Steam - The reason I won't be buying FM again

I have been buying the series for the best part of 20 years, but Steam is awful. Firstly I grudge having to install software from a thrid party on my PC to run a game, but I could get over that if Steam wasn't so awful.

> Its unresponsive - I have a i7 processor, very high spec PC and steam is still clunky on boot up. If you exit it, sometimes it loads again immediately, sometimes it's buggy and takes forever.

> It does little unexplainable things - I appreciate not everyone (or even a majority) have these issues, but no one knows how to fix them. For example, I cannot take a print screen from Fm when I use steam. When I try, it just copies the creen 'behind' steam, so the one I exit to when I minimise. FM11 works fine (I have it loaded on the PC rather than Steam).

> The biggest issue for me is that the genuine customers and fans, who have followed the series since it's earliest days are now being treated like potential criminals and forced to have software they don't want.

I love Football manager (and before the split, championship manager). I don't like Steam, so unless an easier way is found to copy protect FM, I won't be buying FM13.

> The biggest issue for me is that the genuine customers and fans, who have followed the series since it's earliest days are now being treated like potential criminals and forced to have software they don't want.

So you don't buy anything in a shop that has thieve protection?

I agree with you about having to install software from a third party to run a game, but I have used Steam for the last couple of versions so I didn't have to use the DVD, & have had no real issues with it. In fact it is really good when patches are automatically downloaded. I hope you can sort out the issues you have, as like you I have played every version from the beginning, & it would be a shame if it ruins playing FM.

i7 2630 and no issues here.

Make sure your drivers are all up to date.

Steam runs like a dream on my old computer and my new computer.

If you don't like steam on bootup you can remove up from the startup processes. Google it.

No complaints about steam here.

Not if it involves clunky third party software, which causes problems no one can sort out. My drivers are up to date - Steam does work fine on many computers (it worked fine on my old, less capable pc for the brief time it was installed), but it seems to be slightly inconsistent. No one has come up with a good answer as to why steam isn't working well - especially the little niggles like print screen etc.

Surely there must be a more user friendly way to copy protect games?

Steam works just fine for me. I know it was fubar in the beginning. But thats several years ago.

I only have one issue with steam and that is that you have to use the latest patch of games, normally not a issue. But sometimes things can go horriby wrong in a patch. (speaking generally, not FM)

Like I have just said I have no real issues with Steam, but my concerns like others is the implication, just as you quaintly put it, that everyone who plays the game is a crook until proved otherwise. This is not just made against SI/Sega but all PC game sellers. The onus seems to be on the consumer to prove their innocence as they cannot be trusted.

I agree with what your saying, I dont like Steam too but hey you've go to live it i suppose

That's the point - we don't. If enough people don't buy the game and make it clear on forums like this that steam is the reson they will be forced to rethink. There must be another way of copy protecting the game which doesn't have such a negative impact on genuine customers?

for all those whining about steam its not that bad works fine with fm on my old clunky 9450. use it for plenty of other games and its never given me any grief.

MOST IMPORTANTLY if you look around the dodgy places there is still no illegal copies of fm12 available 3 days after the game released. an unheard of feat, many a year in the past the tealeaves had had copies before honest punters, and if steam reduces piracy and keeps Si making profits (or increased profits due to increased sales) then thats argument enough for me. I fully support Si in protecting their game using any means possible. and for all the bashers steam isnt the end of the world. and i feel the benefits of it far outweigh the niggles (example the auto patching of games the go anywhere availability of your games) i've personally made good use of this after hard drive failures etc install steam and leave your game collection to download overnight. or go make a cuppa if your on cable :)

for all those whining about steam its not that bad works fine with fm on my old clunky 9450. use it for plenty of other games and its never given me any grief.

MOST IMPORTANTLY if you look around the dodgy places there is still no illegal copies of fm12 available 3 days after the game released. an unheard of feat, many a year in the past the tealeaves had had copies before honest punters, and if steam reduces piracy and keeps Si making profits (or increased profits due to increased sales) then thats argument enough for me. I fully support Si in protecting their game using any means possible. and for all the bashers steam isnt the end of the world. and i feel the benefits of it far outweigh the niggles (example the auto patching of games the go anywhere availability of your games) i've personally made good use of this after hard drive failures etc install steam and leave your game collection to download overnight. or go make a cuppa if your on cable :)

That's good news for SI, but as a customer who has always paid for the game it is scant consolation. I want to carry on enjoying the game in the way I have previously, not be treated like a potential criminal and stuck with a piece of third part software I don't want or need.

That's the point - we don't. If enough people don't buy the game and make it clear on forums like this that steam is the reson they will be forced to rethink. There must be another way of copy protecting the game which doesn't have such a negative impact on genuine customers?

Whatever you say, Steam is a very good piece of software. Millions of gamers willingly use it to play games, and have been using it long before FM2012. You need to learn how to properly setup your computer and maintain it. Even my 2 year old netbook runs Steam without problems, which tells you just how little resources it requires.

Whatever you say, Steam is a very good piece of software. Millions of gamers willingly use it to play games, and have been using it long before FM2012. You need to learn how to properly setup your computer and maintain it. Even my 2 year old netbook runs Steam without problems, which tells you just how little resources it requires.

Your patronising attitude and stating your opiniong for fact means nothing. Steam works on my computer, albeit with niggles. No one can tell me how to correct these niggles, which didn't happen on my previous, less capable computer.

This discussion has been had ad nauseum, if the OP has problems with Steam performance on what sounds like a very good system then the Steam Help/forums are the place to find out if they can be resolved.

Whether or not Steam is the only option again when FM13 comes round is dependant on several factors, it's not a forgone conclusion because all options are always considered with cost/effect benefit for Sega/SI and users taken into consideration.

Archived