+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: If You Count Your Chickens Before They've Hatched, They Won't Lay An Egg

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by HotChocolate View Post
    The top 6 teams always get one sort of run at the end of the season
    Very true. Thankfully, it was us that had the great run of form, and Leeds who had the run of doom.

Quote Originally Posted by roganp View Post
    Looking good for the playoffs again, but a late push for an automatic spot is still possible.
    Champions

Quote Originally Posted by B.W.G View Post
    Congrats on winning the title and the JP Trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by DazRTaylor View Post
    Congratulations on promotion
    Thanks chaps, I'm very satisfied how the season panned out. The hard work starts right now though

Semi Pro

And more importantly, the satisfied the demands of the FMCU community!

Amateur

Great second half of the season. Well done on winning the title and the JP trophy

Incredible collapse by Leeds, losing 11 games in the second half of the season.

Amateur

Great season

Youth Team

Amazing turnaround to win the title!

Semi Pro

Started slowly but met the expectations late on. Now onto the Premier League - or is that asking a little bit much?

Now seriously, what's the goal for next year? Mid-table perhaps?

Semi Pro

Great double! You really did do well to pull back and win the league

Reserves

Shouldn't have any worries next year.

Youth Team

And more importantly, the satisfied the demands of the FMCU community!
    I will sleep a lot easier now I've pacified the community!

Quote Originally Posted by roganp View Post
    Great second half of the season. Well done on winning the title and the JP trophy

Incredible collapse by Leeds, losing 11 games in the second half of the season.
    Leeds demise was pretty spectacular by anyone's book. They might even have been relegated if they hadn't such a strong start to the season. Couldn't have happened to a nicer team as far as I'm concerned too!

Quote Originally Posted by City2000 View Post
    Great season
    Great double! You really did do well to pull back and win the league
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeXe View Post
    Amazing turnaround to win the title!
    Cheers! It just so happened that everything clicked at the right time. Mind you, I can't underestimate how much of an impact signing Billy Sharp was too. Without him, I'm sure we would have had to battle through the playoffs again.

Quote Originally Posted by noikeee View Post
    Started slowly but met the expectations late on. Now onto the Premier League - or is that asking a little bit much?

Now seriously, what's the goal for next year? Mid-table perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by deltablue View Post
    Shouldn't have any worries next year.
    The board only expect us to avoid relegation, but I'm quietly confident of a steady lower mid-table finish. The squad's pretty stable, and we look good at the back, so we might be even a decent outside bet for the playoffs if we can carry forward our momentum from last season.

Semi Pro

Yeah safe mid table will be a good season i think. The Championship is a tough league as you know. Don't underestimate the loan market though - you can pick up some real gems for free for a season from the Premier League.

Amateur

Congratz on the double

and like Daz has said, the loan market is brilliant for the Championship

Youth Team

Hull City A.F.C.

Pre-Season Summary 2017/18

Wage: £2000 per week | Contract Length: 2 years

The board wanted to extend my contract by three years, but I thought that would be putting all my eggs in one basket somewhat, so I've negotiated it down to two. The £700 payrise is pretty nice though.

Board Expectations

npower Football League Championship: Avoid relegation
    FA Cup: Third Round | Carling Cup: Second Round

Transfer Budget: £1.47m
    Wage Budget: £155k per week | Current Player Wage Total: £144k per week

Media Prediction: 23rd | Title Odds: 33/1

Disappointingly, there was no increase on our wage budget, as the board want to keep a tight grasp on the finances over the course of our first season back in the Championship. I have reinvested some of the transfer funds to give me more a slightly bigger wage budget to play with, otherwise I would feel too restricted on what transfer activity I could make. The media prediction of 23rd is pretty harsh in my eyes, and I would be disappointed if we got sucked into the relegation dogfight. In my opinion, there are five significantly worse teams in the division than us, so I'll be looking for a lower midtable position as a minimum.

Transfer Activity

Transfer Summary
    Club Signing of the Window: Luca Nunziata
    Total Amount Spent: £550k | Total Amount Received: £375k

Thankfully, over the summer, the board increased the scouting range, which allowed me to scout the whole of Europe. Due to this, twelve new players joined the club from such exotic locations as Cagliari and Antalyaspor. Mario Mutsch, Richard Boateng, Wágner (not that one!) and Emiliano Sala should bring a touch of foreign class to the squad, whereas Jason Puncheon and Stuart Armstrong will be another couple of experienced British heads. Luca Nunziata was a last minute signing, but has the ability to be a good Premier League 'keeper, so there was no way I could refuse. Potentially, he could keep us up single-handedly.

Tactical Outlook

This is my initial formation and team instructions:

I changed our tactics midway through last season, and I'm going to stick with it for the start of this one too. It's an attacking outlook, and one that leaves us at risk to the counter attack, as the wingers are so advanced and don't track back, but the results so far have been brilliant. As we push so far up the field, we tend to dominate possession, with the attacking six grinding teams down and creating plenty of chances. This may not work as intended in a higher division, so I may need to revert to something more cautious sooner rather than later, but I'm hoping to take the league by surprise and record a few early victories.

Other News

I've signed a new Assistant Manager. I inherited Phil Neville from my predecessor, and as much as I detest the Nevilles in real life, I decided to let him see out his contract, rather than pay him any compensation. This finally expired over the summer, and has been replaced by Andreas Lindberg, who should be a solid number two.

Last edited by AK22; 28-11-2011 at 21:16.

Youth Team

Yeah safe mid table will be a good season i think. The Championship is a tough league as you know. Don't underestimate the loan market though - you can pick up some real gems for free for a season from the Premier League.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azeryk` View Post
    Congratz on the double

and like Daz has said, the loan market is brilliant for the Championship
    Thanks guys, but I fear I may have overlooked the loan market somewhat. I did ask my assistant to assemble a couple of reports on a few positions, but they never returned with anything worth serious consideration. Depending on results, I may have to reconsider come January though, and bring in a couple of impact players if required, although I'm pretty content with the squad I've assembled so far.

Semi Pro

I use specific clubs. So you can pretty much guarantee Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City have decent players available for loan. They also buy the best youngsters ans the NewGens com through. You can get your Assistant Manager to scout individual clubs for a loan report

International Squad

Well done getting Dull back in the Championship.

Reserves

Once you're established it'll be a massive task trying to go up again.

Third Team

Good luck in avoiding relegation

Youth Team

How can you hate Gary Neville? He's hilarious, like a teacher's pet/goblin sort of thing crouching on Fergie's shoulder.

Reserves

Good luck in the Championship with Hull AK22.

Part-Timer

How can you hate Gary Neville? He's hilarious, like a teacher's pet/goblin sort of thing crouching on Fergie's shoulder.
    I LOL'd at this.

Cracking stuff AK, now for a further promotion and the prem!

Third Team

Good luck in the Championship. I bet on 17th to start!

Youth Team

I use specific clubs. So you can pretty much guarantee Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City have decent players available for loan. They also buy the best youngsters ans the NewGens com through. You can get your Assistant Manager to scout individual clubs for a loan report
    Never really crossed my mind before, but will definitely see what's available when January comes around now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby_McDonald View Post
    Well done getting Dull back in the Championship.
    Cheers Nobby.

Once you're established it'll be a massive task trying to go up again.
    True, but we've got a good steady revenue stream from our ticket sales, so even though we won't have the windfall payments of clubs relegated from the Premier League, we've probably got enough financial clout to build a top half side.

Good luck in avoiding relegation
    Thanks B.W.G, but I'd be really disappointed if we're anywhere near the bottom three.

I've hated Gary 'You Know' Neville ever since that day he celebrated Utd's last minute winning goal in front of the Liverpool fans at Old Trafford. Absolute disgrace. Terrible commentator too, IMO. When he started on Sky, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but even though his analysis isn't too bad, his voice makes my ears bleed. Hopefully they'll see sense eventually.

Although I still find it hilarious that his father is called Neville Neville!

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    Good luck in the Championship with Hull AK22.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycar View Post
    I LOL'd at this.

Cracking stuff AK, now for a further promotion and the prem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deisler26 View Post
    Good luck in the Championship. I bet on 17th to start!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I think 17th is a decent shout, somewhere between 13th and 19th would suit me fine this season.
    Last edited by AK22; 29-11-2011 at 21:23.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by AK22 View Post
    I've hated Gary 'You Know' Neville ever since that day he celebrated Utd's last minute winning goal in front of the Liverpool fans at Old Trafford. Absolute disgrace. Terrible commentator too, IMO. When he started on Sky, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but even though his analysis isn't too bad, his voice makes my ears bleed. Hopefully they'll see sense eventually.

Are you a Liverpool fan? If so, would it have been funny if Carragher had done it? If not, what if one of your home-grown players had done it following a derby win? I'm not even close to being a Man Utd fan, but if Sammy Ameobi or Steven Taylor did it infront of the mackems I'd find it hilarious.

If it's the "he could have caused a riot" argument then I think the fans should take a look at themselves in that instance. If a wiry little man with a rubbish mustache doing that infront of you sends you into apoplexy then I dread to think how you survive daily life.

Edit: Personally think Red Nev is the best pundit on TV at the moment. He's not afraid to speak his mind and usually actually had a good point.
    Last edited by SnakeXe; 29-11-2011 at 22:29.

Semi Pro

Are you a Liverpool fan? If so, would it have been funny if Carragher had done it? If not, what if one of your home-grown players had done it following a derby win? I'm not even close to being a Man Utd fan, but if Sammy Ameobi or Steven Taylor did it infront of the mackems I'd find it hilarious.

If it's the "he could have caused a riot" argument then I think the fans should take a look at themselves in that instance. If a wiry little man with a rubbish mustache doing that infront of you sends you into apoplexy then I dread to think how you survive daily life.

Edit: Personally think Red Nev is the best pundit on TV at the moment. He's not afraid to speak his mind and usually actually had a good point.
    It is the inconsistancy though. Adebayor got heavily fined for his antics against Arsenal. Neville got off scot free, as per usual. THAT is what annoys me.

Youth Team

It is the inconsistancy though. Adebayor got heavily fined for his antics against Arsenal. Neville got off scot free, as per usual. THAT is what annoys me.
    I am a Liverpool fan, but that's not the whole point; I was equally appalled by Adebayor's actions against Arsenal a couple of year's ago.

It's not in the spirit of the game, you celebrate with your own fans, not run the length of the pitch to provoke the opposition's. I'm all for rivalries, and players showing passion, especially when playing in derby matches that mean so much to the fans and the club as a whole, and no-one could question Neville's passion and loyalty to Man Utd, but I thought his action on that day were wrong. He knew exactly what he was doing, and the type of reaction it would get, so deserved a more severe punishment than the one he received. If a Liverpool had scored the last minute winner (unlikely, I know) and one of our players had done the same thing, I would like to think I would have had the same reaction. I often go to live games, whether that's Liverpool, England or just one of my local sides, so I appreciate how the atmosphere and tension inside the ground can affect fans and players emotions, but I feel it's important to show it through the appropriate channels.

In regards to his punditry, as I've said, I don't find it too bad. As he's only just retired, he's still very much in touch with how the modern game is played, and can be rather insightful with his analysis, but it's his dull monotone voice and regular 'you know' interjections that tend to annoy me the most. He's much better in the studio doing the half-time/full-time analysis than he is as co-commentator on live matches, I much prefer Alan Smith, or dare I say, Ray Wilkins on play-by-play action.

I'm happy to agree to disagree on this. Everyone has an opinion, and is entitled to share it with anyone willing to listen. That's one of the reasons that makes football such a great sport to follow

Youth Team

Well in that case the blame lies with the FA for the inconsistency rather than with Neville. What he did was (to me) childishly endearing - I bet it's what all the 6 year old Man Utd fans in Surrey dream about doing one day. It's different to the Adebayor situation in that Neville's reaction was one of footballing passion stemming from how much he loves his team, whereas Adebayor was playing for a team who have no historic rivalry with Arsenal - his was a personal reaction in response to perceived slights on his character from the Arsenal fans.

As for as a co-commentator, I've not sat down in front of too many matches he's done but he's not terrible. Certainly not as bad as Mark Lawrenson. Definitely better as a pundit though (the same can't be said for Lawro). I generally like Ray Wilkins, his absolutely hilariously bad coverage of the Real Madrid - Spurs match last season aside.

Agreed on the last point entirely

Youth Team

Right, lets get this thread back on track...

A surprising offer considering I've only just started my first season in The Championship, but still an intriguing one. I quite fancy a few weeks in Sharm el-Sheikh every season, so it would be a hard offer to refuse. It also gives me the opportunity to spread my wings somewhat, and get myself noticed on a wider scale.

Reserves

Yep, strong ACN progress will help.

Youth Team

Egypt

World Ranking: 52nd
    Rival Nations: Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Libya

Stadium: Cairo International Stadium, Cairo (Built 1960)
    Capacity: 74100 all-seater

Fixtures

After failing to qualify for the World Cup, the Egyptian FA decided they needed a new national team manager, and I was apparently top of their list. Two friendlies up first, against Central African Republic and Mozambique. These are then followed by our first competitive game away to Uganda at the end of November, so at least I've got a couple of games to get my head around things first.

FA Expectations

Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers: Qualify easily from group stages

Definitely achievable. We've got Uganda (134th), Sierra Leone (41st) and Swaziland (166th) in our group, so it's really between us and Sierra Leone to battle out for the one automatic qualification place. I'm quietly confident it will be us, but we will need to put in solid performances in every match we play to guarantee it.

Initial Impressions

Squad Overview | Facilities

Overall, the squad looks more than decent, so I'm flummoxed to why they couldn't qualify for the World Cup. From first glances, we look well covered, with at least two decent players capable of playing each position, so I'm feeling very upbeat about things. Goalkeeper Mohamed Ismail looks strong enough, and we should have plenty of goals in us with Mohamed Kamel and Yasser Ramadan in the team.

Youth Team

Egypt! Not bad. Should be a decent side to do well in the African Cup of Nations.

Semi Pro

I used to like Egypt as a country and as a footballing team.

Then they denied me a chance to manage in the World Cup... Good luck nonetheless, lets hope you can do the same to some computerized manager!

Youth Team

Yep, strong ACN progress will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by cerud View Post
    Egypt! Not bad. Should be a decent side to do well in the African Cup of Nations.
    I used to like Egypt as a country and as a footballing team.

Then they denied me a chance to manage in the World Cup... Good luck nonetheless, lets hope you can do the same to some computerized manager!
    I don't think we're as good as I originally thought! We've just drawn 2-2 against Uganda. Three home games in a row up next, so this will really define our qualifying campaign.

Youth Team

Hull City A.F.C.

Mid-Season Update 2017/18

npower Football League Championship
    : 10th
    Table
    Fixtures

Life in The Championship has started very respectably. We sit comfortably mid-table, only a handful of points off guaranteeing safety in the division, and with a decent outside chance of reaching the playoffs. Some of our performances along the way have been pretty pleasing to watch too, no more so than the two games where we found the net six times (against Wycombe and Watford). It appears my attacking philosophy is paying off, as we're the fourth top-scorers in the league, and the fans seemed pleased with our entertaining brand of football. Not that I particularly enjoy watching such hair-raising performances though; I'm much more at home overseeing a tight 1-0 win, taking three points and a clean sheet too.

Two players have really stood out so far, and they should take a lot of credit for putting us in such a good position at the half way stage. Argentine striker, Emiliano Sala, has been a revelation since his arrival, finding the net 16 times, ten of which have come in the last eight games. His emergence as top-sausage has meant last season's topscorer, Billy Sharp, has had to take more of a back seat this season, and has found himself warming the bench more often than not. The other hero of the season so far goes to Jason Puncheon. He'll be 32 at the end of the season, but seems to be at home playing at this level. With 11 goals and nine assists, his contribution has been vital.

Other News

One thing I failed to notice earlier was the fact that Leicester City are now owned by controversial businessman, Peter Ridsdale. For those not aware, this is a chap with a very chequered history in football, and was in charge at both Leeds Utd and Cardiff City during times of severe financial hardship. It could be argued that it was his poor mismanagement of the club's finances that contributed to Leeds fall from grace, and subsequent administration, taking them from Champions League semi-finalists, to League One nobodies in six seasons. He's started in good form at Leicester too, they've spent a net £20m on players this season already. I can see a point deduction coming their way not before long!

Last edited by AK22; 02-12-2011 at 21:26.

Third Team

A very good start to life in the Championship but my sympathy to Leicester for having Ridsdale as chairman!

Youth Team

Decent start in the Championship, especially given that its a bit jump up in player and calibre from League 1. How far off of the playoff spots are you?

Semi Pro

Solid start in the Championship, good luck for the rest of the season.

Reserves

Solid stuff AK.

Part-Timer
    Champions League prediction winner 2013/2014

Good start. Sala looks a bargain at £220k. If you can put a run together I don't think the play-offs are out of reach

Part-Timer

Sala looks like he could handle business in the Premier League, let alone the Championship! Great first season in the Championship you're having

Amateur

Solid start and with the Championship being so tight, a few wins could see you shoot up the table

Youth Team

A more than credible start to life with Hull with plenty of time for you to still reach the play-offs . If Sala can can keep up his rich vein of form then maybe even perhaps a sneaky outside chance of automatic promotion could be on the cards As B.W.G said, shame about Risdale at Leicester...but then again, as a Forest fan...maybe not such a shame .

Good luck for the remainder of the season

Youth Team

Thanks for all the comments

At the halfway stage, we're only five points off the playoffs, so it's a possibility we could sneak a place if we have a decent run of form post-Xmas. Sala has been a revelation considering his meagre transfer fee; being able to scout the whole of Europe has been a huge advantage this season.

A bit more info on the Leicester/Ridsdale front. They did actually spend last season in the Premier League, before finishing 19th and getting relegated back to the Championship, so they would have received a sizeable amount of TV revenue from that escapee. They've spent a net £32m on transfers over the past two seasons, and their current wage bill is £19m per season. In comparison, Hull's is £8.5m, and we're struggling to make a profit, so they are surely on a fast-track to insolvency if they don't get re-promoted this season.

Youth Team

Hull City A.F.C.

Season Review 2017/18

Competitions

npower Football League Championship: 2nd
    Position Graph | Fixtures

FA Cup: 5th Round | Carling Cup: 2nd Round

Season Summary

Match of the Season: Hull 6-1 Watford

Just like last season, the Hull juggernaut became virtually unstoppable in the post-Christmas period. It seems that we really move into top gear once the turkey's been eaten and the decorations have been taken down, losing just the three games out of the 25 we played. We've been sensational at times, playing some very attractive football, and thoroughly deserve the promotion we achieved come the end of the season. Throughout the months of February, March and April, we were the best team in the league, earning me the Manager of the Month awards, and defining us as serious promotion candidates. Automatic promotion was all sewn up with the win away to Swansea in the penultimate game, so it allowed us the luxury of a swansong in our final match against already-relegated Wycombe. Hull will be returning to the Premier League!

Our cup performances have been pretty exceptional too. There was no shame in losing 2-1 away to Aston Villa in the Carling Cup, and reaching the Fifth Round of the FA Cup certainly exceeded all our expectations. And, we weren't too far away from being shock quarter-finalists too. We gave Man City a great game at the Etihad Stadium, having more of the possession and creating more chances than the Premier League outfit. It really would have been the upset of the season, but, in the end, a 4-3 defeat was the best we could manage.

Financial

Bank Balance: -£850k
    Average Attendance: 21666 | Season Ticket Holders: 16725

We had the fourth highest attendance in the league, but still struggled to make any kind of profit. I'm not sure where all the money is going too; the wages are well under control, and I've only spent a minimal amount on transfers. Next season's £40m TV revenue should hopefully help right the ship.

Squad

Squad Overview | Transfer Summary
    Team of the Year | Overall Best Eleven

Fan's Player of the Year: Jason Puncheon
    Manager's Player of the Year: Jason Puncheon
    Top Goalscorer: Emiliano Sala (25 goals)
    PFA Championship Team of the Year: Jason Puncheon, Alex Pearce and Luca Nunziata

The players have been nothing short of amazing this season. The ability to find the net in nearly every game was probably the main reason we secured promotion, so well deserved praise should be given to Emiliano Sala, Charlie Austin and Billy Sharp, who found the net 61 times between them. Probably the two most consistent contributions came from our attacking wingers, Jason Puncheon and James McLean, chipping in with 26 goals and 37 assists between the two of them. The defence was slightly more porous than I would have liked, but perhaps, this was down to the mentality of the team rather than any technical incompetences of the back four. That said, Alex Pearce was still the leader of the line, and put in another strong showing overall.

Other News

Cardiff have pulled off the shock of the season, winning the FA Cup, after beating Chelsea on penalties in the final. However, they lost their second Wembley appearance of the season, succumbing to Watford in the playoff final. Still, they've got the Europa League to look forward to next year.

Kingstonian- A record high finish of 15th this time around. Still in no danger of challenging at the top of the table, but still comfortably clear of the relegation zone.

Career Summary

Code:
    Season     Team              League                   Finish    Cups                             
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2011/12    Unemployed
    2012/13    Kingstonian       Blue Square Bet South    3rd       FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round, FA Trophy 2nd Round
    2013/14    Kingstonian       Blue Square Bet Premier  3rd       FA Cup 1st Round, FA Trophy 1st Round
    2014/15    Kingstonian       npower League Two        16th      FA Cup 1st Round, Carling Cup 1st Round, JPT 1st Round
    2015/16    Kingstonian       npower League Two        17th**    **Resigned 19/12/2015
               Hull City         npower League One        6th       FA Cup 4th Round
    ​2016/17    Hull City         npower League One        1st       FA Cup 1st Round, Carling Cup 1st Round, JPT Winner
    2017/18    Hull City         npower Championship      2nd       FA Cup 5th Round, Carling Cup 2nd Round

Last edited by AK22; 04-12-2011 at 18:02.

Semi Pro

Fabulous achievement! Congratulations mate.

Now the real challenge begins. Very rarely does a team survive in the Premier League after two straight promotions. If you finish 17th or higher next time, in my opinion it will be your best achievement to date on this save.

Reserves

Great work getting Hull back to the Premier League...good luck staying there!

Semi Pro

Great stuff with the back to back promotions! The Championship is hard, the Premier League? Even harder! Good luck

If you stay up, don't do a Phil Brown... I doubt you can sing.

Semi Pro

If you stay up, don't do a Phil Brown... I doubt you can sing.
    Phil Brown can't sing either!

Semi Pro

Phil Brown can't sing either!
    I bet no-one from Yeovil can either!

Youth Team

Amazing season! I take lessons and I still can't sing...

Youth Team

Thanks chaps, delighted to get Hull back in the Premier League, but I have a bit of a dilemma now.

Do I try and keep Hull up the Premier League with budgets below? (I can't sing, HotChocolate, but I always give my teamtalks on the pitch at halftime )

Or do I take one of the following job offers?

I'm also being linked as the preferred candidate for several jobs around the globe, including amongst others, Rayo, Racing, Osasuna, Valenciennes, Puebla and Stuttgart.

I must say I can't find many reasons to turn down the Fulham job. I've been to Craven Cottage a few times in real life, it's an atmospheric stadium with a great history, and feel it would be a great opportunity to test myself at a much higher level. Also, the initial budgets set by the Hull board have set the alarm bells ringing too, as there is no way we'll survive in the Premier League with a wage budget of £210k per week. That's only an extra £40k than what I was spending The Championship, most of which will be taken up by the promotion pay increase several of the current squad will receive. However, I have found myself strangely attached to my Hull team (I never thought I'd ever say that!), and would find it hard to leave Puncheon, Sala and Sharp behind, considering how pivotal they have been to get the side into the Premier League. But then again, I would find it extremely demoralising to be the whipping boys of the league for the entire season too. We're at least five players away from making a decent fist of things at the higher level, and I just don't have the money to bring in the quality I need. Decisions, decisions...

Semi Pro

For me it's either Hull or Fulham. You can change the budgets by losing some transfer money (not sure how much you want the cash though) although if you lose 3m you will get a fair chunk in your wage budget (just as an example). I wouldn't want to be in your position right now though!

Semi Pro

Take Fulham.

Amateur

Great work getting Hull back to Prem, but with that budget I would take the Fulham job.

Part-Timer

+1 for Fulham. The wage budget at Hull doesn't leave you much to play around with and will be big struggle if you cant attract better players

Reserves

Go to Fulham.

Youth Team

Another vote for Fulham here. Great opportunity.

Youth Team

You've probably taken Hull as far as anyone could've hoped for. The Fulham offer is too good to turn down in my opinion.

Youth Team

Wow, that's some majority vote, thanks for the input

Unsurprisingly, I've accepted the job at Fulham. It's with a heavy heart that I leave Hull, but realistically, there's no reason I should turn down the opening at Craven Cottage. The weekly wage on offer is ten times higher, the transfer and wage budget should be pushing us towards the top half of the table, and even though I've never been to Hull, I'm sure I'd prefer to live and work in south London. I just hope Hull's first season back in the Premier League doesn't turn out to be the nightmare I fear it might!

Hull Record

Youth Team

I'd like to be optimistic about Hull but a £210k budget only points in one direction!

Good luck at Fulham

International Squad

London is much better than Dull so it's a no brainer.

Amateur

Great second half of the season with Hull! Had to take the Fulham job I think. Good luck

Youth Team

I'd like to be optimistic about Hull but a £210k budget only points in one direction!

Good luck at Fulham
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobby_McDonald View Post
    London is much better than Dull so it's a no brainer.
    Great second half of the season with Hull! Had to take the Fulham job I think. Good luck
    Cheers

First fixture? Away to Hull, obviously!

Damn you fixture computer, talk about baptism of fire!!!

Semi Pro

You were destined to begin your Premier League life at the KC!

Amateur

Always the way!

Go and stick 5 past them

Youth Team

Good job on taking charge of Fulham! Best option

Semi Pro

I bet Danny Murphy's still playing too.

Part-Timer

Called the promotion

Awesome season Ak, good luck with the Fulham job

Amateur

Good luck with Fulham, I would have voted for them if I wasn't late :P

Youth Team

You were destined to begin your Premier League life at the KC!
    Always the way!

Go and stick 5 past them
    I don't know if we'll score five, but I would have thought we'll win comfortably. Especially as I know how to counter their main threats.

Quote Originally Posted by cerud View Post
    Good job on taking charge of Fulham! Best option
    Quote Originally Posted by CityAndColour View Post
    I bet Danny Murphy's still playing too.
    Thanks

Danny Murphy retired after the 2012/13 season, and is now assistant manager at Aldershot!

Quote Originally Posted by jaycar View Post
    Called the promotion

Awesome season Ak, good luck with the Fulham job
    Quote Originally Posted by Azeryk` View Post
    Good luck with Fulham, I would have voted for them if I wasn't late :P
    Cheers, bit of a no-brainer really. Their one of my favoured clubs in real life (except for tonight, I hope the mighty Reds batter them!), so I'm really pleased to have the opportunity to manage them.

Youth Team

World Cup 2018

Hosts: Russia
    Holders: Germany

Group Stages

Knockout Rounds

Final

Italy 4-0 Uruguay

A bizarre World Cup in which Brazil, Argentina, England, Portugal and Germany all failed to make the quarter-finals. Other big shocks include both the USA and Cameroon making the semi-finals, and the hosts crashing out in the group stage.

Part-Timer

Its good to see the African teams doing well

Youth Team

Fulham F.C.

Wage: £19750 per week
    Contract Length: 4 years
    Transfer Budget: £13.55m
    Wage Budget: £725k per week
    Current Player Wage Total: £676k per week

Year Founded: 1896
    Nickname: The Cottagers
    Rivals: Chelsea, Q.P.R., Brentford

Stadium: Craven Cottage (Built 1896)
    Capacity: 25694 all-seater

2018/19

Media Prediction: 13th
    Title Odds: 1000-1

Board Expectations

Barclays Premier League: Safe Mid-Table
    FA Cup: Sixth Round
    Carling Cup: Quarter-Final

Initial Impressions

Past Managers | Previous League Performance | Facilities

It seems that the Fulham board have really upped the anti over recent seasons, especially considering they qualified for the Champions League four seasons ago. Although they failed to reach the group stages, it's apparent that a mid-table finish in the Premier League is no longer good enough, as they've sacked three managers since their fourth place finish. The set-up here has not actually changed at all recently though; the facilities are still pretty good, but obviously not up to the standards of the Manchester teams or Arsenal, so investment will be needed if the club is going to be consistently in contention for continental qualification. Realistically, in my first season, I'll be looking to satisfy the board's expectations with a steady performance in the league, offset by a decent cup run if possible, then build for Europa League qualification over the next couple of seasons.

Youth Team

Fulham F.C.

Pre-Season Summary 2018/19

Transfer Activity

Transfer Summary
    Club Signing of the Window: Bahadir Bulut
    Total Amount Spent: £4.5m | Total Amount Received: £17.5m

I've inherited a large squad, with quite a few talented individuals, but also with some players getting disenchanted with the lack of first team opportunities. Due to this, eight players leave the club, including three on loan, with only three new faces joining the squad. This, in total, leaves me with a first team squad of about 28, which is slightly larger than I would prefer, but it at least provides me with good covering options in all positions. Of the players signed, Bahadir Bulut will be a guaranteed first team player. He's got all the credentials to hold down a starting place, and the potential to be one of the best midfielders in the division. The signing of John Itubu on a free should turn out to be quite a coup too; he's definitely one for the future and probably good enough to make a handful of appearances this season. The final signing was Adam Johnson, an experience head, who also helps to fulfil our home-grown players obligations. I was also offered the opportunity to sign both Andy Carroll (Liverpool) and Gervinho (Arsenal) at rock bottom prices, but unfortunately, their wage demands were far higher than I was prepared to pay. I may go back for Carroll in January though, even if it's just on loan until the end of the season, as I feel he will complament our style of play.

Tactical Outlook

This is my initial formation and team instructions:

I'm sticking to what I know, and carrying on with the tactic I used to gain promotion with Hull. I think the main strength of the team is our attacking prowess, so it makes sense to start most matches on the front foot. Once again, I think we'll score plenty of goals this season, but that does leave us a bit exposed at the back, so I may have to tinker as we progress through the games. As a contingency plan, I am training the team a more cautious 4-5-1 back-up tactic, and one that I will probably revert to when we go away to some of the big teams. Otherwise, we might be on a hiding to nothing at times.

Other News

Hull have spent £9m on transfers over the summer, bringing in 14 new faces. At least they've given themselves half a chance of staying up, although at first glances, they do seem to lack a natural goalscorer, and may end up doing a bit of 'a Swansea', scrapping together a few 1-0's in their survival bid.

Semi Pro

Fair play to you - sopme outstanding transfer activity there. Also enabled you to have a budget for strengthening in January, if required.

All the best for the season

Reserves

Excellent finish to the season. Good luck in the Championship.

Edit: I should probably check the last page too. Ho-hum
    Last edited by Pangaea; 06-12-2011 at 11:46.

Amateur

Some really good signing there, good luck for the season

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by AK22 View Post

I think you misspelled "legend" there mate!

Seriously though, by having his club emblem sewn onto his beating heart and making rather in-your-face comments as a player, it is only natural that Liverpool fans (and many others) dislike him. That still haunts him now, but I think he is a pretty good commentator, probably the best of the bunch (which may not be saying much to be fair). Think it's great with some proper football analysis for once, insights from a pro player without the need to be 'controversial' to create headlines or interest. Breath of fresh air.

He does say "to be honest" a God-awful lot though.

Anyway, still reading this in between continues and non-FM activities.

Third Team

Well done on getting Hull promoted and good luck with the Fulham job

Third Team

Should've stayed at Hull, now they will beat you every time you play them.

Youth Team

Fair play to you - sopme outstanding transfer activity there. Also enabled you to have a budget for strengthening in January, if required.

All the best for the season
    Cheers. I'll still have plenty of my budget to play with in January if I want too, but the club's losing over a £1m a month at the moment, so I'll only spend if I really have too. No point tipping us over the edge if there's no desperate need.

Some really good signing there, good luck for the season
    Thanks, City.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangaea View Post
    Excellent finish to the season. Good luck in the Championship.

Edit: I should probably check the last page too. Ho-hum
    I do that all the time! Thankfully, that's what the 'edit post' button is for

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Pangaea View Post
    I think you misspelled "legend" there mate!

Seriously though, by having his club emblem sewn onto his beating heart and making rather in-your-face comments as a player, it is only natural that Liverpool fans (and many others) dislike him. That still haunts him now, but I think he is a pretty good commentator, probably the best of the bunch (which may not be saying much to be fair). Think it's great with some proper football analysis for once, insights from a pro player without the need to be 'controversial' to create headlines or interest. Breath of fresh air.

He does say "to be honest" a God-awful lot though.

Anyway, still reading this in between continues and non-FM activities.
    'You know', my heart did sink somewhat when I heard his voice on the Chelsea match tonight. Ah well, I suppose I can live with it, or always turn over to the Arsenal match

Well done on getting Hull promoted and good luck with the Fulham job
    Thanks, B.W.G., we've started well.

Quote Originally Posted by hursty2 View Post
    Should've stayed at Hull, now they will beat you every time you play them.
    It's ok, there's no hoodoo; we beat them 1-0 at the KC

Youth Team

Fulham F.C.

Mid-Season Update 2018/19

Barclays Premier League
    : 3rd
    Fixtures

Yes, you've read it right, we really are in third place at the halfway stage. We've certainly ridden our luck every now and again, and the 5-0 home defeat to Liverpool left a lot to be desired, but I couldn't be more pleased about how we've started our campaign. There's been some plucky displays along the way too, none more so than the fantastic 3-2 win at the Etihad Stadium, which really caught the eye, and shows we are team not to be trifled with. Our starlet so far has to be the young striker, John Itubu, who's banged in 17 goals already. I'm sure Man Utd are now having second thoughts about releasing him on a free transfer last summer!

I'd be amazed if we finish in the top three at the end of the season, but realistically, we've got to be looking at a top six finish as a very achievable aim. We've already equalled the points tally the club posted for the whole of last season too!

In addition to our encouraging league performances, we're doing well in the Carling Cup, and have reached the semi-final, where we will face Stoke in the New Year. We've definitely got a good chance of getting our hands on the trophy too; Chelsea and Blackpool are in the other semi-final, so I would be expecting an all-London final if we got through to Wembley.

Other News

Hull are just about clinging on to the pack above them, and are performing ever so slightly better than I expected. Whether they'll stay up, I'm not sure, they could really do with scoring a few more goals. However... at least they're not doing as bad as Watford, who only have three points courtesy of their only positive result, a 2-0 home win to Aston Villa.

Semi Pro

amazing start so far, nice to see Hull still have a fighting chance. Watford on the other hand...

I'd be embarrassed if it was me who lost to Watford!

Semi Pro

Loving this career

Terrific start with Fulham.

Reserves

What a great success so far.

Semi Pro

AK22, you might be waiting a while

if you don't get this, check his location.

Reserves

He could go to Finland.

Semi Pro

I've been there, never saw Santa

Youth Team

Christmas does make me laugh...

It's the only time of the year when it's ok to let your child sit on a strange man's lap while he's dressed in a fancy dress outfit. You do this any other time of the year, it gets called 'grooming', the child will need therapy for the next forty years, and the strange man will have to sign a 'register'

Cheers for the comments btw. I've been a very good boy this year, so deserve a very big present

Youth Team

Egypt

World Ranking: 29th

2017/18 Cup of Nations Qualifying Campaign

Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

Surprising, the qualifying campaign went without a hitch, only dropping points in the opening game away to Uganda. Sierra Leone went into the campaign with the highest world ranking out of the four nations in our group, so I was pleased that we managed to beat them both home and away, which ultimately, secured our position as group winners. Another big plus was the fact we went the whole calendar year of 2018 without conceding a goal, and breaking the national record for the amount of games without conceding.

Key Players

Mohamed Kamel | Wael Amer

These two have been absolutely crucial, both with excellent scoring records for their nation. If we can keep them firing, we'll probably do well in the forthcoming competition.

Team of the Year 2017 | Team of the Year 2018 | Overall Best XI

2019 Cup of Nations Draw

A fairly tough group, but at least we avoided the big guns of Cameroon, Nigeria and South Africa, all of which are in the Top 10 of the World Rankings. Realistically, we could get to the quarter-finals, which we are certainly capable of doing, but we'll need to take our good form from 2018 into the New Year.

Semi Pro

You say a tough group, which is true, but it could of been a lot lot worse.

Semi Pro

It is a tough group but it could have been worse. Then again, Algeria vs Egypt, everything goes out of the window.

Youth Team

Looking good on both the domestic and international front . Good to see Forest back in the Prem...Watford have to get more than 11 points, please! We can't have Watford taking the prize of the worst team in Premiership history!

Semi Pro

It is a tough group but it could have been worse. Then again, Algeria vs Egypt, everything goes out of the window.
    Haha yeah, good point. Remember the last WC Qualifying Playoff IRL? All hell broke loose.

AK22 - whatever happens, do not, under any circumstances, lose to Algeria. If you do, hire some security guards for your own safety.

Semi Pro

Haha yeah, good point. Remember the last WC Qualifying Playoff IRL? All hell broke loose.

AK22 - whatever happens, do not, under any circumstances, lose to Algeria. If you do, hire some security guards for your own safety.
    The playoff due to the EXACT same record? Oh yeah!

Reserves

Doing really well at Fulham mate. And good luck with Egypt too.

Quite a few of you, including you too AK22, are signing very good Turkish talents, I could use some of them at GS...

Reserves

Doing great so far. KUTGW.

Part-Timer

Going well so far. Europe should be the aim now. Looks like performed in every game apart from the Wolves and Liverpool games

Amateur

Fantastic start with Fulham AK Good luck in the African Cup of Nations.

International Squad

Well done with Egypt and going well with Fulham.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast