Local Boy hopes to do good.

Paggioram

Local Boy Hopes to do good - Overview and Career progression

Following the fun and enjoyment I have had in the last two FM's with my careers. They were both my Clough advntures but they have now come to a end so for FM12 I am starting a new adventure.

This time the journey is not going to start with chance but I am going to join the club most local to me in the Blue Square Premier and build my career from there. The team in question is Mansfield Town just about 8 miles from my house. The database and leagues I will start with are English leagues down to Blue Square Premier and Scotland do to Division 3. These will change through my career and I will be adding leagues and reducing leagues from time to time.

My Objectives are the same as before having to the best career I can and to win as much as I can in my career and obviously to show you all how I progress. So then off to my career.

[b][u]Season[/u][/b]      [b][u]Club[/u][/b]                   [b][u]League[/u]          [u]Final Lg Pos[/u][/b]         [b][u]Achievements
[/u][/b]
2011/12     Mansfield Town         Blue Sq Prem    12
2012/13     Mansfield Town         Blue Sq Prem    12
2013/14     Mansfield Town         Blue Sq Prem    2                    Promoted via Play offs
2014/15     Mansfield Town         nPower Lg 2     16                   Won JPT
2015/16     Mansfield Town         nPower Lg 2     4                    Promoted via Play offs
2016/17     Mansfield Town         nPower Lg 1     13                   Won JPT

[b][u]Trophies and Awards
[/u][/b]
2013/14     Blue Sq Premier Play Off Winner, Blue Sq Premier Manager of the Year
2014/15     Johnson Paint Trophy Winner
2015/16     nPower League 2 Play Off Winner
2016/17     Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winner

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 2011 / 2012 - Mansfield Town

Start of Season

Expectations

Blue Square Premier - Respectable League Position

FA Cup - First Round

FA Trophy - Fourth Round

Transfer Budget - £20,000

Wage Budget - £16,116 p/w

Actual Wage - £15,000 p/w

Media predicted League Pos: 11th

Manager Comments

Right then lets look at this season objectivly and clearly. I know if I want to get out of this division first time of asking I need to find a goal scorer and need to find one quickly. The other option is that I attempt to stabilze the club and look to strengthen and have a assault on the league in the second season. I have decided that I want Mansfield to bring fast and free flowing football to the blue square premier and with the right players we might cause a few shocks along the way.

I wish there was more I could comment on but at the moment I have no idea what is ahead of me.

So let the fun commence!

Pre Season

OK then first pre season and the friendlies did not go well but they were tough matches and the fitness will help.

Home vs Reserves Won 2-0

Home vs Walsall Lost 0-3

Home vs Raith Lost 0-6

Home vs Wolves Res Won 1-0

Home vs Blackpool Lost 1-2

Home vs Hartlepool Lost 2-3

Away vs Connah's Quay Drew 2-2

Transfers

In

Sam Wedgbury - Macclesfield - 20k

Christopher Jones - Derby - Loan

Steven Lozano-Calderon - Free Transfer

Brendon Hall - Free Transfer

David MacGregor - Free Transfer

Breaking news!

Mansfield Town sign former Ipswich Town striker Pablo Counago on a free transfer. The deal believed to be for just the one year is seen as a real coup for the Midlands team. When asked about the deal Mansfield Manager Joe Page responded "This is maybe the biggest signing in the clubs history and shows real ambition of the club and also the board. This is also something that Pablo deserves great credit for coming to join us here on a free transfer when there were other clubs that were intrested in his services".

So then onto the season.

August Update

Well then in August it was a mixed bag of results that has been a mix and has made me think that I might have one or two issues and that they are in the Goal keeping department and maybe even my defenders. In August we played 6 won 1 drew 3 lost 2. Goals for 9 Against 10 with a total of 6 points and finds us in 17th. This is 5 points off the playoffs and 10 points off the automatic promotion places.

Home vs Wrexham Drew 1-1

Scorer: Connor

Away vs Hayes and Yeading Won 2-1

Scorer: Og and Jones

Home vs Darlington Lost 1-2

Scorer: Counago

Away vs Fleetwood Lost 2-3

Scorer: Meikle (2)

Home vs Barrow Drew 2-2

Scorer: Connor and Counago

Away vs Luton Drew 1-1 (Was on TV)

Additional Transfers

In

Atli Gregersen - Free Transfer

Stern John - Free Transfer

Michael Mullen - Free Transfer

Manager Comments

Not much to comment on at the moment it was a very indifferent start to the season but we are playing some nice stuff and I do think that some of the players are still getting to know each other and how they play. I hope that in my next report it is that we have started to motor and put some wins together.

September

Well that was a much better month and a much more solid month for the Stags and something that everyone can be proud of. So for the five games in September it delivered a played 5 won 3 drew 1 lost 1 scored 11 conceeded 3. So finally I can see that the squad have started to bond and produce the results that we expect from them.

Home vs Forest Green Won 2-0

Scorers: Murray, Todd

Home vs Alfreton Won 5-0

Scorers: Green, McGregor, Stern John (3)

Please note Stern John came on as a 61st min sub

Away vs AFC Telford Lost 1-2

McGregor Sent off

Away vs Southport Won 2-0

Scorers: McMillan og, Sutton

Home vs Kettering Drew 1-1

Scorer: Miekle

So after September we now have the 3rd best form in the league which is surprising but in the league we are sitting in 14th which is a improvment and we are now 4 points off the playoffs and 9 points off automatic.

I have been impressed in this last month with the work of Counago and Stern John not scoring loads but there work rate is fantastic and both keep bringing others into play but my player of the month has been Captain Fantastic Adam Murray who I feel has been the catalist for the revival as he made is first start of the season against Forest Green after injury.

In the league Bath and league leaders with York, Gateshead, Fleetwood and Lincoln in the playoffs currently the teams that we all want to be. Hope for a good October that starts with a match against top of the table Bath and also features a game against Lincoln.

October

So here we are in October and not just the league but our first steps in the FA Cup in the Forth Qualifiying Round and a Trip to AFC Telford but more on that later. So back to the league and again I would call it another stable month but not to spectacular in the overall scheme of things but another step in the right direction I feel. With the record for the month being played 5 won 3 drew 0 lost 2 scored 6 conceeded 7 however during this month I am proud to say it did also contain 2 clean sheets in the league.

Away vs Bath Lost 0-2

Home vs Cambridge won 3-2

Scorers: Green (2), Counago

Away vs Newport County Lost 1-3

Scorer: Green

Home vs Lincoln won 1-0

Home vs Braintree won 1-0

Scorer: MacGregor

FA Cup

Away vs AFC Telford won 1-0

Finally I think Pablo Counago is finding his feet and his form in this league which is something I am really happy about and in the first round of the FA Cup we have a trip to either Eastleigh or Dorchester both of who we should go into the game in a positive frame of mind to attempt to make round 2.

Anyway back to the league and this solid month now finds us sitting 10th in the league but are now 6 points off the playoffs and still 9 off automatic however Newport County have taken the top spot and the leaders from September Bath are out of the playoffs spots now also. Also around England the other leagues are really hotting up. Liverpool are currently leading the Prem just ahead of Arsenal and Blackburn. Man Utd are 4th and Man City 14th.

In the Championship the leading two are Burnley and Barnsley that are leading the way. So as you can see the leagues are hotting up and I really do think that as long as we can keep ticking over then there is no doubt that the Stags can close the gap on the leaders as it is still early in the season.

November

With the cold harsh winter just around the corner and also the usual chaotic Christmas and New Year programme just around the corner another in my opinion another solid month in the league while we find our feet and also the arrival in the first round proper of the FA Cup and what my board wanted so that means I can tick off my first objective of the campaign by making it to the first round.

To many of you reading this my form is still not spectacular but for me it was about little small steps. This has been the same way that I have ventured previously. In November we played 6 in the league Won 3 Drew 1 Lost 2 we scored 10 conceeded 7.

Away vs Kidderminster Won 3-2

Scorers: Counago (2), MacGregor

Away vs Ebbsfleet Lost 0-1

Home vs Stockport Drew 1-1

Away vs Tamworth Won 2-0

Scorers: Counago, Green

Away vs York Lost 2-3

Scorers: Counago, MacGregor

Home vs Grimsby Won 2-0

Scorers: Green, Day (I love that scoring combination!)

FA Cup 1st Round

Well then here we go First Round and where the Board wanted us to be...

Away vs Eastleigh Won 3-1

Scorers: Howell, Green (2)

So then lets talk about the month but first of all to answer the question that was posted earlier nope Mancini is still the man in charge at Man City but anyway back to the biggest story in Football and the Mighty Stags.

We are now upto 8th in the league and we are 4 points off the play offs but are now 10 points adrift of leaders York. Finally though Counago has found his feet and is finding the goal quite frequently now scoring 13 in 25 with a average rating of 7.20. Also for me the standout at the moment is Matt Green who is keeping Stern John out of the team. Matt is on loan from Oxford and I am really hoping that we can sign him in the summer he has a goal ratio of 8 in 13 with a rating of 7.17.

So then in December we have round two of the FA Cup away to league 1 Stevenage but also the FA Trophy kicks off with a first round trip to Alfreton. This is going to be a very tough month with the two cup matches and 4 games in the league.

So here we go!

December

This for me is one of the most important months of a season. Why? Well for me this is the half way point and if you can have a good December and keep the momentum into January then you are well on your way. However my December was not great yes it did include a 2nd Round FA Cup tie and a FA Trophy match. However in the league we played 4 Won 1 Drew 1 Lost 2 scored 6 conceeded 7. Also on top of this Matt Green has gone back to Oxford and going into January we have no cash and are over a wage budget but more on this later.

Away vs Gateshead Drew 2-2

Scorers: Bell, Lozano-Calderon

Away vs Wrexham Lost 2-4

Scorers: Counago, Sutton

Homes vs Hayes and Yeading won 2-0

Scorers: Stern John, Counago

Away vs Darlington Lost 0-1

FA Trophy 1st Round

Away vs Alfreton Won 1-0

FA Cup 2nd Round

Away vs Stevenage Lost 1-5

OK positive for the month are that we are through to round 2 in the FA Trophy and also the scoring form of Pablo Counago however that is where the positives end for me. We are down to 10th and are 7 points off the play offs and 12 points off the automatic promotion. With the club having no money and no wage budget my January needs to start off with a clear out and then I need to bring in a top keeper from somewhere and bring in a little bit of quality but I am not sure if that will happen. I am so down after the progression we have made to be knocked back down like this as in the back of my mind we could have had a good December and January then we might be in touching distance of the play off spots. The only way I could be more disappointed is if McD's stop selling the Big Tasty or Breakfast Wrap.

Liverpool are now 8 points clear of Man Utd and 9 clear of Arsenal and poor old Man City are up to 12th they have however just before the end of the month parted company with Roberto Mancini and replaced him with Louis Van Gaal.

January

Woohoo Tranfer silly season is open and loads of Stags players are up for grabs at rock bottom prices and in the window none of them left the club so :applause:well done lads thanks for your efforts my god even a move for one of my players to League 1 Notts County fell through because of wage demands. He is only on £450 per week at Mansfield.

So then more on Transfers a little later after the disaster that was December what did the New Year bring well the simple answer is more of the same as I predicted and a shock Round 2 exit from the FA Trophy. In the league there were 3 matches with a win, a draw and a loss.

Home vs Fleetwood Drew 1-1

Scorer: Meikle

Away vs Barrow Won 2-1

Scorers: Counago (2)

Away vs Forest Green Lost 0-3

FA Trophy - 2nd Round

Away vs Tamworth Lost 1-2

Scorer: Briscoe

This now sees us in 11th and now a massive ten points off the playoffs 17 off automatic on a positive note we are 20 points clear of the relegation zone but things have got to pick up again oh please. Another positive is Pablo Counago is 6th top scorer in the league.

Transfer News

Out - None

In - Lee Burge (GK) - Loan from Coventry

In - Alex Witham (M) - Loan from Derby

In - Ryan Connolly (AML) - Loan from Derby

In - Ian Lawlor (GK) - Loan from Man City

So lets see what Feb brings will it be Fab or Drab? Please feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

February

Well OK I was very critical of my team during December and January but this month the team have done us proud and have come to life and look like a real team again and are fighting for each other and had a good record this month. The only real negative is that Pablo Counago has picked up a injury and in turn will be out for 6 months. Our record for the month was played 6 Won 3 Drew 2 Lost 1 Scored 14 conceeded 12.

Away vs Alfreton Drew 3-3

Scorers: Counago (2), Lowson og

Home vs Southport Won 2-1

Scorers: Connolly, MacGregor

Away vs Kettering Won 4-3

Scorers: Briscoe, Connolly (2), MacGregor

Home vs Luton Drew 2-2

Scorers: Howell, Connolly

Home vs Bath Lost 1-2

Home vs AFC Telford Won 2-1

Scorers: Connor, Witham

These results have also been made so much positive by the fantasic football that we have been playing. Also the outstanding performances of Ryan Connolly on the wing has been amazing. We now sit 10th and are 6 points off the playoffs but 18 points behind the automatic spots. I think now any hope of a automatic are now dead but I need to keep this form to keep fighting for a play off spot which is not dead yet.

This is now a real battle that is on my hands but me and the boys are up for one more big fight. There are 11 games left and each one really is a cup final so lets go at it.

Monthly Award

Ryan Connolly - Young Player of the Month for Feb

March - April

I have decided to do this as a two month update because March was that bad. Over the two months we have played 11 matches Won 3 Drew 3 Lost 5.

So the second half of the season. There is nothing I want to say as I feel really let down but next season there are going to be massive changes.

Away vs Cambridge Lost 1-3

Scorer: Stern John

Home vs Newport Won 2-1

Scorers: Stern John, Connor

Away vs Lincoln Lost 1-2

Home vs Ebbsfleet Lost 1-2

Away vs Braintree Drew 0-0

Away vs Stockport Lost 0-1

Home vs Kidderminster Drew 1-1

Scorer: Sharpe og

Home vs Tamworth Won 1-0

Home vs York Won 1-0

Scorer: Witham

Away vs Grimsby Lost 0-2

Home vs Gateshead Drew 0-0

There is nothing I want to say abouth these two months and I will discuss my final league position during my end of season review.

Season 2011 / 2012 - Manfield Town

End of Season review

This was a season that really no fan should have expected miracles and in the first half of the season the steady if not spectacular progress and improvment was something that I found pleasing. However the second half of the season was nothing short of a disgrace. However the second half of the season did tell me alot about my team and where we needed to improve come the new season if we want to progress.

So I have decided that 9 players would not have their contracts renewed and that we have agreed pre contracts with 5 players. However this is not the end of the changes at the club as I will be getting rid of my assistant manager and a couple of coaches and next season I will be changing my backroom team.

Final League pos: 12th

Record: P: 46 W: 18 D: 12 L: 16 For: 67 Agg: 63 Diff +4 Pts: 66

Top Scorer: Pablo Counago (20)

FA Cup: 2nd Round

FA Trophy: 2nd Round

Fans Player of the Year: Pablo Counago

Managers Player of the Year: Pablo Counago

A huge positive is that Pablo Counago has signed a new deal and has a automatic renewal built in but I really thing next season will be better as the squad will be younger, more determined and also work harder and a decent keeper even if it kills me.

Looking at the leagues in general Liverpool became champions of England with Peter Crouch as top scorer Man City took the FA Cup and League Cup.

Barcelona took the Champions League and SLB took the UEFA Cup.

Mansfield Players released

Alan Marriott, Andy Todd, Stern John, Martin Riley, Rhys Day, Joe Kendrick, Ritchie Sutton, Shane Redmond and Luke O'Neill.

So then lets start the rebirth of this club and start the rebuild.

Season 2012 / 2013 - Mansfield Town

Start of Season

Expectations

FA Cup - First Round

FA Trophy - Fourth Round

Transfer Budget - £0

Wage Budget - £13,816 p/w

Actual Wage - £13,067 p/w

Odds: 20/1

Players signed on Pre Contract

Connor Rennie (M) - Dundee

Darren Gribben (S) - Berwick

Grant Adam (GK) - Glasgow Rangers

Kane Richards (S) -Derby

Mats Morch (GK) - Derby

Manager Thoughts

Right then it is a new season and I am rebuilding this squad to a hungry new determined squad. Already I have bought in two new keepers who should be better than what we had last season and I feel positive that we will be better than last year.

Again I want it to be about nice football that fans will enjoy watching. I have been given a new deal and again I really think we push on and be better than last season. So here we go.

Pre-Season

A much better pre-season. I am a very happy with the progress and dedication the team showed. This was a joy and a pleasure at times but we looked brilliant at the back also even without MacGregor who got injured early on in Pre-Season. Just to talk about Tom Kitchen he is someone who arrived in my youth team this season and he is a 16 year old who already has all the signs of being better than Mansfield.

Everton Reserves (H) Drew 1-1

Scorer: Naylor

Liverpool Reserves (H) Lost 2-3

Tour of Wales

Airbus Won 1-0

Scorer: Wedgbury

Connah's Quay Drew 1-1

Welshpool Drew 0-0

Really happy and now really positive for the coming season. However I did promise some more signings so here we go.

Player In

Kristian Kostrna (DR) - Free

Leon Knight (S) - Free

Liam Irwin (M) - Free

Courtney Cameron (DL/ML) - Free

George King (D) - Free

Brett Lucas (MC) - Loan from Doncaster

This summer however has seen the departure of no less than 39 players out. So lets see what they are like in competitive matches.

August

That was a good solid month and you are looking at a happy manager so far. This was great to see except for away from home we could have been better but to conceed a equaliser in injury time was a little annoying but all in all it was a better start to the season. However what a difference a season makes last season I had 6 points and down in 16th but this season I have 7 points and am in 10th and only 2 points off the play offs and 5 points off York who are top.

Luton (H) Won 1-0

York (A) Lost 1-3

Colwyn Bay (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: Meikle, Knight

Grimsby (A) Drew 3-3

Scorers: Counago (2), Rennie

Really happy with the home form not even conceeded a goal and that is something to be happy about the only issue that I had was that the Grimsby game if we had not conceeded in injury time we would have been level on points with 3rd.

So lets see what September brings us.

September

After a quite solid August what I really wanted was a nice solid September and to be fair to the boys thats what we got. We had a slow start to the month an we sat there looking at what was going on and decided that a slight change in my formation and the way that we were playing and bang things have suddenly come to life. Additional to how things are going Pablo Counago is a man possesed currently he is the leagues top scorer on 12 and is the top average rated player on 8.05 the boy is on fire also he has 6 assists. Also the stand out man is new signing Courtney Cameron who has 7 assists. I really think finally things are coming together and this is a team.

Macclesfield (H) Lost 2-3

Scorers: Counago, Meikle

Droylsden (A) Won 6-0

Scorers: Knight (2), Counago (3), Meikle

Lincoln (H) Drew 2-2

Wrexham (A) Lost 0-2

Havent and Waterlooville (A) Won 3-0

Scorers: Miekle, Knight, Gribben

Bath (H) Won 4-0

Scorers: Counago (2), Boetang (2)

Kidderminster (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Knight, Bolland, Lewis og

Blue Sq. Premier Player of the Month: Pablo Counago

Blue Sq. Premier Young Player of the Month: Courtney Cameron

So then after a solid month we are up to 7th and only 2 points off the play offs and 6 points off the automatic promotion place. The brilliant result against second place Kidderminster was something that I am really pleased with.

Obviously I can't get carried away with things just yet but this is alot more positive than it was last season. I am really really happy that I have done the right thing by ripping this team apart and starting again it is all starting to come into place now also in this month I have recruited former Arsenal youngster Derek Boetang and he is settling well at centre back. So lets see if this is just a blip or if we can push on.

October

In a month that really could have gone one of two ways I think we had a OK sort of month that has kept us in the promotion picture as we start in to the months that became my downfall last season. Also October saw us venture into my favourite cup competion in the world and that is the FA Cup and the Fourth Qualification round. However disaster did strike early in the month with both Leon Knight and Pablo Counago getting injured in the same match and both out for around two months this did make me fear for what was ahead.

Salisbury (A) Won 3-2

Scorers: Knight (2), Cameron

Kettering (H) Won 1-0

Darlington (A) Lost 1-4

Ebbsfleet (H) Drew 1-1

Scorer: Gribben (Goal of the month winner)

FA Cup - 4th Qual Round

Trafford (H) Won 1-0

Scorer: Cameron

Once I lost the two strikers I really did see that we strugged in front of goal and it does mean that November is going to be a real scrap to get a goal and the hang on but at the end of this month we are sitting 7th and 3 points off the playoffs and 7 points off of the top spot and automatic promotion.

I am happy and just hope that we can continue this kind of form into the next few months to last us till Knight and Counago are fit. In the first round of the FA Cup we are Home to Bath.

Season 2012 / 2013 - Mansfield

November

I could not have asked for a worse month than we just had but I was never destroyed. We were always in the challenge but results did not go our way. It was the month that I really did not want to see happen but there were a large number of positives.

Gateshead (A) Lost 0-1

Barrow (A) Drew 1-1

Stockport (H) Won 2-1

Scorers: Counago, Boateng

Cambridge (H) Lost 1-2

AFC Telford (A) Lost 0-1

FA Cup - 1st Round

Bath (H) Lost 0-1

So now we are down to 13th in the league and 7 points off the playoffs. This has been difficult and challenging month but we are still in touch so lets see what happens next.

Season 2012 / 2013 - Mansfield

December

After the disaster I was looking for a better and much more solid December. As I said last season I find December and January the most important months of the season and they were the death of me last season as you will all remember so what happened this season. So back to December and we only had one defeat and that is something to be proud about and gives us something to really build on going into the New Year.

Crewe (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: MacGregor, Naylor

Braintree (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: Rennie, Cameron

Forest Green (A) Lost 1-3

Scorer: Rennie

Luton (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Meikle, Rennie

Colwyn Bay (A) Won 5-1

Scorers: Wedgbury, Counago, Cameron (2), MacGregor

FA Trophy - 1st Round

Droylsden (H) Won 5-1

Scorers: Cameron (3), Meikle, Gribben

Blue Sq Prem Player of the Month: Courtney Cameron

Blue Sq Prem Young Player of the Month: Connor Rennie

I already know for a fact that I will not be spending any money in the January transfer window due to the lack of funds but I still think we are good enough to still push on for the remainder of this season. We are sitting 12th and 9 points off the playoffs but I really do think that we can move on. So lets see whats next for us.

Season 2012 / 2013 Mansfield

January

After a strong December I really needed to follow that up with a strong January. I already knew there was very little that I could do in the transfer window but I thought there might be at least one player in a position that I bring in as I am a little concerned at the moment as the squad is that small what will happen when I get injuries, tirdness and suspensions it is bound to undue all of our hard work.

January Transfer in

Jari Litmanen - Free Transfer (yes that Jari Litmanen not a regen with the same name)

Grimsby (H) Won 2-1

Scorers: Rennie, Counago

Macclesfield (A) Lost 1-2

York (H) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Cameron, Meikle

Droylsden (H) Won 3-0

Scorers: Counago (2), Boeteng

Lincoln (A) Won 2-1

Scorers: Rennie, Counago

FA Trophy - 2nd Round

York (H) Won 3-0

Scorers: Cameron, Litmanen, Irwin

Again really pleased with how we have done an also the fact that we have progressed in the FA Trophy but as far as the league goes we are sitting 12th and still 7 points off the play offs but our form is good so you never know what will happen right then lets move on.

February

OK then my worst fears have started to appear as injuries and the fact that we are struggling with fitness has struck and this has been a month that we do not need currently as we attempt to turn our form into a promotion push. These are the kind of seasons that you know could happen but you hope and pray and no where to be found. These are the months when I sit here and think why do I put myself through all this and then I remember that I like a challenge and I know somehow I will turn this club into a force.

Wrexham (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Lazano-Calderon, Maxwell og, Counago

As you can see the month started well and I thought that the January form was going to follow us through however this is the highlight of the month.

Bath (A) Drew 3-3

Scorers: Brown og (2), Richards

Again at this point still not concerned.

Havent and Waterlooville (H) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Knight

Kidderminster (A) Lost 1-3

Salisbury (H) Won 3-0

Scorers: Counago, Lozano-Calderon (2)

FA Trophy 3rd Round

Southport (A) Lost 0-3

OK there were two big wins and a draw so 7 points out of the month but a loss in the cup to a team in a lower league and the way people are dropping is giving me serious concern but even with that concern we have only dropped to 13th and am still 7 points adrift is luck with us is it our season!

The other concern that I have is that the club is just dumping money every month and there is nothing left for me to spend and I am worried that come the summer if we are not promoted then my already small squad will need to get smaller as my wage budget drops again.

March

So the inconsistant form has continued as the season runs to a close. I just do not have the depth of squad needed to cover for fitness and injuries. Despite all the positives we just could not carry on the form that saw us draw some of these games instead of lose them so it has left us knowing full well that after this month I think that it is another season in the Blue Square Premier with no money. I decided right at the start of the month to go out and bring in a couple of loan signings to help the squad.

Players in on loan

Ollie Banks - Rotherham

Greg Pearson - Burton

Kettering (A) Lost 1-3

Scorer: Lozano-Calderon

Darlington (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: Rennie, Richards

Ebbsfleet (A) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Litmanen

Gateshead (H) Won 2-1

Scorers: Pearson, Richards

Stockport (A) Lost 1-3

Scorer: Banks

Barrow (H) Won 4-1

Scorers: Boateng, Pearson og, Lozano-Calderon, Counago.

So I did decide that this is the end of our campaign in my opinion as we are now 13th and 10 points adrift of the play offs now. So then lets get April over with and start looking at what is going to be ahead of me for next season.

April

Well this is just the kick in the teeth I never saw coming a near perfect month. The form we showed was exceptionally pleasing so I finish a happy manager for the month. However I am frustrated that we could not show this form earlier in the season. I can see what I need to do to have another stab at it next season but I am not sure that I will have the resources. However this month has seen the arrival of a 16 year old striker who could be a striking sensation and is currently learning from Pablo Counago. So remember the name Steve Binnion he will be a player next season.

Cambridge (A) Drew 2-2

Scorers: Counago, Naylor

AFC Telford (H) Drew 0-0

Crewe (H) Won 3-2

Scorers: Pearson, Naylor, Meikle

Braintree (A) Won 3-2

Scorers: Pearson, Cameron, Banks

Forest Green (H) Won 6-0

Scorers: Pearson, Meikle (3), Binnion (2)

So this brings to close another season and watch out for the end of season review for the final league standings.

End of Season

So here ends another season for the Stags and yet again a season that did start so well ended in tears as we do not have the squad depth to see it through to the end. Also it is the end of a era with the announcment that Jari Litmanen has decided to retire from Professional football and move into coaching just not with Mansfield however it is still amazing to know that the Mansfield fans got to see one of the worlds finest players strut their stuff at Field Mill in the yellow and Blue.

So now we need to get ourselves a nice break and start again next season and hopefully next season will be the arrival of the youngsters.

Final League pos: 12th (again)

Record: P: 46 W: 22 D: 10 L: 14 For: 95 Agg: 66 Diff +29 Pts: 76

Top Scorer: Pablo Counago (27)

FA Cup: 1st Round

FA Trophy: 3rd Round

Fans Player of the Year: Pablo Counago

Managers Player of the Year: Courtney Cameron

Blue Square Prem Player of the year: Pablo Counago

Ok with Counago getting fans player of the year and also the leagues player of the year for me me the key man was Cameron as our season really took a tumble once he got injured and was out for quite a while and hopefully keep him fit next season and see the results but to be fair his young understudy also shone but not as much so special mention to Steven Lozano-Calderon. Also Pablo Counago has agreed a new one year extension with the club but also I only have next season left on my contract so if I am going to sign a new deal I want more improvment.

Elsewhere in the country Man Utd took the Premier League title with Javier Hernandez as top scorer with 19. Chelsea took the FA Cup and Arsenal taking the League Cup also a shock when Eddie Howe of Burnley taking the Manager of the year Inter took the European Cup and Man City took the UEFA Cup.

Season 2013/2014 Mansfield

Start of Season

Expectations

FA Cup - First Round

FA Trophy - Fourth Round

Transfer Budget - £0

Wage Budget - £10,741 p/w

Actual Wage - £12,949 p/w

Odds: 20/1

Manager Thoughts

For a squad that is already so small and there is no movement available to me as first of all I need to lower my wage budget and then there is no depth but that is something I need to worry about later. This is the season of loans and youngsters coming through the ranks. I refuse to give up that we can't get out of this league because I really think we can but this is going to be some real challenge but I am looking forward to it as it is the final year of my contract.

Season 2013/2014 Mansfield

Pre Season

OK then another Pre Season and yet again it is getting ready for another season in the Blue Square Premier. Ok then there was some transfer movement with the departure of Ryan Brunt, George King and Paul Bolland.

Players in

Greg Pearson - Burton - On Loan

Nacho Huertas - Liverpool - On Loan

Jack Barlow - Hull - On Loan

Alex Lacey - Free Transfer.

We have had a OK Pre season with a few matches against some money spinning matches.

Morecambe (H) Lost 1-3

Scorer: Binnion

Derby (H) Lost 1-4

Scorer: Pearson

Stamford (H) Won 4-0

Scorers: Binnion, Pearson, Barlow, Lozano-Calderon

Airbus (H) Won 4-1

Scorers: Binnion, Counago (2), Gealy og

Everton Reserves (H) Won 3-2

Scorers: Boateng, Binnion, Meikle

I am happy but I was happy last pre season and things collapsed so here we go back to war and third attack at this league.

Season 2013 / 2014 Mansfield

August

So the new season has begun and I am looking forward to it. No I really am.

We have managed a good solid start to the season for me we looked good and in the matches that we lost they were close matches and I can't really be to upset with what I have seen.

Forest Green (H) Lost 0-1

Kettering (A) Won 3-1

Scorers: Counago, Pipe og, Meikle

Stockport (H) Lost 1-3

Truro (A) Won 3-0

Scorers: Boateng, Huertas, Counago

Macclesfield (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Counago, Lozano-Calderon, MacGregor

This for me was a good start like always I think this might be our season but for now we are 7th and 2 points off the play offs. Again good start for Counago and that is something to be happy about.

September

After a OK start to the season for the first month this was followed up with what I class as another decent month with 6 matches being played and 4 wins and 2 losses.

I also decided to dip my toes into the loan market and the arrival of two loan players on 3 month loan to help the team. I just decided that I needed that little bit more quality in the side to hopefully help us move on in the league. This saw the arrival of Hector Bellerin from Arsenal and Darren McQueen from Spurs.

Darlington (A) Lost 0-2

AFC Telford (H) Won 4-3

Scorers: Counago (4)

Dartford (A) Won 3-0

Scorers: Rennie, Lozano-Calderon, Counago

Aldershot (A) Lost 0-2

Luton (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Hawkins, Rennie, Bellerin

Kidderminster (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Counago, Bellerin, Lamb og

So after this month it has left us sitting 7th but on level points with the team in 5th and in the play offs. This is by far some of the best form we have shown in the league to date and that is something that makes me happy however my back line is not strong enough and I just know with the way that things go if I pick up any knocks then we will be in trouble.

Pablo Counago also picks up the Mansfield Town record for the most goals in a season with his 4 against AFC Telford.

October

Another solid month for the Stags in October as this keeps the good run going. We had 5 matches and won 4 and lost 1 and that is something that we have never shown as form so now we just need to keep this going for the remainder of the season but again I am not stupid enough to think we will not have a nightmare month or two as it is the story of my Mansfield career.

Wrexham (A) Won 3-2

Scorers: Naylor, Bellerin, Counago

Tamworth (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Naylor, Bellerin, Pearson

Bath (A) Lost 0-1

Cambridge (H) Won 3-1

Scorers: Kostrna, Counago (2)

Barrow (H) Won 4-2

Scorers: Rennie (2), Counago (2)

Joe Page named Blue Square Manager of the Month

Hector Bellerin named Young Player of the Month

Again I am happy with this progress as this finds us now sitting in the play offs in 4th and 5 points off the top spot. We just need to keep this going and we just need to push on from here. However I am still concerned by our defence and I am really worried that it will be our down fall in the end.

November

So here we go into deepest darkest November and also the fact that the FA Cup is upon us but we will look at that a little bit later. I am happy again with another quite solid month for us and a couple of clean sheets but to be fair there is still concerns that the defence is still not strong enough and I really have concerns that I have no strength in depth as the team begins to get tired as games are coming thick and fast.

In the league however played 5 won 2 drew 2 lost 1 so 8 points won and that is something that still seems quite stable and we are ticking over nice.

Braintree (A) Won 2-0

Scorers: Huertas, Bellerin

Grimsby (A) Drew 3-3

Scorers: Lozano-Calderon, Bellerin, Naylor

Altringham (H) Won 2-1

Scorers: Kostrna, Bellerin

AFC Wimbledon (A) Drew 0-0

Lincoln (H) Lost 2-3

Scorers: Pearson, Toral

Tom Naylor Player of the month

FA Cup

4th Qual Round

Stocksbridge (H) Won 3-0

Scorers: Binnion (2), Rennie

1st Round

Dagenham and Redbridge (H) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Naylor

So even though the FA Cup run is over I have no issue with that as it allows us to move on and still attempt to get promotion. So far in the league we are 4th and sitting in the playoffs but 10 pts off the top spot. I am still worried as I have said before but I still really hope that we can have a good run and just force the right results to keep us up there and challenging.

December

The wobble has landed and so has the FA Trophy.

I did predict that this was going to hit and it has hit. So I really want to get through December as quick as I can as I am starting to get very down with this performance of the month for December as I thought we might be a little better even if we were struggling to find so form I really thought we would still put up more of a fight but no.

Ebbsfleet (A) Lost 0-1

Forest Green (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: Counago, McQueen

Stockport (A) Lost 0-4

Kettering (A) Lost 0-2

FA Trophy

1st Round

Gateshead (H) Won 3-0

Scorers: Meikle (2), Huertas

I really do not have much to add as the above explains it all. Yes we are still in the FA Trophy and the league is down to 8th and 4 pts off the play offs.

January

Right then the word of the month has to be bounceback. This is the month that we need to take what happened in December and laugh at it and come out laughing and move on. This month I really do not care if we win them all one nil and the ball just hits the arse of my players and bounces into the goal. For this month we have 4 league games and a FA Trophy game and it was simple what I said to my players and that was get back in touch and fight for it.

And you know what?.....

They did!....

Played 4 Won 3 Drew 1

Macclesfield (A) Drew 0-0

Gateshead (A) Won 2-1

Scorers: Robinson, Barlow

AFC Telford (A) Won 4-1

Scorers: Barlow, Huertas, Toral (2)

Truro (H) Won 2-0

Scorers: Meikle, Tootle

Daniel Boateng Young Player of the Month

Joe Page Blue Square Premier Manager of the Month

FA Trophy

2nd Round

Alfreton (A) Won 2-1

What has seriously pleased me is all of my fixtures this month except for one were away from home so credit to them. So after this month we are up to 6th but level on points with the last play off spot so the team did what I wanted and that was back in touch so good for them.

Obviously it is January and everyone wants to know what did I do in the transfer market well simple I wanted wages so it saw the release of Leon Knight and Matt Bell.

In turn it saw the arrival of Herri Robinson on a free transfer and also the loan arrival of Ian Tootle from Bury.

So lets carry on.

February

OK then what to say about this month what I should be saying is that we are pushing on and going for the promotion push but just like always I get my hopes up and we just shoot ourselves in the foot and hit the self destruct button. It is months like this when I really say it must be time for me to move on. I think unless something happens I will see out this contract and move on and start again elsewhere however I am not a man that gives up and walks away from a challenge but I am starting to think that this club is destined to always be a mid table team.

Dartford (H) Drew 0-0

Darlington (H) Lost 1-4

Scorer: Boateng

Luton (A) Lost 0-1

Aldershot (H) Drew 1-1

Scorer: Kitchen

Kidderminster (A) Won 2-1

Scorers: Pearson (2)

Wrexham (H) Drew 1-1

FA Trophy

3rd Round

Darlington (A) Lost 1-2

Scorer: Tootle

Right then here we go again lets pick myself up for the good of the team and the town this sees us sitting 9th and 4 points off the play offs.

Not much more to say but onto March we go.

March

This inconsistant form that we have shown since my first day at this club is something that is really concerning me after the poor December, Amazing January and then poor February then I don't know what to expect but I know for a fact that I am going to rotate my squad but we do not have the strengh in depth to maybe push on with the club.

So then here we go and onto March.

The big positive in Feb was that the month finished with a win and a draw so I do hope that we have some confidence to maybe bounce off this.

Tamworth (A) Won 3-1

Scorers: Naylor, Tootle, Binnion

Bath (H) Won 1-0

Cambridge (A) Drew 0-0

Braintree (H) Won 4-3

Scorers: Binnion (2), Pearson, Robinson

Barrow (A) Won 3-0

Scorers: Pearson (3)

Grimsby (H) Drew 1-1

Daniel Boateng Young player of the month

Joe Page Blue Sq Premier Manager of the Month

This was brilliant and I mean brilliant we are now unbeaten in 8 games so yeah I am a happy boy.

We are now up to 5th and back in the playoffs but congrats to Luton on winning the championship and promotion. So this was the bounce we needed so off to April and the final push.

April

So here we go the final push and it is in our hands. This is the closest we have been to a posible promotion push so onto this now and as we say currently eight games unbeaten.

Altringham (A) Won 2-0

Scorers: Naylor, Counago

AFC Wimbledon (H) Drew 1-1

Lincoln (A) Won 2-1

Scorers: Meikle, Counago

Ebbsfleet (H) Won 1-0

Gateshead (H) Won 1-0

Joe Page Blue Sq Premier Manager of the Month

AND WE HAVE DONE IT!!!

And not only done it but we finish the season in 2nd but 10 points off Luton. We are now 13 games unbeaten and in the play offs we have got Grimsby.

So far this season the record against Grimsby is:

Away - Drew 3-3

Home - Drew 1-1

So looking at this I would say that we have been constant. So then watch out for the Play off Special Report!

Archived