Closed Thread
Results 1 to 44 of 44

Thread: Great Britain U23s part of the England setup??!!

  1. #1
    Amateur
    Join Date
    7th January 2007
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Posts
    433

    Default Great Britain U23s part of the England setup??!!

    Im a bit offended that Fabio Capello gets the opportunity to pick who will be GB U23 manager. GB U23s also appear under the England tab but not Scotland or Wales. They are basically treated as England under 23s rather than Great Britain.

  2. #2
    Amateur
    Join Date
    21st March 2010
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Cant expect anymore mate it had to go under somewere.Im scottish aswell btw

  3. #3
    Amateur
    Join Date
    10th April 2010
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Isn't that how its set up in real life? England representing the whole UK at the Olympic's because the governing bodies of the other Home Nations could not agree on how to set up a UK wide Olympic team?

  4. #4
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    As the Welsh & Scottish FA's will have nothing to do with Team GB then putting the GB team as a tab on the England page is logical.

    I trust that in the main non-English players will decline an invitation to take part & that the team becomes defunct after the 2012 Olympics, I will be very disappointed in SI if they appear at the 2016 games.

  5. #5
    Amateur
    Join Date
    7th January 2007
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Posts
    433

    Default

    But it means as a Scottish manager i wasnt even considered for the job. I won the league comfortably, won the scottish cup and reached the quarter final of Europa league, but wasnt even considered for the position which was given to Steve Bruce who got Sunderland relegated and got sacked!

  6. #6
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    102

    Default

    As a patriotic Scotsman I'm hardly suprised. Will the Olympic team be anything other than an England under 23's. Accurate simulation there methinks...

  7. #7
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StewartJRobertson View Post
    But it means as a Scottish manager i wasnt even considered for the job. I won the league comfortably, won the scottish cup and reached the quarter final of Europa league, but wasnt even considered for the position which was given to Steve Bruce who got Sunderland relegated and got sacked!
    For any international team under the main squad it is unlikely the job would be offered to anyone that is currently employed by a club.

    The decision for the team to be English run is because the Olympics home is in England.

    In regards to FM. I can only surmise its because the last I heard was the Scottish FA are adamant they will not allow players to play in the team, whilst Wales and Northern Ireland have said they are unlikely to allow their players to participate but haven't given a definite answer. I haven't player FM12 long enough to actually see if the side actually picks other nationalities apart from English.

  8. #8
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    26th November 2008
    Location
    Priestfield
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    It's an interesting one, because there's still no real certainty as to what's going to happen in real life.

    I don't know of any precendent of an FA trying to prevent a player from taking part in the Olympics, although off the top of my head I can't think of anywhere else in the world that the same FA vs country argument could happen. I would think it'll turn out that the FAs can't legally prevent anyone (e.g. Gareth Bale) from going. The nearest comparison is at club level and (rather than Messi, who came to an agreement with Barca) is probably Rafinha, who went to the 2008 Olympics despite his club (Schalke) saying he couldn't. They fined him no end when he came back from them.

  9. #9
    First Team
    Join Date
    5th June 2007
    Location
    Wishing Brendan Rodgers had been this good in 2010
    Posts
    22,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawlore View Post
    It's an interesting one, because there's still no real certainty as to what's going to happen in real life.

    I don't know of any precendent of an FA trying to prevent a player from taking part in the Olympics, although off the top of my head I can't think of anywhere else in the world that the same FA vs country argument could happen. I would think it'll turn out that the FAs can't legally prevent anyone (e.g. Gareth Bale) from going. The nearest comparison is at club level and (rather than Messi, who came to an agreement with Barca) is probably Rafinha, who went to the 2008 Olympics despite his club (Schalke) saying he couldn't. They fined him no end when he came back from them.
    They could, they could easily say "we'll fire you (the manager) for serious misconduct if you pick any Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish players and you won't get any compensation as a result", or the FAW could say to Bale "you'll never play for Wales again if you play for the UK team".

  10. #10
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCIAG View Post
    They could, they could easily say "we'll fire you (the manager) for serious misconduct if you pick any Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish players and you won't get any compensation as a result", or the FAW could say to Bale "you'll never play for Wales again if you play for the UK team".
    By law they can't stop them, has in if Bale plays the Welsh FA can't fine him. If the contract that Pearce has signed stats he will get fired for selecting anyone who is not English would open up more problems for the English FA than anything because that is discrimination (Obviously Pearce would have to tell us for us to find out).

    The main problem that surrounds this in regards to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland is that they are concerned that it will hinder their independence and voting power when it comes to other FIFA sanctioned competitions.

    Even though Blatter has come out and said that, this wont hinder their standing in regards to FIFA, it is Blatter at the end of the day and we all know how trust worthy FIFA are at the moment.

    If Bale plays Wales can try and punish Bale through a disciplinary procedure but being one of ours best players would you want to cut your nose of to spite your face in order to make an example of him, for what will most probably be a one year thing if GB don't win.

    What the Olympics should be is Beckham last horrar for effectively England which he hasn't got with the main national side whilst playing along side youngsters who can be put in the shop window. If GB didn't win the right to host the Olympics this conversation would never have arisen.

    It would have also been good to actually have seen the short list for the managers job because whilst the negotiations are still effectively going on with the FAs, it was no surprise that the jobs were given to people already involved with the English set-up both Mens and Womens.

    Unless selections guidelines are set so they have to pick X amount of english, X amount of Welsh, X amount of Scottish and X amount of Northern Irish, we will see both mens and womens teams dominated by english players.

  11. #11
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    26th November 2008
    Location
    Priestfield
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Pearce has already come out and stated that he wants to select from all of the nations, the implication being that there's nothing in his contract saying he can't. It isn't overly surprising that both of the managers came from the English setup, since at the moment the other FAs don't want anything to do with it. I do believe a trick was missed in not appointing Martin O'Neill, but I don't know what his personal view on the whole thing is- he may be just as opposed to it.

    The question is whether the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish FAs could stop their players going. The answer- based on what happened with Schalke, who had their player under contract and presumably had more control over what they did- is probably no.

    Blatter has given conflicting statements about the situation, and I don't entirely blame the other FAs for the stance they've taken- FIFA is not a pillar upon which you'd wanna lean at the moment.

  12. #12
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    The three players that where stopped form playing in the 2008 Olympics their clubs had to European matches and Domestic matches during the tournament, so their respected clubs didn't want them to go but Rafinha still went and got fined 700,000 euros after the C.A.S. ruled in favour of the clubs.

    Would be interesting if Tottenham have to qualify for the Champions League in the early stages and if they let Bale go then. I know Redknapp has said that he has no problem in letting him go, but would that change.

  13. #13
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    24th October 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    My understanding in Scotland. Players such as Jamie Ness and Greg Wylde have offered services to The GB team. However the SFA and a large number of former players are encouraging them to change their minds.

    I think looking at it the balance could be pretty even. Alot of good young players breaking into first teams north of the border and ive also seen decent young N. Ire players and Welsh players breaking into teams too. Gareth Bale another top example. My biggest problem will be with the +23 players. Other than say McGregor/Gordon (both keepers) do any other non-english +23 player stand a chance of getting selected.

    Id happily see a team GB fwiw but if it effects the Scottish game then no.

  14. #14
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Its a grey area because its been many years since there was a last GB team and it will most likely only be a team for 1 year unless they win it and then they will feel obligated to put in another team.

    If the BOA came out and said it was going to enter a team every year whether that be using top players with FAs backing or Amateur players, I think it would sway opinions.

    The fact is that the BOA has seen this has a perfect money spinner for their Team GB brand. To the extent of Addidas bring out 2 kits for the football team 1 a celebration kit which Bale has been advertised wearing and then an official kit that will be worn in the tournament.

    I feel, that if the BOA decided to keep entering a team, the conditions of the selections should be set to give youth players a chance, i.e. only players outside the clubs provisional 25 man squad (because the tournament takes place before the deadline for clubs) and also the clubs 25 man European Squad selection.

    I feel, that this would please clubs in regards to letting players leave for the tournament but the nations FAs are still going to be in the air on their decisions.

  15. #15
    Reserves
    Join Date
    3rd June 2007
    Location
    Lucas Radebe's boot bag
    Posts
    11,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Welsh Lad View Post
    The three players that where stopped form playing in the 2008 Olympics their clubs had to European matches and Domestic matches during the tournament, so their respected clubs didn't want them to go but Rafinha still went and got fined 700,000 euros after the C.A.S. ruled in favour of the clubs.

    Would be interesting if Tottenham have to qualify for the Champions League in the early stages and if they let Bale go then. I know Redknapp has said that he has no problem in letting him go, but would that change.
    nah doubt it... he's usually in favour of that stuff

  16. #16
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    26th November 2008
    Location
    Priestfield
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    The other point, and one which I don't think is being used enough as an argument is that it's the freaking Olympics, the biggest sporting event in the world. Bar none. Bigger than the World Cup. Bigger than the Superbowl, which I guess someone else might put forward as a suggestion. People might try and argue it, but for a lot of people in a lot of other sports, an Olympic Gold Medal is viewed as the absolute pinnacle of sporting achievement. Maybe not so much for football because of the age restrictions (although I dunno, again, this may only be true in the UK since we haven't been entering teams- it was clearly worth it to Messi et al.), but it is still a highly prestigious international tournament.

    And it is literally a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the majority of the eligible players. For years and years before now as a Brit, it wasn't even that- there was no team entered, so it was simply impossible. And, if Team GB is disbanded after the Olympics, it really will be once-in-a-lifetime. Rafinha knew he'd be getting in serious trouble for going, and still went. I don't care how you quantify a 700k Euro fine, that is a LOT of money, and I highly doubt he's on Tevez wages.

    So, for one moment forgetting the specifics of the issues with Team GB, the risk to the FAs and their power over eligibility, simple questions- just how do you order someone not to go to the Olympics, if they've got the ability and the opportunity? How can you be that cold hearted?

    And how, as a player, would you say no? If the opportunity came to go to the Olympics, to represent my country, how could you pass that up?

  17. #17
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    I have to disagree. With Olympics being bigger than the World Cup for footballers or the Superbowl for American Footballers.

    The Olympics in Football term has been another avenue for young players to get a taste of tournament football, and for them to be put in the shop window so to speak.

    The Olympics is the pinnacle of a career for Athletics, Swimming, Gymnastics etc. They have the Commonwealth Games and the Olympics effectively the Euro Championship and World Cup in football terms.

    Although whilst I am enjoying this little debate, it is kind of moving from the OP so this will be my last on this subject in this thread.

    Ok if you ask a player would the represent GB in the Olympics they will say yes the same has Messi, Rafinha, Diego or anyone else. But if you ask them would they rather a World Cup Medal or a Olympic Medal I think the World Cup would come first.

    Ok for players like Bale who are less likely to achieve winning a World Cup Medal then this maybe the only opportunity to get an International Medal but then I still think Bale would rather a WC Medal.

  18. #18
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    26th November 2008
    Location
    Priestfield
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    I'm also enjoying it, but you're right, this isn't really what the thread's about so I'll stop here too and let anyone who wants to bring the subject back to the placement of the GB team in FM do so.

    I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on the tournament size- you may well be right about footballers as a whole valuing the World Cup higher, but I'd still be wary of how that view might be coloured through the eyes of people whose country haven't taken part in it in 40-odd(?) years. Either way, I think we do agree that it would be recognised by a player as a big competition.

    I must admit I hadn't even considered it from Bale's perspective as a Wales player who, with no disrespect intended, might never get the opportunity to play in another international competition. That makes it an even bigger ask for him to say no to an Olympic spot- even without getting near a medal, just the experience could be once in a lifetime for him.

    But anyway, that's enough of that, it's all off-topic. Cheers for the considered responses, Welsh Lad.

  19. #19
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th October 2004
    Location
    Lost... And also naked.. Do you know where i live?
    Posts
    708

    Default

    IMO the Welsh, Scottish and N. Ireland F.A.'s are looking at this from a totally selfish but also stupid point of view. They say "We don't want our reputation as an independant sports body damaged blah blah blah..." Has it not, at any point dawned on them that by allowing their players to play they could actually highlight their best talents, show the world there is more than one national team in Great Britain that has top quality players. If someone from the F.A. told them that should they play for GB they wouldn't be able to play for Wales, N. Ireland or Scotland again i'd seriously think (given enough players from one country) they would call their bluff. Imagine how much of an uproar there would be in Wales if fans found out that they will now be without Ramsey or Bale because of a stubborn bunch of douche bags in a board room don't want to be made to look silly (still i have no idea how they could be). Declining to release players is making them look like spoilt children rather than giving them the look of a serious F.A. Also i'm puzzled by the fact that the stubborn 3 have said that they don't want to lose Fifa voting power by being a part of this, now i'm not sure but the football side of things in the Olympic's are in no way connected to Uefa or Fifa so how would they lose anything?

    Back to FM, i've heard of people getting the job and picking players from Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland in the game. Not sure what nationality each of them were as a manager but from the teams i've seen Bale, Bannan and a few others from the 3 named nations have been in their squads without a problem. As for it being under the England national team, it will all be down to the fact that Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland don't want to be associated with us. England has been left to sort it all out so why shouldn't it come under the England national team?

  20. #20
    Amateur
    Join Date
    7th February 2007
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Say No to Team GB!

    Hope the get humped.

  21. #21
    Reserves
    Join Date
    3rd June 2007
    Location
    Lucas Radebe's boot bag
    Posts
    11,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss_1873_Rfc View Post
    Say No to Team GB!

    Hope the get humped.
    care to give us a reason for your dislike of it?

  22. #22
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_no_7 View Post
    IMO the Welsh, Scottish and N. Ireland F.A.'s are looking at this from a totally selfish but also stupid point of view. They say "We don't want our reputation as an independant sports body damaged blah blah blah..." Has it not, at any point dawned on them that by allowing their players to play they could actually highlight their best talents, show the world there is more than one national team in Great Britain that has top quality players. If someone from the F.A. told them that should they play for GB they wouldn't be able to play for Wales, N. Ireland or Scotland again i'd seriously think (given enough players from one country) they would call their bluff. Imagine how much of an uproar there would be in Wales if fans found out that they will now be without Ramsey or Bale because of a stubborn bunch of douche bags in a board room don't want to be made to look silly (still i have no idea how they could be). Declining to release players is making them look like spoilt children rather than giving them the look of a serious F.A. Also i'm puzzled by the fact that the stubborn 3 have said that they don't want to lose Fifa voting power by being a part of this, now i'm not sure but the football side of things in the Olympic's are in no way connected to Uefa or Fifa so how would they lose anything?
    You completely miss the point, the fact is FIFA have tried before to disband the home nations and make us play under one team, the home nations hold powerful places in FIFA because of the fact we bailed FIFA out in the early years, FIFA dont like the fact the home nations have this power and are a law in our own if you will when it comes to international football. Agreeing to a GB team could be seen as the first step of disbanding the home nations once and for all. We can highlight our top players when they play for OUR national team, we dont need team GB to do that for us, no one outside of England thinks there is only one home nation that produces good players.

    I personally dont care about this Mickey Mouse footballing tournament, the Olympics is not about football and team GB is a complete joke as far as im concerned.

    In FM terms im quite happy for it to be lumped under the England national team, at the end of the day it is an English run team, managed by an English man, sure to be full of English players, keep it that way id say.

  23. #23
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th October 2004
    Location
    Lost... And also naked.. Do you know where i live?
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milnerpoint View Post
    You completely miss the point, the fact is FIFA have tried before to disband the home nations and make us play under one team, the home nations hold powerful places in FIFA because of the fact we bailed FIFA out in the early years, FIFA dont like the fact the home nations have this power and are a law in our own if you will when it comes to international football. Agreeing to a GB team could be seen as the first step of disbanding the home nations once and for all. We can highlight our top players when they play for OUR national team, we dont need team GB to do that for us, no one outside of England thinks there is only one home nation that produces good players.

    I personally dont care about this Mickey Mouse footballing tournament, the Olympics is not about football and team GB is a complete joke as far as im concerned.

    In FM terms im quite happy for it to be lumped under the England national team, at the end of the day it is an English run team, managed by an English man, sure to be full of English players, keep it that way id say.
    Perhaps, but surely as FIFA has no power over the Olympic's the fact that they want to disband the home nations is irrelevant, the comptition has nothing at all to do with Fifa so playing under the 'Team GB' name on a one-off occasion should in no way affect their decision. It's not as if Fifa are going to turn around and say "Oh well, you played under Team GB, you shall do so forever now." Fifa has no power to disband the home nations, if they did we'd have been playing under the GB flag long ago so at the end of the day it's just useless idiots who don't know a thing about football being petty for the sake of being petty.

    Wales, N. Ireland and Scotland can't highlight their top players when they can't even make it to a bloody competition. This gives them the chance to highlight their best young talent on a pretty big stage and also give those young players a taste of tournement football thus aiding the chance of them actually going to the European Championships or World Cup one day. I'm not an Olympic fan. Like Cricket and Rugby i find Athletic's to be boring beyond belief BUT i am in no way blind to the size of the Olympic's and what it could mean to the players who are involved. Look at how Kelly Holmes and Chris Hoy (who is scottish btw) are seen by many as sporting heroes for their contributions at the Olympic's, really want to tell players they can't go there and perhaps make themselves the stuff of legend?

    The question is, do we really want Gareth Bale taking the title Ryan Giggs holds of being the best player to never play at an international tournament..... Do you want to wait another 16 years (as it will be when the 2014 World Cup rolls around) for a Scottish player to be on the world stage again?

    As for complete joke.... Well the only one i see isn't funny and is found in the form of the attitude's of the Welsh, N. Irish and Scottish F.A.'s

  24. #24
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    As the governing body of world football the Olympic tournament is an official FIFA event & is conducted under their rules.

    The IOC merely organises the events but iirc all the various participating sports are handled by the relevant governing body of that sport.

    @ Matt No7 can you name the last 5 men's Olympic football champions without going to wiki? Conversely I am fairly sure that you could name the last 5 World Cup or European Championship winners.

    Football has no place in the Olympics & I very much doubt that as an 8 year old boy Bale, Beckham, Rooney et al dreamt of winning a gold medal in Olympic football, it's a meaningless event & with the under-20/17 world cup & continental u21/19/17 championships it is also a needless event.
    Last edited by Barside; 02-11-2011 at 19:00.

  25. #25
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th October 2004
    Location
    Lost... And also naked.. Do you know where i live?
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Argentina have won it back to back with Nigeria and a couple of others. Knowing the winners is irrelevant and football has just as much right there as anything else, it's a sport, a great sport. Many (including myself) would say it's the best sport in the world.... Instead of saying football has no place, why not have a little bit of forward thinking and imagine what football could do for the Olympic's and vice-versa.

  26. #26
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    This is taken from the FIFA statutes.
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe..._072008_en.pdf

    Article 39: Organising Committee for the Olympic Football Tournaments
    The Organising Committee for the Olympic Football Tournaments
    shall organise the Olympic Football Tournaments in compliance
    with the provisions of the regulations applicable to these
    tournaments and the Olympic Charter.
    Article 78: International matches and competitions1) The Executive Committee shall be responsible for issuing
    provisions for organising international matches and competitions
    between representative teams and between League and/or club
    teams. No such match or competition shall take place without the
    prior permission of FIFA.
    And here is the Olympic Charter,
    http://www.olympic.org/Documents/olympic_charter_en.pdf

    Which basically goes on to state that a committee 'Sessions' review the last Olympic Program and decided if disciplines can be added or taken away, but before a decision is made they ask the governing bodies of all the disciplines (International Federations 'IF') to inform the International Olympic Committee if they want to discipline to be part of the next Olympic Program.

    So, to summarise FIFA have the deciding say on whether football will be played in an Olympics.

    With regards to disbanding the Home Nations. Whilst they are unlikely to to do it FIFA does have the power in the sense, that it will be put to a Vote and all members will vote on the outcome.

  27. #27
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_no_7 View Post
    Perhaps, but surely as FIFA has no power over the Olympic's the fact that they want to disband the home nations is irrelevant, the comptition has nothing at all to do with Fifa so playing under the 'Team GB' name on a one-off occasion should in no way affect their decision. It's not as if Fifa are going to turn around and say "Oh well, you played under Team GB, you shall do so forever now." Fifa has no power to disband the home nations, if they did we'd have been playing under the GB flag long ago so at the end of the day it's just useless idiots who don't know a thing about football being petty for the sake of being petty.

    Wales, N. Ireland and Scotland can't highlight their top players when they can't even make it to a bloody competition. This gives them the chance to highlight their best young talent on a pretty big stage and also give those young players a taste of tournement football thus aiding the chance of them actually going to the European Championships or World Cup one day. I'm not an Olympic fan. Like Cricket and Rugby i find Athletic's to be boring beyond belief BUT i am in no way blind to the size of the Olympic's and what it could mean to the players who are involved. Look at how Kelly Holmes and Chris Hoy (who is scottish btw) are seen by many as sporting heroes for their contributions at the Olympic's, really want to tell players they can't go there and perhaps make themselves the stuff of legend?

    The question is, do we really want Gareth Bale taking the title Ryan Giggs holds of being the best player to never play at an international tournament..... Do you want to wait another 16 years (as it will be when the 2014 World Cup rolls around) for a Scottish player to be on the world stage again?

    As for complete joke.... Well the only one i see isn't funny and is found in the form of the attitude's of the Welsh, N. Irish and Scottish F.A.'s
    I suggest you read up on who runs Olympic football. FIFA runs all association football, Olympics included. The worry is exactly as you say, if they make us play as team GB in the Olympics who's to say that wont follow through to real football? FIFA cant be trusted in any way, shape or form so any promises Blatter has made hold no water at all. The fact is this COULD open the possibilities of FIFA pushing through a full time team GB and disbanding the home nations. All FIFA needs to do is start a campain and have a vote on the matter, with a team GB in place other people at FIFA could see it as the way forward. I'd suggest those idiots who know nothing about football, know more than you do on this occasion.

    Like Barside says, name the last 5 winners of the male and female Olympic footballing tournaments without looking it up, i couldnt name you one, Olympic football is a side show to bring in some money, nothing at all about increasing exposure of players, and anyway if the Olympics was such a big deal, why do we never enter teams? Why all of a sudden when its being held in England do we HAVE to have a team in them? If you think its anything more than a publicity stunt to try and show the world Britian is home of football you've sadly misread the whole thing.

    At the end of the day the home nations either dont get to tournaments, or get there and completely embarrass themselves thinking they would do well, sadly we have been in the first group for a while, but we will get back there on our own, without the exposure of team GB, remind me again how them playing in this tournament helps our national team?

  28. #28
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_no_7 View Post
    Argentina have won it back to back with Nigeria and a couple of others. Knowing the winners is irrelevant and football has just as much right there as anything else, it's a sport, a great sport. Many (including myself) would say it's the best sport in the world.... Instead of saying football has no place, why not have a little bit of forward thinking and imagine what football could do for the Olympic's and vice-versa.
    The Olympics is effectively the World Cup for Athletics, Swimming, Gymnastics, Field Events and the Winter Olympics is the the winter equivalent whilst the Commonwealth Games are effectively the European Championships.

    The Talk of this GB football team has already over shadowed all these athletes hard work for the last for years.

  29. #29
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Milnerpoint I agree with you, the British Olympic Association (BOA) has done this to increase sponsorship and to improve sales of Team GB merchandise.

    Has I stated earlier Addidas also jumped on the band wagon by releasing a celebratory Football Kit for Team GB (Which Bale has been advertising) and then they will release an official kit for the tournament.

  30. #30
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Welsh Lad View Post
    The Talk of this GB football team has already over shadowed all these athletes hard work for the last for years.
    Exactly!! The people in who compete in the Olympics work for it most of their lives, its the be all and end all of what they want to achieve, a gold medal in the Olympics is a HUGE deal. Footballers have enough exposure, all this has done is take focus away from the people who deserve it the most and add focus to football players already know worldwide.

  31. #31
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_no_7 View Post
    Argentina have won it back to back with Nigeria and a couple of others. Knowing the winners is irrelevant and football has just as much right there as anything else, it's a sport, a great sport. Many (including myself) would say it's the best sport in the world.... Instead of saying football has no place, why not have a little bit of forward thinking and imagine what football could do for the Olympic's and vice-versa.
    The Olympics do not need any assistance in gaining exposure around the world. I'm also under the impression that tickets for the football have not been selling well which is not a surprise considering that Euro 96 had appalling ticket sales.

  32. #32
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Welsh Lad View Post
    Milnerpoint I agree with you, the British Olympic Association (BOA) has done this to increase sponsorship and to improve sales of Team GB merchandise.

    Has I stated earlier Addidas also jumped on the band wagon by releasing a celebratory Football Kit for Team GB (Which Bale has been advertising) and then they will release an official kit for the tournament.
    Its the only real reason they have done it, that and to show the world so to speak that we started football. Its a joke and has nothing to do with helping players, its only helping the BOA's coffers and selling extra shirts and merch.

  33. #33
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th September 2004
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    351

    Default

    not sure why Scotland and Wales would not want their players to take part - probably the only experience of international finals they will get tbh.

  34. #34
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    not sure why Scotland and Wales would not want their players to take part - probably the only experience of international finals they will get tbh.
    Nothing against you personally, but I really hate this come back. Has the numerous post above have explained that it is the threat of losing independence.

    If the Oceania countries had to band together to make a football team for the Olympics. New Zealand would be acting the same way with the threat of losing independence.

  35. #35
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th September 2004
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Welsh Lad View Post

    Has the numerous post above have explained that it is the threat of losing independence.
    Maybe Swansea and Cardiff should go and play back in the Welsh leagues..and the Glasgow clubs should stop making hints about coming south of the border.

    Its a one off tournament so I cant see the harm. Anyway, professional footballers shouldnt be allowed to play in it. Should be part timers playing.

  36. #36
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Club football is different to international football.

    And the fact is Cardiff and Swansea have been in the English League system since the 1920s.

    I think those club teams that have early european qualifiers or domestic games should make provisional 25 man sqauds and then only players outside that squad should get picked i.e. If tottenham have to play in the early qualifiers then Redknapp could name Bale in his 25 man squad so he wouldn't get called up.

  37. #37
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th February 2007
    Location
    walsall
    Posts
    149

    Default

    actualy this is not the first time GB team has played in the olimpics befor and indeed won it as a amateur team in the 40s and 50s, and the home countries did not lose their independece.

  38. #38
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th September 2004
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Welsh Lad View Post
    Club football is different to international football.

    And the fact is Cardiff and Swansea have been in the English League system since the 1920s.
    Scotland and Wales don't want to release their players for the GB team as they think they may lose their status as an independent footballing nation (despite reassurances from FIFA that this won't happen) yet they would be happy to milk the financial benefits of having their teams play in England. Think we will agree do disagree on this one

  39. #39
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th September 2004
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostpoolie2 View Post
    actualy this is not the first time GB team has played in the olimpics befor and indeed won it as a amateur team in the 40s and 50s, and the home countries did not lose their independece.
    it was at the start of the century I thougth I heard. Anyway just won it in 2012 in game

    Lallana superstar!

  40. #40
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Scotland and Wales don't want to release their players for the GB team as they think they may lose their status as an independent footballing nation (despite reassurances from FIFA that this won't happen) yet they would be happy to milk the financial benefits of having their teams play in England. Think we will agree do disagree on this one
    Obviously Sept Blatter's word is his bond & would you care to explain how the Scottish & Welsh FA's receive money from the Premier League or English FA?

  41. #41
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Scotland and Wales don't want to release their players for the GB team as they think they may lose their status as an independent footballing nation (despite reassurances from FIFA that this won't happen) yet they would be happy to milk the financial benefits of having their teams play in England. Think we will agree do disagree on this one
    The Scottish FA has never backed the old firm in their attempts to move to England, the Welsh clubs is a completely different situation altogether and their biggest clubs playing in the English league has no financial benefits to the Welsh FA, please get your facts correct on the matter before commenting.

  42. #42
    Amateur
    Join Date
    28th June 2008
    Location
    Lytham
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Why can Pro Footballers play in the Olympics, but you have to be an amateur to fight in the boxing in the Olympics...

    Just saying...

  43. #43
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Boxing is the last truly amateur only sport left in the Olympics, unfortunately this could be the last time that is the case.

  44. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Welsh Lad View Post
    The Olympics is effectively the World Cup for Athletics, Swimming, Gymnastics, Field Events and the Winter Olympics is the the winter equivalent whilst the Commonwealth Games are effectively the European Championships.

    The Talk of this GB football team has already over shadowed all these athletes hard work for the last for years.
    They do actually all have their own World Cup and European Championships. The Commonwealth games includes teams from outside of Europe btw.

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts