Bought the Russian version, can't get it in English.

I'm English and live in Moscow. I've played every FM religiously since 2005, and I had been looking forward to FM12 for ages. I went to the shop on release day after work and bought it for 1000RUR (£20). When I got it home and installed it I found that it was all in Russian with no option to change the language. Not to be put off I went onto another forum and asked someone to upload a copy of the english language file from their game, which they did. No joy there either, even though I put it in the folder with the Russian language file it still didn't come up on preferences.

Basically, I have two questions:

1. Is there any way at all to get the Russian version to run in English?

2. If not, then why not? I mean, it must have taken some effort to reprogram something within the game so that the language file doesn't show up as an option even when placed in the correct folder. Is there a good reason for this?

It is always worth trying to contact one of the guys at SI or Sega to see if they are willing &/or able to help you out. Worst they can do is say no.

I'm English and live in Moscow. I've played every FM religiously since 2005, and I had been looking forward to FM12 for ages. I went to the shop on release day after work and bought it for 1000RUR (£20). When I got it home and installed it I found that it was all in Russian with no option to change the language. Not to be put off I went onto another forum and asked someone to upload a copy of the english language file from their game, which they did. No joy there either, even though I put it in the folder with the Russian language file it still didn't come up on preferences.

Basically, I have two questions:

1. Is there any way at all to get the Russian version to run in English?

2. If not, then why not? I mean, it must have taken some effort to reprogram something within the game so that the language file doesn't show up as an option even when placed in the correct folder. Is there a good reason for this?

You can purchase/download English version via Steam for about £18. I'm afraid there is no other way.

It's £30 via Steam. Why try to soften the blow?

It's £18 for Russia. Secret de Polichinelle :)

You can't imagine how furious Russians were after purchasing Steam version for £18 with No Russian language, while local retail price is about £10 with no other languages but Russian. It's a big mess with poor marketing strategy and product misinformation by SEGA and local publisher 1C-SoftClub that nobody wants to talk about. Also localised version has very annoying bugs due to lack of Quality Control. I don't know how publishers can sleep after this :)

It's £18 for Russia. Secret de Polichinelle :)

You can't imagine how furious Russians were after purchasing Steam version for £18 with No Russian language, while local retail price is about £10 with no other languages but Russian. It's a big mess with poor marketing strategy and product misinformation by SEGA and local publisher 1C-SoftClub that nobody wants to talk about. Also localised version has very annoying bugs due to lack of Quality Control. I don't know how publishers can sleep after this :)

obviously for sega it was actually marketing genius. and not poor think of the money they will now save if the hacking thing is true.

I do speak Russian. But there's a difference between speaking it in everyday situations, and playing a text-heavy simulator which requires a lot of micromanagement. It seems too much like work when it's in Russian, and I can't be arsed.

I agree. I am trying to learn Spanish by playing the game in Spanish but the biggest annoyance when changing language is that the attributes "move" on the player profile because they are in alphabetical order.

After playing FM for many years, I am used to how a striker should look and a central defender. In a different language this is usually revamped completely and totally confusing.

Acutally, it would be a nice feature to be able to choose to keep the attributes as they are in English when changing language and maybe not to difficult to incorporate in the game programming-wise.

Archived