+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Online gamespeed

Part-Timer

Unhappy Online gamespeed

Really?

Is it really impossible to make it at least a little playable? - 3-5 sec lag on EVERY SINGLE click!?

Will this ever be improved or will your 1995-ish network-code still be used in FM?

Loving the game, but seriously.. I'd be embarassed if I was involved with the development of FM to release a game with such a terrible online gaming experience for the customers. Its just horrific.. major letdown..

Oh well.. hoping for FM2013 then..

First Team Squad Member

I hate this as well I tried to play a couple of online games but given up due to the lack of speed when clicking on anything.

Amateur

Me & a mates is actually quite quick, barely any lag.

Amateur

Definitely a part of FM that needs looking at in the future. I've tried to play countless online games with mates and other people but the slowness puts me off big time. I've seen a few people say on the forum that not enough play online to have it seriously looked at but I believe if the speed was decent a lot more people would play online, would also make the game more competitive because the AI team building a few years down the line is terrible.
    Last edited by Chicha_14; 23-10-2011 at 23:44.

Amateur

I've been having more problems with this years game than ever before. Shouldn't it be getting better not worse?

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer89 View Post
    Well why don't you share your secret with others?

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by mcchalk View Post
    I've been having more problems with this years game than ever before. Shouldn't it be getting better not worse?
    Exactly how I feel.. this time it is even worse than it was last year..

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer89 View Post
    Are you sure it is online and not just LAN?

I've never met anyone who has even decent game speed online..

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
    I hate this as well I tried to play a couple of online games but given up due to the lack of speed when clicking on anything.
    I've actually managed to "force" myself through a couple of seasons. It is simply fantastic to play multiplayer in FM which is why it annoys me so much that the experience simply gets worse for each version of FM

A couple of seasons ago I was thinking that they chose to ignore it due to it might compete too much with FM Live and they didnt want that, but FM Live is no more so that cant be why.. Or perhaps too few people are actually interested in online gaming and they therefore dont prioritize it high enough.

Amateur

I have done 12 seasons online and the speed was pretty decent in fm2008. Some times (rarely) it was slower, but as it wasn't all the time the problem was for sure related with the computers or the internet connection. Are you sure the firewall isn't filtering too much, or there isn't any other application installed on any of your computers that may cause that, or even the internet speed?

Part-Timer

It isnt related to router/firewall/ISP/PC problems.. I've had this problem since it became possible to play online in FM. And during that time I've moved, changed PC, changed router, changed OS, tried from other other countries.. you name it, I've tried it..

I'd really LOVE it if it were a problem I could fix, but I've yet to see a solution or even a hint of a solution for this.

Some people think I'm Bonkers, I just think I'm free!!!! :D

Who is your ISP and what's your connection speed and upload speed?

Amateur

I'm guessing it's the player having rather bad upload speeds. Online gaming is quite a bit different compared to single player.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    Who is your ISP and what's your connection speed and upload speed?
    I dont know if you're asking me.. I'll answer anyway

My ISP is Telenor in Denmark. I have a 6/1 Mbit. Effectively I have 1.5 Mb upload.

I've monitored FM's bandwidth usage during online gaming and it is very small. I've also tried to play on different machines with different dl/ul speeds. Dont really notice any difference though.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by 0gris View Post
    I'm guessing it's the player having rather bad upload speeds. Online gaming is quite a bit different compared to single player.
    Oh, really?

Well if the game requires a 10mb upload speed to be able to play without huge lags it isnt "bad upload speeds".. its bad programming.

Anyway, it seems as if some have no problems, while others do, regardless of connection speeds.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by 0gris View Post
    Oh, really?

Well if the game requires a 10mb upload speed to be able to play without huge lags it isnt "bad upload speeds".. its bad programming.

Anyway, it seems as if some have no problems, while others do, regardless of connection speeds.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Herter View Post
    Oh, really?

You'd be surprised. I'm not sure about the bandwith usage of the game myself. But 10mb isn't a lot.
    It's also possible there is some other issue however. SI would need to clarify on the actual network usage and recommended upload speeds.

Amateur

I have also always had slow games. What annoys me is that it is the UI that is slow! Does the came contact the server every time I click something? It should be possible to just have the server update the local database each time we click continue and not contact the server every time you click a new player. And even if it contacts the server each time you click something it is just a database look-up, and with a 20/2 Mbit/s line it shouldn't take 3-4 sec. Please fix this!
    But I still play online because it is so much fun to beat your mates

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    Well why don't you share your secret with others?
    There isn't any secret.. we play & it's quick lol, simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Herter View Post
    Are you sure it is online and not just LAN?

I've never met anyone who has even decent game speed online..
    Yeah I'm sure, he's at his house, I'm at mine, it'd take a pretty big cable if it was LAN

Youth Team

I think it have a lot to do with the machine and connection possessed by the host, a host with a decent computer and good upload should make it run reasonably fast, i never really noticed a massive difference from sp in the short term online game I played on fm10

Amateur

We had this come up the other week when me and a few other started playing, and by changing the host the situation improved drastically.
    Unless it was blind luck, im pretty sure its down to Computer (specs) and Internet Connection. A decent download/upload no cap ISP is probably the best thing you can have.

The only annoying part of online play, is how many times it stops per day, i mean really it only needs to do so once per day....

Amateur

Most of the time it comes down to Game Latency. IE, it is not the hardware etc, it is the inherent Latency on any given ADSL/DSL or Cable type lines. You could have the fastest Rig going, but it is down to how much data can be pushed through.

+ Reply to Thread