Players Retiring after injuries [Merged]

Just into start of season 3 with Newcastle, all going well and finished 3rd last season so CL football here I come

Hatem Ben Arfa fractures his skull in an early game - gutted, 6-8 weeks out.

News flash the next day - he's decided to RETIRE at the end of the season due to his injury problems

aaarrrgggghhhhh

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just into start of season 3 with Newcastle, all going well and finished 3rd last season so CL football here I come

News flash the next day - he's decided to RETIRE at the end of the season due to his injury problems

aaarrrgggghhhhh

I'm surprised he's only out for 6-8 weeks, but I feel for you, I'd be pretty upset if that happened. At least you have time to prepare a replacement.

aaarrrgggghhhhh

How about his injury history, picked up any major injuries before that? Also how is he performing, this could affect how 'easily' player decides to retire.

He's playing fine - had three injuries over two seasons - nothing too major. The weird thing is hes going to be playing by Christmas when fit again, so will go through the second half of the season then retire at the end. Have just tried to convince him to 'postpone retirement' but hes not having any of it!

Maybe he wants his wages until end of season and plans on getting another injury after his fractured skull ;)

But yeah, I like that this is in the game. Certainly adds to realism some players having to retire at young ages. You should be pleased its happened on your save!

Lol Tom, I feel honoured!

Yeah, if the problem is the fractured skull, he should retire imediatly

Isn't this the injury suffered by Petr Cech? A fractured skull sounds nasty but there are many types of fracture & there is no reason for such an injury to result in a player retirement.

I notice that someone has started a thread where Lucio retired following a broken leg, obviously two incidents is in no way a representative sample but I do think this is something that needs to be monitored.

• SI Staff
Isn't this the injury suffered by Petr Cech? A fractured skull sounds nasty but there are many types of fracture & there is no reason for such an injury to result in a player retirement.

Not all injuries are exactly the same, despite the type of injury being the same in the game. Also, different players react to severe injuries differently depending on their characteristics. So whilst someone like Petr Cech has come back from a similar injury and played on, another player with a similar injury might have different priorities and put his health ahead of his passion to play professional football. So it's not all black and white with injuries, but a lot of grey in between.

Riz, I do believe that is exactly what I was saying , the post I replied to & quoted suggested that a player should retire after suffering a fractured skull.

I am however interested in there being a few posts about players retiring after injury, this is something that used to happen a far bit in the CM days yet in 300+ seasons in the FM days I've never had a player retire due to injury so I'm wondering if some new code has been added that may have resulted in an increased probability of this happening.

Not all injuries are exactly the same, despite the type of injury being the same in the game. Also, different players react to severe injuries differently depending on their characteristics. So whilst someone like Petr Cech has come back from a similar injury and played on, another player with a similar injury might have different priorities and put his health ahead of his passion to play professional football. So it's not all black and white with injuries, but a lot of grey in between.

And the fact that that's implimented into the game is part of the reason why FM is so brilliant :thup:

Well, the guy stuck around being out for over half a year with injury, you'd think he'd be willing to stick out six to eight weeks. The only way this injury makes any sense is if it's a case of the last straw after other injuries.

I had Di Natale retire after the first season because of a broken leg, although he was 34 so probably makes more sense. He still was quality and had a year left on his £30000 a week contract so if I were him i'd probably give it a go for another year and bank the extra £1,5mill..

Don't think it can really be compared to Petr Cech really. Keepers tend to be more protected than other players by the rules/ref, and the amount of physical contact they are likely to be in with another player isn't anywhere near usually. I mean clashes can happen at corners or high balls but for much of the match a keepers head is going to be safe! Add to that the fact keepers are unlikely to need to head the ball as well as coming back from a fractured skull is quite different for a keeper than an outfield player.

Unlucky it's happened on your game but I kinda like the fact it can happen. The only odd thing I find, like the others, is that he's not retired immediately.

Just had my key CM retire. 20 years of age, knee ligaments out for 6 months then chooses to retire due to his injury... at 20!!!

I'm Queens Park and it's hard enough keeping my key players but to have one retire due to injury at 20 is a joke.

I've noticed also a lot of players are complaining due to this problem 1 gamer had Lucio and another Hatem Ben Arfa, unsure if it's a bug overall?

Anyway, cracking game, thoroughly enjoying it regardless of this minor blip.

I agree its a good feature and didnt happen enough before.

However Lucio retiring at 33 because he broke his leg and was out for a season is understandable his career is coming to a close anyway.

However, retiring at 20 because of a 6 month knee injury? Thats a bit much. How many players go through career saving knee surgerys. Gerrard has just come out of one and hes alot older than 20!

Every person is different, just as every knee is different. Coming back from such an injury requires hard work and commitment, not everybody is willing to go through the rehabilitation needed after a serious knee injury. Can Queens Park afford to pay for the surgery? Perhaps there are risks from the surgery, higher chances of arthritis in later life etc, that the player was not prepared to risk. As the example was Queens Park we are talking about an amateur player, he may have work commitments that were more important than football, and the injury caused him to realise he couldn't do both.

Yeah injuries can end careers but the way its presented now it seems like a 20 year old is deciding his career is up. Give a medical evaluation or say hes retiring based on medical expertise. How it is now it just seems like hes throwing in the towel because he feels like it which is just frustrating.

Yeah injuries can end careers but the way its presented now it seems like a 20 year old is deciding his career is up. Give a medical evaluation or say hes retiring based on medical expertise. How it is now it just seems like hes throwing in the towel because he feels like it which is just frustrating.

There is a recent case with Brighton that one of there star players who has been out already for about 6 months is now going to be out for even longer due to the operation not working, it happens mate it sucks big time but it does

• Administrators

Paul Lake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Lake :(

Ben Collett - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Collett :(

To be honest the injury set-up hasn't changed in this manner since FM11. Players do get injuries and retire, it's desperately unlucky for manager and player (I had Kieron Dyer retire for Newcastle a number of versions back) but it does happen both IRL and in-game.

John Kennedy retired from Celtic due to a serious injury and some recurring problems due to this incident

Kennedy received his first Scotland call-up for a friendly against Romania on 31 March 2004. Just 14 minutes into the match, Kennedy sustained a serious injury after a "late challenge" on him by Ionel Ganea, which ruled him out of action for almost three years.[25] Kennedy required several operations by Richard Steadman[26] before he could even attempt a comeback - taken from Wikipedia and "ate challenge" should read absoultly disgraceful

He tried and failed at 27 and then retired so it's not unheard of

Paul Lake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Lake :(

Ben Collett - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Collett :(

To be honest the injury set-up hasn't changed in this manner since FM11. Players do get injuries and retire, it's desperately unlucky for manager and player (I had Kieron Dyer retire for Newcastle a number of versions back) but it does happen both IRL and in-game.

About time this happened in real life tbh. He is ruined, his time is up.

By the way Neil, I always thought real life player retirement through injury wasn't in FM due to legal issues. Last time I seen it was way back in CM days

There is a recent case with Brighton that one of there star players who has been out already for about 6 months is now going to be out for even longer due to the operation now working, it happens mate it sucks big time but it does
`

Thats fine but imagine you are the Brighton manager.

You get told your player is going to be out injured for 6 months.

3 months pass and said player drops you an email saying Hes retiring because of his injury.

Thats it, no more information. Sure you can assume he didnt want the operation, you can assume hes a secret billionaire who doesnt need the wage or you can assume the surgery failed.

But why play a realistic simulation if Im going to be making stuff up in my head. Some form of medical explanation as to why he cant recover from the injury would be nice and ease some frustration of a 20 year old hanging up his boots.

Haywire? Three people mentioning it out of hundreds of thousands playing, if truth be told it didn't happen anywhere near often enough in previous versions.

Yes my friend but out of the 100 of thousands playing how many of them are active members of THIS official forum? 3 out of the number of registered users on this forum may be too many.

Mine happened in the 2nd season, lets see if theirs a correlation. If this has happened to anyone else how early in the game has it happened to you? If no correlation can be found then meh its just bad luck :(

I do understand that it is realistic and it does happen but I'm just curious whether it's a coincidence or a minor fault that 3 gamers have complained.

Is it possible that with better physios the retirement may not have happened?

Not a negative slant towards the game by the way, absolutely loving it. Just curious as to wether it's a fault or just pure bad luck.

Every person is different, just as every knee is different. Coming back from such an injury requires hard work and commitment, not everybody is willing to go through the rehabilitation needed after a serious knee injury. Can Queens Park afford to pay for the surgery? Perhaps there are risks from the surgery, higher chances of arthritis in later life etc, that the player was not prepared to risk. As the example was Queens Park we are talking about an amateur player, he may have work commitments that were more important than football, and the injury caused him to realise he couldn't do both.

It all depends on your age, I ruptured cruciate twice age 13 and 15 and it's a hell of a lot of work getting back,especially at those ages. It's a lot to do with previous injuries and age. e.e I was out for 1 year and a half when aged 13 somehow, it can be career ending but people like Pires bounced back. The NHS would obviously pay if Queens Park couldn't, meaning at that age, a long waiting time, but this would definately not be implemented within the game. They just stick around 6 -9 months on the player or whatever. Even though your suggestions are very very realistic ones, I don't think that much depth would be included in the game :)

Yes my friend but out of the 100 of thousands playing how many of them are active members of THIS official forum? 3 out of the number of registered users on this forum may be too many.

Generally if there is a widespread issue in the game, the forums here are flooded with complaints. There haven't been a large number of complaints about retirements, 3 people raising an issue is nothing really in the SI forums.

IEven though your suggestions are very very realistic ones, I don't think that much depth would be included in the game :)

I wasn't suggesting the ideas I mentioned were actually factored in, just that the likelihood of retirement in amateur players may be higher than with semi-pro/pro players.

Archived