How to turn off Auto Update[Steam]

Hey how do I go about doing this on Steam? Can it be done for a single game or is it for all Steam games?

Because I don't want my Football Manager 2012 to auto update to the new patch, untill I've seen what people have said about it etc.

I remember before with FM10 people said it was too easy, so SI released a 2nd patch which made it more difficult. But with the 2nd patch strikers kept missing alot of shots one on one, and keepers were really hard to beat, alot of people called them 'super keepers' on these forums. So for a couple of months FM10 was really frustrating with the 2nd patch.

But I just uninstalled FM10 and reinstalled it and kept it with the 1st patch untill the 3rd patch was released. :)

So if I turn auto updates off on Steam would it be for all games or just FM12? Because if I get other games on Steam I want to keep them upto date, but I know Steam will update FM12 at the first chance it gets, and once it's done there is no going back to the previous patch, ever with Steam.

Thanks in advance.

So if I turn auto updates off on Steam would it be for all games or just FM12? Because if I get other games on Steam I want to keep them upto date, but I know Steam will update FM12 at the first chance it gets, and once it's done there is no going back to the previous patch, ever with Steam.

Thanks in advance.

It's supposed to be on a game-by-game basis. From your game library, right click on the game title in the list, select "Properties", "Updates", and switch to "Do not automatically keep this game up to date". But as alucasa said, to be 100% safe you should backup the whole FM folder. Another option is to launch Steam in offline mode all the time.

In your Steam library right click on the game/properties/updates and drop the tab to "do not automatically update this game" weird thing is this works fine if Steam is in online mode and you're online (i.e. it doesn't update)

If you have Steam in offline but your PC online it seems sometimes to over ride this.

Steam has a tendency of ignoring your setting of update, so the best way is to keep a copy of your FM 2012 folder elsewhere and simply replace the whole folder when steam updates the game.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do that.

Still got my fingers crossed that we won't always need Steam to be able to play our Football Manager. :D

In your Steam library right click on the game/properties/updates and drop the tab to "do not automatically update this game" weird thing is this works fine if Steam is in online mode and you're online (i.e. it doesn't update)

If you have Steam in offline but your PC online it seems sometimes to over ride this.

Ah thanks, I'll do that, good that you can turn it off for just one game.

I'll also copy the entire FM12 folder just incase.

Well, I haven't had a single issue for about 4 years now or ever since I started to use it. And I have no issue with games auto patching.

Steam games don't require installation (which means installing games that modifies registry entries). What that means is that, if you have a second HDD with just steam games on it, you can maintain your game library auto updated and that game library will work right away on another PC if you relocate the HDD.

Archived