The Bootroom 2008 Big Challenge - Meon Valley

Issue 2 of The Bootroom fanzine should be hitting the virtual shelves round about now. If you have already read it, this is the right place to sign up for the Meon Valley youth team. If not, then here is a brief outline of what The Bootroom 2008 Big Challenge is all about.

Championship Club Southampton have been replaced by Meon Valley. Sadly (ahem) Southampton are now completely defunct, although they still exist in the database to keep player histories accurate.

The new club is frankly a bit of a shambles. There are only five senior professionals, virtually no money and a temporary ground while they wait for the builders to get going on the new Solent Superdome. The only coaching staff you have are also the two most senior players – at least it keeps the wage bill down! Surviving the first season will be tough (relegated in three out of four test games) and that’s where you come in.

First up, Meon Valley need a youth team, so we need willing Bootroom readers to sign-up, or anyone who has stumbled in here by accident of course! To sign-up you only need to provide three pieces of information, as per the example below. Positions will be assigned and there will be a maximum of 22 players – 2 each for every position in a 442:

Name: Joe Bloggs

PA or CA Bias: CA

Technical or Mental Bias: Technical

- CA bias means that you will start with a decent current ability between 80-100 (randomly generated within that range), but that your potential will be capped at 20 points above. You have a good chance of making the first team in the first couple of seasons and should have a decent career. You will be a safe bet, but not a superstar.

- PA bias will give you greater potential, but a much lower starting point (CA of 40). You could be a future international star, or you could be clubless and working in a factory by the age of 19.

- Technical or mental bias means that you will get two or three key attributes in your chosen area.

- Be bold. PA and Technical bias may sound more exciting, but with only five senior professionals you could be missing an opportunity to be written into Meon Valley folklore as they struggle to first stay in the Championship, then get out of it at the right end.

Join the Challenge

If Dafuge’s Challenge or Gundo’s Challenge seem a little overwhelming then this could be a good alternative. As soon as we have a youth team then the save game will be made available for download and you can take up the challenge. You can simply load up and jump in as the existing manager, Jack Striker, or retire him and add yourself in.

We would ask that you try to post regular updates on here about your progress – at least twice a season. We are also encouraging people to hop on over to the stories forum and exercise their literary skills. Check out the full article for player profiles and a fanciful start to the story (which you can either take up or create your own background).

Rules

- No editing with external utilities. Really, what’s the point.

- You must not get relegated to League One. Not in the first season or any other season.

- You must not get sacked.

- No boosting your finances by artificial means, such as excessive friendlies or taking over another team to buy your players for silly money.

I will also be running a holiday game. The first season results will be reported in issue 3 of The Bootroom, but I will also try and give some ‘half-term reports’ during the season on here. It will be interesting to see what happens to Meon Valley, with the AI left to it’s own devices.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Issue 2 of The Bootroom fanzine should be hitting the virtual shelves round about now. If you have already read it, this is the right place to sign up for the Meon Valley youth team. If not, then here is a brief outline of what The Bootroom 2008 Big Challenge is all about.

Championship Club Southampton have been replaced by Meon Valley. Sadly (ahem) Southampton are now completely defunct, although they still exist in the database to keep player histories accurate.

The new club is frankly a bit of a shambles. There are only five senior professionals, virtually no money and a temporary ground while they wait for the builders to get going on the new Solent Superdome. The only coaching staff you have are also the two most senior players – at least it keeps the wage bill down! Surviving the first season will be tough (relegated in three out of four test games) and that’s where you come in.

First up, Meon Valley need a youth team, so we need willing Bootroom readers to sign-up, or anyone who has stumbled in here by accident of course! To sign-up you only need to provide three pieces of information, as per the example below. Positions will be assigned and there will be a maximum of 22 players – 2 each for every position in a 442:

Name: Joe Bloggs

Technical or Mental Bias: Technical

- CA bias means that you will start with a decent current ability between 80-100 (randomly generated within that range), but that your potential will be capped at 20 points above. You have a good chance of making the first team in the first couple of seasons and should have a decent career. You will be a safe bet, but not a superstar.

- PA bias will give you greater potential, but a much lower starting point (CA of 40). You could be a future international star, or you could be clubless and working in a factory by the age of 19.

- Technical or mental bias means that you will get two or three key attributes in your chosen area.

- Be bold. PA and Technical bias may sound more exciting, but with only five senior professionals you could be missing an opportunity to be written into Meon Valley folklore as they struggle to first stay in the Championship, then get out of it at the right end.

Join the Challenge

If Dafuge’s Challenge or Gundo’s Challenge seem a little overwhelming then this could be a good alternative. As soon as we have a youth team then the save game will be made available for download and you can take up the challenge. You can simply load up and jump in as the existing manager, Jack Striker, or retire him and add yourself in.

We would ask that you try to post regular updates on here about your progress – at least twice a season. We are also encouraging people to hop on over to the stories forum and exercise their literary skills. Check out the full article for player profiles and a fanciful start to the story (which you can either take up or create your own background).

Rules

- No editing with external utilities. Really, what’s the point.

- You must not get relegated to League One. Not in the first season or any other season.

- You must not get sacked.

- No boosting your finances by artificial means, such as excessive friendlies or taking over another team to buy your players for silly money.

I will also be running a holiday game. The first season results will be reported in issue 3 of The Bootroom, but I will also try and give some ‘half-term reports’ during the season on here. It will be interesting to see what happens to Meon Valley, with the AI left to it’s own devices.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Mack2007:

hope i got in on time?????

this would be great to play and i sure cant wait to take up the challenge! Up Meon Valley!!! that sounds great!!! or in fact rather rude!!! LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the entries are in this thread, so you definitely got in on time.

Name: Craig Hopper

Technical or Mental Bias: Mental.

Trying to keep this as real as possible. In real life I'm 27 so unlikely to improve much and in my footy team I'm a bit of a midfield tackler who's not that technically great but can read the game well and all that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Mack2007:

ok great! it seems a great set up and will be a joy to play! Ive read the issue in places as im in the middle of writing an essay for a business degree and would like to say it is a great read! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The essay or the fanzine? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WillT23:

On behalf of a mate...

Daniel Williams

PA Bias

Mental

With this player i see 16 people that have signed up so far. By my reckoning, we need one more player! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The five senior players don't count towards the 22, so there are six more spaces yet.

I've got the first five into the database, but I had to go and pick my daughter up, so the rest are yet to be done. I should get the remaining players in tonight, so assuming there are six more signed up the save game should be available tomorrow morning.

Guys, please add to this list to make it easier for playmaker

1. David Pitt - PA - Technical

2. Mark Baker - PA - Technical

3. Scott Mackay - PA - Technical

4. Craig Hopper - CA - Mental

5. Keith Spendiff - CA - Mental

6. Jonny Hennel - PA - Technical

7. Robert Dawson - PA - Technical

8. Shaun Bullit - PA - Mental

9. David Evans - PA - Technical

10. Sergio Harris - PA - Mental

11. Conor Callan - PA - Mental

12. Chris Burns - CA - Technical

13. Sneaky Ninja - CA - Technical

14. Luke Kelland - PA - Mental

15. Blan Page - PA - Mental

16. Daniel Williams - PA - Mental

17. Billy Hawkins - PA - Technical

18. John Brian Carthy - CA - Mental

Just 4 more players needed guys!

19. Nick Burcher - CA - Mental

Just 3 more players needed guys!

20. Joe Albertella - PA - Technical

Just 2 more players needed guys!

21. Louis Jackson - PA - Technical

21. Louis Jackson - PA - Technical

22. Scott Sherman - PA - Mental

On behalf of a friend!

The valley is born

cant wait to get started on this it will be a good challenge! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just finishing off inputting the players. Then a quick test and off to bed.

A quick update...

The database is created and I'm just going to run another test season to make sure that the 22 new players have not unbalanced anything.

Hopefully that will have finished by the time I've fed my daughter and put her down for her morning sleep.

I'll post the link to the save game in the next hour or two with any luck.

Link to save game[/]

Oops, I pressed Post Now by accident. Anyway...

Here is the link to the Meon Valley save game.

I've decided that I will write up a three season holiday-game report in the fanzine, so that I can do a few more updates on here - one season would have been a bit limiting.

Happy downloading and don't forget to update us with your progress in this thread. We want to know who the Meon Valley legends are and who the flops are. Who did you sign? Can you stay up or even mount a promotion challenge?

Downloading now - can't wait to get started, I just wish I had more time to play it. I mght be one of the first to start, but I can guarantee I will be one of the last to complete the first season!

Good luck everyone!

Archived