View Poll Results: How are you finding the difficulty on FM2012?

Voters
1754. You may not vote on this poll
  • The game is too easy.

532 30.33%
  • The difficulty is about right.

1,081 61.63%
  • The game is too hard.

141 8.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: FM2012 difficulty.

Amateur

Default FM2012 difficulty.

A lot of people seem to be finding that the game is too easy this year, with human players being able to dominate without much effort (see any number of threads on front page). However, SI are stating that they think the game is well balanced, and some players are saying that they find it challenging. So, here is a quick poll, to get a better an idea of what the consensus really is on this.

Vote away...
    Last edited by Blinkenlights Faxlore; 31-10-2011 at 18:45.

Amateur

seems about right for me..but not played too much of it yet.

Amateur

sorry to say but i have to agree with SI playing as Mansfield Town in the BSP started with the lowest rep for my managers Sunday League Player i think it is, i am not dominating, i had a really good spell at the start of the season, midway point went on a loosing and drawing streak, lost ground on the play-offs, didnt help with star striker breaking his leg, and to wards the end of the season we have started to regain some form and with some luck will make the play offs.

also, i do not go and get the best players on frees or cheap from the good player guide, use any knowledge i have of players who i "could" sign, i only sign who my scouts actually scout and recommend and for positions i need to actually fill.

Amateur

It seems fine to me.. did well in the Blue Square North after a hard start managed to get them promoted through the play offs. Now I am in the Blue Square Premier I was doing well and was midtable but I haven't won in 8 games now and only 6 points above relegation with 3 games left so I don't think it is too easy at all

Part-Timer

I'm not finding it easier than FM11..

On FM11 a lot of people were also claiming that they could take a team from the lowest division and promote them with no tweaks and just a standard 442, doesn't seem that much difference to me now.

Amateur

Tnx for pool m8.

Amateur

1st season with Lille: won Ligue 1 without breaking a sweat. 2nd season: won Ligue 1 and Champions league (Chelsea, Tottenham, Barca and hammered Real in the final 2-0, with mediocre squad). 3rd season ongoing, not fun anymore. So yeah, based on my first serious save this game really seems frustratingly easy.

Amateur

First career with Hibs. Finished 1st season 6th. Second season I'm currently 4th just in January.Maybe I'm not getting to grips with the team talks or my team is performing as expected. Can hardly get Gary O'Connor to score.

Amateur

I see no difference in it and 11... Both are insanely easy, at least in the lower leagues. My first game I started in the BSP... after one season of building and generally struggling, I won consecutive league titles in the BSP, then League Two.. both in dominant fashion. InLeague 1 now, and struggling, but that's expected as my payroll budget has not caught up with the competition yet.

It should not have been that easy though to move up two divisions that quickly.... I managed to do the same thing last year.

Amateur

Well, Lille are a pretty decent team, didn't they win last year? ofc you dont expect them to win the CL, but with luck they could.

Third Team

The difficulty is about right.
    www.fmbosnia.com - The game starts here

Banned

It would be nice now to have a definition of " vast majority " considering that seeing the poll's results 35% of customers find the game too easy.

Part-Timer

I don't know. First season did way too well, then got Second Season Syndrome really bad. Not a large enough sample to judge yet.

Amateur

Posted this in another similar thread as wel: this one.

I honestly think that FM never really has been that hard once you get to the top. And I have always find it especially easy once you start challenging with a team for Europe in one of the bigger leagues (England, Spain).
    Maybe you could argue that this year's newgens are pretty good, so it is maybe easier to aquire good players on the cheap and therefore easier to make it to the top.
    But this strategy (buying potential wordlbeaters at a young age) has always worked very well for me on past versions of FM (and CM).

I'm playing Ajax in my first 'adapt-to-the-new-version-first-save' - arguably a pretty good team - and I am dominating my league (starting season 4 tonight), but honestly I think I should as I'd consider myself a FM-veteran (been playing since '99) and Ajax have a very good starting position to dominate the league.

In Europe I have constantly qualified from the Champions League Group Stages, but after that I don't really stand a change against the Barcelona's, Madrid's and Man City/Utd's of this world (yet...). Biggest challenge so far is to keep hold of my promising players and mostly my fullbacks - my chairman has sold 3 of them already behind my back. Still have vd Wiel, who is struggling a bit IRL, but is godly in FM (certainly for the Eredivisie).

Conclusion: Never been that hard (managing in top leagues) and I don't think FM12 is that much easier than past versions (maybe slightly because of newgen-quality), and an important sidenote: I'm enjoying myself!

Part-Timer

The thing I love about this game is that the difficulty level is in your own hands.

If you buy wonderkids, search the database and use third party scouting tools the game will be easy. If you use custom tried and tested formations (sharing them on the forums etc.) the game will be easy.

If you start with an average or poor side and use in game scouting and gutt feeling purchases then the game is much harder.

I for one do not want SI to tinker with the difficulty in any way as the balance seems fine to me.

Part-Timer

I think the the difficulty is about right.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by bazrah99 View Post

If you start with an average or poor side and use in game scouting and gutt feeling purchases then the game is much harder.
    Utter nonsense.

Season 1: Won Australian League with Gold Coast United who were predicted 8th out of 10 i think.

Season2: Won league and Champions League double.

Season3: Moved to the Belgian 2nd division with FCV Dender who were predicted in the bottom half. I won the league comfortably.

Season4: Was top of the belgian League the entire season until the split where i had 10 matches, all against Anderlecht, Genk, Gent and someone else. Finished 3rd, 2points off 1st.

Season5: Currently 2nd in table after 15 matches, came 2nd in my uefa cup group which consisted of Osasuna, Benfica and Celtic. Also still in the domestic cup.

So yeah, the game is really hard when you try to make it difficult. Newly promoted team whow eren't even meant to get out of the 2nd division nearly winning the Belgian Pro League at the first attempt, and with a wage budget of 30.8k, a squad full of 20 year olds and a load of debt.

Must just be me who thought FCV Dender should pose a bit of a challenge then....

In the past, I've always find it pretty much perfect in that with Spurs in my first season I'd battle for 4th spot. Sometimes I'd miss out but win a cup, but in recent years I'd pinch 4th and build on that.

2012? I'm top of the table currently fighting for the title with City and Utd.

Is the game easier or is the Tottenham squad really rather good? I'd say the latter. If I want a stern challenge then I need to pick another team.

That's my take on it.

Amateur

At first I thought the game was ok. I played at inter for a season and was pushed right to the end. Then I moved to Bayern half way through 2nd season and struggled to keep them top 4. Roll on third season, Undefeated in all competitions across Europe. 2 Draws in the German First Division, 0 losses 35 points clear of 2nd position. Destroyed everyone in the Champions League and Blitzed the German Cup.

Havent started the 4th season yet but Im expecting the same thing as Ive sold Robben for 20m after he was out all season with injurys and Ribery is on his way out as well for 25m so Ill bring in younger better players on a quarter of their wages.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by urbanjunkie View Post

Is the game easier or is the Tottenham squad really rather good? I'd say the latter. If I want a stern challenge then I need to pick another team.
    As a fellow Spurs supporter I'd say in real life this is a very strong Spurs squad. I've heard professional pundits talking about them finishing in the top three this season, so if we're doing a little better with Spurs this year that suggests that SI have reflected real life correctly.

Part-Timer

I didn't vote, to be honest, I'd prefer a couple of middle options. In particular, I don't think the difficulty is about right, but it's not 'too easy' to the point where it's not enjoyable playing it, and it does not provide any level of challenge. Basically, I would like to see improvement from the AI to make it's decisions better and more competitive. Overachieving, right now (and since I got the 'hang of' FM 11) happens for me close to 9 seasons in 10, simply because I'm making smart decisions regarding squad management and signing good players. I'm not jumping up a league every year or anything, just usually ending up a few places over where I'm expected to be. I can't help feeling that the AI focuses on quantity not quality when signing players, maybe because it struggles with squad rotation and this is a kind of compensation - or maybe I'm just talking out my backside and the real problem is elsewhere? I'm sure only a couple of tweaks could make it more competitive, at that point the difficulty of the game would probably be about right.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21 View Post
    Utter nonsense.

Season 1: Won Australian League with Gold Coast United who were predicted 8th out of 10 i think.

Season2: Won league and Champions League double.

Season3: Moved to the Belgian 2nd division with FCV Dender who were predicted in the bottom half. I won the league comfortably.

Season4: Was top of the belgian League the entire season until the split where i had 10 matches, all against Anderlecht, Genk, Gent and someone else. Finished 3rd, 2points off 1st.

Season5: Currently 2nd in table after 15 matches, came 2nd in my uefa cup group which consisted of Osasuna, Benfica and Celtic. Also still in the domestic cup.

So yeah, the game is really hard when you try to make it difficult. Newly promoted team whow eren't even meant to get out of the 2nd division nearly winning the Belgian Pro League at the first attempt, and with a wage budget of 30.8k, a squad full of 20 year olds and a load of debt.

Must just be me who thought FCV Dender should pose a bit of a challenge then....
    I see no reason to think you cheated so I am convinced that we are all a bunch of genius yes, we should apply for the Nobel prize

Youth Team

FM has never been very difficult.

I expect more of the AI in 2012, though. I expect that they use the tools at their disposal and reflect real-life football management as closely as possible. If what people say happens in long-term games is true, then the AI is truly left behind this version.

If SI creates an optional download "hardcore mode" where all the AI clubs actually sign players in an attempt to become better clubs, and use the tactical tools at their disposal in-game, and manages to keep their squads motivated, I and many others would be delighted. If this is done by "cheating" the AI that is fine by me - I would say that is a challenge too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BiggusD View Post
    If SI creates an optional download "hardcore mode" where all the AI clubs actually sign players in an attempt to become better clubs, and use the tactical tools at their disposal in-game, and manages to keep their squads motivated, I and many others would be delighted. If this is done by "cheating" the AI that is fine by me - I would say that is a challenge too.
    Another marvellous idea. Yes, I agree that would be the perfect solution to fix FM troubles.

Amateur

Difficulty seems about right to me... Into 2nd season now with Newcastle, finished 7th first season (missing Europe on 2 points, grrrrr)...
    Not to easy in my mind, and I think you can make it more difficult for yourself by starting as sunday-league-footballer with no past experience at a small club... That way it won't be that easy... Ofcourse, if you take over Arsenal, Barcelona or AC Milan, the game is easier than when you're playing SC Cambuur or Dagenham & Redbridge...

Semi Pro

I expect more of the AI in 2012, though. I expect that they use the tools at their disposal and reflect real-life football management as closely as possible. If what people say happens in long-term games is true, then the AI is truly left behind this version.

i think the overall squad building in this fm is better than any of the previous fms.

if you look at the party like its 2075 thread, they actually can put together solid teams. people have done what he has done before and clubs never were built again.

Part-Timer

Been asking for a hardcore mode forever, doubt it will ever happen though

Quote Originally Posted by Graham206 View Post
    As a fellow Spurs supporter I'd say in real life this is a very strong Spurs squad. I've heard professional pundits talking about them finishing in the top three this season, so if we're doing a little better with Spurs this year that suggests that SI have reflected real life correctly.
    Spot on there. It's a very strong squad.

Amateur

I'm finding this version way too hard

Amateur

I totally agree with that AI squad building problems and the use of funds in general. In real life, Barca, Real etc. use dozens of millions every summer for transfers, yet I see them using barely five million on average. Even City hardly does anything out of the ordinary. And a lot of teams are really keen to spend huge amounts of money for my aging players.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by patonki View Post
    I totally agree with that AI squad building problems and the use of funds in general. In real life, Barca, Real etc. use dozens of millions every summer for transfers, yet I see them using barely five million on average. Even City hardly does anything out of the ordinary. And a lot of teams are really keen to spend huge amounts of money for my aging players.
    i wish someone would spend money on my aging players. i'm having a hard time selling anyone for a decent sum lol

Third Team

People need to not use the search filter to find amazing regens. But I also agree that the AI needs to be better at building a team and challenge you for these amazing regens!

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by jase19 View Post
    i wish someone would spend money on my aging players. i'm having a hard time selling anyone for a decent sum lol
    Oh? I keep my transfer settings at 200%, no problems at all. Players I don't seem to get rid off that easily are well over 30 years old who don't get any first team playing time.

Amateur

I think it is slightly too easy at the minute.

Playing Liverpool, no players bought in the 1st season, and I'm top of the league by 2 points after 31 games.

Man Utd are 4th with 58 points, 15 points behind me.

Amateur

I've noticed alot of people who have been saying its too easy start posts along the lines of "I've been playing for years", "I've been playing since CM02" etc.

Perhaps thats why you find it so easy?

Imagine your learning a new language. Imagine how you struggle at first. Now imagine how well you can speak the language 5, 6 or 7 years down the line.

The games not eaiser; its just your better at beating it.

Amateur

Go and manage Cliftonville and tell me if its too easy.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by DMN (YCFC) View Post
    I've noticed alot of people who have been saying its too easy start posts along the lines of "I've been playing for years", "I've been playing since CM02" etc.

Perhaps thats why you find it so easy?

Imagine your learning a new language. Imagine how you struggle at first. Now imagine how well you can speak the language 5, 6 or 7 years down the line.

The games not eaiser; its just your better at beating it.
    Many people find it too easy, using the default tactic, with a minimum of new signings, and then just continue, continue and continue. That is my personal problem with this. If I spend 15 minuttes on the tactic screen for each match, I would feel different about it.
    In my demo games i have been clicking continue without even subbing players, and still massively overachived. Starting to make sophisticated tactics seems pointless when you know you can win by doing nothing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Many people find it too easy, using the default tactic, with a minimum of new signings, and then just continue, continue and continue. That is my personal problem with this. If I spend 15 minuttes on the tactic screen for each match, I would feel different about it.
    In my demo games i have been clicking continue without even subbing players, and still massively overachived. Starting to make sophisticated tactics seems pointless when you know you can win by doing nothing
    Agreed.

Last edited by SeanNUFC; 01-11-2011 at 14:39. Reason: misread poll results, lol, still high on too easy though. :)

Amateur

Hm, thats what i thought. Every 3rd player is not happy with difficulty. Well, can we get difficulty levels in future or more balanced game?

Or to Qoute BiggusD:

"If SI creates an optional download "hardcore mode" where all the AI clubs actually sign players in an attempt to become better clubs, and use the tactical tools at their disposal in-game, and manages to keep their squads motivated, I and many others would be delighted. If this is done by "cheating" the AI that is fine by me - I would say that is a challenge too."

Amateur

i don't think it's SI problem ..

whatever they did, it's easy for me.

'' too easy to be honest ''

Amateur

This edition of FM is no challenge. I have played with some minor teams - Gloucester, Kidderminster...and scored 6,7 goals in every match without to concede. Sorry, but this is not fun..I really enjoyed FM11 and hope that SI will fix the problem soon..

Amateur

always thought FM was difficult, so I am really happy that this year it's a bit more fun to play.

Amateur

Difficulty spot on for me. But I never use search facilities for players and don't sign players that haven't been offered or suggested to me by Coachs, Scouts and agents.

Amateur

Difficulty is fine, maybe further down the line, the AI managers can build squads better. Another difficulty setting may ruin the realism of the game. Also, shame on the people in here that claim it is easy but view threads about good youngsters, non league gems and visit the tactics forum. You know who you are. Disgrace

Part-Timer

i think its about right.

Amateur

And no-one's forcing you to do nothing but hit continue over and over again: whether you win or lose that's so boring I wouldn't want to do it. I don't care if I can win the Champion's League by doing nothing but hit continue because I don't want to spend hours doing nothing but hit the space bar so it doesn't tempt me.

Amateur

I keep winning 7-1 6-0 as normal results with Nott Forest.
    Yesterday I Won against Leicester (5th Place) 0-4... too easy i have no challenge... Please fix the game

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman Jones View Post
    Difficulty is fine, maybe further down the line, the AI managers can build squads better. Another difficulty setting may ruin the realism of the game. Also, shame on the people in here that claim it is easy but view threads about good youngsters, non league gems and visit the tactics forum. You know who you are. Disgrace
    Viewing threads about good youngsters should be reasonably worthless because the AI should know they are good youngsters too and snatch them in front of your face.

There are no non-league gems. PA is fixed.

Visiting the tactics forum doesn't make a huge difference when people are just using the default tactic to win everything by clicking continue.

There is no realism in this game. Not only will Barcelona and Real Madrid -never- build a team as good as the one they have now again, but clubs like Napoli, Palermo, Porto, Benfica et.al (okay clubs with some downright superstars) will never again develop players of that quality again; the structure is simply not in place at those clubs to let that happen... so how did they build the teams they have now?

The AI does -everything- wrong. That is what breaks my suspension-of-disbelief the most.

Norway's International team is a mediocre European team now, with some decent talent going out to clubs in Spain, Germany and Italy early in the game. Once those players retire in 10-15 years time, there will be no players of that quality coming from that nation ever again. The Norwegian clubs will produce players of Good Championship to Decent Premier League quality at best and that's that. This can be said for all medium-small football nations which have good players in top leagues at the start of the game. I assure you, Slovakia won't see another Hamsik...

Maybe there's exceptions to this rule but I haven't seen that happen. I hope that FM12 has changed this but my hopes are dwindling as we speak.

As great a game FM is, the AI is definitely left behind now. As such, multiplayer is the best option.

Can the game be made challenging (in a realistic way) using the editor?

Semi Pro

As an observation I have noticed the distinct lack of AI cheat threads.

Semi Pro

i find it funny that all the posting is about it being too easy, yet the majority of the votes seem to be about it being just fine.

Banned

If its easy, go someone else, do challenges, etc etc etc
    boring

Amateur

Wow, I'm really hopeless at this game.

Amateur

until they fix this issue it's useless playing this game

Part-Timer
    Playing FM here: http://fm-fmo.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by FestyF View Post
    Can the game be made challenging (in a realistic way) using the editor?
    Sort of. You can improve AI squads, AI staff, and AI youth infrastructure. Unfortunately its only a short term fix since all the people you edit dissapear out of the game after a few seasons anyway due to retirements. Eventually much poorer newgens replace them, and as has been mentioned the AI doesn't have a clue about developing or creating decent squads anyway.

In that respect the editors use is fine for short games but very limited for the long term.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by jase19 View Post
    i find it funny that all the posting is about it being too easy, yet the majority of the votes seem to be about it being just fine.
    If this poll is representative of the playerbase as a whole, I bet Sega's business analyst doesn't find it funny that over a third of the games players are dissatisfied.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus1876 View Post
    If this poll is representative of the playerbase as a whole, I bet Sega's business analyst doesn't find it funny that over a third of the games players are dissatisfied.
    This poll is a tiny representation of the people who frequent an internet forum. I doubt sega or SI are even slightly concerned by this poll judging by how well they are doing in the charts.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by billyboyeden View Post
    This poll is a tiny representation of the people who frequent an internet forum. I doubt sega or SI are even slightly concerned by this poll judging by how well they are doing in the charts.
    Thats why I used the word *if*.

Part-Timer

Viewing threads about good youngsters should be reasonably worthless because the AI should know they are good youngsters too and snatch them in front of your face.

There are no non-league gems. PA is fixed.

Visiting the tactics forum doesn't make a huge difference when people are just using the default tactic to win everything by clicking continue.

There is no realism in this game. Not only will Barcelona and Real Madrid -never- build a team as good as the one they have now again, but clubs like Napoli, Palermo, Porto, Benfica et.al (okay clubs with some downright superstars) will never again develop players of that quality again; the structure is simply not in place at those clubs to let that happen... so how did they build the teams they have now?

The AI does -everything- wrong. That is what breaks my suspension-of-disbelief the most.

Norway's International team is a mediocre European team now, with some decent talent going out to clubs in Spain, Germany and Italy early in the game. Once those players retire in 10-15 years time, there will be no players of that quality coming from that nation ever again. The Norwegian clubs will produce players of Good Championship to Decent Premier League quality at best and that's that. This can be said for all medium-small football nations which have good players in top leagues at the start of the game. I assure you, Slovakia won't see another Hamsik...

Maybe there's exceptions to this rule but I haven't seen that happen. I hope that FM12 has changed this but my hopes are dwindling as we speak.

As great a game FM is, the AI is definitely left behind now. As such, multiplayer is the best option.

SI should employ you. You pretty much nailed the problem with your posts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by urbanjunkie View Post
    In the past, I've always find it pretty much perfect in that with Spurs in my first season I'd battle for 4th spot. Sometimes I'd miss out but win a cup, but in recent years I'd pinch 4th and build on that.

2012? I'm top of the table currently fighting for the title with City and Utd.

That's my take on it.
    A really, really top manager could have an injury-free Tottenham challenging for the league in real life in my opinion. Not sure about winning it, but challenging most certainly, and that is without any extra signings. We almost have a very complete squad, bar one or two signings. so, if you are a good FM manager and have made some signings, then there's no reason why you shouldn't be challenging. The problem is when you're beating top teams 5-0, which I have seen in FM12.

In regards to FM11, i'd always be fighting for 4th with Spurs in my first season. It'd usually take me about 3 seasons before winning the league(I slowly evolve the squad rather than spend £100m like some do), but once I won it, I would dominate Europe and England. This was simply down to the terrible AI refusing to buy players, or when they did they'd be mid-table quality at best. Also add in the appalling AI managerial appointments(Gross at Man utd for example, McCleish at Arsenal) and it was simply not fun anymore.

Even if you do start at the bottom, within yrs you are moving up seamlessley due to the poor AI. Bottom line- AI needs to be much better, much better in order to keep the long-termers and better players around.

Sort of. You can improve AI squads, AI staff, and AI youth infrastructure. Unfortunately its only a short term fix since all the people you edit dissapear out of the game after a few seasons anyway due to retirements. Eventually much poorer newgens replace them, and as has been mentioned the AI doesn't have a clue about developing or creating decent squads anyway.

In that respect the editors use is fine for short games but very limited for the long term.
    I agree but even for the short games, giving clubs boost in facilities (when they are **** in real life) is unrealistic. So only way to make the game challenging is the smart AI squad building and smart AI tactical choices, which unfortunately isn't possible with the editor.
    Last edited by FestyF; 02-11-2011 at 12:54.

Amateur

Thats why I used the word *if*.
    Sorry, I didn't mean my post to come across arsey.

Just that some people get aggressive when blindly criticising or defending the game when in fact this forum represents a very small minority of the overall user base.

Amateur

I had to vote it's about right, but I've only started 1 save so far, with one of the worst teams in Serie C2. Finished 3rd and 5th but no promotion. Every match is a pain and a struggle with players constantly gifting possession away, conceding incredible corners, running the ball off the pitch, etc, and I'm constantly frustrated. So I wouldn't say it has been too easy for me so far, but maybe I'm garbage at this. True, results have been unrealistically good, but hey... it's a game, and 100% realism would kill it.

Amateur

Im playing with Newcastle as a Sunday League Manager. 3 games into the league and i'm yet to win. Difficulty is about right to me.

Banned

Shouldn't read this thread when doing other things. (quoted wrong post)

Have still found a way to enjoy this game funnily enough, by using my own rules. Seems to be working but don't think they'd work for everyone. It is definitely easier than previous versions though.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by billyboyeden View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean my post to come across arsey.

Just that some people get aggressive when blindly criticising or defending the game when in fact this forum represents a very small minority of the overall user base.
    No problem, anyway you're right I don't think they'll be too worried about this poll to be honest. Its just frustrating because I think this is the best version of FM yet despite its ease. Fingers crossed they make AI a priority for next year
    Last edited by Erimus1876; 02-11-2011 at 13:18.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by SeanNUFC View Post
    Shouldn't read this thread when doing other things. (quoted wrong post)

Have still found a way to enjoy this game funnily enough, by using my own rules. Seems to be working but don't think they'd work for everyone. It is definitely easier than previous versions though.

What rules are you using?

I've tried leaving TT's to the assistant, setting match prep to none, and using default 4-4-2. Have you found any other things to avoid?

Part-Timer

I agree but even for the short games, giving clubs boost in facilities (when they are **** in real life) is unrealistic. So only way to make the game challenging is the smart AI squad building and smart AI tactical choices, which unfortunately isn't possible with the editor.
    There is another way, but not many like doing it. You can use FMRTE to boost your rivals' squads and coaching staff attributes before each new season. Its not cheating since you're only improving AI squads. It does make it harder, but its time consuming and sometimes can mess up your saves (so always make a backup first!).

Banned

What rules are you using?

I've tried leaving TT's to the assistant, setting match prep to none, and using default 4-4-2. Have you found any other things to avoid?
    Avoid using opposition instructions. Everytime i use them, i score with ease. Games more realistic without them, also using classic tactics. Still 4-4-2 but im having to adjust things during games to win sometimes and have been knocked out of the cl group with dortmund(funny that im writing that as though its an achievement isn't it?). The match preparation is still average. Think there's a couple of other things i might have forgotten but these are the main ones.Oh yeah, and ive taking my right central defender away from near post in corners(was on the default setting to), seems to score too often like in fm10! (had 3 in 12 and i could see that being much more by the end of the season, scoring too many as a team in general from corners i think to, not so much now though)
    Last edited by SeanNUFC; 02-11-2011 at 13:25.

Part-Timer

Avoid using opposition instructions. Everytime i use them, i score with ease. Games more realistic without them, also using classic tactics. Still 4-4-2 but im having to adjust things during games to win sometimes and have been knocked out of the cl group with dortmund(funny that im writing that as though its an achievement isn't it?). The match preparation is still average. Think there's a couple of other things i might have forgotten but these are the main ones.Oh yeah, and ive taking my right central defender away from near post in corners, seems to score too often like in fm10! (had 3 in 12 and i could see that being much more by the end of the season, scoring too many as a team in general from corners i think to, not so much now though)
    Thanks, I never thought about avoiding using opposition instructions. I only use classic tactics anyway and never mess with setpieces. I'll add the no opp instructions to my game and see how it goes. I decided to give it a second chance and reinstall it now there's a database with the Northern League activated. Starting right at the bottom, its got to be tough down there!

Banned

Let me know if you get too many corner goals without messing with it.

but why would you not use opposition instructions though? IRL, every manager keeps an eye on dangerous opposition players.

Not using 'player and staff search feature' for example makes the game bit more challenging (whilst keeping it realistic) imo.

Banned

Because it makes the game too easy, have i not just said that? In real life i wouldn't win 6 or 7-0 just by using them. So i'm going to avoid using the broken bits of the game.(or what i view as broken) And its worked. There's still other ways to make changes which have more realistic impacts on the game atleast.

Because it makes the game too easy, have i not just said that? In real life i wouldn't win 6 or 7-0 just by using them. So i'm going to avoid using the broken bits of the game.(or what i view as broken) And its worked. There's still other ways to make changes which have more realistic impacts on the game atleast.
    I agree it's your fix and you are enjoying it but just for the sake of realism, why would I not tell my players to close down/tight mark an attacking opposition player if I know giving him time and space would be suicidal? Not doing so would be like losing on purpose, and there is no joy in it.

Amateur

Avoiding some key options to play challenging game make no sense! I suppose SI is working on this problem, because it exist for sure. Hopefully they release an AI fix soon. The AI level of FM11 was pretty good..just take it from there

Banned

I agree it's your fix and you are enjoying it but just for the sake of realism, why would I not tell my players to close down/tight mark an attacking opposition player if I know giving him time and space would be suicidal? Not doing so would be like losing on purpose, and there is no joy in it.
    Thing is they are not totally crucial to my tactics anyway unless i use them, i don't lose often or anything, the games just more balanced. Personally find more joy in this than winning 6-0 every match. (since SI isn;t going to do anything about it i'm going to have to find my own way to enjoy after spending 30 quid, as its a good enough game for that overall)

Amateur

Just voted "about right", but i never use opposition instruction. Might be the reason why i find the difficulty "just right".

Amateur

Thing is they are not totally crucial to my tactics anyway unless i use them, i don't lose often or anything, the games just more balanced. Personally find more joy in this than winning 6-0 every match. (since SI isn;t going to do anything about it i'm going to have to find my own way to enjoy after spending 30 quid, as its a good enough game for that overall)
    You are right to try to play someway, but we have bought the game to enjoy it in its full "brilliance" aren't we? I am wondering how somebody can win any time and think "I am just great, it's normal for me". So I really hope for a solution from the makers of the game. I don't want to moan, but please SI, be as responsible as I know you for years..

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by h@@kon View Post
    Just voted "about right", but i never use opposition instruction. Might be the reason why i find the difficulty "just right".
    Please, don't vote, if you can't make an assessment, because the poll leaves wrong impression..
    Last edited by tut; 02-11-2011 at 14:22.

Third Team

People shouldn't sign so many players.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by tut View Post
    Please, don't vote, if you can't make an assessment, because the pool leaves wrong impression..
    Poll .

Amateur

It seems that the figures speak for themselves. Twice as many punters DO NOT think the game is too easy (and that is just those on the forums). you've gotta love democracy !!

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by tut View Post
    Please, don't vote, if you can't make an assessment, because the pool leaves wrong impression..
    i'm not entitled to vote if i'm not using every aspect of the game? I play by LLM rules, maybe that exclude me too? default formation? default training?
    He's just saying using opposition instructions makes the games easier, and i give him my observation. Maybe he is right. maybe not.

edit: i see mine original post missed the quote. I understand that can have been confusing.
    Last edited by h@@kon; 02-11-2011 at 14:33.

Amateur

Can I throw a question out there to all the people who are finding the game easy (of which I am one and have posted on a couple of different threads that it was ruining it for me).

Are you using the “classic” tactics or the new style wizard?

I have always used classic, and have continued to do so with FM12. No great reason why, I just stuck with what I knew.

So anyway, have not been enjoying FM12 at all. Have played with a couple of different teams but mainly Totteham and have been tearing everyone apart 4-0, 5-1, 6-1. It was just getting ridiculous.

On a whim, I changed over to the modern tactics wizard, and recreated my “classic” as closely as I could. Wow. It is like I’m playing an entirely different game. Gone are the erratic six or seven [total] goal score lines. Gone are the incredible Barcelona style goals that I was scoring (nice for a while, but soon became boringly unrealistic). I feel very much like I am back to the real Football Manager. And I’m pleased to say, I am enjoying the game as much as ever. Quite a turn around considering I was on the verge of just packing the whole thing in.

I’m sure this isn’t just my imagination. For those of us who literally spend hours upon hours every single day in front of the 3d match engine, watching every single kick of the ball, you know when something isn’t quite right and from the first game I played with the with the newer style wizard, I knew I was back to the familiar and realistic territory.

I’m not a techie I’m afraid. So I can offer no hypothesis to back my theory up. Other than, I was convinced something was very very wrong when I was using classic and everything seems to be great when using wizard.

Maybe I had accidentally invented the most amazing tactic ever in classic mode and it didn’t translate into the wizard mode. I don’t know.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by hilliec2 View Post
    Can I throw a question out there to all the people who are finding the game easy (of which I am one and have posted on a couple of different threads that it was ruining it for me).

Are you using the “classic” tactics or the new style wizard?

I have always used classic, and have continued to do so with FM12. No great reason why, I just stuck with what I knew.

So anyway, have not been enjoying FM12 at all. Have played with a couple of different teams but mainly Totteham and have been tearing everyone apart 4-0, 5-1, 6-1. It was just getting ridiculous.

On a whim, I changed over to the modern tactics wizard, and recreated my “classic” as closely as I could. Wow. It is like I’m playing an entirely different game. Gone are the erratic six or seven [total] goal score lines. Gone are the incredible Barcelona style goals that I was scoring (nice for a while, but soon became boringly unrealistic). I feel very much like I am back to the real Football Manager. And I’m pleased to say, I am enjoying the game as much as ever. Quite a turn around considering I was on the verge of just packing the whole thing in.

I’m sure this isn’t just my imagination. For those of us who literally spend hours upon hours every single day in front of the 3d match engine, watching every single kick of the ball, you know when something isn’t quite right and from the first game I played with the with the newer style wizard, I knew I was back to the familiar and realistic territory.

I’m not a techie I’m afraid. So I can offer no hypothesis to back my theory up. Other than, I was convinced something was very very wrong when I was using classic and everything seems to be great when using wizard.

Maybe I had accidentally invented the most amazing tactic ever in classic mode and it didn’t translate into the wizard mode. I don’t know.
    Thats a very interesting point you raise. I cannot really comprehend how or why the difference could be related to classic v wizard, but I'm curious to see what others who have switched think.

Personally, i dont use classic, and i'm finding the difficulty just about right.

Most people who are finding it easy have been using default tactics from wizard.

Amateur

Most people who are finding it easy have been using default tactics from wizard.
    If you are using the wizard, how can your tactics be the default ones ???

Banned

That's a funny post to me hillec since i found the exact opposite. I'm not sure that's the fault though.

Banned

I use the default 4-4-2 tactic, never used the wizard.

I have never used a second tactic too. I just set a certain player for corners, free kicks and penalties.

Other than that I just change the players if one of them is particulary tired or injured and I press continue.

I have won roughly 15 consecutive matches ( 3-0 or 4-0 each ) so far in League 1 but the season has just started.

I am pretty sure that betatesters did a good job but they forgot to do what a gamer is not supposed to do, playing just pressing continue...
    Last edited by grep; 02-11-2011 at 14:55.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by grep View Post
    I use the default 4-4-2 tactic, never used the wizard.

I have never used a second tactic too. I just set a certain player for corners, free kicks and penalties.

Other than that I just change the players if one of them is particulary tired or injured and I press continue.

I have won roughly 15 consecutive matches ( 3-0 or 4-0 each ) so far in League 1 but the season has just started.

I am pretty sure that betatesters did a good job but they forgot to do what a gamer is not supposed to do, playing just pressing continue...
    But...why would anyone do that ?? It's beyond me !

Banned

I do have to question the job the testers do though, makes you wonder abit when we find all these problems ourselves.

Amateur

I do have to question the job the testers do though, makes you wonder abit when we find all these problems ourselves.
    But, its only a problem to some (minority). Maybe it was raised by the testers, then dismissed because they reached the same consensus that this thread/poll has.

Banned

Needs to be better tested imo in future before pricing it as high as 30 quid. Wont be buying next years if its exactly the same.

Amateur

Needs to be better tested imo in future before pricing it as high as 30 quid. Wont be buying next years if its exactly the same.
    Thats your prerogative mate. But the 'vast majority' (to quote grep) have not said that the game is "too easy"..end of !!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbs View Post
    Thats your prerogative mate. But the 'vast majority' (to quote grep) have not said that the game is "too easy"..end of !!
    A fair amount have, though. 117 is not a low number for this sort of poll.

Amateur

A fair amount have, though. 117 is not a low number for this sort of poll.
    Yes, true. But still 2-1 majority disagree. And that is just forum users. Not the hundreds of thousands that have bought the game worldwide.

I fully appreciate that some are finding it too easy and thats a real shame. But the way some go on and on about it gets a tad irritating. Especially when the "press continue and win" argument is used. Thats about as valid as someone playing a Team deathmatch on COD MW 2, camping for the duration, then claiming the game is too easy when their side wins !!

Sorry for the gaming analogy, but it does make my point (i think)

Banned

That's the point Sean, roughly 30-35% ( checking polls ) of customers find the game too easy. It may be right or it may be wrong but the fact states 35%.

Now, SI may decide to ignore them all, SI already stated that there won't be any fix to this matter. Ok, I disagree but that's also a fact.

The very issue IMO is that all the men of this 35% are old customers ( due to easiness we find in the game ) and I doubt the next year we will buy anymore a product that we find gorgeous ( being old customers ) but at the same time we won't buy anymore a product that is too easy to have fun, all of a sudden since FM11.

I can somehow understand why SI doesn't want to patch the easiness factor but I can't understand why SI wanna kill 35% of their old customers just due to a ego massage reason.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by grep View Post

The very issue IMO is that all the men of this 35% are old customers ( due to easiness we find in the game ) and I doubt the next year we will buy anymore a product that we find gorgeous ( being old customers ) but at the same time we won't buy anymore a product that is too easy to have fun, all of a sudden since FM11.
    400 people did vote in this thread, just about 30% saying the game is to easy. While there are 60'000 playing online every day and many more offline. We should really put that into relation. About 120 people here thinking the game is to easy. And you are demanding a patch or difficulty levels, while there is a large consensus that the game is still challenging enough, if you don't play it the easiest way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KUBI View Post
    400 people did vote in this thread, just about 30% saying the game is to easy. While there are 60'000 playing online every day and many more offline. We should really put that into relation. About 120 people here thinking the game is to easy. And you are demanding a patch or difficulty levels, while there is a large consensus that the game is still challenging enough, if you don't play it the easiest way.
    35% is referred to who voted in this forum, maybe the total number as you pointed out is different. Correct.

It may be 35% as well, less or even much more, who knows ?

Amateur

It's not 35% of their old customers. Its 31% of people who have bothered to respond to ONE poll, on ONE forum !!

Anyway, grep. Did you ever break that 5 game losing streak that you mentioned on another thread ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast