+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why does no one want goalkeepers without a club?

First Team Squad Member

Default Why does no one want goalkeepers without a club?

Is anyone else noticing this? How absaloutely no one wants top quality goalkeepers who's contracts have expired.

For example I've seen Petr Cech at 31 years of age, a world class goalkeeper go a whole season looking for a club but then giving up and retiring because no one wanted him, he was one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

Last year I saw a brilliant goalkeeper in Vicente Guaita retire at 29 (might have been younger can't remember really) because he couldn't find a club, yet again no one wanted this amazing goalkeeper.

There is probably many more examples but those are the ones that stand out in my head.

Now here's the latest one Rene Adler, he's obviously one of the best goalkeepers on the game, top 5 easily imo, his contract ran out with Leverkusen and now he's looking for a new club but funnily enough absaloutely no one is interested, I even checked to see if it was high wage demands but it can't be as he only wanted £58k a week from me (a club run by a tycoon and the most reputable in the world - Milan) so he's clearly not asking for too much. If Adler retires at 31 I'll be furious as he's got so many more years left in him.

Is anyone else getting an issue like this or is it just me?

Amateur

Got the exact same problem.. I pulled Adler in to my City team because noone else wanted him. Adler in on a free transfer, i like it!

Reserves

I think I can see the cause of the problem. Goalkeepers go on forever and the high rep clubs don't need new keepers. The AI for squad building has always been poor in FM and this is an example - a mid-ranking club should see that he is a better keeper than they've got, but they don't. To compound the problem, his reputation will be too high to consider lesser rep clubs.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by phnompenhandy View Post
    I think I can see the cause of the problem. Goalkeepers go on forever and the high rep clubs don't need new keepers. The AI for squad building has always been poor in FM and this is an example - a mid-ranking club should see that he is a better keeper than they've got, but they don't. To compound the problem, his reputation will be too high to consider lesser rep clubs.
    Couldn't agree more, it is a pity that the AI for a club challenging for Europe cannot see Petr Cech as an improvement on their current GK.

Third Team

Shoot I remember it being impossible to sell world class keepers so I'm not surprised.

First Team Squad Member

For example though the team who won the Serie A last year (Palermo) have a rather weak goalkeeper so I cannot understand why they haven't replaced him with someone like Adler.

It's going to be sad seeing a goalkeeper like Adler retire so soon, in fact it makes me annoyed.

Amateur

The Beckham one gets me aswell! He leaves LA every time and i always try and sign him but he says he isn't interested.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
    Couldn't agree more, it is a pity that the AI for a club challenging for Europe cannot see Petr Cech as an improvement on their current GK.
    I think a more important question is why are Chelsea allowing Cech to leave at such a young age?

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    I think a more important question is why are Chelsea allowing Cech to leave at such a young age?
    It would be interested to know who Chelsea replaced him with. On FM11 I am pretty sure they had a very very good young GK, maybe he took his place?

First Team Squad Member

Funnily enough they let Cech go but at the time Handanovic became their number one goalkeeper with Delac and Courtois becoming backup. Which makes absaloutely no sense as Cech is better than all these, had years left in him and then there's the fact Handanovic is possibly to an extent worse than both backup gk's, worse than Delac at the time for sure.

Third Team

So the AI has added to its inability to build squads by adding a talent to break a decent one apart.

Youth Team

I would rather have to reject 300 bids per day than to see this happen...

Semi Pro

Stekelenburg (sp) left Roma and is languishing on a free. Although he also was completely unwilling to negotiate with anyone. So maybe it's two problems.

Amateur
    Conspiracy theoretician and a bad guesser, autor of abstract and woolly critiques

This should be reported in bugs forum.

First Team Squad Member

Is it really a bug though?

Amateur
    Conspiracy theoretician and a bad guesser, autor of abstract and woolly critiques

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalFan7 View Post
    Is it really a bug though?
    We can call it unexpected behavior and I'm sure someone will call it a feature. On a more serious note it's a bug if it differs to specification and as we have no way to check specification the best thing we can do is report it and wait for SI staff to check it.

Amateur

you say that adler is one of the top 5 goalies on the game but its clear that you dont want him so who have you got in goal??? it is a slight glitch that nobody wants him though i can imagine no top rep clubs are bidding because they dont need a keeper.

Amateur

Usually they do get snapped up - eventually, it just takes sometimes up to six months. Which sure isnt realistic but it happens. I am kinda talking more from FM2011 experience though, I saw there that goalkeepers werent always snapped up right away, the old kind of 33-34 year old ones that are still in their prime

Part-Timer

report this in the bugs forum please

First Team Squad Member

I got Ospina because I don't like to go for the best option, I prefer players who are more experimental. Adler is probably better but Ospina is the more interesting option.

First Team Squad Member

Very well, reported it.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by VonBlade View Post
    Stekelenburg (sp) left Roma and is languishing on a free. Although he also was completely unwilling to negotiate with anyone. So maybe it's two problems.
    I explained above what those 2 problems are.

Cech is possibly not the best example to focus on though; after Saturday a number of analysts are seeing serious weaknesses and are calling for Villas-Boas to buy a replacement. But that's another discussion!

Amateur

why not sign them and sell them on for profit

Reserves

No one wants to buy them

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scalamunger View Post
    Because it will demotivate them leading to more issues with squad happiness, I'll still have to spend money on their wages, loyalty bonus etc which will be over £3million probably and it's pretty N00BY

Quote Originally Posted by Scalamunger View Post
    this sort of thing proper annoys me in game... its right up there with corner routines to get your CB's to score 20 goals a season... grates me

Amateur

In my game (as Chelsea) City always come in and buy Cech for a pretty high rate. In the winter of my first year in FM12 City are trying desperately to buy him, and in the past I usually had to sell him after 3-4 years as he 'wanted a new challenge,' at this point City usually splashed $45-60M for him. At this point I'd buy Adler for half and spend the rest

Surprising that when Chelsea is AI City doesn't do the same...

Third Team

It's a problem with the AI, they don't pick up many free transfers.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by hursty2 View Post
    It's a problem with the AI, they don't pick up many free transfers.
    agree with this. picked up david ospina, joel matip and fernando gago on frees for the start of the 3rd season and nobody else put in a bid for any of these players. the fact that 2 of them are rated at 4 stars in my aston villa team suggests to me they are good enough to play for many other clubs.

Amateur

In my FM2010 save the same thing happened with Akinfeev. He wasn't paid that much by CSKA so I don't think the wage demands were the issue. There was simply no-one interested. I didn't want to buy him because that would be too easy.

First Team Squad Member

He's just rejected a contract offer from Arsenal approaching November, bit weird considering how desperate he must be now, clearly didn't think he was going to be the no.1 ahead of Woj or the contract wasn't good enough.

hopefully.

Part-Timer

This has been something i have been noticing as well, Cech, Adler and a few nice regens are all free agents on my save with nobody interested. Seems very odd, tot he extent i would call it a bug.

+ Reply to Thread