Football Manager Handheld 2012 Support & F.A.Q.

Android

What should I do if I find a bug in the game?

Please report it in the Android Bugs Forum providing as much information as possible. Screenshots are always very helpful.

What devices can I run the game on?

The game should run on the vast majority of Android devices that are currently in widespread use. You will require Android OS version 2.2 (Froyo) or above, and a minimum resolution of 480 x 320.

How much space do I need?

We recommend having around 200MB storage space in total available before installing the game - this can either be on the internal device memory or on an SD card. You may need a small amount of available space on the internal memory for the initial Google Play download. Don’t worry – neither the store download nor the skin data that is downloaded is anything like this big!

How do I get started?

The first time the game is run, it will need to connect to the internet to download skin data. This is anywhere from 7MB-20MB depending on which skin your device will run, so shouldn't take too long. If your device isn't connected, you’ll get a download error.

After downloading, you will need to wait for the game to install data to the SD card (internal or external) before you can start playing. This may take a good few minutes on lower-spec devices in particular.

Help! - I can't install the game

Please post details in the bugs forum for us and we'll do our best to talk you through resolving any problems you might be having with installing the game. Such issues are rare, however they're also device specific so we'll need to ask you a few questions in order to resolve them (hence no generic fix posted here).

Help! - The game won't run!

If the device is connected to a PC, please make sure the connection type is set to 'Charge Only'. Mounting your device as an external disk will leave the game (and probably most of your other apps) unable to run.

If the game is dropping out for no apparent reason, you may be running out of available RAM. In this situation, fully powering off the device (by holding down the power key and then tapping the relevant option on screen) will often solve the issue.

If you’ve tried both of these without success, do of course get in contact with us via the Android bugs forum linked above

Why are there black borders around my game? Why doesn't it fill the screen?

Due to the massive variety of Android devices available and the different screen sizes they possess, it's not possible to have skins to fit every single resolution that's out there. We've included three skins in the initial release – in the two resolutions most commonly used by Android phones and an HD skin aimed at tablets – and we'll look to add more in future based on which devices/resolutions prove most popular among the game's purchasers.

How to email us a save game/how to delete saves/how to move saves between devices:

See this thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/254587-iFMH-Android-How-to-extract-and-send-us-your-save-game-file?p=7729086&viewfull=1#post7729086

How do I start unemployed?

Set the “Start Unemployed Allowed” to Yes in the Preferences, from the Main Menu. When you next start a new game, instead of picking a team to manage simply press Confirm. This will enable you to begin the game unemployed.

How do I start as a nation?

This is an unlockable feature! First you need to get a national job during normal play and win an international tournament. This will unlock international management, after which you will be able to start as a nation in new games.

Why can't I play the Saviour Cometh Challenge in Australia or the Scottish Third Division?

Since it’s not possible to be relegated from the Australian A-League or the Scottish Third Division, these leagues aren’t available to manage in when choosing the Saviour Cometh Challenge.

How do I confirm a national team for a tournament?

For International tournaments (such as the World Cup), it is necessary to call up a certain number of players - usually 23 - to the national squad. In these cases squads cannot contain more than, or less than, the stated number of players. This is not related to your team line up, which can be chosen when matches are about to take place.

If your current national squad contains the wrong number, you will be told the required number when attempting to confirm your squad in the News message. You will need to remove any excess players or call up additional players if you do not have the correct number in your squad.

• 1 month later...

iPad/iPhone/iPod

Please report it in the iPad/iPhone/iPod Bugs Forum providing as much information as possible. Screenshots are always very helpful.

How do I confirm a national team for a tournament?

For International tournaments, your national squad must contain a certain number of players, usually 23. This is the case for the World Cup, for example. In these cases squads cannot contain more than, or less than, the stated number of players.

If your current national squad contains the wrong number, you will be told the required number when attempting to Confirm your squad in the News message. You will need to remove any excess players or call up additional players if you do not have the correct number in your squad. This is not related to your team line up, which can be chosen when matches are about to take place.

How do I start unemployed?

Set the “Start Unemployed Allowed” to Yes in the Preferences, from the Main Menu. When you next start a new game, instead of picking a team to manage, just press Confirm. This will begin the game unemployed.

How do I start as a nation?

To start as a nation, you must first get a job as a nation during the game. Regularly visit the Jobs screen to see if any national teams have a manager vacancy. If you get a national job, you must win an international tournament in order to unlock national management. After winning it you will then be able to start as a nation in new games.

How to email us a Save Game/How to delete saves:

1) Plug your device into your computer

2) Start iTunes

3) Select your device within iTunes, from the Devices menu section

4) View the 'Apps' tab

5) Scroll down the screen to the 'File Sharing' area

6) Highlight 'FM 2012'

.dat files are your save games, and there can be up to 5 of them. The Manual Saves are named fm_save1.dat through to fm_save4.dat with the name reflecting the save slot used (1 = top slot, 4 = bottom slot). hidden.dat is the current Automatic Save file on the device.

Email them to alari.naylor@sigames.com when requested.

File sharing can also be used to transfer saves, shortlists and team selections to another device which has the game.

Any file can be deleted here, by pressing Delete on your PC keyboard or Backspace on your Mac. Be careful not to delete game.cfg, which is your Preferences file, as it will contain any unlockables that you have achieved.

The Manual is blank/empty:

If the Manual is failing to display, try rebooting the app. This will fix the problem temporarily but a longer lasting fix is to reboot the device.

To turn the device off: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, and then slide the slider.

To turn it on again: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears. It will then boot up in a few seconds.

Why can't I play the Saviour Cometh Challenge in Australia or the Scottish Third Division?

Because they do not have relegation, the Australian A-League and the Scottish Third Division are not available to manage in when doing the Saviour Cometh Challenge.

The game fails to boot after I have installed it, what do I do?

This will happen if the app has not installed correctly. The best advice is to delete the app from your device, reboot the device fully and then re-install the app. Don't worry, iTunes will know that you have already purchased the app and will let you download it again.

To delete the app: Hold your finger on the FM 2012 icon until all the icons on your home screen begin to shake. Then click the "x" in the upper left hand corner of the FM 2012 icon and confirm.

To turn the device off: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, and then slide the slider.

To turn it on again: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears. It will then boot up in a few seconds.

• 4 months later...
  • SI Staff

PSP

Please report it in the PSP Bugs Forum providing as much information as possible.

How do I add custom logos to the game?

A guide to adding custom logos can be found here.

How do I edit the data?

A guide to editing data can be found here.

How is the database setup?

Football Manager Handheld™ 2012 allows you to select multiple leagues to play with. This means that there are a number of ways to influence the distribution of players that are loaded in your game.

The game effectively includes 22 databases for you to play with. There are two databases available for each of the 11 nations - one when you load a single nation, and one when you load multiple nations.

Option 1: Selecting only one nation's leagues to load

This will result in the majority of players being loaded from the selected nation, with the top players (based on ability and potential) from other nations included.

Option 2: Selecting a primary nation (all leagues loaded) plus 1, 2 or 3 additional top divisions

Multiple league setups spread the players more evenly across the game world than single league setups. You will find that teams will have just their most established players loaded. The only difference in opting not to choose the maximum of three additional nations is the speed of processing fixtures.

This option will also result in more realistic European results due to the improved balance of players at European clubs within active leagues.

Can I change the game start date?

Football Manager Handheld™ 2012 allows you to choose the starting date of the game. You can choose the start date for any of the nations you have opted to load.

For example, if you select to load Brazil and England, you will be able to choose to start the game in January 2012 (the start of the Brazilian league) or July 2011 (the start of the English league). This opens up some quite interesting challenges, as with a Brazilian start date set you could take over an English club who are midway through their season and battling against relegation.

How do I save & load tactics?

You can create your own tactics and save them to Memory Stick for future use in other save games. You are only required to manually save a tactic to Memory Stick if you want to use it outside of your current game and keep for future use. If you don't save a tactic to Memory Stick it will still appear in the game in which it was created, unless you decide to remove it.

Saving: You can save your edited tactic by highlighting it in the formations list (Tactics -> Formations) and pressing 'Save', which is assigned to the {Circle} button. Enter a suitable name using the on screen keyboard and proceed to select an available slot on your Memory Stick. If your Memory Stick doesn't have enough space for a new tactic, you can select to overwrite or delete an existing one using the file select display.

Loading: Highlight any formation in the formations list (Tactics -> Formations) and press 'Import', which is assigned to the {Square} button, then simply choose an available tactic to load from the file select display. Loading a tactic will not replace one already in the game (regardless of which formation you have highlighted when you select to import), but you can only have a maximum of 10 custom formations loaded into the game at once.

There is a 'Remove' action assigned to {Circle} to delete the selected tactic from the current game and make space for importing others or making new ones. The 'Remove' action only removes tactics from the current game, it doesn't delete them from Memory Stick, so if you save tactics to Memory Stick before removing them, they can be imported back in future.

Archived