A Step too far?

After two successive promotions with Shrewbury Town, I find myself struggling with one win, one draw and six losses after eight games in the Championship.

The quality of the opposition is massive step up in class and it's going to be tough to survive at this rate.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any advice?

After two successive promotions with Shrewbury Town, I find myself struggling with one win, one draw and six losses after eight games in the Championship.

The quality of the opposition is massive step up in class and it's going to be tough to survive at this rate.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any advice?

Sounds like you have been the victim of your own success. Love to see this happens as it's very realistic. Might be just time to knuckled down and try and grind out as many draws as possible to ensure survival.

yeh i did the exact same as you but with stranraer from Division 3 to 1 in successive years. To be honest there wasn't alot i could do tactics wise as although i had alot of players who where ready for level alot of them where yound and still hadn't increased potential. In the end i just prepared again for the division below but signed a few players who where good enough for division 1 and hoping some players would improve. Won promotion again by winning div 2 title and managed to just keep them up in div 1 in the next year. It may just be a case of trying and building again.

its bad luck really, if you are going up when a few of your key players are past it a bit and those promising youngsters havent quite reached thier potential then you will really struggle, i would go for a more defensive formation, get a few decent CB's on loan and make sure you have a reliable keeper, you should be able to hack it. altohught, if your objective is TRY to avoid relegation then if you go down the board wont sack you as long as you keppe a grip on finances and do whats expected in the cups. hope this helps

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

its bad luck really, if you are going up when a few of your key players are past it a bit and those promising youngsters havent quite reached thier potential then you will really struggle, i would go for a more defensive formation, get a few decent CB's on loan and make sure you have a reliable keeper, you should be able to hack it. although, if your objective is TRY to avoid relegation then if you go down the board wont sack you as long as you keppe a grip on finances and do whats expected in the cups. hope this helps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

got that spelling all wrong

I would say it is pretty realistic, as a rule you would expect the top 4 or 5 teams in a league to be as good as the lower 4-5 teams in the league above them.

That is why a team that gets relegated, generally bounces straight back if it retains the same players.

I took over at Bristol City who were languishing mid table in league 1. Promotion came fairly easy, but now I have been stuck in the Championship for 5 seasons.

Season 1 was a fight for survival and only some new signings and a few loan players from my parent club saved me.

Season 2 was a miss on the play offs by one place.

Seasons 3,4 and 5 have been losses in the play offs. The trouble now is that the league is generally won hands down by one of the relegated teams who are run away leaders, the final automatic promotion place has a tendency to also go to one of the relegated teams.

This leaves me fighting for a promotion play off place, I tend to get 5th and lose in the final.

Can't attract good enough players to get any better, when I get younger players and build them up to be good players, one of the premier teams tempts them away.

Feel stuck in a cycle of Championship football with no hope of escape :-(.

Because my manager started as unknown, no one in the world rates me, so I can't even move to a bigger club.

Ironically, this makes it one of my favourite games.

Archived