Small, otherwise insignificant things which annoy you

I'm sure everyone has something about FM which irritates them but really has no effect on their game at all. A bugbear if you will.

Mine is the text "Player X will feel he could have won the game for team Y" when said player misses a good chance and his team loses by a goal. No, player X will feel he could have snatched a point. This text line has been in the game for years and years and annoys me every time I see it.

What are your minor grievances with FM?

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you concede that a refereeing decision against your team was correct. I had a goal rightly ruled out for offside, and I admitted in the post-match interview that the referee was right.

Headline: Lovelock praises decision.

Praise? Hardly. I'm not happy about it, I'm just being honest enough to admit that the ref was right...

Watching a player wander sloooooowly across to the referee, accept the telling off, then walk away before he receives the yellow card. Dissent methinks.

Player injured. The key highlight appears to be spending two minutes watching the physio dolly-step across the park to kneel at his side for a bit, then watching them walk off taking an age. Whoo, exciting.

It automatically subscribing to anything you so much as click on (ok not really but sheesh there is so much news).

The moment, and I mean the very nano-second, that you've secured the title everyone complains they want first-team football. Yesterday he was happy. Today, now he's won a medal for never playing, he wants out.

No team considers an offer for your player, any player at all at any value, viable

However, every team instantly recognises the potential of every superstar youngster and will hassle you with daily bids.

Getting a bad decision and not being asked about it.

In fact, to be honest, press conferences in general are beyond woeful. If they were bad, then they'd be acceptable. They are actually so bad they spoil my enjoyment of the game.

Repetitive text. "VB spent a short time as manager of club x, and then spent a short time as manager of club y, before spending a short time as manager of ... "

All staff except every contract offer made by any other club at all, 100% of the time. Unless you pay through the nose to keep them. Loyalty? Pah!

'That's the first goal he's ever scored against any team, ever, in his whole life, and it just happens to be in the 94th minute against you"

Job screen lags like a particularly sluggish piece of plumbing. Place an advert, lag city. Want to see which jobs are under threat? Better make a cuppa whilst you wait.

In fact in FM12 generally everything feels like molasses.

The person who designed the interface clearly plays a foot in front of a 640x480 50" TV with a magnifying glass. Some of the buttons and text are microscopic.

Unemployed? Nobody will want to employ you. Got a job? Feel free to be linked to every job in the universe and have to refute it.

Set your tactics to "work ball into the box, never take a long shot ever". Sit back and enjoy as your 5 for long shots midfielder pumps it over the bar/into the crowd/out for a corner.

Won a blinding match with a player getting 5 goals? Don't dare tell him he played well or he'll be "abysmal" quicker than if John Terry eyed his missus. q.v poor training performance criticism.

Promised a guy more first team football and haven't got a game for a fortnight? He'll be demanding a transfer because you didn't play him in a game that doesn't exist.

"Yes I might have been out of football for two years and on the breadline, but I still don't want to play on your title-winning side for less than a squillion pounds a week. I happen to like soup!".

etc

Subs coming onto the pitch before the player being taken off has left the field of play.

Too many press conferences, it's Stalybridge v Kettering and more journalists turn up than fans.

Playing in BSP, £200k in debt, £2k over wage budget and being offered Bolton reserve players for £140k who want £1k p/w wages.

Player X has been removed from your shortlist as you have indicated he is no longer part of your plans

No hes still part of my plans, the reason I havent clicked on him is because I have been getting these handy reports mailed to my inbox so I have no need to click on him.

One thing that i think it could be improved it's when you exit the game. It asks you if you want to save the game (with options Yes/No/Cancel). Sometimes I pressed "No" by mistake and it could be better that it saves the game by default, or al least with a "tick" option that it could remember your decission.

Injured player. My team boot the ball into touch. Opposition throw the ball to their own player. If you put the correct etiquette for the first part into the game engine, then get it right for the second, too. (This is FM11 - maybe fixed in 12?)

Injured player. My team boot the ball into touch. Opposition throw the ball to their own player. If you put the correct etiquette for the first part into the game engine, then get it right for the second, too. (This is FM11 - maybe fixed in 12?)

Even worse: injured player, boot the ball into touch; receive the ball correctly from opposition throw in, but then "puts the ball into touch. He's taking no chances".... grrrrr.

player boots the ball into row z, when it bounces just after crossing the line

corner delivered in, headed clear... takes 10 mins to get ball back to corner taker (especially annoying when there's 4 mins to go)

goalkeeper decides to save ball when its clearly going out of play (commentary: Fantastic save by goalkeeper)

want to get rid of a good player that has no place in the team, can't give him away, but would command 10m if i was buying him

idiot decide to shoot rather than cross it to the man that will have an open goal, with noone within 10 yards of him

start off winning convincingly against good opposition, then held to 0-0 by league 1 opposition

Being asked about resting first team players after the mid-season transfer window, Mr Reporter, have you not noticed my brilliant new midfield pairing or superstar striker who arrived in January?

Everyone thinking that we are underdogs for a match against a mid table team even when with a handful of games left we are top of the league.

Will second not being asked about controversial decisions or worse still not having a press conference when you've just seen 2 offside goals given against you.

Players trying to take longs throws when they have pipe-cleaners for arms, you watch the player prepare his run up, he rushes forward & the ball doesn't even make the penalty area.

Players running back to their default starting position rather than taking a quick throw or free-kick.

Being offered players that my leagues rules state I cannot sign or register

Board always being disappointed that we have not increased our season ticket numbers, we've been in the same division for 3 seasons & you keep forcing me to sell our best players, what do you expect?

Manager profile - Press Conferences - Avoids taking to press, yet in the personal tab I'm noted as a media friendly boss

Preferred Formation - Hang on a minute, that's not my preferred formation

Being asked about the return of a former player, fine the first time & ok the second but still asking about him after 5 games, really? This is damn annoying in Scotland when you could play the same team 7 times in a season.

Being asked about your chances of winning the FA Cup, we're a non-league team for crying out loud.

I've had a couple of players asking to go on loan, then once on loan with another club are listed as unhappy as they "feel they are to good to be loaned out".

Not a show stopper, but annoying.

In a similar vein, had a player complain he wasn't playing, so we had a conversation where the outcome was I'd move him on ASAP. So I offer him to clubs, stick him on the transfer list and not needed by the club. Then he kicks up a fuss that he doesn't want to leave. Que?

Being asked about your chances of winning the FA Cup, we're a non-league team for crying out loud.

I get that with Arlesey Town, friggin' annoying.

Also, Predicted Position 3rd, yet i'm always underdogs.

And my matches are classified as 'relegation battles' even though we're still in September!

searching for players in the player search by position doesn't work any more as it only show those players who are NATURAL in that position!! WHY has this been changed from all the previous FM's???

That could be annoying as I use the player search screen as a page to consolidate all my scouting reports, if I understand correctly if I want to look at reports for a possible D(L) I will not see D(LC)'s listed as their natural position is D©?

Having your staff/player search set to "filter unrealistic targets" as the default. Missed out on quite a few talented coaches this way. Started up a second game and turned this off (though it reappears as soon as you change the search parameter) and signed a few of these people at pretty low salaries.

Watching Øvrebo refeering my previous two Champions League matches in 2013 while playing as Chelsea. The guy retired from international football after a certain match involving Chelsea and Barcelona. Even he if did come out of retirement I doubt he would be in charge of Chelsea games.

All staff except every contract offer made by any other club at all, 100% of the time. Unless you pay through the nose to keep them. Loyalty? Pah!

This! Having searched for hours for that top class coach, only to have him snatched away by some crap team only because you weren't paying attention to the news item and him accepting it within a day's time.

Being asked the same media question every single time the opposition pull it back to 2-1. What's so special about 2-1?! Why not 3-2, 4-3, even 3-1?!

Being asked reminded about my match preparation four times a week by my assistant. My girlfriend nags me less than that about the washing up. (And, like my assistant, I get annoyed and ignore her too)

Being asked about the return of a former player coming back to haunt me, when that player was on a one week trial at the start of the season.

Opposition players not being marked for throw ins beside your box allowing a simple cross and goal :mad:

Hundred times this! Half the goals scored against me come from that because apparently my defenders are not supposed to mark players during throw ins. Double annoying because there's nothing I can change tactics wise to stop it.

Mass sackings.

Every season there will be a few instances managers getting sack in groups, just seen 7 managers in England get the boot on the same day.

That could be annoying as I use the player search screen as a page to consolidate all my scouting reports, if I understand correctly if I want to look at reports for a possible D(L) I will not see D(LC)'s listed as their natural position is D©?

thats right, there is a way to change it though, when searching by position, you get the options "is".... "is not".....and "Partial" (or something similar) so just leave it on partial and its how it used to be :D

Score goal. Concede straight from the kickoff.

Player retires at 22 rather than sign for my team.

Defender runs towards his own goal chasing a loose ball, opposition striker hacks him down with a sliding challenge from the back, takes the ball and scores - no foul.

Goalkeeper is set to make a quick throw to the nearest defender, but decides to punt it upfield to my midget midfielder instead. Alternatively, gk makes a quick throw to the defender, the defender plays it back to the gk who punts it upfield to my midget midfielder.

Striker is clear on goal, has all the time in the world to place his shot or take the ball round the keeper, decides to blast it high and wide instead.

Defender makes a sliding challenge on an opposition player, ball drops perfectly to a striker who is otherwise offside.

I offer my promising youngsters on loan, no one is interested.

Go to Gabby Agbonlahor, History and look at Career Stats. The dates aren't in order properly. Annoying.

That's quite astonishing.

Potential superstars playing in a (non-selected) League of Ireland, making £55 or less; doesn't even consider talking to my team knocking on the door of the Championship play-offs.

Thinking "Don't be ridiculous. Superstitions have no basis. You won't lose if you don't do X, Y or Z." Disobey one, then lose heavily.

Oh, players only becoming favourite personnel by player rating. And it being damn hard to attain Icon or Legendary status.

Obviously this is really hard to programme into AI, but some players really deserve to be on the favourites list somewhere, regardless of their rating. A player who has an average rating over 5 seasons of 6.87, but captained 4 promotions in those 5 years is probably going to be a cult hero. Not in this game. I mean, Roy Essandoh is an 'Icon' for Wycombe, but 'all' he did was score against Leicester in the Cup. Not that I'm downplaying his achievements, but in FM terms, that's nothing. Richard Paquette put Havant & Waterlooville infront against Liverpool, but he's nowhere near the list.

I know the FM AI can't judge qualitatively, but it's something that annoys me.

Without doubt, without question, without hesitation, without a SHADOW..... it's when I press F3 (my shortcut to get to Fixtures) it shows me them half-way down the page. Even when I've just started a save and haven't played even my first pre-season friendly yet, it shows me the fixtures from halfway down, nearer the bottom in fact, and I have to scroll up to the top to see who I've got next, and see past results etc.

Browsing scout reports.

I always use the 'scout - main' view when looking through scout reports. Except in the latest versions of the game this is almost impossible because it reverts to 'main' every time I click on a player and then on the back button. In addition to that, it always goes back to top of the list so I have to change view and scroll down again to find where I'd previously been. Why does it behave like that? Why is 'main' the default view anyway, the hell do i care about player height and weight when looking for possible transfer targets? Annoying.

I'd have to go with the vote of being annoyed by unrealistic players.

"Agent is offering John Doe, who is without a club."

-Hmm.. Guess I'll offer him a weeks training to see how he checks out.

1 week passes

Agent: "so, want to sign my player?"

Me: "Well, he's ok I guess. I could prob use him as a backup for my right wing, but why why can't I choose that role as offer? Anyway, I'll offer him what constitues an average salary in my team, as I feel I'm more doing him a favour than anything else, by giving him access to steady training and the occasional match experience."

Agent: "Sorry, my player wants a salary that is higher than what any other player gets on your team..."

Me: "I thought I just made my case clear. The salary is not negotiable. Take it or your player can keep being un-emplyed and get in worse shape"

Agent: "My player will rather starve than get an average salary. Good day to you sir."

Me: "Yeah, whatever..."

Oh... And both my scouts just got nicked by foreign clubs from higher divisions (in their respective national league systems). grumble.. Didn't even give me a chance to renegotiate with them... So much for loyalty to their current employer. :(

Reporter: "Having lost that match, I'm sure you're regretting resting key players for this game?"

Me: Well actually, those key players have been absolutely awful recently, and I've actually dropped them from the team.

Oh, there's no option to say that. "No comment" will have to do.

When you have a loan signing for a season, at the end of it he leaves having 'loved his time at my club'

You try to sign him and despite me being favoured personell, the club one of his favourites and he is transfer listed at his current club he wont even talk contracts with you.

Had that on my Huddersfield save. Won promotion to Championship with help of an Oldham player on loan. Transfer listed by them at end of season and wont return to me.

I forgot to mention that Oldham where relegated so he rejected a championship team that loved him to stay with a League 2 team that dont want him..

U21/U19 international call ups clashing with first team games for club. I don't care on the rules, you don't see it happening anywhere as much irl. SI have never nailed it.

The new player interaction where I praise/moan at a player performance in last match; e.g. he gets a hat trick and can't understand why I am praising him.

Steam - Turns out I can't bin Steam once I've got the crap on there. If I want to play FM that is.

Archived