Closed Thread

Thread: Your Biggest Career Move

Amateur

Unlike some FM gamers, my goal is to get to a top, top club via success at less glamorous teams. At this point I need some inspiration to keep this up, so I ask you, what has been your biggest change of clubs?

Amateur

Unlike some FM gamers, my goal is to get to a top, top club via success at less glamorous teams. At this point I need some inspiration to keep this up, so I ask you, what has been your biggest change of clubs?

Amateur

Southampton to Liverpool not that big, but the Saints were in League 1 so thats ok I guess

Amateur

Perth Glory (Australia) to Norwich City

Amateur

Sydney FC (Australia) to Newcastle United (the English one, not the Australian one)!

Amateur

Werder Bremen to Hucknall Town.

Oh, you meant the OTHER way! Sorry

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by policy:
    Werder Bremen to Hucknall Town.

Oh, you meant the OTHER way! Sorry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did that happen??!!

Amateur

Worcester City to Leicester City after just 2 seasons which suprised me to be honest

Amateur

Worcester City to Leicester City after just 2 seasons which suprised me to be honest

Amateur

took harrogate from blue sq north straight 2 league 1.
    all the time from 6 months into the game i was getting premier league job offers.
    i eventually took arsenal job in summer 2010 they gave me 72 million budget and their squad was better than in 2007

Youth Team

FM06; went from managing TNS in the Welsh league to managing Barcalona.

It was a bit easier to get jobs in the good old days

Amateur

blackpool to AC Milan

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twattyatkins:
    Worcester City to Leicester City after just 2 seasons which suprised me to be honest </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you sacked after 2 weeks??

Amateur

will clubs like Barca, real, and Milan come in for you if you manage a good side already. Like if u manage Lpool and manage to take many cups and while with lpool, get offers from big teams?? or do they not bother asking assuming u wont leave??

Third Team
    This is what happens when an insomniac dreams.... www.otf2.com

The First game i started on fm08 5 went from tottenham to torquay with spells at crystal palace, stoke and middlesborough between all in the space of 2 and a half years

Part-Timer

Rugby Utd (Conference South) to Everton (Prem)

At that point I'd already built up a reputaton with domestic or european sucess at Aberdeen, Newcastle, Man City and Lazio, so I decided to try the bottom.

I ddn't like it much, but luckily my reputation was still big enough for me to get back to the top (sort of, I left everton after 3 days).

Amateur

im not sure but i think i was at chelsea but in 07 i left chelsea to go to harrow borough who i took to the top of the championship before i got bored.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daniel Foster:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twattyatkins:
    Worcester City to Leicester City after just 2 seasons which suprised me to be honest </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you sacked after 2 weeks?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been there for 4 months, must be a Milan Mandaric record!

Amateur
    Ah-babababa-bird bird bird, the bird is the word.

in 2019 and my biggest move so far was from harrogate town (blue square north) to stoke (championship).

since then i've gone back down to league 2, now with stockport, and im still waiting for at least a mediocre premiership club to come for me

Amateur
    Eastleigh FC! Previous Clubs - Stevenage, Torquay, Oldham, Southend, Reading

Woking to England after about a season, thanks to no skill of my own but the "Mr Nobody gets the National team job" bug

Amateur

Burscough &gt; West Ham &gt; Gladbach &gt; Monaco &gt; Leeds &gt; Internazionale

From humble Victoria Park to San Siro in 18 years.

Semi Pro
    The snow is all gone, I wish I could say the same about the player.

Celtic to Real Madrid.

Amateur

nuneaton-peterborough-tottenham-real madrid

all in a season and a half... that was one mad save

Reserves

Aachen to Liverpool. I'd only been there a couple of seasons (although I'd been at other smaller clubs before that), and at the time, had won absolutely nothing at club level. Hadn't even won a lower division.

I had won a World Cup with England that probably helped boost my reputation though.

Amateur

Started at PSG in France in 07/08 season, came 2nd in league and won french league cup.
    Second season won French league and runners up in Eufa cup.
    Third season moved to Ajax, won league, dutch cup and semi final of champions league.
    Fourth season got job at Roma, came second in league and won Eufa Cup.
    Fifth season just been offered (and accepted)the job at man utd......

Not bad me thinks......

Joel.

Amateur

FM07 Brøndby -&gt; Liverpool -&gt; Lille
    3 seasons in Brøndby, then ½ season in Liverpool and then of to to get Lille to the frence top flight

Reserves
    Granada, Spain @GranadaCdeF_en & @HeathISF Editor: InsideSpanishFootball.com

Hyde United in the BSN to Manchester United end of season 1.

In fairness though, I started the game with "International Footballer" reputation, had Man Utd set as "favorite club", signed a parent club deal with Man Utd, praised Ferguson and players all the time and at one point had 14 players from United on loan.

I edited nothing and did'nt "cheat" that I know of, but when you're a BSN club, with no loan restrictions and Man Utd as a parent club, what do you do other than loan everyone you can

Needless to say, I won the BSN, Setanta Shield, FA Trophy and reached the 4th round of the FA Cup, loosing a close game to Tottenham away.

At the end of the season, had already had Sevilla, PSG, Roma and Werder Bremen linking me to their vacant positions. Then, after Man Utd had ended 4th in the Premier and won no trophies, Sir Alex's contract was not renewed, a media report asked if I was interested, (wishing there was a "Hell Yes!" reply available...). Two days later I was manager of Manchester United

The downside to this though, was I was really enjoying my Hyde United save and wanted to split the saves with a new Man Utd save, whilst retaining a Hyde United save. Unfortunately I clicked "save" instead of "save as"

Was gutted I'd lost my Hyde United save. It also spoilt my enjoyment of my new job. Just goes to show the gras is'nt always greener eh...

Amateur
    Still laughing at the ‘2’ Dafuge’s thing. \'You know the simpsons episode when homer gets really fat and he has that thing that looks like a bird that goes up and down, i let it pick lucky 7 letters and thats what it came up with, magic\' PMSL!!

southend united to Nigieria

Amateur

do you need to apply to get offered a job at a big club?

It's just whenever you apply your current club gets mental and it's really annoying so i rarely bother applying...

Amateur

4 seasons at Kidderminster Harriers in FM08, 1 non-league cup success but no promotion, resigned and 5 weeks later had a successful application at Torino in Serie A. Went from £775 a month to £7000!!

Amateur

Started off with N.Forest in League 1 and after 2 promotions in 4 seasons and then a League Cup win while in my first season in the Premiership i was offered the England job and of course took it.

A couple of seasons on i then went to Man Utd.

Amateur

Started off with N.Forest in League 1 and after 2 promotions in 4 seasons and then a League Cup win while in my first season in the Premiership i was offered the England job and of course took it.

A couple of seasons on i then went to Man Utd.

Amateur

FM08: Bath City to uh... Bath City (LLM)

Ever - in CM 01/02 I started at San Marino and ended up at... Swindon Town. About 20 seasons in all.

Good fun.

Amateur

i started as man utd cus i dont get time to do loads of seasons, altho id really like the challenge of startin at bottom to work self up, but like said, i dont get the time, anyway, i got offered the czech republic job after they failed to qualify for world cup, thats the only offer ive had so far

Semi Pro

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GAVIN42:
    do you need to apply to get offered a job at a big club?

It's just whenever you apply your current club gets mental and it's really annoying so i rarely bother applying... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a gamble you have to take

Reserves
    Granada, Spain @GranadaCdeF_en & @HeathISF Editor: InsideSpanishFootball.com

Although it can depend on the chairman of the club, if you're at a club with far lower reputation than the club you apply for, then they tend not to have a problem I've found.

Another thing I tend to keep in mind is if I'm actually linked with the job in the media, as this can be a good sign that if you apply, you'll actually get the job.

Amateur

ok but in general you need to actually apply to get the job? cause on previous versions i have been offered a job without actually applying when ive been managing somewhere so i just wasn't sure if this has changed as it hasn't happened so far in this game

Amateur

ok but in general you need to actually apply to get the job? cause on previous versions i have been offered a job without actually applying when ive been managing somewhere so i just wasn't sure if this has changed as it hasn't happened so far in this game

Amateur

Biggest so far

Celtic to Bayern
    St. Pauli to Shalke 04
    Kaiserslauten to HSV Hamburg

Part-Timer

I start most of my games unemployed with most of the top european leagues running hence i quite often get interesting moves.

Top on was when i moved from lazio (who i'd won the CL for) to Roma because lazio wouldn't meet my wage demands lol. I felt especially smug after knocking them out of the following champions league.

Third Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:
    I start most of my games unemployed with most of the top european leagues running hence i quite often get interesting moves.

Top on was when i moved from lazio (who i'd won the CL for) to Roma because lazio wouldn't meet my wage demands lol. I felt especially smug after knocking them out of the following champions league. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ched = Judas

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

Top on was when i moved from lazio (who i'd won the CL for) to Roma because lazio wouldn't meet my wage demands lol. I felt especially smug after knocking them out of the following champions league. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ched = Judas
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've yet to do an arsenal to chelsea or a liverpool to everton, but on my current save i've just joined the red scum so it's possible!

Strangley the lazio fans didn't hate me when i moved....

woody1982

started at Sydney FC and won the preseason cup twice, won finals series 3 times, won the league 3 times and the Asian Champions League.
    also took the Cameroon Job on 24/2/2008 till 14/2/2010 got sack cause i didn't get out of the groups in the African nations
    Took over Senegal job 21/2/1010 till 11/7/2010 finished third in the world cup which i was pretty stoked at.
    Got offered the Leeds job on the 22/2/2010 got promoted from league one am currently 8th in the Championship with 10 games to go.
    I'm also manager of Uruguay

Amateur

From Queens Park to Liverpoool on 07

I tried to go back to Queens Park 2 seasons later but was turned down for a much crappier manager, boy clubs never forgive you for leaving them on this game. They were relegated from the SPL so

Amateur

Larisa in Greek League to Rangers.

After winning UEFA Cup with Rangers, AC Milan hired me.

Amateur
    You are my Rushden, My only Rushden, You make me happy, When skies are grey, You\'ll never notice, How much i love you, So please do\'t take my Rushden away. GO RUSHDEN.

fiorentina to real madrid. but as i had won 4 titles in a row and 2 champions league and real hadnt won anything for 3 years, it was probably a step down. but i needed a new challenge.

Part-Timer

Watford to Real Madrid :O

Amateur

Viborg to Valencia via Brondby and Borsussia Dortmund.

Amateur

Central Coast &gt; Boca Juniors &gt; Liverpool &gt; United.

In FM08 just got Staines from the BSS to the Premiership

Amateur

On 06, I started a game and bounced around a couple of Conference sides. Managed to get one promoted, I honestly forget who, and we were doing quite well in League Two before Blackburn approached me. I'm sure I've still got the save game somewhere, as I've a few of my old saved games for some reason.

Amateur

This also has to do what level you have yourself setup as when you start the game........eg semi professional, international player etc.

I can only see this topic IF you started the game as a sunday league player level and NOT as an international.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lil ole me:
    This also has to do what level you have yourself setup as when you start the game........eg semi professional, international player etc.

I can only see this topic IF you started the game as a sunday league player level and NOT as an international. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is very true. One time as an experiment, I started with international reputation but as manager of a Conference South team, and literally within a couple weeks of being there, a Premiership team contacted me with interest in me taking over their team.

Amateur

Castel di Sangro to Barcelona in the 12th season

tattywatter

Kettering Town to Sunderland in 20 seasons(via Hull, Portsmouth, Tottenham, Barcelona and Man Utd).
    Wherever I start and wherever I go I always come home to roost! Ha'way the lads!

Amateur

I'm currently the Saints, just got promoted after my first season, into the prem. I've been linked to the Man Utd job, but i'm not sure whether to apply or try to do ok this season with the saints and see what happens.

Just signed some quality players to strengthen my squad as well, plus Saganowski is a star!

Youth Team
    Wembley, Block 133, Row 23, Seat 296 - COME ON YOUR SPURRRRS!!!!

My career so far and biggest move is the last one:

Billericay BSS-L1 security (8 seasons)
    Burnley L1 relegation candidates-Championship (14 months)
    Red Bull New York- MLS Double champions in 1st season

Amateur

on fm07 i had a fabulous career which took me to some of the best cities in the world

New York Red Bulls
    Vasco da Gama
    Boca Juniors
    bordeaux
    Ajax
    Paris St Germain
    Chelsea
    AC Milan
    Barcelona

Not a bad trip around the world, i'm sure you'd agree

First Team Squad Member
    If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Man Utd--&gt;England--&gt;Brazil ---&gt; Portugal, then quite Utd and got the Bayern job a few months later.

Struggling with Portugal though. WC quali's , ive got to go in the playoffs against poland.

I tend to start a new game before I get too far along, but a couple of versions back I began as an unknown manager with Hartlepool and the Australian National Team and played through several seasons. I got Hartlepool promoted in my first season and qualified Australia for the World Cup. Second year I signed Ronaldo from Real Madrid on a free for Hartlepool(!) and achieved promotion to the Premiership. I finished 4th in the World Cup with Aus, knocking England out along the way, and straight after the tournament England offered me the National job, which I turned down preferring to stay with Australia, who I'd taken to a top-10 Fifa world ranking. The next season I narrowly avoided the drop with Hartlepool - on the last day of the season, despite a 3-0 loss to Arsenal - and the season after that I was challenging for a Champion's League position. I was 4th with about 8 games left when Tottenham, who were about 7th, offered me a job. I decided to move and ended up finishing 4th or 5th. Hartlepool, now under the guidance of the Man U Assistant Manager, finished 2nd. I stopped playing at that point and started a new game with Chesterfield.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Burscoughnian:
    Burscough &gt; West Ham &gt; Gladbach &gt; Monaco &gt; Leeds &gt; Internazionale

From humble Victoria Park to San Siro in 18 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well done!! burscough is my localist team on FM

Semi Pro

Íþróttabandalag to Valencia, via Santos, Spartak Varna, Monaco, PSV and Dortmund.

Never did get the Italian job I was after, but it was the most fun save I've had.

Part-timer

Werder Bremen to England National job.
    About as good as I have been.

Amateur

Scotland &gt; Kilmarnock &gt; Blackburn &gt; Liverpool &gt; Real Madrid &gt; Valencia in FM06. Finished 4th in world cup 2014 with Scotland.

Third Team

Redditch (BSN) &gt; Fulham (Champ)

Unfortunately, after a bad start to the next season in the premiership, I resigned, and went...

Fulham (Prem) &gt; Chester City (L2)

The very bottom of League 2, 24 points behind 23rd place.

Reserves

probably on 05 darmstadt (german regional division south) to Braga in the portuguese league, not a massive club but one of my most fondly remembered career stints, plus I switched teams mid season with braga in the relegation zone and ended up leading them to europe, at the beginning of the season with that mediocre german side you would have got long odds on that. plus on 07 I decided to have a rest from taking 2nd level teams to promotion in my first season and eventual league title (something I did with Ipswich, Verona and Liverpool, the 3 teams I had managed thus far) and decided to send small club up the leagues, so from liverpool I went to mansfield in the conf south, then got bored and bounced up to Chelsea.

Amateur

St. Pauli to ManU, although in 2012, ManU was 20th in Premiership in Februray, in real danger of getting relegated with the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Anderson, Nasri, Evra, Vidic, Hleb, Craig Gordon, Ustari all in the prime of their careers.

Was able to shoot them straight up to 7th by the end of the season. Dunno how AI managed to do so poorly with that team

Amateur

Man Utd to East Stirlingshire then to Falkirk then to Manchester City, then to Aberdeen then to Portsmouth, now with Rangers.

I believe that's how it went.

Amateur

Athlone Town (Ireland) &gt; Inter Milan &gt; Holland &gt; England &gt; Newcastle

Amateur

Spal (from italian C2 to serie A in six years) --&gt; Eintracht (Bundesliga, two years, 5th place) --&gt; Inter (italian serie A)

Amateur

On 07 rangers to barcelona after 3 league titles in a row. only lasted half a season cos the board found it unnacceptable that i was 4 points behind madrid.

Amateur

almagro (arg 2nd division) to dinamo kiev.. decided i hate playing in a league where only 2 league games a season matter and reloaded argentina

darrenkahan

Linfield (Northern Ireland) to manchester united...then to PSV, then to Spurs, then Bayern to Real Madrid, Back to United and finishing off my career with Chicago...Like to call myself a journeyman

Amateur

Numancia -&gt; Coventry -&gt; Tottenham

and

Piacenza -&gt; Aston Villa -&gt; Arsenal -&gt; Real Madrid

Just got Manchester United job!!!

Olympiakos -&gt; Manchester United

I'm loving FM07.

Amateur

I have two saved games, one with Arsenal and i started the manger with sunday league experience and are still with Arsenal in 2015 having excellent success in most competitions regular. My other saved game is in charge of Barrow in the Blue Square North division. I am still in charge of Barrow and are in 2012 and i have took them to the Championship division and are currently in 2nd spot with 11 games to go. My huge stadium of 13000 will be packed every week, i think i need a new stadium

Closed Thread