More than one person per copy?

Hello,

Me and my brother have bought and played FM for years. We went and bought FM12 a few hours ago and I installed it on Steam (like I always do) and then we found out that my brother couldn't install it without Steam (like he did last year), and he also couldn't install it on his Steam account. Is there any way for him to be able to install FM12 on his Steam account or is this just a way for SI to get more money by making some of their most loyal customers buy several copies of the same game?

Thanks

He will have to buy a copy, unfortunately. Only 1 game can be registered to 1 account

That's a shame. Don't understand why everyone has to use Steam this year. They are punishing a lot of their customers, people without internet connections and now people who have more than one person who plays the game. Very disappointed about this.

Hello,

Me and my brother have bought and played FM for years. We went and bought FM12 a few hours ago and I installed it on Steam (like I always do) and then we found out that my brother couldn't install it without Steam (like he did last year), and he also couldn't install it on his Steam account. Is there any way for him to be able to install FM12 on his Steam account or is this just a way for SI to get more money by making some of their most loyal customers buy several copies of the same game?

Thanks

I'm not sure you can class someone as "loyal" if they haven't paid for the game and are playing it while someone else is using the same copy. You could always get around your situation by playing a hot seat game together. If you had been using the same copy at the same time previously, then that was actually illegal, and you shouldn't have been able to unless you circumvented the copy protection mechanism.

You've always only been allowed to use one copy per person, this is stated in the EULA that you agree to. This year SI have a way to enforce that. It might be harsh of them, but they are completely entitled to do it legally (for now).

That's a shame. Don't understand why everyone has to use Steam this year. They are punishing a lot of their customers, people without internet connections and now people who have more than one person who plays the game. Very disappointed about this.

Sorry to say, but it's one copy per person. What you were doing before is basically what they are trying to stop....

I'm not sure you can class someone as "loyal" if they haven't paid for the game and are playing it while someone else is using the same copy. You could always get around your situation by playing a hot seat game together. If you had been using the same copy at the same time previously, then that was actually illegal, and you shouldn't have been able to unless you circumvented the copy protection mechanism.

On FM08 and before it was easily doable (I played those games on my laptop and PC at the same time) by removing the disk after loading the game. FM09 could be played on 5 at once in theory, FM10 and 11 could be played on two (activate one on Steam and play with disk in tray on the other).

All we did was install one game on Steam and the other without Steam. I assumed that it wouldn't allow you to do that if you weren't supposed to do it. If that is the case, I apologise and I will tell my brother that the only way he can play the game is to buy his own copy.

LMAO! Maybe the latter is the reason everyone has to use Steam?

On FM08 and before it was easily doable (I played those games on my laptop and PC at the same time) by removing the disk after loading the game. FM09 could be played on 5 at once in theory, FM10 and 11 could be played on two (activate one on Steam and play with disk in tray on the other).

Ah yes, my memory is already hazy with these things as the years go by. :)

All we did was install one game on Steam and the other without Steam. I assumed that it wouldn't allow you to do that if you weren't supposed to do it. If that is the case, I apologise and I will tell my brother that the only way he can play the game is to buy his own copy.

Apology accepted and I can't tell you enough how much we're grateful for the support of all those who purchase the game. If you didn't realise, you didn't realise, but as a business we obviously need to protect our interests.

Archived