+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: From Young Men to World Beaters

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ceirdiff View Post
    At the start of the game is potential or ability more important? Managing Bala almost every player appears to have 4 or 5 * potential, so how can I tell them apart? Thanks

You're career is going awesome, how are the other clubs doing in the Europa cup?
    If you can, get them in on trial and take a look at them. Other than that it can just be luck!

The other clubs are usually poor in the Europa League, hopefully that will change sometime soon.

Reserves
    I try to avoid saftey winks. If you're too dumb to get sarcasm then I hope you do feel insulted.

Quote Originally Posted by dafuge View Post
    If you can, get them in on trial and take a look at them. Other than that it can just be luck!

The other clubs are usually poor in the Europa League, hopefully that will change sometime soon.
    Too add to what daf said you can also look at scout reports and they will say what league a player has potential for and how good they would be in that league eg. decent, good, leading ect. if you are managing Bala I wouldnt sign anyone who your scout doesnt think has the potential to be a leading welsh premier league player. You can also look at a players key attributes for his position.

Amateur

Thanks for the advice daf, although I'm not sure I'll playing at the same standard as you for ages yet ;)

Amateur

I'd also add that CA is important too. Daf has been helping me with this, and from what I understand, you'd want the player's CA to be good enough so that he can get into your team. If not, he won't advance to his potential.

This is something I've found to be very true since I started using his scouting technique. I signed a player with CA 2.5, who was good enough to be used for squad rotation. In just over a year, he's now a 4* rated player. Conversely, I signed s 2* CA player who wasn't really good enough to get first team exposure and as such he's not improved. I think first team football is the biggest contributory to development and training less so.

World Cup Winner

End of an Era

As it stand he has scored exactly 900 goals for the club. Legend.

Amateur

Planning on hiring him as back room staff? (I seem to remember you doing that to several players in your old threads)

World Cup Winner

I've been trying to persuade him to become an assistant (he wanted to go into management). He doesn't look too great though

World Cup Winner

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2044/45

The youth players are starting to come through, so I'm looking to bring them into the first team at some point.

League Table

A few more draws than usual, but still unbeaten.

Domestic Cups - just like last season, we lost one cup final to Glentoran. I think it is about time I took the cups less seriously, once I've got a full squad of local players together I'll give them the cup games.

UEFA Super Cup - an easy win.

FIFA Club World Cup - another easy win.

UEFA Champions League - things were looking great after we came back against PSG, but we blew it by losing our discipline in the second leg against Man City.

Glentoran in Europe - it may have been lucky, but this is exactly the sort of thing I want to see.

Linfield in Europe - they were unlucky in the playoffs, but at least they managed to get out of their Europa League group.

Squad - the squad is huge at the moment as I was trying out a few youngsters. I'll be trimming it down soon.

Reserve Squad - these are the locally produced players, there's only one star in there but the size of the squad is growing.

Transfers - far too much action for one transfer window, but I've been replacing the older players.

Key Player Profiles:

Flávio - our top scorer again, but I still think we could more from someone else.

Fábio - brought in last season to fill a gap, he's a had a decent year.

Hiltinho - great stuff from the winger.

Steven Lennon - described as a wonderkid, he's the star of my youth setup.

Lisandro - Juric missed a lot of the season through injury, Lisandro took his place easily.

Career Overview
    Code:
    Season    League                   Position    Achievements
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2012/13   Championship Two         1st         Championship Two, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
    2013/14   Championship One         1st         Championship One, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
    2014/15   Carling Premiership      2nd         Irish Cup winners
    2015/16   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
    2016/17   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2017/18   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League and Setanta Cup winners
    2018/19   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, League and Setanta Cup winners
    2019/20   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
    2020/21   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and League Cup winners
    2021/22   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2022/23   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2023/24   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2024/25   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish and Setanta Cup winners, Europa League finalists
    2025/26   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2026/27   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2027/28   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2028/29   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    2029/30   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2030/31   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    2031/32   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2032/33   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2033/34   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2034/35   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2035/36   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners, Champions League finalists
    2036/37   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Europa League winners
    2037/38   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    2038/39   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2039/40   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2040/41   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
    2041/42   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    2042/43   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2043/44   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, CWC and Champions League winners
    2044/45   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
    Next Season

There's still work to be done in the transfer market in replacing the older players and I may have another clearout to get that done. Missing out on the Champions League was a disaster, so we need to try and win that back.

World Cup Winner

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 11th in European competitions (3 stars) - no change
    Bourneview - 1st in UEFA coefficients - no change
    Northern Ireland - 9th in UEFA coefficients - no change
    Northern Ireland - 78th in FIFA rankings - up 37

Glentoran - 25th in UEFA coefficients - up 6
    Linfield - 44th in UEFA coefficients - down 3

Youth Team

Another decent season, good to see your youths getting into the national team, looks like its starting to make a difference too.

Great season from Glentoran.

Amateur

Is lennon the best in the northern Ireland squad ?

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by buzz2k7 View Post
    Is lennon the best in the northern Ireland squad ?
    In terms of value he is, but there's a few players who my scouts think are better than Lennon. Give it a few years though and I'll sure he will be their top player.

Amateur

how are the other teams doing in the europa cup?

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MadMcMan View Post
    how are the other teams doing in the europa cup?
    Linfield beat Parma to get to the group stage (no Champions League qualifiers since we didn't win it)
    Ballymena lost to Anji in their first qualifier
    Cliftonville beat a team from Latvia then lost badly to Schalke in the qualifiers
    Dungannon beat a team from Estonia then lost to St Gallen of Switzerland in the qualifiers

Amateur

You really need smaller clubs to qualify for Europa League. I had a look and it seems that coefficient of around 30 is needed (depends on who qualifies) to be seeded in fourth qualifying round for EL. How far are Ballymena, Dungannon and Cliftonville from that figure?

World Cup Winner

UEFA Coefficients

As you can see, there is a big gap between the top three and the rest. This is what is holding NI back at the moment.

Amateur

Not even near 30. They need either surprise win in final round, or tycoon owners.

Amateur

How have Athletic Bilbao progressed in the game? Is that left back you bought off them anygood?

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sears View Post
    How have Athletic Bilbao progressed in the game? Is that left back you bought off them anygood?
    Mostly mid table finishes, nothing else of note. The left back I bought from them is still just 17, so he has a few years before he's making the headlines. I'm hoping he will become a first team regular though.

World Cup Winner

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2045/46

With Glentoran making strides in Europe, it was important that we kept our standards up.

League Table

A perfect season.

Domestic Cups - I fielded some very weak sides in the cups, it was surprising we got as far as we did.

UEFA Champions League - it was a struggle as we drew half our games in the group stage then managed two home leg comebacks in France. We hit form in the latter stages, and won the final with two late goals.

Glentoran in Europe - a great year in Europe, making the quarter finals for the second successive year.

Linfield in Europe - they did well to get to the group stage, but lost out in the final match.

Squad - I've trimmed the squad down a bit from last season, which I think has helped. I want to replace the older midfielders, but they are just too good.

Youth Products - a few more players and we will have a full team.

Transfers - the squad was too big last season, so I sold a few players. Some of them were sold on the cheap, but I was desperate to cut the squad down.

Key Player Profiles:

Antonin Guillot - a new top scorer as Flávio missed a few games through injury.

Flávio - probably still our best striker.

Hiltinho - an irreplaceable winger.

Davorin Horvat - picked up for just £5.75m, he provides great cover for both wings.

Hyun Jung-Ho - I don't usually keep players at this age, but he's great.

Career Overview
    Code:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2012/13   Championship Two         1st         Championship Two, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
    2013/14   Championship One         1st         Championship One, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
    2015/16   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
    2016/17   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2017/18   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League and Setanta Cup winners
    2018/19   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, League and Setanta Cup winners
    2019/20   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
    2020/21   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and League Cup winners
    2021/22   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2022/23   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2023/24   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2024/25   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish and Setanta Cup winners, Europa League finalists
    2025/26   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2026/27   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2027/28   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2028/29   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    2029/30   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
    2030/31   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    2031/32   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2032/33   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2033/34   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2034/35   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2035/36   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners, Champions League finalists
    2036/37   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Europa League winners
    2037/38   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    2038/39   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2039/40   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2040/41   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
    2041/42   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    2042/43   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2043/44   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, CWC and Champions League winners
    2044/45   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
    2045/46   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, and Champions League winners
    Next Season

Things seem to be improving for Glentoran, but Linfield really need to improve. We need more than two successful clubs to take Northern Ireland to the next level.

World Cup Winner

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 11th in European competitions (3 stars) - no change
    Northern Ireland - 8th in UEFA coefficients - up 1
    Northern Ireland - 108th in FIFA rankings - down 30

Glentoran - 19th in UEFA coefficients - up 6
    Linfield - 43rd in UEFA coefficients - up 1

Amateur

Do you have a screenshot of how you did set up your game? Because i can't find all the unattached foreign players when i try to start a game like this. I can only find some danes.
    Last edited by Kazpeer; 13-04-2012 at 11:57.

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Kazpeer View Post
    Do you have a screenshot of how you did set up your game? Because i can't find all the foreign players when i try to start a game like this.
    I don't have a screenshot, but all the details are in the opening post. Obviously my game was started on the original database, so the players may be different now.

Scouting knowledge may also make a difference, so the nationality of your manager may have an effect.

Amateur

I tried to set it up like you did, but then i didn't get the same amount of players you did.

I'll try to see if the natioanlity makes a difference.

Amateur

What's happened to Linfield? They were better than Glentoran at one time...

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ceirdiff View Post
    What's happened to Linfield? They were better than Glentoran at one time...
    I think it s just a lack of ambition. Glentoran seem to have been much better at capitalising on their success, Linfield seem to be a lot more cautious.

You can tell Glentoran have a bit more sense in the transfer market as they have no NI players in their squad

Amateur

If you somehow manage to push NI to 6th place in UEFA coefficients, that means 4th place club will play in final qual round for CL (in case you win CL).

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by yugo23 View Post
    If you somehow manage to push NI to 6th place in UEFA coefficients, that means 4th place club will play in final qual round for CL (in case you win CL).
    I'm not really sure, but I hope I get to find out

Amateur

Sign of things to come...

Amateur

you conceded the same amount in 1 game as you did in the entire league last season

Amateur

462 games unbeaten? O_o
    Hopefully now Linfield will start challenging in the Champions league though ;)

World Cup Winner

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2046/47

Things were looking good for Northern Ireland, so we needed to keep winning.

League Table

Our undefeated run was ended by Linfield, who also managed to prevent Glentoran from getting a Champions League spot.

Domestic Cups - I fielded weak teams and got knocked out of a couple of cups early, but I don't think we gained much by doing that.

UEFA Super Cup - we dominated the match but needed penalties to win.

FIFA Club World Cup - no problems in this one.

UEFA Champions League - things were looking so easy, until we met Man Utd.

Glentoran in Europe - they performed miracles in the group stage, but blew it in the home leg of the first knockout round.

Linfield in Europe - the results against Lyon were superb, but they had terrible luck in the draws for both competitions.

Squad - I'm still struggling to replace the older players, so this is possibly the oldest squad I've ever had.

Youth Products - apart from a couple of players, the standard isn't too high but I'm getting a squad together here.

Transfers - not a great transfer window as I wasted money on a couple of players.

Key Player Profiles:

Flávio - top scorer again.

Antonin Guillot - his strike partner.

Davorin Horvat - he's doing well, but still struggling to replace the older stars in the first team.

Admir Juric - past his best, but still going strong.

Hiltinho - similar to Juric, but a year younger.

Career Overview
    Code:
    2045/46   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, and Champions League winners
    2046/47   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League Cup and CWC winners
    Next Season

We simply have to win the Champions League if we want progress for Northern Ireland. I may have to abandon my recent policy on buying youngsters to get some quality players in to help us.

World Cup Winner

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 9th in European competitions (3.5 stars, up half a star) - up 2
    Northern Ireland - 9th in UEFA coefficients - down 1
    Northern Ireland - 108th in FIFA rankings - down 30

Glentoran - 20th in UEFA coefficients - down 1
    Linfield - 36th in UEFA coefficients - up 7

Youth Team

Great season from Glentoran, they beat Barca 6-1!!

Amateur

6-1! Bloodyhell, Glentoran. Better watch your back daf, they're coming for you

Amateur

Excellent read Dafuge. Just amazing work.

Can I ask if Oxford United Stars or Raceview Rangers have done anything in NI's leagues at all? I've managed both in past versions of FM and thoroughly enjoyed my time at both, although I never made it past the second tier as I suck.

World Cup Winner

Raceview have not done anything, but Oxford United Stars have appeared in the Premiership four times now.

Amateur

Raceview have not done anything, but Oxford United Stars have appeared in the Premiership four times now.
    Cool, thanks for the response.

Amateur
    Still annoying the cameraman at the back of the boothen end every home game!

Great game as always daf!! Are all your transfer a success or have you had a few expensive flops along the way as well?!

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by scfcbostock View Post
    Great game as always daf!! Are all your transfer a success or have you had a few expensive flops along the way as well?!
    It's always a bit of a mixture, but generally the players tipped to succeed by my scouts do.

World Cup Winner

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2047/48

The squad is in the process of a rebuild, which isn't really what I need when we badly need to win the Champions League.

League Table

After losing our unbeaten record last season, things got back to normal.

Domestic Cups - we had a shock in the League Cup, but the rest was easy.

UEFA Champions League - Marseille caused us a problem, but a superb win at home saw us through to the final. Things were tight, but in extra time we had a man sent off and gave away a penalty. It looked all over, but the penalty was saved and we managed to sneak a late winner.

Glentoran in Europe - oh dear.

Linfield in Europe - they were lucky to get out of the group stage ahead of AC Milan (who didn't win a game) but blew it against Galatasaray.

Squad - the average age is getting younger, but there are still a few key older players who will need replacing.

Youth Products - we've got a few decent players here, hopefully we can start to help the Northern Irish natioanl team.

Transfers - there was a bit of a clear out, but the job is not finished yet.

Key Player Profiles:

Flávio - top scorer again, this time in some style.

Daniel Rossi - he's started to take his place in the first team.

Antonin Guillot - suffered a bit with form, which gave Rossi his chance.

Hyun Jung-Ho - still going strong, although looks like he is ready for management.

Angel Roger - brought in to cover Juric, but has taken his place after Juric got injured.

Career Overview
    Code:
    2046/47   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League Cup and CWC winners
    2047/48   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish,Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    Next Season

Winning the Champions League was huge, and badly needed for Linfield who will get another chance next season.

Amateur

Very nice read!
    I was wondering, how are the facilities of the other teams in the Carling Premiership doing? Are they being upgraded a lot? And how about their stadiums?

Thx, keep it up!

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wouterdl View Post
    Very nice read!
    I was wondering, how are the facilities of the other teams in the Carling Premiership doing? Are they being upgraded a lot? And how about their stadiums?

Thx, keep it up!
    I can't see a lot of improvements to stadia, although a few of them had decent grounds to start off with. I'm not sure if the facilities have been improved much, but Linfield/Glentoran have reasonable facilities. Most of the other clubs just have basic/adequate.

World Cup Winner

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 11th in European competitions (3 stars, down half a star) - down 2
    Northern Ireland - 112th in FIFA rankings - down 4

Glentoran - 31st in UEFA coefficients - down 11
    Linfield - 42nd in UEFA coefficients - down 6

No green

Amateur

So frustrating when the other teams in your division aren't doing good in Europe. Nothing you can do then.

Bit of a stinker from Glentoran.

Amateur

Quick question

are the N Ireland games being played at your stadium yet? cup games etc?

you must have the biggest stadium in N Ireland by now?

Amateur

Dafuge - have you got an email from me? I'm not sure it has sent.
    Thanks

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by swedishchef_uk View Post
    Dafuge - have you got an email from me? I'm not sure it has sent.
    Thanks
    Yes, I got two of them. I replied to the second one a couple of hours ago.

World Cup Winner

Quick question

are the N Ireland games being played at your stadium yet? cup games etc?

you must have the biggest stadium in N Ireland by now?
    They are still using Windsor Park, which is about half the size of our stadium

World Cup Winner

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2048/49

We had a good season last year, but the other clubs didn't. Hopefully this years things would change for the better.

League Table

We lost one again, to Glentoran when the fixtures were piling up.

Domestic Cups - we conceded just two goals, unfortunately one of thoe goals knocked us out of the Irish Cup.

UEFA Super Cup - fairly one sided.

FIFA Club World Cup - a tight game, but we won.

UEFA Champions League - the only shock came in the first knockout match, but we came back in style in the second leg. After that we continued to beat the Spanish opposition before defeating Chelsea in the final.

Glentoran in Europe - three teams finished tied on seven points, Glentoran were unlucky to finish bottom.

Linfield in Europe - they lost in the Champions League playoffs but had a decent run in the Europa League.

Squad - the squad is currently quite large, but there are a number of older player who will be sold in the summer.

Youth Products - Lennon remains the only player able to make the first team.

Transfers - a small profit but this is only the start of the transfers as some of the older players are likely to be sold.

Key Player Profiles:

Hernán Rodríguez - he was brought in as the new hope to score goals, which he did thanks to a great start.

Jason Skinner - he may have only played in the minor matches but his record is impressive.

Flávio - the previous top scorer, who looks to be past his best.

Julián Bellotti - still breaking into the team, but looking great.

Admir Juric - an absolute club legend.

Career Overview
    Code:
    2047/48   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    2048/49   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    Next Season

Winning is all we can do at the moment as we look to rebuild the squad with younger players.

World Cup Winner

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 12th in European competitions (3 stars) - down 1
    Northern Ireland - 84th in FIFA rankings - up 28

Glentoran - 29th in UEFA coefficients - up 2
    Linfield - 40th in UEFA coefficients - up 2

Amateur

Daf do you think there is a chance that you've taken N.I. as far as you can with managing only one club? The other teams really don't seem to be making the progress you have and I wonder if it's time to see you work your magic elsewhere, be it in N.I. or otherwise.........

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by saab600 View Post
    Daf do you think there is a chance that you've taken N.I. as far as you can with managing only one club? The other teams really don't seem to be making the progress you have and I wonder if it's time to see you work your magic elsewhere, be it in N.I. or otherwise.........
    It does seem like things have hit a bit of a ceiling, although I'm determined to keep going to see what happens. The thought of a new stadium in a few years is what is keeping me going at the moment.

Amateur

Dafuge Park no doubt?! How do you think that will affect things?

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by saab600 View Post
    Dafuge Park no doubt?! How do you think that will affect things?
    Probably, it wouldn't be the first time I've had a new stadium with the same name as the old one

I can't see that it will make much difference, it would give us a bit more income but we really don't need it.

World Cup Winner

Finallly I've got the opportunity to help Northern Ireland out a bit more, by taking control of the national team. Hopefully I can give them a bit of a boost, and give my youth players some caps along the way.

Amateur

Is that the first time you've been offered the position? Could be a turning point.....

World Cup Winner

I've never been offered it before, but I've been keeping an eye out for the position to become available.

I'm not really sure if managing the national team can help the reputation/standard of the players, but it's worth a go.

Youth Team

Good luck with the national team!

Amateur

I've never been offered it before, but I've been keeping an eye out for the position to become available.

I'm not really sure if managing the national team can help the reputation/standard of the players, but it's worth a go.
    It's crazy to think that it has taken the Northern Ireland F.A some 37 years to give you the chance with the national side given your success. Have the F.A board been asleep all that time!!

Amateur

I've applied a few times for the N Ireland job. I took Scotland as far as i could, almost won the world cup with Spain, took Killymoon to champions league glory multiple times yet N Ireland laughed at my application and gave it to a former St Johnston Manager who won nothing.

They just don't want to take the risk of giving it to a foreigner (scot). I look forwards to the offer in 15 years or so now!

Amateur

Have you set a new record for most champions league titles won?

Could do with the other two in the top 20 in the rankings.

Amateur

Have you ever thought about taking a second team to the top?

I've just started a second manager in Wales in my "version" of taking a northern ireland team to the top.

World Cup Winner

I have thought about it, but I love the attachment to my club too much. While it might help NI, managing another club would feel a bit like starting a new game for me.

Amateur

You could add two new managers and take over Glentoran and Linfield for just one transfer window.

Amateur

I find that my cast-off youth players usually end up in other teams in my division when i deem them not good enough for my first team and release them (i'm playing a Wales game), so it's possible the other Northern Irish teams will benefit in a similar manner in this game.

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by drtrick View Post
    I find that my cast-off youth players usually end up in other teams in my division when i deem them not good enough for my first team and release them (i'm playing a Wales game), so it's possible the other Northern Irish teams will benefit in a similar manner in this game.
    It has taken a while, but we are getting there. I've had a couple of transfers of my youth players to larger NI clubs, so hopefully we can make a difference in the long run.

World Cup Winner

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2049/50

We were back on track, unfortunately the other clubs failed to keep up.

League Table

Back to the usual unbeaten season.

Domestic Cups - international call-ups cost us the Mid-Ulster Cup, we blew the Irish Cup final.

UEFA Super Cup - terrible penalties.

FIFA Club World Cup - a narrow win.

UEFA Champions League - we pretty much dominated all the way through, including a close final.

Glentoran in Europe - they were unlucky in the group stage but managed a few decent results in the Europa League.

Linfield in Europe - they did well in the qualifiers, but that was about it.

Squad - the average age is still coming down, but there's a couple of key players to replace still.

Youth Products - a few decent players, but nothing spectacular.

Transfers - a big clear-out as we replaced a few players for big profits.

Key Player Profiles:

Hernán Rodríguez - he top scored again, but I'm not convinced he's the man to lead our line.

Davorin Horvat - the winger impressed once again.

Filipe Mansilla - a rock in midfield.

Julián Belotti - a classy winger.

Enrique Samos - a new striker claiming his place in the first team.

Career Overview
    Code:
    2047/48   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
    2048/49   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2049/50   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, League, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    Next Season

All we can do is keep winning while we wait for a new stadium. Things with the Northern Irish national team haven't exactly gone well, as we struggled in our friendlies.
    Last edited by dafuge; 05-05-2012 at 09:52.

Amateur

How are the Europa League teams going?

World Cup Winner

How are the Europa League teams going?
    Terribly, like usual. Oxford United stars managed to beat a team from the Faroe islands in the qualifiers but every other tie ended in defeat for the NI clubs.

We desperately need a fourth club to step up but it doesn't look like happening

World Cup Winner

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 10th in European competitions (3.5 stars, up half a star) - up 2
    Northern Ireland - 8th in UEFA coefficients - up 1
    Northern Ireland - 111th in FIFA rankings - down 27

Glentoran - 29th in UEFA coefficients - no change
    Linfield - 42nd in UEFA coefficients - down 2

Amateur

I just started playing FM a month or so ago. Compared to you I suck, but I guess I'm okay. I was just wondering if you could show us your tactics, and formation. I'd love to have a look at how you got so successful.
    I've read most of this thread now (started an hour ago, and have read to page 7). My problem in my save is that no matter how beastly the strikers I sign are, I cannot seem to get them scoring. When they finally score, they're very inconsistent, and may go 4 games without goals, and the BOOM, score like 4-5 in the 5th game. Quite odd. Anyways, a great read and I'll be sure to stick around!

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rGade View Post
    I just started playing FM a month or so ago. Compared to you I suck, but I guess I'm okay. I was just wondering if you could show us your tactics, and formation. I'd love to have a look at how you got so successful.
    My tactics/formation

This isn't really the key to my success though, good squad building is. I only really win things when I have better players than the opposition.

Amateur

Hmm.. I might have a go with that formation. I usually use the 4-2-3-1 formation, but it's very inconsistent for me. Have you made any changes in the "Team Instructions" tab?

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rGade View Post
    Hmm.. I might have a go with that formation. I usually use the 4-2-3-1 formation, but it's very inconsistent for me. Have you made any changes in the "Team Instructions" tab?
    Not a lot, most of it is left on default.

Semi Pro

40 seasons in and only after the CL final screenie I realized that your crest looks like Barça's!

Amateur

Thanks for the replies, will try with some of your tactics. Looking forward to hearing more from your save!

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by kingjericho View Post
    40 seasons in and only after the CL final screenie I realized that your crest looks like Barça's!
    I'd not noticed until now. Same shape, features a ball and two sets of coloured stripes. Barça don't have any trees though

Haha. That badge is the only thing I am going to realise now ....although the tree's are better ;).

World Cup Winner

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2050/51

We have been dominant in recent seasons, so our big hope was that the other clubs would try to catch up.

League Table

Another dominant season, even if we did throw away a couple of matches.

Domestic Cups - a clean sweep.

UEFA Super Cup - we managed to hang on for the win.

FIFA Club World Cup - a very one sided final.

UEFA Champions League - we were unstoppable as we beat Barcelona again in the final.

Glentoran in Europe - they did well in a tough group but missed out on a great chance in the Europa League.

Linfield in Europe - they did well to qualify, but struggled in a tough group.

Squad - the squad has great balance, there may be a couple of new signings but there's no rebuilding needed.

Youth Products - we've got a decent set of players now, which will hopefully help the national team as time goes on.

Transfers - not a huge amount of action.

Key Player Profiles:

Hernán Rodríguez - he top scored again, but I'm still not convinced.

Enrique Samos - he did well as the second striker.

Angelo - he started a lot of the cup matches, but things are looking good for the new striker.

Lounes Abbes - a great year for the midfielder.

Admir Juric - next season will probably be his last, but he can still do a job when called upon.

Career Overview
    Code:
    2049/50   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, League, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    2050/51   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
    Next Season

Next season will mark the 20 year anniversary of Dafuge Park being built, so I'm hopeful that there will be some more stadium related news.

Amateur

Just won the All-Ireland Cup which I presumed was the new name for the Setanta Cup and only got £33K. Was really hoping for over a million as need it to move on. Guessing I'll have to qualify for Champions League. In 5th year and won all other comps this year with Sport & Leisure.

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by olliep View Post
    Just won the All-Ireland Cup which I presumed was the new name for the Setanta Cup and only got £33K. Was really hoping for over a million as need it to move on. Guessing I'll have to qualify for Champions League. In 5th year and won all other comps this year with Sport & Leisure.
    There was a bug with the original version of the game which meant the Setanta Cup money went through the roof. At one point the winners were getting around £6m

It was later fixed with the patch and brought back down to what it should be.

Amateur

Is 6th place in UEFA coefficients table still far away? I truly doubt anything will change in upcoming decades, unless you make some sort of intervention. Maybe you could splash serious cash on some Cliftonville, Crusaders etc. players, so we could see what happens.

World Cup Winner

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 8th in European competitions (3.5 stars) - up 2
    Northern Ireland - 9th in UEFA coefficients - down 1
    Northern Ireland - 91st in FIFA rankings - up 20

Glentoran - 31st in UEFA coefficients - down 2
    Linfield - 39th in UEFA coefficients - up 3

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by yugo23 View Post
    Is 6th place in UEFA coefficients table still far away? I truly doubt anything will change in upcoming decades, unless you make some sort of intervention. Maybe you could splash serious cash on some Cliftonville, Crusaders etc. players, so we could see what happens.
    It does look like we've hit a bit of a wall, but I still want to plough on without directly influencing any of the other clubs.

All we need is a bit of consistency from Linfield/Glentoran and possibly one or two other clubs to make the EL group stage.

Amateur

Fortunately I got into the Europa League by losing the final Champions League qualifier. Next season I will be a professional club, have a 997 ALL-SEATER stadium and have my first training improvement. However, I have lost all four group matches so far though.

Amateur

Just spent the last hour and a half reading this and wow. How do you get thru seasons so fast? Impressive results, you're awe inspiring.

Amateur

How did that striker, Nathan Ebbrell, turn out? He had some of the craziest aerial stats I've ever seen.

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by steakfaced View Post
    Just spent the last hour and a half reading this and wow. How do you get thru seasons so fast? Impressive results, you're awe inspiring.
    I let my assistant take control of the press conferences and team talks and I watch the matches with commentary only. I've also got a fairly small database so things tend to go quite quickly.

Oh, and I spend I ridiculous amount of my free time playing FM

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by frox View Post
    How did that striker, Nathan Ebbrell, turn out? He had some of the craziest aerial stats I've ever seen.
    Nathan Ebbrell

He struggled at Chelsea but went on to have a decent career at Leeds in the Championship. Managed a few England caps too.

Amateur

Oh, and I spend I ridiculous amount of my free time playing FM
    Absolutely brilliant career!

Do you have any plans like going all British,or only using players coming through your youth system,things like that?

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Nordan View Post
    Absolutely brilliant career!

Do you have any plans like going all British,or only using players coming through your youth system,things like that?
    Not really. At the moment I'm still trying to do what I can to raise the profile of football in NI as much as possible, which means I need to keep buying the best players available.

I have tried bringing in the youth players, but they just aren't good enough to keep me winning the CL.

Amateur

Not really. At the moment I'm still trying to do what I can to raise the profile of football in NI as much as possible, which means I need to keep buying the best players available.

I have tried bringing in the youth players, but they just aren't good enough to keep me winning the CL.
    Cheers mate,that makes sense.Keep up the excellent work.

Amateur

I'm running a few leagues in parallel with my N.Irish league and I've managed to get Berwick from the 3rd to the spl in back to back promotions by basically providing them my youngsters and reserves. They've only gone ahead and built a 22k seater stadium and put themselves 45 million in debt.

Have you thought about sending your youngsters out to get a season or two of first team action on loan? I've managed to get 1 youngster who's good enough for my first team by sending him to Berwick the past 4 years.

World Cup Winner

I've only ever kept on the best of my youngsters, all of which refuse to join my feeder clubs on loan.

I've already considered keeping on some of the lesser players from my youth team, in the hope they could make it in the lower leagues.

World Cup Winner

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast