adomah and Casillas, two wingers who I signed as backups into the team and Mirabaje, who had just returned from a broken leg with a real decline in his stats into the AMC role aswell as changing Cotes, my Complete Forward to a support role rather than have both strikers set to attack. Well, from there we haven't looked back winning 13 and drawing 2 from our last 15 games in all comps to top the table and make the last 8 of the Dutch Cup at the break.

twenterecord.jpg

twentefix3.jpg

twentetable3.jpg

Key Performers

Mansour Mendy - Easliy my star man over the first half of the season, started with a goal after 90 seconds on his debut and the only thing to slow him down since has been a broken shoulder. Already had 3 bids from Toulouse, the most recent being worth around £4m but I don't see me letting Mendy leave in a hurry.

Matias Mirabaje - At the start of the season I was concerned about Matias because he had spent the last 6 months nursing a broken leg and with his stats in decline I looked at finding a replacement, but when my bids for LA's Ousmane Niasse were rejected I decided to give Matias another go and boy, am I glad I did. He has broken two records, both club and league assists records inside half a season.

Next

I certainly didn't expect to be topping the table at this stage albeit on goals difference and with the way both Ajax and PSV have been playing I will need to keep up this form to stay there. It looks a three horse race at the moment but I will need to avoid what happened over the second half of last season where we lost our consistency to quickly slip away from the leaders and down the table, I feel we have a better squad now but i'm not convinced it is yet good enough to last the course over a whole season, I guess we'll soon find out!

Don't you just hate it when you get to a Cup Semi and it falls on an international week not only costing you a cup run but also a 27 game unbeaten run.......gutted as not only my first team but also youngsters were called up leaving me with a Keeper, a few veterans and a whole bunch of useless u19's. I noticed it happens every year in the Dutch Cup Semi Finals and after searching these forums it seems a common issue.

Season 6

Season Review - 2016/17

twentebadge.jpg

As you saw from the mid-season update I managed to top the table at the break but then I made a schoolboy error when I forgot about the African Cup of Nations tournament in January and lost 6 players which left me real short for the first 4 league games after the break. We didn't play well in any of the games but managed to battle to 3 draws and a tight win which saw me drop to 3rd for a spell. Once we got our players back performances improved and we found ourselves winning 5 of the next 6 to go back on top with just 5 games to play. Then came the Dutch Cup semi which for some reason falls on an international week and we lost 5-2 at Vitesse to end our 27 game unbeaten run in all comps.

With 5 games to play and a real 3 horse race developing we had both our rivals PSV (home) and Ajax (away) still to play. The game with PSV exploded into life early with us 2-1 and a man down inside the first 12 minutes, we went to a narrow 4-3-2 and managed to get a late equaliser which kept us just clear of PSV and Ajax. The Ajax game came with just 3 games left to play and us top on goal difference, again we went down to 10 men in the first half of a vital game, we then gave up a 71st minute penalty to go a goal down but somehow scrambled home a late own goal equaliser to take a huge point. That kept us top with just 2 games left, the League Table shows just how close it was with a 3 way tie on 70 points.

With our far superior goal difference all we needed to do was win our last two games, both at home against Excelsior and RKC. We did, winning both 2-0 to claim the Eredivisie title by just 2 points. Undoubtedly one of the most exciting title races I have ever been involved in during my many years playing this great series.

After our shaky start we managed to go 28 league games unbeaten until the end of the season, still got some way to go to beat Ajax's 52 game streak from the 90's though!

Fixtures

2016fixtures.jpg

We did it!

championsl.jpg

finaltable2017.jpg

Key Performers

Mansour Mendy - Great debut season from my top scorer, 25 goals in 22 starts and if it wasn't for his broken shoulder and a 3 game ban late on i'm sure he would have been the league's top scorer. His value has more than doubled to £3.3m and he is wanted by a few clubs but i'm obviously keen to keep hold of him.

Adissa Samiou - My backup poacher behind Mendy but when he was needed he was superb notching 17 from just 13 starts. It's tough to leave him on the bench and with some big clubs looking at him we'll see what happens.

Matias Mirabaje - Any year with 27 assists is great year and Matias was superb all season even adding 9 goals aswell. He played in all 34 league games after coming back from a broken leg which hit his attributes somewhat, he has just picked up another 3 month injury so we'll see how he comes back in pre-season.

Giovanni Casillas - Started the season as my backup left winger but came in after our slugglish start and kept his place comfortably all season. I'm not sure whether he will be my starting left winger next year as I have a couple of possible new wingers in mind but I know he's dependable.

Mario Cotes - My marquee signing from last summer never really set the league on fire but he had a solid first season, i've been using him as a Complete Forward in a support role but still not sure on his best role yet.

Next Season

Already can't wait for the Champions League to start, I feel the squad is someway short of CL quality and with my initial budget set at £6.8m i'm not sure exactly how much i'll be able to improve the squad. I want to focus on the defence in the transfer window and in an ideal world would bring in a left back, right back and a centre back but we'll see how we go.

Also just had my first job offer from the Premier League with Everton who finished 11th this year, I see myself in the PL at some point during my career but with the Champions League on the horizon and still two years left on my Twente contract i'm not looking to leave yet.

2011       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           Took over on 6.7.11
2014       Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        14th          Took over on 26.2.14
2015-16    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Eredivisie                            15th          Left Club after 6 games for FC Twente
2015-16    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            6th           Took over on 27.9.15
2016-17    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions

International

Season     Nation                      Competition                     Position  

2016       Ivory Coast u23's           Olympic Games                   First Round 

Former Club Watch

jevnaker16.jpg

fortuna17.jpg

dutchcup.jpg

Another solid mid-table season for Jevnaker, there has been a lot of talk of a takeover there and possibly replacing Jon Midttun Lie which I can't understand as he's done a great job. Fortuna had a great year finishing 6th, taking 4 points off me and making the Dutch Cup final beating PSV along the way but they lost their Europa League Play-off game, still a great season though.

Archived