+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: An FM Career - Now With Added Bitterness.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by HotChocolate View Post
    Mega signings there! Makes it interesting, rather than breaking top 4 then winning the Premier League!
    Breaking top 6 is the first challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by deltablue View Post
    Premier League definitely tough at the moment then.
    Yeah, no one has come close so far.

Third Team

2014 World Cup

Third Team

JULY – OCTOBER UPDATE

Media Prediction: 12th
    Board: Top Half Finish 21M/715K P/M
    FA Cup: 1/4 Final
    Carling Cup: Blood youngsters

Overall Aim:
    Get more consistency with results throughout the season which will be achieved through a more consistent line up.

TRANSFER NEWS
    I really need to strengthen this season by adding some quality players to the team. I did so by bringing in four new first team players in the form of Lee Wallace (8M), John Fleck (6.5M), Shikabala (3.4M) and Simone Padoin (3M), spending all of my 21M budget. Hopefully these signings add stability to the first eleven and give me more consistency throughout the year. Tommy Martin a hot prospect at RB also came into the team for only 7K, who knows why he was so cheap?

PRE-SEASON
    Not much to comment on here apart from some decent results, whilst again we went on a tour of Germany in where we seem so popular.

PREMIER LEAGUE
    Only 6 games in and I’m unbeaten and sit in third place, which is my best start to a season so far. This has been down to great performances from new signings from Rangers, John Fleck and Lee Wallace. A good 1-1 draw with Chelsea shows the progression we’ve made as a team since last season.

LEAGUE CUP
    A chance to play some fringe players and young players came and they have done well so far, winning both games against Bury and Aston Villa 3-0.

TOP TRANSFERS IN ENGLAND

Reserves

Good start with solid signings.

Semi Pro

Looking good! Lets hope you keep up the good performances or the board wont be happy! ;)

International Squad

Some room for improvement after previous seasons.

Part-Timer
    Champions League prediction winner 2013/2014

John Fleck he's the scottish Freddy Adu in my eyes, been around a bloody age and still a hot prospect on most games. Good start to season

Youth Team

Fleck may turn out to be a good signing for you. Hopefully you'll be back in the top half next season

Third Team

Good start with solid signings.
    Cheers!
    Looking good! Lets hope you keep up the good performances or the board wont be happy! ;)
    Yeah board will kill me for spending 21M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobby_McDonald View Post
    Some room for improvement after previous seasons.
    Let's hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyBaldBuddhist View Post
    John Fleck he's the scottish Freddy Adu in my eyes, been around a bloody age and still a hot prospect on most games. Good start to season
    Yeah, I think I've signed him in at least 3 of the past 4 FM's.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK22 View Post
    Fleck may turn out to be a good signing for you. Hopefully you'll be back in the top half next season
    Looking good so far.

Third Team

OCTOBER – FEBRUARY UPDATE

TRANSFER NEWS
    I had one deal agreed throughout the season in time for the January window. This signing was a 25 year old Daniel Sturridge who had become unhappy at the lack of first team opportunities at Chelsea. He gives us another option up front as well as being an Inside Forward from the AML position.

PREMIER LEAGUE
    I haven’t, yet again, been able to string a good set of results together. I had a brilliant start to the season sitting around the CL spots but then I slowly faded off and now sit in a lacklustre 9th not far from Southampton but well off 6th place, again. I haven’t got a consistent striker that will bang in the goals all season long.

LEAGUE CUP
    I reached the Quarter Finals again, bowing out to Liverpool 3-1 but not before I had comeback to beat Newcastle 4-3 in ET, in the previous round. It’s a Man Utd v Man City final, should be interesting.

FA CUP
    It has only just kicked off but I was handed an easy third round tie with Fleetwood winning 3-0 then progressing onto another easy tie in the form of Rotherham, beating them 2-1. It wasn’t so easy after all.

KEY PLAYERS – SO FAR
    John Fleck
    He’s my top scorer in the league and has been worth every penny I spent on him, although he has gotten two straight red cards so far this season.

Andras NagyHe’s not quite the finished article yet but he will eventually get there and hopefully be very lethal for me.

Tom CairneyJust been a really consistent performer.

Part-Timer

Sturridge is a good signing, no doubt about that. John Fleck has developed rather well in your save - he's just not that good in mine. Andras Nagy is a really exciting prospect, though

Reserves

You're starting to get somewhere now.

Third Team

You're starting to get somewhere now.
    Doesn't seem that way atm. :/

Quote Originally Posted by abulezz View Post
    Sturridge is a good signing, no doubt about that. John Fleck has developed rather well in your save - he's just not that good in mine. Andras Nagy is a really exciting prospect, though
    Fleck is a beast, in fact Rangers as a team are! They won the Europa League first season and have been attracting and selling decent players all throughout my save.

Third Team

END OF SEASON UPDATE 2014/2015

Well what a season of up and downs, with poor performances in the league whilst doing pretty well in the league. The club is apparently struggling for money at the moment too so it seems as if I will have to offload a few players in order to bring us back into the money.

PREMIER LEAGUE
    Another disappointing season in the league, in where we only finished in 8th but perhaps that can be called an achievement based on last seasons position. All throughout the season we struggled to find any consistency in our results which ultimately led to our downfall.

FA CUP
    Winners!!! Yes, you should have seen me when we clinched a 1-0 victory over Arsenal after they had only days earlier beaten us 4-0 in the league as well as not tasting defeat against us for a total of 8 games! I am so delighted with this win and it is my first trophy as Stoke manager in four years. In terms of tactic for that game I knew that we always seemed to concede a lot of goals against the big sides, especially in the last game against Arsenal. Therefore in the fixtures leading up to the final I played a 5-3-2 in order to sure up the defence and then hit them on the counter attack. This change in tactic definitely made the difference and Arsenal couldn’t break us down. This also meant that we’re in Europe next year too!

STOKE CITY -KEY PLAYERS

John Fleck
    He was one of, if not my best player this season and scored the winning goal in the FA Cup Final, adding to his 12 goals in the league from AM. He also received PFA Young Player of the Year and deservedly so.

Andras NagyAnother great year for my young striker notching up 18 goals and breaking the record for most goals in a season at Stoke.

Tom CairneyThe young Englishmen, or should I say Scotsmen now, having taken up a Scottish cap was another key performer throughout the season.

Fabian DelphHe really put in some great performances throughout the season, pushing out Palacios in the pecking order.

Daniel SturridgeComing in January it is sometimes hard to settle in but Sturridge didn’t seem to have any problems.

PREMIER LEAGUE: 8th (Man City Champions)
    LEAGUE CUP: 1/4 Final (Lost 3-1 vs. Liverpool) (Man City Winners)
    FA CUP: Winners
    RESERVES: 10th
    YOUTH: 3rd

Europa League: Arsenal (2-0 ET. vs. Seville)
    Champions League: Barcelona (1-0 vs. Man Utd)
    Last edited by hursty2; 06-12-2011 at 16:02.

Youth Team

Nice cup win, that gets you back into Europe next season

Well done on getting back into the top half of the Premier League too.

Third Team

Nice cup win, that gets you back into Europe next season

Well done on getting back into the top half of the Premier League too.
    Cheers mate.

Third Team

Stoke Board Announce New Ten Year Sponsorship Deal

Peter Coates has said that he is delighted to finally be able to gain a new sponsorship deal for the stadium and is delighted that BBC Radio Stoke, have come back on board with the club.

“It’s great for the club and shows the progress we are making as a whole community rather than just a football club. New sponsor’s such as this one go directly towards developing youth football in the region.” Peter Coates claimed.

The deal is said to be worth 2M over 10 years and with this means that all Stoke news, such as transfers and the latest results as well as live coverage of the games, will be covered by BBC Radio Stoke.

BBC Radio Stoke also stated that a new Stoke City by BBC Radio App will be available from the iTunes app store as of today, which will include live streaming of radio and behind the scenes footage.

BBC is also reporting that Britannia have increased their funding to 2M per annum.

By Neil Jacobs
    Last edited by hursty2; 07-12-2011 at 02:44.

Semi Pro

Great season there! Good luck in the Europa League

Third Team

Great season there! Good luck in the Europa League
    Thanks mate.

Expect a change in formats of updates/information in order to drum up more interest in the thread.

Part-Timer

Great cup win. Hope you manage a bit more consistency next term and move a few places up the league

Reserves

Interesting to see how you do in Europe.

Amateur

Congrats on the FA Cup win!

Great season from Fleck, i've always found him pretty hit and miss to be honest but this year was certainly a hit!

International Squad

As if BBC Radio Stoke would fork out £2,000,000 a year.

Excellent Cup win.

Third Team

Excellent Cup win.
    2M over 10 years. ;)

International Squad

As if BBC Radio Stoke would fork out £2,000,000

Semi Pro

Excellent Cup win.
    As if BBC Radio Stoke would fork out £2,000,000
    I had to re-read that for a sec.

You do crack me up Nobby You're the like the Paddys of Bladesmad (that is a compliment by the way )

International Squad

I'll take your word for that as I have no idea what you are on about!

Semi Pro

I'll take your word for that as I have no idea what you are on about!
    In short, bladesmad (a forum for Sheffield United fans) 'Paddys' is the comedian ;)

Third Team

Britannia Stadium set for expansion

The club has stated recently that Britannia Stadium will undergo construction in order to increase its capacity to over 39,000 up from the 32,000 people it now holds.

The expansion costs are expected to cost Peter Coates and the board 9.5M but really shows the rest of the Premier League that Stoke are on the way up, especially after their recent FA Cup win.

However because of the proximity to the recent season the construction work will commence midway through 2016, in order for the club to come up with the funding needed.

Along with the stadium expansion the club also announced that its youth facilities are to be upgraded in line with the schedule for the stadium work.

Richard Little
    BBC Stoke
    As you can tell, I've just had a little conversation with Peter Coates.

Semi Pro

Great news.

International Squad

Now Coates has money thanks to the success of Bet 365's online arm of the business.

Third Team

JULY – OCTOBER UPDATE 2015

Media Prediction: 8th
    Board: Top Half Finish 9M-715K P/M
    Carling Cup: N/A
    Europa League: 1st Knockout Round

Overall Aim:
    To push on in the league and make it into the top 7, maybe even breaking into the top 6 which no other team has managed. Europe wise I must make it out of the group stages and with some good results along the way, possibly push for a quarter finals game.

TRANSFER NEWS
    It was a quiet transfer window for me, in terms of buying players with no massive amounts of money being spent. Only two players came into the squad, former Liverpool striker Oscar Cardozo (550K) and youngster Goran Knezovic (1M) adding to the Eastern European influenced side. Firstly, let me explain the signing of Cardozo or rather say what you’re probably already thinking. The man has exceptional finishing and composure and is an ideal role model for my young striker Andras Nagy, who he is now tutoring. If Nagy can develop at the rate he has previously done, especially improving his composure, I am sure he can become a great striker for me.

This transfer window also saw me sell a few of my previously signed players. Rasmus Falk, my first signing at the club departed for a cool 7M, making a profit of 5.2M – he just wasn’t performing to warrant a place in my team any more. Another of my very first signings, Yassine El Ghanassy also left the club for 2.7M and he was definitely a massive disappointment and showed no evidence of improving. Finally a signing of just two seasons ago, Gary Hooper, left for Tottenham for 6.25M.

PRE-SEASON
    In pre-season I let my assistant have a go at controlling the matches and he always seems to play the youngsters. It was somewhat disappointing but it is more about the fitness rather than getting results. I did have one competitive game, playing Man City in the Community Shield and despite dominating we again succumbed to a loss, courtesy of two Dzeko goals who seems to have a habit of scoring against us.

PREMIER LEAGUE
    Not much to comment on here, we’ve only played 4 games and are sat in 11th position whilst the rest of the league have played six games. I’m hoping for some better results as the season progresses.

LEAGUE CUP
    The third round drew me against newly promoted Premier League side, Cardiff. They were no pushovers and managed to take the game to extra time after forcing a 2-2 result. Then on in I thought I had won with a goal in the 107th minute but then they equalised several minutes later to take the game to penalties. The penalty shootout finished 4-2 to them and sent my young side out.

EUROPA LEAGUE
    Maritimo were the team we had to beat in order to progress to the group stages and we duly did so, comfortably winning 7-0 on aggregate. Seeded second for the draw we drew APOEL Nikosia, Dynamo Kyiv and Viktoria Plzen in Group A. The first tie of the group was against APOEL, in sunny Cyprus, where we went onto win 3-1 with goals from Nagy(2) and Fleck. A good start so hopefully we continue to build on it and easily progress through the group.

SQUAD
    As a whole I think the squad has reasonable depth but it has been a struggle to attract players of real quality to add to the strength of it. I have no real replacement for Fleck, if he gets a lengthy injury apart from playing a youngster in their or playing someone out of position. What I am pleased with though is the amount of forward options we have in Nagy, Cardozo, Sturridge and Shikabala, who can all play well up there. There was no reason for me to add to the defence as I feel as if I’ve got enough cover in all areas there with Shawcross, Huth, Situ, Wilson, Hubocan, Mattock, Wallace and Martin.

Last edited by hursty2; 12-12-2011 at 15:09.

Semi Pro

Apoel and Viktoria Plzen, aren't they in the wrong competition?

Part-Timer

Looks like you should have got something against City. Still need a bit of consistency (should have beat Wolves at home) but looks like not conceding too many. At least you have a easy looking Euro group.

Amateur

Great news on the stadium and i'm liking that Europa League group.

I have a question on Nagy, I can't make my mind up on him looking at the screenshots and I just wondered whether or not you think he has what it takes to be a top player or whether long term (or possibly sooner) you will be looking at replacing him?

Third Team

Apoel and Viktoria Plzen, aren't they in the wrong competition?
    Not good enough, eh?

Looks like you should have got something against City. Still need a bit of consistency (should have beat Wolves at home) but looks like not conceding too many. At least you have a easy looking Euro group.
    Yeah, definitely need to improve on my consistency throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by City2000 View Post
    Great news on the stadium and i'm liking that Europa League group.

I have a question on Nagy, I can't make my mind up on him looking at the screenshots and I just wondered whether or not you think he has what it takes to be a top player or whether long term (or possibly sooner) you will be looking at replacing him?
    Here's Nagy now.

I don't know if it's just nostalgia that is tainting my view of him but he seems to have all the right attributes in order for him to become a great poacher. Either way, his value is sky rocketing and I'm sure I'll benefit off him one way or another.

Amateur

I like the look of Nagy more in the latest picture for sure, I think you are right that he has the chance to be a great poacher and his value now would suggest that for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing how his career develops.

Reserves

He looks dangerous.

Part-Timer

I'd give him a good long run in the first team to see what exactly he can accomplish - that way, you'll know whether to cash in or to develop him further!

Third Team

I like the look of Nagy more in the latest picture for sure, I think you are right that he has the chance to be a great poacher and his value now would suggest that for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing how his career develops.
    Yeah, just wish he would hurry up and start banging them in already.

He looks dangerous.
    I'd give him a good long run in the first team to see what exactly he can accomplish - that way, you'll know whether to cash in or to develop him further!
    That's the plan this season, now Hooper has gone so hopefully he goes on a good scoring run.

Third Team

Fleck is being a **** and is unhappy with my team talks(one ffs) and has now just gone and missed a training session.

Semi Pro

I genuinely go straight for a two weeks' wage fine. If he whinges or misses training again, it's transfer listing.

Amateur

you need to show who is boss straight away hursty, you need 100% discipline from your squad to find the consistency that your craving this season!

Third Team

Northern Ireland have just offered me the job as international manager...not sure if I want to go into international management though?

Thoughts?

Third Team

I decided to reject Northern Ireland as they failed to qualify for the Euro's Playoffs and therefore can't even make it into the Euro's.

So effectively I'd just be playing friendlies for a while.

Part-Timer

I'd have turned that down too. International management can be a chore at the best of times. I only find it worthwhile/enjoyable if you get to manage at the Euro/World Cup finals

Third Team

I'd have turned that down too. International management can be a chore at the best of times. I only find it worthwhile/enjoyable if you get to manage at the Euro/World Cup finals
    Yeah that's how I feel about it too, I remember playing one game with it and it ruined the whole save for me.

Amateur

I took over Turkey about the same time you had the NI offer, I just had friendlies for a long while and even now that I am into the qualifiers i'm finding it a bit of a chore at the moment, to the point it's really slowing me down. I think you made the right call in turning it down.

Semi Pro

Nagy has poacher written all over him. Not quite literally though.

Third Team

I took over Turkey about the same time you had the NI offer, I just had friendlies for a long while and even now that I am into the qualifiers i'm finding it a bit of a chore at the moment, to the point it's really slowing me down. I think you made the right call in turning it down.
    I definitely feel better now that I've rejected it.

Nagy has poacher written all over him. Not quite literally though.
    ;)

Going through a little injury crisis atm, Fleck, Huth, Mattock and Shikabala on international duty.

Third Team

Scratch that, I've just had a crash dump that lost me 4 games progress.

Reserves

So international management is still a drag then? I'm still on FM10, but it's a massive ball-ache there. Hate to select players as it's a huge "check profile" exercise

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by hursty2 View Post
    JULY – OCTOBER UPDATE 2015

Media Prediction: 8th
    Board: Top Half Finish 9M-715K P/M
    Carling Cup: N/A
    Europa League: 1st Knockout Round

Overall Aim:
    To push on in the league and make it into the top 7, maybe even breaking into the top 6 which no other team has managed. Europe wise I must make it out of the group stages and with some good results along the way, possibly push for a quarter finals game.

TRANSFER NEWS
    It was a quiet transfer window for me, in terms of buying players with no massive amounts of money being spent. Only two players came into the squad, former Liverpool striker Oscar Cardozo (550K) and youngster Goran Knezovic (1M) adding to the Eastern European influenced side. Firstly, let me explain the signing of Cardozo or rather say what you’re probably already thinking. The man has exceptional finishing and composure and is an ideal role model for my young striker Andras Nagy, who he is now tutoring. If Nagy can develop at the rate he has previously done, especially improving his composure, I am sure he can become a great striker for me.

This transfer window also saw me sell a few of my previously signed players. Rasmus Falk, my first signing at the club departed for a cool 7M, making a profit of 5.2M – he just wasn’t performing to warrant a place in my team any more. Another of my very first signings, Yassine El Ghanassy also left the club for 2.7M and he was definitely a massive disappointment and showed no evidence of improving. Finally a signing of just two seasons ago, Gary Hooper, left for Tottenham for 6.25M.

PRE-SEASON
    In pre-season I let my assistant have a go at controlling the matches and he always seems to play the youngsters. It was somewhat disappointing but it is more about the fitness rather than getting results. I did have one competitive game, playing Man City in the Community Shield and despite dominating we again succumbed to a loss, courtesy of two Dzeko goals who seems to have a habit of scoring against us.

PREMIER LEAGUE
    Not much to comment on here, we’ve only played 4 games and are sat in 11th position whilst the rest of the league have played six games. I’m hoping for some better results as the season progresses.

LEAGUE CUP
    The third round drew me against newly promoted Premier League side, Cardiff. They were no pushovers and managed to take the game to extra time after forcing a 2-2 result. Then on in I thought I had won with a goal in the 107th minute but then they equalised several minutes later to take the game to penalties. The penalty shootout finished 4-2 to them and sent my young side out.

EUROPA LEAGUE
    Maritimo were the team we had to beat in order to progress to the group stages and we duly did so, comfortably winning 7-0 on aggregate. Seeded second for the draw we drew APOEL Nikosia, Dynamo Kyiv and Viktoria Plzen in Group A. The first tie of the group was against APOEL, in sunny Cyprus, where we went onto win 3-1 with goals from Nagy(2) and Fleck. A good start so hopefully we continue to build on it and easily progress through the group.

SQUAD
    As a whole I think the squad has reasonable depth but it has been a struggle to attract players of real quality to add to the strength of it. I have no real replacement for Fleck, if he gets a lengthy injury apart from playing a youngster in their or playing someone out of position. What I am pleased with though is the amount of forward options we have in Nagy, Cardozo, Sturridge and Shikabala, who can all play well up there. There was no reason for me to add to the defence as I feel as if I’ve got enough cover in all areas there with Shawcross, Huth, Situ, Wilson, Hubocan, Mattock, Wallace and Martin.

Have you thought about retraining Cairney as AMC? I did on an FM11 save and he was a beast in that position

International Squad

Stoke > Northern Ireland.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Pangaea View Post
    So international management is still a drag then? I'm still on FM10, but it's a massive ball-ache there. Hate to select players as it's a huge "check profile" exercise
    It seems so.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyp View Post
    Have you thought about retraining Cairney as AMC? I did on an FM11 save and he was a beast in that position
    He's too good at LM.
    Stoke > Northern Ireland.

Youth Team

I would expect you to qualify easily from that Europa League group; surely just between Kiev and yourselves for first place. Cardoza should be a good signing for you, even at the age of 32.

Third Team

EUROPA LEAGUE UPDATE

Attachment 0

APOEL - 1
    OG Shawcross (47’)
    STOKE - 3
    Nagy (20’, 75’)
    Fleck (61’)

STOKE – 2
    Nagy (66’)
    Wallace (77’)
    DYNAMO KYIV – 2
    Shevcuk (8’)
    Popov (25’)

STOKE – 1
    Cardozo (39’)
    VIKTORIA PLZEN – 0

VIKTORIA PLZEN – 1
    Reznik (89’)
    STOKE – 3
    Cairney (6’)
    Sturridge (30’)
    Shawcross (35’)

STOKE – 1
    Cardozo (32’)
    APOEL – 0

DYNAMO KYIV – 0
    STOKE -2
    Upcott (31’)
    Knezevic (42’)

Stoke – 16pts
    Dynamo Kyiv – 11pts
    APOEL Nikosia – 5pts
    Viktoria Plzen – 1pts

Exactly what was expected of us, easily making it out of the group unbeaten with five wins and a draw. We had already qualified with two games to go which therefore allowed me to play fringe players, giving first teamers a rest for the PL games ahead. Dereece Upcott a young 18 year old impressed me in the last game, even getting on the scoresheet.

The 1st round knockout drew us up against Group K runners up, Valencia, in what is expected to be a very tough tie for us. They currently sit 9th in La Liga but have a quality squad that will pose a challenge for us. If we do make it through against Valencia we will come up against either AEK Athens or Italian giants Juventus.

Reserves

Tough challenges ahead I see.

Reserves

Well done getting through without any hassles though.

Semi Pro

Sunny Spain welcomes the Potters

Third Team

Tough challenges ahead I see.
    Most definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangaea View Post
    Well done getting through without any hassles though.
    Cheers.
    Sunny Spain welcomes the Potters
    Proper lads holiday.

Semi Pro

Proper lads holiday.
    Potters on tour?

Third Team

Erm, FM has just predicted the future.

Stoke got Valencia in real life.

Semi Pro

Minute I saw the draw my thoughts turned to your game

International Squad

I noticed that when I've just read your update.

Two wins out of two ties would be great...

Reserves

Hope it won't complete itself too closely.

Semi Pro

Go and beat Valencia, hopefully then Tony Pulis can use your thread in the pre-match team talk.

Third Team

MID-SEASON UPDATE

So far so good this season it seems. I’ve managed to progress through the group stages of the Europa whilst doing reasonably well domestically. I’ve found a level of consistency that I haven’t had in previous seasons but it’s still not been good enough for us to push into the top 6. In the January transfer window I made one signing in the form of Roberto Firmino, he cost me 8M and will challenge Fleck for a spot in the AM role. For now though he is starting there as Fleck his injured and I hope he proves himself because for some reason, I myself have doubts about him. Hopefully not a waste of 8M.

PREMIER LEAGUE
    A decent set of results throughout half of the season has meant that we sit in very respectable 7th position. Periods of games in where we couldn’t score were the downfall of our season so far and coincidently this was when striker Andras Nagy was injured. Cardozo couldn’t score whilst he was out but by the time he was on his way back to full fitness, Cardozo decided he wanted a place in the team. Most of the poor results came when I was playing a game every second day, over the Xmas period and this seemed to get to the players. However, one result that was particularly pleasing in an attacking sense was the 6-3 win against Bolton, Nagy getting a hat-trick, Sturridge a brace, with Palacios rounding it off with a penalty. Here’s to pushing on for a top 6 spot! Maybe even a Champions League one? It’s not too far away is it?!

FA CUP
    We started our defence of the FA Cup against Hull City at The Britannia, which should have meant an easy passage into the next round. Well it was far from it, I played a weaker eleven but I still should have had the quality to beat them. I ended up losing 1-0, sending us out of the prestigious competition in the third round.

KEY PLAYERS

Rasmus ElmHe has been very consistent in the middle of midfield for me, often dominating games with his accurate range of passing.

Joe MattockHe has made the LB position his own so far this season, putting in some great performances.

Fabian DelphHe has also been a key player in the middle of the park, putting in tackles left, right and centre, breaking up play consistently.

Daniel SturridgeHas top scored for my team in the league so far this season and all this from the right wing. I’ll be looking to him for more goals in the upcoming games.

Now for the second half of the season and it’s time to start the real push for a top 6 position!

Reserves

In the new season preview I was told Stoke had the smallest players in the league. Made me smile.

Pretty good going so far as you can get into Europe with a push up the final stretch. Shame about the FA Cup, but these things happen.

International Squad

6-3 at Bolton. Quality.

Third Team

EUROPA LEAGUE UPDATE
    1st KNOCKOUT ROUND – STOKE CITY FC VS. VALENCIA CF

VALENCIA – 1
    Diego Costa (26’)
    STOKE – 1
    Fabian Delph (14’)

A great first leg here, I was expected to lose quite heavily but managed to gain a very good draw. I got off to a great start with Delph scoring within the first 15 minutes but failed to capitalise on my domination, conceding in the 26th minute. From then on in it was a very even game but to Valencia’s defence they did create a lot of chances and probably should have won. A 0-0 draw at home would be all this is needed for us to progress to the next stage.

STOKE – 2
    Oscar Cardozo (49’)
    Andras Nagy (72’)
    VALENCIA – 2
    Pablo Piatti (53’)
    Roberto Soldado (92’)

Well what can I say I thought I was through only for that dreaded last minute highlight to come up. A 92nd minute goal sent us from a memorable victory and progression to the next round, into an agonising away goal loss. Oh how close we were, definitely not what we deserved.

Now to focus on the league and the league only, every cloud has a silver lining etc…

Semi Pro

EUROPA LEAGUE UPDATE
    1st KNOCKOUT ROUND – STOKE CITY FC VS. VALENCIA CF

VALENCIA – 1
    Diego Costa (26’)
    STOKE – 1
    Fabian Delph (14’)

A great first leg here, I was expected to lose quite heavily but managed to gain a very good draw. I got off to a great start with Delph scoring within the first 15 minutes but failed to capitalise on my domination, conceding in the 26th minute. From then on in it was a very even game but to Valencia’s defence they did create a lot of chances and probably should have won. A 0-0 draw at home would be all this is needed for us to progress to the next stage.

STOKE – 2
    Oscar Cardozo (49’)
    Andras Nagy (72’)
    VALENCIA – 2
    Pablo Piatti (53’)
    Roberto Soldado (92’)

Well what can I say I thought I was through only for that dreaded last minute highlight to come up. A 92nd minute goal sent us from a memorable victory and progression to the next round, into an agonising away goal loss. Oh how close we were, definitely not what we deserved.

Now to focus on the league and the league only, every cloud has a silver lining etc…
    Sorry about that 'loss'.

Third Team

That was quick.

Semi Pro

That was quick.
    I saw your update so read straight away

Third Team

The other clubs in the league are not making it easy for me, for sure. Chelsea signed Neymar for 40.5M at the start of the season whilst Arsenal have just signed Douglas Costa for 42.5M.

It's making it even harder for me to break into the top group.

Semi Pro

But the fact you are there at all is testament to how far your club has come since you took over

Reserves

On such small things do such big things depend on.

Semi Pro

So unlucky in the Europa League, always next season

Amateur

Bad luck in Europe but that was a real tough draw.

Good luck with that top 6 push!

International Squad

Quote Originally Posted by DazRTaylor View Post
    But the fact you are there at all is testament to how far your club has come since you and Tony Pulis took over
    Ahem, not forgetting Stoke's second greatest manager of all time.

Youth Team

Now, what's the chances of the Valencia results being replicated in real life? Surely won't be too far off.

Your home record looks pretty decent, only conceded six goals so far. Fortress Britannia!

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by DazRTaylor View Post
    But the fact you are there at all is testament to how far your club has come since you took over
    It is taking me a while but I think that's why I'm enjoying it so much, it doesn't feel unrealistic.
    On such small things do such big things depend on.
    ;)
    So unlucky in the Europa League, always next season
    If I make it in...
    Bad luck in Europe but that was a real tough draw.

Good luck with that top 6 push!
    Thanks!
    Ahem, not forgetting Stoke's second greatest manager of all time.
    Now, what's the chances of the Valencia results being replicated in real life? Surely won't be too far off.

Your home record looks pretty decent, only conceded six goals so far. Fortress Britannia!
    Lets hope for the best.

Third Team

END OF SEASON UPDATE 2015/16

After being knocked out of Europe and the domestic cups, in the early stages it meant that all I had to focus on was the league. This should have benefited my team in the long run, meaning that we had a reasonable break in between games – leading to better performances and a push for the top 6. Well…

PREMIER LEAGUE
    Yet again we finished behind the usual top 6 of Liverpool, Tottenham, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and eventual winners Arsenal. In other seasons this would have been good enough to warrant us a Europa League spot, yet this year Blackburn (8th) and Birmingham (12th) took these out because of their successes in the FA and League Cup. In fact Liverpool didn’t even make it into the Europe this year finishing 6th. Our results were simply not good enough and add to the fact we went through a period of not scoring in six premier league games, didn’t help our cause. On the positive side though, finishing in the same position as we did last year adds to our reputation of a strong top half club. And now the only hurdle to overcome to push us even further into greatness is 6th position.

KEY PLAYERS
    Ryan ShawcrossAgain he is my best player of the season and is the main reason I conceded so few goals this season compared to last.

Fabian DelphQuickly becoming one of the better players in the Premier League and consistently being called up for England.

Rasmus ElmWanted by the likes of AC Milan because of his consistently good level of performance and dynamic range of passing.

Andras NagyHe was again my top goal scorer this season despite being injured for the best part of two months with a shoulder injury. As you can see he is still rapidly developing but needs to improve on his goal scoring form.

COMMENTS
    It was a relatively ok season but I can’t help think what it might have become if I hadn’t conceded that late goal in the Europa League, hindsight is a great thing. Next season I have to focus on finding a winning tactic that will probably include two up front. That means that I’ll probably have to find a new strike partner for Nagy, preferably a player in a target man mould. Not Crouch, who funnily enough has just taken over recently relegated Cardiff City as manager.

PREMIER LEAGUE: 7th (Arsenal Champions)
    LEAGUE CUP: 3rd Round (Lost 3-3 p vs. Cardiff) (Blackburn Winners)
    FA CUP: 3rd Round (Lost 1-0 vs. Hull) (Birmingham Winners)

RESERVES: 4th
    YOUTH: 4th

Europa League: Malaga (1-1 p vs. Villareal)
    Champions League: Man City (2-1 vs. Arsenal)
    Last edited by hursty2; 20-12-2011 at 14:39.

Third Team

Progress

Code:
    | Season |          Team          |League|  League Cup  |  FA Cup  |   Europe   |
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      11/12         Stoke City FC       12th      4th Rd.      3rd Rd.   EL Qtr Fin. 
      12/13         Stoke City FC        7th        1/4        5th Rd.        -     
      13/14         Stoke City FC       12th      3rd Rd.      4th Rd.   EL Grp Stge
      14/15         Stoke City FC        8th        1/4        Winners        -      
      15/16         Stoke City FC        7th      3rd Rd.      3rd Rd.    1st KO Rd

Third Team

Probably won't accept this job offer but it's interesting to see that clubs want me!

Part-Timer

In Elm, Delph, and Nagy, you have a solid foundation. Shawcross is quality as well - it seems to me you need more firepower upfront, but other than that, you could be competing for Top Four next season if you can get someone to score some goals!

Reserves

Wow, nice one getting that sort of interest.

Amateur

Bad luck on not getting that Europa League spot.

I think the switch to two up top will be a good move, see if you can get Nagy really firing.

Part-Timer

It was always going to be tough to break into the top 6 due to the talent and finances the top clubs have. Looks like you are building steadily though and if Nagy can get a few more goals you might be closer next year.

Third Team

If offense seems to be the problem, then indeed fielding a second striker may be worth a try

Great read btw

Third Team

In Elm, Delph, and Nagy, you have a solid foundation. Shawcross is quality as well - it seems to me you need more firepower upfront, but other than that, you could be competing for Top Four next season if you can get someone to score some goals!
    I definitely need a more potent strike force, even though Sturridge also chipped in with a few goals from the right wing.
    Wow, nice one getting that sort of interest.
    I was quite pleased.
    Bad luck on not getting that Europa League spot.

I think the switch to two up top will be a good move, see if you can get Nagy really firing.
    Target man on a support role seems the way to go at the moment, just need to find someone though!
    It was always going to be tough to break into the top 6 due to the talent and finances the top clubs have. Looks like you are building steadily though and if Nagy can get a few more goals you might be closer next year.
    Yeah they consistently spend 20M+ on one player.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayahr View Post
    If offense seems to be the problem, then indeed fielding a second striker may be worth a try

Great read btw
    Thanks mate, glad you're enjoying.

Reserves

Shame about Europe, both getting knocked out on a late goal and missing out this season, but you'll get there again next season. Certainly not a bad season. It's tough competing with the money of the big boys. Looks like they have bought some stellar names too.

Not sure what it's supposed to link to since the table is in-text, but the Premier League link up top goes to Nagy.

Third Team

Thanks, fixed that now!

Amateur

Nagy's goalscoring problems could be down to his low positioning stat, only 9. All other stats suggest he should/could be prolific. Good luck in getting the best out him

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyp View Post
    Nagy's goalscoring problems could be down to his low positioning stat, only 9. All other stats suggest he should/could be prolific. Good luck in getting the best out him
    Pretty sure positioning is a defensive attribute. Off the ball is the attacking equivalent.

Youth Team

Not a bad season, but might take something special to break into the top six. Shame you didn't do better on the cups, or are you mainly focusing on the league?

International Squad

Still doing well.

Third Team

Cheers guys!

@AK22 definitely just focusing on the league at the moment and hopefully the few signings that I've made will help me. ;)

Third Team

SEASON PREVIEW 2016/17

Media Prediction: 7th
    Board Requirement: Europa League Qualification
    FA Cup: 6th Round
    League Cup: 1/4 Final

TRANSFER NEWS
    It was time for me to make a move in the transfer window and bring in some real quality to add to the depth of the squad. Saying this though, I have only spent 1.8M on one player. Dennis Heinze, an 18 year old striker from Germany with masses of potential and is already decent right now. I couldn’t find anyone else worth my money and no older players appealed to me, at this moment in time. He will partner Nagy up front for many seasons to come, whilst Cardozo also helps out. Josh McEachran became by second signing of the season, coming in for free having been released from Chelsea. He’ll add another Englishmen to a very good central midfield line up. Finally, probably my biggest coup of the window is former Manchester United defender Chris Smalling also coming in for free. Whilst at United Smalling showed no interest of coming to me, even when approaching the end of his contract but a 78K a week contract offer meant that he quickly became Stoke’s highest paid player.

Departing the club were two signings that I had previously made earlier in my tenure, Tomas Hubocan (1.8M) – Frankfurt and Shikabala (1.2M) – Catania. It was definitely the right decision to sell these two players, they were approaching the end of their contracts and taking up a fair amount of the wage budget whilst not really adding to the team. Other key players departing on frees were Simone Padoin and Wilson Palacios, who has been a great servant to the club.

TOP EPL TRANSFERS | YOUNES BELHANDA – CHELSEA (19.5M)

TEAM REPORT
    This season I believe that I have one of strongest teams I’ve had yet and so I should, I’ve been here 5 years now! Up front I have the likes of Nagy, Sturridge and Cardozo, supporting them is Fleck and Firmino. Then in central midfield I have Elm, Delph, McEachran, Cairney and Wilson – whom will be supported by some of the youth coming through the ranks. Then finally, probably the strongest part of my team is in defence with the likes of Shawcross, Huth and Smalling.

These players will form a part of my new formation, a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 as well as being able to transform into a usual 4-4-2. The only problem I have with the first formation is the lack of width but to be quite honest I don’t have the options out wide.

KEY PLAYERS
    These players will be integral in deciding whether I have a good season;

Asmir BegovicI will heavily rely on him in goal yet again, any success I have will be mostly down to him.

Fabian DelphHe was one of my best players last season and I’ll be looking for much of the same this season.

Rasmus ElmHe’s still attracting the likes of AC Milan and Juventus and I expect them to still be interested come the end of the season.

John FleckLast season wasn’t his best but hopefully now with a bit more competition for his spot, he’ll shine.

Alright, this is the season where I’ve really got to push on and perform well in the league. I believe the squad has the quality to go very far right now and so it should!

Third Team

And how about these goals to whet the appetite. ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast