FM2012 difficulty.

How are you finding the difficulty on FM2012?  

1,760 members have voted

1. 1. How are you finding the difficulty on FM2012?

• The game is too easy.
    • The difficulty is about right.
    • The game is too hard.

A lot of people seem to be finding that the game is too easy this year, with human players being able to dominate without much effort (see any number of threads on front page). However, SI are stating that they think the game is well balanced, and some players are saying that they find it challenging. So, here is a quick poll, to get a better an idea of what the consensus really is on this.

Vote away... :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry to say but i have to agree with SI playing as Mansfield Town in the BSP started with the lowest rep for my managers Sunday League Player i think it is, i am not dominating, i had a really good spell at the start of the season, midway point went on a loosing and drawing streak, lost ground on the play-offs, didnt help with star striker breaking his leg, and to wards the end of the season we have started to regain some form and with some luck will make the play offs.

also, i do not go and get the best players on frees or cheap from the good player guide, use any knowledge i have of players who i "could" sign, i only sign who my scouts actually scout and recommend and for positions i need to actually fill.

It seems fine to me.. did well in the Blue Square North after a hard start managed to get them promoted through the play offs. Now I am in the Blue Square Premier I was doing well and was midtable but I haven't won in 8 games now and only 6 points above relegation with 3 games left so I don't think it is too easy at all

1st season with Lille: won Ligue 1 without breaking a sweat. 2nd season: won Ligue 1 and Champions league (Chelsea, Tottenham, Barca and hammered Real in the final 2-0, with mediocre squad). 3rd season ongoing, not fun anymore. So yeah, based on my first serious save this game really seems frustratingly easy.

First career with Hibs. Finished 1st season 6th. Second season I'm currently 4th just in January.Maybe I'm not getting to grips with the team talks or my team is performing as expected. Can hardly get Gary O'Connor to score.

I see no difference in it and 11... Both are insanely easy, at least in the lower leagues. My first game I started in the BSP... after one season of building and generally struggling, I won consecutive league titles in the BSP, then League Two.. both in dominant fashion. InLeague 1 now, and struggling, but that's expected as my payroll budget has not caught up with the competition yet.

It should not have been that easy though to move up two divisions that quickly.... I managed to do the same thing last year.

Posted this in another similar thread as wel: this one.

I honestly think that FM never really has been that hard once you get to the top. And I have always find it especially easy once you start challenging with a team for Europe in one of the bigger leagues (England, Spain).

Maybe you could argue that this year's newgens are pretty good, so it is maybe easier to aquire good players on the cheap and therefore easier to make it to the top.

But this strategy (buying potential wordlbeaters at a young age) has always worked very well for me on past versions of FM (and CM).

I'm playing Ajax in my first 'adapt-to-the-new-version-first-save' - arguably a pretty good team - and I am dominating my league (starting season 4 tonight), but honestly I think I should as I'd consider myself a FM-veteran (been playing since '99) and Ajax have a very good starting position to dominate the league.

In Europe I have constantly qualified from the Champions League Group Stages, but after that I don't really stand a change against the Barcelona's, Madrid's and Man City/Utd's of this world (yet...). Biggest challenge so far is to keep hold of my promising players and mostly my fullbacks - my chairman has sold 3 of them already behind my back. Still have vd Wiel, who is struggling a bit IRL, but is godly in FM (certainly for the Eredivisie).

Conclusion: Never been that hard (managing in top leagues) and I don't think FM12 is that much easier than past versions (maybe slightly because of newgen-quality), and an important sidenote: I'm enjoying myself!

The thing I love about this game is that the difficulty level is in your own hands.

If you buy wonderkids, search the database and use third party scouting tools the game will be easy. If you use custom tried and tested formations (sharing them on the forums etc.) the game will be easy.

If you start with an average or poor side and use in game scouting and gutt feeling purchases then the game is much harder.

I for one do not want SI to tinker with the difficulty in any way as the balance seems fine to me.

If you start with an average or poor side and use in game scouting and gutt feeling purchases then the game is much harder.

Utter nonsense.

Season 1: Won Australian League with Gold Coast United who were predicted 8th out of 10 i think.

Season2: Won league and Champions League double.

Season3: Moved to the Belgian 2nd division with FCV Dender who were predicted in the bottom half. I won the league comfortably.

Season4: Was top of the belgian League the entire season until the split where i had 10 matches, all against Anderlecht, Genk, Gent and someone else. Finished 3rd, 2points off 1st.

Season5: Currently 2nd in table after 15 matches, came 2nd in my uefa cup group which consisted of Osasuna, Benfica and Celtic. Also still in the domestic cup.

So yeah, the game is really hard when you try to make it difficult. Newly promoted team whow eren't even meant to get out of the 2nd division nearly winning the Belgian Pro League at the first attempt, and with a wage budget of 30.8k, a squad full of 20 year olds and a load of debt.

Must just be me who thought FCV Dender should pose a bit of a challenge then....

In the past, I've always find it pretty much perfect in that with Spurs in my first season I'd battle for 4th spot. Sometimes I'd miss out but win a cup, but in recent years I'd pinch 4th and build on that.

2012? I'm top of the table currently fighting for the title with City and Utd.

Is the game easier or is the Tottenham squad really rather good? I'd say the latter. If I want a stern challenge then I need to pick another team.

That's my take on it.

At first I thought the game was ok. I played at inter for a season and was pushed right to the end. Then I moved to Bayern half way through 2nd season and struggled to keep them top 4. Roll on third season, Undefeated in all competitions across Europe. 2 Draws in the German First Division, 0 losses 35 points clear of 2nd position. Destroyed everyone in the Champions League and Blitzed the German Cup.

Havent started the 4th season yet but Im expecting the same thing as Ive sold Robben for 20m after he was out all season with injurys and Ribery is on his way out as well for 25m so Ill bring in younger better players on a quarter of their wages.

Is the game easier or is the Tottenham squad really rather good? I'd say the latter. If I want a stern challenge then I need to pick another team.

As a fellow Spurs supporter I'd say in real life this is a very strong Spurs squad. I've heard professional pundits talking about them finishing in the top three this season, so if we're doing a little better with Spurs this year that suggests that SI have reflected real life correctly.

I didn't vote, to be honest, I'd prefer a couple of middle options. In particular, I don't think the difficulty is about right, but it's not 'too easy' to the point where it's not enjoyable playing it, and it does not provide any level of challenge. Basically, I would like to see improvement from the AI to make it's decisions better and more competitive. Overachieving, right now (and since I got the 'hang of' FM 11) happens for me close to 9 seasons in 10, simply because I'm making smart decisions regarding squad management and signing good players. I'm not jumping up a league every year or anything, just usually ending up a few places over where I'm expected to be. I can't help feeling that the AI focuses on quantity not quality when signing players, maybe because it struggles with squad rotation and this is a kind of compensation - or maybe I'm just talking out my backside and the real problem is elsewhere? I'm sure only a couple of tweaks could make it more competitive, at that point the difficulty of the game would probably be about right.

Utter nonsense.

Season 1: Won Australian League with Gold Coast United who were predicted 8th out of 10 i think.

Season2: Won league and Champions League double.

Season3: Moved to the Belgian 2nd division with FCV Dender who were predicted in the bottom half. I won the league comfortably.

Season4: Was top of the belgian League the entire season until the split where i had 10 matches, all against Anderlecht, Genk, Gent and someone else. Finished 3rd, 2points off 1st.

Season5: Currently 2nd in table after 15 matches, came 2nd in my uefa cup group which consisted of Osasuna, Benfica and Celtic. Also still in the domestic cup.

So yeah, the game is really hard when you try to make it difficult. Newly promoted team whow eren't even meant to get out of the 2nd division nearly winning the Belgian Pro League at the first attempt, and with a wage budget of 30.8k, a squad full of 20 year olds and a load of debt.

Must just be me who thought FCV Dender should pose a bit of a challenge then....

I see no reason to think you cheated so I am convinced that we are all a bunch of genius ;) yes, we should apply for the Nobel prize

FM has never been very difficult.

I expect more of the AI in 2012, though. I expect that they use the tools at their disposal and reflect real-life football management as closely as possible. If what people say happens in long-term games is true, then the AI is truly left behind this version.

If SI creates an optional download "hardcore mode" where all the AI clubs actually sign players in an attempt to become better clubs, and use the tactical tools at their disposal in-game, and manages to keep their squads motivated, I and many others would be delighted. If this is done by "cheating" the AI that is fine by me - I would say that is a challenge too.

If SI creates an optional download "hardcore mode" where all the AI clubs actually sign players in an attempt to become better clubs, and use the tactical tools at their disposal in-game, and manages to keep their squads motivated, I and many others would be delighted. If this is done by "cheating" the AI that is fine by me - I would say that is a challenge too.

Another marvellous idea. Yes, I agree that would be the perfect solution to fix FM troubles.

Difficulty seems about right to me... Into 2nd season now with Newcastle, finished 7th first season (missing Europe on 2 points, grrrrr)...

Not to easy in my mind, and I think you can make it more difficult for yourself by starting as sunday-league-footballer with no past experience at a small club... That way it won't be that easy... Ofcourse, if you take over Arsenal, Barcelona or AC Milan, the game is easier than when you're playing SC Cambuur or Dagenham & Redbridge...

I expect more of the AI in 2012, though. I expect that they use the tools at their disposal and reflect real-life football management as closely as possible. If what people say happens in long-term games is true, then the AI is truly left behind this version.

i think the overall squad building in this fm is better than any of the previous fms.

if you look at the party like its 2075 thread, they actually can put together solid teams. people have done what he has done before and clubs never were built again.

Been asking for a hardcore mode forever, doubt it will ever happen though :(

As a fellow Spurs supporter I'd say in real life this is a very strong Spurs squad. I've heard professional pundits talking about them finishing in the top three this season, so if we're doing a little better with Spurs this year that suggests that SI have reflected real life correctly.

Spot on there. It's a very strong squad.

I totally agree with that AI squad building problems and the use of funds in general. In real life, Barca, Real etc. use dozens of millions every summer for transfers, yet I see them using barely five million on average. Even City hardly does anything out of the ordinary. And a lot of teams are really keen to spend huge amounts of money for my aging players.

I totally agree with that AI squad building problems and the use of funds in general. In real life, Barca, Real etc. use dozens of millions every summer for transfers, yet I see them using barely five million on average. Even City hardly does anything out of the ordinary. And a lot of teams are really keen to spend huge amounts of money for my aging players.

i wish someone would spend money on my aging players. i'm having a hard time selling anyone for a decent sum lol

i wish someone would spend money on my aging players. i'm having a hard time selling anyone for a decent sum lol

Oh? I keep my transfer settings at 200%, no problems at all. Players I don't seem to get rid off that easily are well over 30 years old who don't get any first team playing time.

I've noticed alot of people who have been saying its too easy start posts along the lines of "I've been playing for years", "I've been playing since CM02" etc.

Perhaps thats why you find it so easy?

Imagine your learning a new language. Imagine how you struggle at first. Now imagine how well you can speak the language 5, 6 or 7 years down the line.

The games not eaiser; its just your better at beating it.

I've noticed alot of people who have been saying its too easy start posts along the lines of "I've been playing for years", "I've been playing since CM02" etc.

Perhaps thats why you find it so easy?

Imagine your learning a new language. Imagine how you struggle at first. Now imagine how well you can speak the language 5, 6 or 7 years down the line.

The games not eaiser; its just your better at beating it.

Many people find it too easy, using the default tactic, with a minimum of new signings, and then just continue, continue and continue. That is my personal problem with this. If I spend 15 minuttes on the tactic screen for each match, I would feel different about it.

In my demo games i have been clicking continue without even subbing players, and still massively overachived. Starting to make sophisticated tactics seems pointless when you know you can win by doing nothing

Many people find it too easy, using the default tactic, with a minimum of new signings, and then just continue, continue and continue. That is my personal problem with this. If I spend 15 minuttes on the tactic screen for each match, I would feel different about it.

In my demo games i have been clicking continue without even subbing players, and still massively overachived. Starting to make sophisticated tactics seems pointless when you know you can win by doing nothing

Agreed.

Hm, thats what i thought. Every 3rd player is not happy with difficulty. Well, can we get difficulty levels in future or more balanced game?

Or to Qoute BiggusD:

"If SI creates an optional download "hardcore mode" where all the AI clubs actually sign players in an attempt to become better clubs, and use the tactical tools at their disposal in-game, and manages to keep their squads motivated, I and many others would be delighted. If this is done by "cheating" the AI that is fine by me - I would say that is a challenge too."

This edition of FM is no challenge. I have played with some minor teams - Gloucester, Kidderminster...and scored 6,7 goals in every match without to concede. Sorry, but this is not fun..I really enjoyed FM11 and hope that SI will fix the problem soon..

Difficulty is fine, maybe further down the line, the AI managers can build squads better. Another difficulty setting may ruin the realism of the game. Also, shame on the people in here that claim it is easy but view threads about good youngsters, non league gems and visit the tactics forum. You know who you are. Disgrace

And no-one's forcing you to do nothing but hit continue over and over again: whether you win or lose that's so boring I wouldn't want to do it. I don't care if I can win the Champion's League by doing nothing but hit continue because I don't want to spend hours doing nothing but hit the space bar so it doesn't tempt me.

Difficulty is fine, maybe further down the line, the AI managers can build squads better. Another difficulty setting may ruin the realism of the game. Also, shame on the people in here that claim it is easy but view threads about good youngsters, non league gems and visit the tactics forum. You know who you are. Disgrace

Viewing threads about good youngsters should be reasonably worthless because the AI should know they are good youngsters too and snatch them in front of your face.

There are no non-league gems. PA is fixed.

Visiting the tactics forum doesn't make a huge difference when people are just using the default tactic to win everything by clicking continue.

There is no realism in this game. Not only will Barcelona and Real Madrid -never- build a team as good as the one they have now again, but clubs like Napoli, Palermo, Porto, Benfica et.al (okay clubs with some downright superstars) will never again develop players of that quality again; the structure is simply not in place at those clubs to let that happen... so how did they build the teams they have now?

The AI does -everything- wrong. That is what breaks my suspension-of-disbelief the most.

Norway's International team is a mediocre European team now, with some decent talent going out to clubs in Spain, Germany and Italy early in the game. Once those players retire in 10-15 years time, there will be no players of that quality coming from that nation ever again. The Norwegian clubs will produce players of Good Championship to Decent Premier League quality at best and that's that. This can be said for all medium-small football nations which have good players in top leagues at the start of the game. I assure you, Slovakia won't see another Hamsik...

Maybe there's exceptions to this rule but I haven't seen that happen. I hope that FM12 has changed this but my hopes are dwindling as we speak.

As great a game FM is, the AI is definitely left behind now. As such, multiplayer is the best option.

Archived