Football Manager 2012 - iPhone/iPad/iPod release date???

Anybody know when this is released for the iPhone/iPad/iPod? And to be honest I shouln't even be posting this. Technology the way it is today and they can't release it on all platforms at the same time. They seem to manage it on game consoles but with this one, FAIL!!!

• SI Staff

Now that this has been moved to the right forum I'd like to add that the PSP and Apple games are so different nowadays that - given the limited size of our team - it really isn't practical to release them at the same time, even if we wanted to.

Indeed.

PSP = Cheap

iPad = Expensive

=

Release iPad first! :) (And lose the PSP version, PSP will die soon anyways, focus on making ios version better :D )

ps. Release it already ;(

Altough, gotta say, playing FM12 (the PC version) through Splashtop Streamer on my iPad2 is great, just sometimes bit hard to hit the buttons, but its great for extreme hangover days where u just dont want to get out of sofa :)

• SI Staff

We'll release it when its ready and fully tested - I'm confident that you'll enjoy the iOS version when its out and appreciate why its required all the extra testing.

Please be patient, it'll be here before christmas ...

2 Godi i use the same program, and have a same problem, i am going to test long range wireless radio mouse.

Marc you and your group do a great job. Dont stop, cm and now fm its endless road from good to very good.

I know sigames have their own strategy for handheld version but i think version for ipad in future should be like pc version. casual players dont play FM even on iphone......dont be afraid to make a game harder.

I hope we will have full 2d match engine in nearest future! Now its a point for handheld version in my opinion.

No he cannot, Apple do not like anything told about the game in case it doesn't go through submission successfully and with their submission time it is unpredictable as it could go through in a day or two weeks (at Christmas it is worse as many more apps are trying to submit).

IMO, the excuse of two different OS is not good enough for me. Just take a look at your competitor EA Sports, they managed to release their FIFA 2012 for PC/Mac and iOS iPad/iPhone/iPod to satisfy their customers across the most popular platforms currently in the market. If you really want to keep your customer base happy, you should listen to us, and if you don't have a sizable team, then you should hire more staff to make it happen, or pay the price to be dragged by your competitor. Excuse my harsh criticism, but lets face it, this is reality.

Just take a look at your competitor EA Sports

...who is currently one of the biggest game companies in history.

Why doesn't Millwall choose to win Champion's League? If they don't have the players for it, they should just buy better players... if they don't do it now there's no chance they'll beat Barcelona.

How much does FMHi cost, about £7? Apple takes 30%, so that's about £5 left. Then after everything else, such as taxes, licensing, and so on, there's not much of those £5 left to pay for salaries.

On average a software developer in the UK earns about £35000 per year.

How many sales are SI loosing by releasing slightly later on iOS? Lost sale, obviously, means that someone who would definitely have bought the game but instead decided to never buy it...

and if you don't have a sizable team, then you should hire more staff to make it happen

The reason why Millwall doesn't just buy the players they need in order to win Champion's League, is because it's not guaranteed to work, and even if it did work, it's not guaranteed to be profitable. You would think that someone who has played FM would understand that it's not always as simple as buying more people...

IMO, the excuse of two different OS is not good enough for me. Just take a look at your competitor EA Sports, they managed to release their FIFA 2012 for PC/Mac and iOS iPad/iPhone/iPod to satisfy their customers across the most popular platforms currently in the market. If you really want to keep your customer base happy, you should listen to us, and if you don't have a sizable team, then you should hire more staff to make it happen, or pay the price to be dragged by your competitor. Excuse my harsh criticism, but lets face it, this is reality.

EA also release horribly buggy games and DON'T CARE WHATSOEVER about their customers or take the time answer any forum posts when people ask for help. SI however are the opposite. EA are not really SI's competitor. I don't see EA making a football management sim that is worth anything. The reason people get so wound up about a game not coming out is because it's so good. Just play the 11 version until 12 comes out and stop whining.

I'm playing 12 on the PC and it's an amazingly good game. The handheld version probably will be when it comes out too.

This is a joke, by the time it's released we will only get a month or so before squads get updated for January transfers and we have to start a new game with updated squads. Part of the enjoyment of playing is that it's alongside the real football season or maybe starts a month or two behind. At this rate half the real life season will have been played before we get near the game. What a shambles! Surely it won't be that different to the previous game so why the delay when other formats are out already!!!

Those guys who are kissing FMs ass about be patient - and all that sh*t - stfu. Why does it take so long just to release a standard game - I would have thought it would be quicker as its only for the ipad and iphone. I dont wana end up playing with old players when that transfer window occurs. Im sure the football season starts in September not December!

• SI Staff

Just want to make it clear that we haven't had any delays and that the current timeframe for release is what has always been planned. There are practical reasons for this and I'm sure there are probably good commercial ones as well, though those of us who actually work on the game don't deal with that side of things.

As soon as we're allowed to release any more information, I'm sure it will be posted here.

Those guys who are kissing FMs ass about be patient - and all that sh*t - stfu. Why does it take so long just to release a standard game - I would have thought it would be quicker as its only for the ipad and iphone. I dont wana end up playing with old players when that transfer window occurs. Im sure the football season starts in September not December!

As stated in numerous other threads Apple has an application process for all of the apps, as well as their own qa. Generally these are long time scales, also as noted in numerous other threads aswell as Alari here, there has been no mention of release date other than before Christmas, this has been the case for the past few versions of the app. And also worth a note Marc and the guys always push an update shortly after the transfer window so the game is still upto date.

And to think the game would be quicker just because its on an iphone /ipad shows how really niave you are to the production, coding and design of applications and software.

I don't know all the reasons for such a late release of a Football management game, obviously your pointing a large amount of blame at Apple. But you are surely losing out on sales by releasing the game 4 months after the season has started, also your profit off the Iphone/Pod/Pad games must be pretty minimal?

• SI Staff
I don't know all the reasons for such a late release of a Football management game, obviously your pointing a large amount of blame at Apple. But you are surely losing out on sales by releasing the game 4 months after the season has started, also your profit off the Iphone/Pod/Pad games must be pretty minimal?

I'm not pointing blame at anyone - Apple have been very good to work with on the handheld products, they do have submission procedures and suchlike and some regulations they like developers to follow .... but I've enjoyed working with them so far.

The game will be out before christmas, I'm not allowed to give out feature lists or a firm release date at this time and we are giving all the information we're allowed to presently.

I realize this is frustrating for you; please do understand its equally frustrating for me, I love talking about my games ... won't be too long now.

• SI Staff
can someone tell me if they had an update in january last year to reflect player transfers and was the ipad version also later than the pc one

The game has had a transfer update free of charge in each of its two previous iterations (as well as various other updates with fixes & enhancements in them).

The way it was implemented in last years game you could select the database you utilised when starting the game (so you could either use the 'start of season' or 'january deadline' databases - important if your favourite team had signed or sold a player you loved).

I'm not pointing blame at anyone - Apple have been very good to work with on the handheld products, they do have submission procedures and suchlike and some regulations they like developers to follow .... but I've enjoyed working with them so far.

The game will be out before christmas, I'm not allowed to give out feature lists or a firm release date at this time and we are giving all the information we're allowed to presently.

I realize this is frustrating for you; please do understand its equally frustrating for me, I love talking about my games ... won't be too long now.

I understand the position your in Marc and will remain patient, I was just wondering is the profit your making worth all the time and energy into making an IOS game. I bought last years but won't this time around as its nearly Christmas and just seems a bit of a waste for £7-8 when the season is nearly halfway through and would expect there to be a fair few of people thinking the same as me.

I understand the position your in Marc and will remain patient, I was just wondering is the profit your making worth all the time and energy into making an IOS game. I bought last years but won't this time around as its nearly Christmas and just seems a bit of a waste for £7-8 when the season is nearly halfway through and would expect there to be a fair few of people thinking the same as me.

I know where you're coming from its already half way-ish through the season and were just getting handed the game and then we'll be expected to do the same next year and the year after and so forth. :thdn:

Must admit - I do think it takes the biscuit that the season started in August - and here we are in November and there's no mention of the new version. Yes it's coming but when...? imo if the game had been released in September - maybe October then I'd be happy but frankly I'm not interested now as we're so far along the season - I'd rather play with my current saves on the soon to be 'old version'.

Also, the fact that Marc (not his fault) can't even talk about the features... silly. Look at any game release nowadays -we're released details one little trickle at a time. Marc should be allowed to give us something at least. How can we get excited / anticipate a game when we hear nothing. Yes we'll hear something soon, but imo it's far too late.

This is a joke, by the time it's released we will only get a month or so before squads get updated for January transfers and we have to start a new game with updated squads. Part of the enjoyment of playing is that it's alongside the real football season or maybe starts a month or two behind. At this rate half the real life season will have been played before we get near the game. What a shambles! Surely it won't be that different to the previous game so why the delay when other formats are out already!!!

Totally agree, surely the game should be released to coincide with the real life football season.

Why don't SI start development earlier if it takes this long to release?

It starts in August actually :-)

As stated in numerous other threads Apple has an application process for all of the apps, as well as their own qa. Generally these are long time scales, also as noted in numerous other threads aswell as Alari here, there has been no mention of release date other than before Christmas, this has been the case for the past few versions of the app. And also worth a note Marc and the guys always push an update shortly after the transfer window so the game is still upto date.

And to think the game would be quicker just because its on an iphone /ipad shows how really niave you are to the production, coding and design of applications and software.

Surely games that they are charging £7+ for take preference over £0.69 apps? Especially when they get thousands and thousands of downloads. Would this pay to employ more people to develop the game quicker?????

A few things as this is getting boring now (will be quoted when it applies).

1. Would you rather the game to be later and be near perfect or early August with less features and more bugs?

2. QA needs to be done, this takes time.

3. Apple need to do QA and approve the submission, at Christmas this is longer than usual.

4. Apple prevent SI talking about the game.

5. SEGA set the date, it is normally Q4 for FM as it is around Christmas and with people getting money/iTunes cards then it works out for the app to be released just before.

6. Be patient, it will be at most 5 weeks as complaining means Marc and the other SI guys are spending time answering your posts (unlike other companies) and not testing/making the game.

7. If you want a FMH type game quicker and if you know all about making, marketing and testing the games please be my guest to do it.

• SI Staff
Totally agree, surely the game should be released to coincide with the real life football season.

Why don't SI start development earlier if it takes this long to release?

We start development on one version as soon as development on the previous version is completed, can't really start much earlier than that really ;)

One of the reasons that we can't release right at the start of a season is simply that some league rules, transfers, whatever aren't completed and set in stone until that point (and bear in mind if we release right as the season starts the game development has to be finished a month plus (minimum) before hand) ... as such we 'could' release then, but run the risk of upsetting people by things being incorrect once they're finalised in real-life.

I fully understand peoples frustrations, bear with me ... I'm equally looking forward to the games release myself (and the more time I spend on here posting to try and calm you chaps down the less I'm spending actually final tweaks on the game).

Archived