Gundo's FM12 European Adventure Challenge™

Gundo's FM12 European Adventure Challenge™

The History

Gundo's European Adventure Challenge was first introduced as an alternative to the dafuge challenge back on FM06 after I had a brainwave one evening. It is essentially a 'small club to big club challenge' but just has a different name, I like to be different you see.;) It has unearthed some true diamonds - player-wise over the years, to name just one - the Swedish/Polish youngster Patrik Burda was just magical for many of us on FM06 and 07. In truth it's the participants of the challenge that make it what it is, with stories of success and some of failure. Hopefully the challenge will be around for many more versions yet.:thup:

The Aim

To take a small club who where previously unplayable in the game from the lower leagues to their Domestic League Title and Champions League crown (doesn't have to be in the same season). I realize it's not an easy challenge, but should be a lot of fun trying.

The Set-up

European Leagues you can't use: England, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Turkey and *Scotland.

*New FM12 League reputations - Eligible nations below the line:

England          185
Spain            180
Germany          172 
Italy            170
France           155
Portugal         145
Russia           140
Turkey           135
--------------------[b][b]
Netherlands      134[/b][/b][b][b]
Ukraine          130[/b][/b]
[b]Greece           125 
Belgium          122
[/b][b]Romania          118[/b][i]
*Scotland        117[/i][b][b]
Denmark          115[/b][/b]
[b]Switzerland      114[/b][b] 
Austria          112[/b][b][b]
Czech Republic   112[/b][/b] 
[b][i]Israel           111[/i][/b][b]
Poland           109[/b] [b][b]
Croatia          108[/b][/b][b] 
Serbia           108[/b]
[b][b]Bulgaria         106[/b][/b][b][b]
Slovakia         106[/b][/b][b] 
Norway           105[/b] 
[b][b]Belarus          104[/b][/b][b][b]
Sweden           102[/b][/b][b] 
Slovenia         99 
Hungary          98[/b][b] 
Finland          90[/b] 
[b]Ireland          90[/b]
[b]Iceland          75[/b]     [b]
N. Ireland       72[/b] 
[b]Wales            58[/b] 
[font=Arial]
[/font]

Getting started

-Load a game with all the available divisions within the nation you have selected; only one nation is allowed.

-You are free to use a Large, Medium or Small a database and you are permitted to load all players from your chosen nation however No additional players from any other nation should be loaded.

-Attribute masking should be enabled.

-The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

-Add yourself as an unemployed Manager (hol_man); the details are not important at all.

-Then go on holiday until the new seasons teams are generated (each country will be different). An example: Norway's is: 20th January. (Hint - saving the day before on 19th January for Norway, should give you a better choice of teams by being able to quit and reloading the game). This shouldn't take that long either. A list of rough dates for your relevant nation will be listed below.

League re-set dates (+ denotes confirmed FM12 re-set dates)

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 14th February.

+Belgium - 29th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 20th June.

+CzechRepublic - 29th June.

+Denmark - 29th June.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

+Netherlands - 6th July.

Hungary - 20th June.

Iceland - 5th January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel - 20th June.

N.Ireland - 19th June.

+Norway - 20th January.

Poland - 30th June.

Romania - 30th June.

+Serbia - 9th July.

+Slovakia- 28th June.

Slovenia - 1st July.

+Sweden - 15th December.

*+Switzerland - 20th June.

Ukraine - 18th June.

Wales - 20th June.

*You will have to holiday for two seasons in Switzerland due to new league layout from 12/13. you will be permitted to manage any of the clubs promoted, regardless of whether they were in the active divisions for the 11/12 season. Here's some saves courtesy of Dexter_Morgan.

Remember to save a few days before to ensure they are the correct dates.

-Then retire your original manager profile.

-Add a new manager, the options/details are up to you but 'past experience' must be set as 'Sunday League Footballer' or if that reputation isn't available then you must then select 'Automatic'.

I understand that choosing your nationality may have an effect later on, but I trust people will be sensible with this, I would expect people to use their own nationalities/second nationalities.

-Take over one of the newly promoted clubs to the lowest playable division within your selected nation. If you are not sure about which clubs have been promoted simply check last seasons league table and the new clubs will obviously be the clubs not in it. To make completely sure that the club is eligible, check the club's history of league positions, it should be blank for the previous season.

It is completely up to you which club you choose, although please appreciate that some clubs may be easier to manage than others. example; Some clubs will have a full squad of players and staff, while others won't. Also some will have higher reputations than others making it easier to sign players ect. So choose wisely. The nation you've chosen to manage in will affect difficulty too.

It is now up to you to manage your chosen club to their domestic title and to win the UEFA Champions League.

You are not permitted to move between clubs unless you are sacked; whereby then you can either take over a newly promoted club to the lowest playable division next time the reset date comes round or simply quit your current save and start over.

Any form of international management is not allowed, until you have completed the challenge.

There are no restrictions on assigning feeder/parent clubs.

Scouting Guidelines

You can only sign players that you are able to scout or trial at the club first, so in short the player must have the 'Get scout report' button on his profile screen. The one exception to this is when you ask a current squad member to recommend a new signing, It is then ok to sign him as the player who recommended him knows of him anyway. NEW. If an agent offers you a player, it is ok to sign the player.

No external utilities such as FMScout should be used and the database should be un-edited. Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released.

Rules for this Thread

-Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

-Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

-Screenshots for anything in-game are encouraged, as are youtube clips of matches ect. I will advise you to put video clips as links only though and not as a direct click and play type.This will keep the thread fairly clutter free and make browsing it quicker.

-When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your managers Personal Screen (it's the screen that shows your starting rep., dob ect.) on the date you take control at your new club.

-Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. We want to hear the story of your club all the way through (success or failure). So please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

-At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including the minimum of a screenshot of the league table. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier for others to pick out.

How to Post a Screenshot

1. While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2. Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3. Save the file as a JPEG

4. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

5. Post the direct Url to the image here.

Good luck on your European Adventure! :cool:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something weird is going on in the Swiss League. First season the Challenge League has 6 relegations and no promotions. League looks like it reverts to normal for the second season. So would need to holiday for two years to get a new team.

I was actually planning on going into Switzerland for this, and was doing some research on who I wanted to play as when I came across this

It explains the "something weird" as it's just SI implementing the actual changes to the Swiss system. It does mean you'll have to holiday through 2 years to play there though

EDIT: This also means that there's a good chance of the same teams coming up as went down. Will need confirmation as to whether they are eligible for use or not, as otherwise it might make things quite tedious to holiday.

Seinäjoen Jalkapallokerho

Finnish First Division

SJK (or Seinäjoen Jalkapallokerho) is a Finnish football club from the city of Seinäjoki. SJK was formed in 2007 after the merger of TP-Seinäjoki and Sepsi-78. The club is currently playing in the Kakkonen, the third tier of the Finnish league system. SJK play their home matches at Seinäjoen keskuskenttä.

Town: Seinäjoki.

Population: 57,930.

Well they have a black kit, are based in Finland and I can abbreviate the name so the team for FM2012 is sorted.

Will update once the first season is finished.

Good luck to everyone who attempts this excellent challenge.

Gundo - I love the mention of Patrik Burda, what a true legend he was/is! He has to be my favourite player of all time.

As you may expect, i am at this moment in time holidaying in my second home............Norway :)

I'll let you know who i shall be managing in the not too distant future......... Let the good times begin once again :D

Good luck once again in Norway Cookie.

Babaginoosh if you happen across any sides that play on Zakynthos (Zante), that become promoted, could you post a save game for me, as I have just been told that I will be working in Zante for 6 months next summer, so am getting tempted to try a relevant save this year!

Good luck once again in Norway Cookie.

Babaginoosh if you happen across any sides that play on Zakynthos (Zante), that become promoted, could you post a save game for me, as I have just been told that I will be working in Zante for 6 months next summer, so am getting tempted to try a relevant save this year!

Ill defnintely keep an eye out. I just picked a random team to get started cause ive had the itch. Ill continue more saves to see if they come up.

Finished all my pre season friendlies, had 14 in total and now think Im suitably prepared for the Finnish Cup 4th round.

Decided I will only be using finnish players in this save to add further difficulty.

Bought two players in total on frees including 1 exciting 17 year old striker.

Will be a shame to have to sell my brazilian striker whos got 14 goals in 14 games but Ive given myself 2 seasons to get rid of any non finnish players.

Pretty pleased I ended up with Seinäjoen Jalkapallokerho and can't wait to play some more tomorrow after work.

Can I just ask why we have to holiday first? I really want to take on a team that just got promoted into a playable division last season. As in, they were unplayable in last year's version to begin with. Isn't that the same as taking on a team that just got promoted a year into the game?

Can I just ask why we have to holiday first? I really want to take on a team that just got promoted into a playable division last season. As in, they were unplayable in last year's version to begin with. Isn't that the same as taking on a team that just got promoted a year into the game?

No, that's the same as doing Gundo's FM11 adventure on FM12. Might not seem like a difference, but it doesn't quite make for the same dynamic.

How would everyone feel about maybe once you have completed this years challenge (Domestic Title and Champions League), maybe being allowed to add more nations into your save? Thought it might be quite interesting to take advantage of that new feature and it would be a nice reward for people who do complete it.:)

Just an idea, Thoughts?

Im not sure which challenge I am going to do first this year but I am setting up the ones I plan to do. I am not sure where I want to manage in this one. I do know what I want to try someplace I haven't been before. My shortlist is Netherlands, Finland, Norway,Denmark, Czech Republic, and Croatia. What I am going to do is divide the alphabet into 6 sections and randomly assign a team to each section. Whoever posts after this post the first letter in there forum name will determine the country.

Would like to give this a go and possibly in Czech Republic after a 25 season game with Banik Ostrava in FM11, but i've already failed(given up) on the big nations one :p but i guess there is nothing wrong with trying new games.

Is the reset date the same as FM11 for Czech? if not does anybody know it?

If this doesn't go well, i think i'll have to start unemployed career game.

The Czech reset date for FM12 is the 29th, so saving on 28th would be best.

I think I failed at this a few years back with Killyleagh in N.I. while having some fun, so why not give it another go...

After considering Hungary and Iceland I ended up returning to the emerald isle although a bit further south. I had four teams to choose from and went with the coolest name, Cherry Orchard on the outskirts of Dublin. They play at The Lawns in Ballyfernot, and if this picture is anything to go by, it's going to be my kind of football.

lefanuparkballyfermot01.jpg

Information

Team

Probably will be slow going but hopefully I can stick with it long enough to get somewhere. AssMan claims we have a number of five-star players. I doubt it. Off to find better.

I feel sad :(. I wanted to achieve something spectacular for FM12 by completing all challenges or attempting too that are in the CSE. Having read the rules of this thread, it seems that dafuge's, LLR's and yours don't interlock, only just though as dafuge's save requires you to use a customised database with the three feeder divisions that go into the BSS/BSN. Gundo, do you think that you could make an exception? The time it will probably take me to complete dafuge's challenge and LLR's will probably minimise the effect on the save hopefully. I planned on starting in Wales too.

Gundo - I think LLR has included provision in BEN whereby if you get sacked you are allowed to add a different league and remove your current one and continue the same save in a different country without restarting the save. There has also been provision added for players to be able to add another league wholesale on completion of the challenge in order to attempt the challenge again in a new location while still following the progress of their former team.

Is there any confirmation on how we're working the Switzerland situation yet?

Sounds fun, I'll give it a try. And when I saw that the Finnish league is home to the (soon to be) mighty FC Santa Claus, my choice of league was made!

Located way up north in Rovaniemi, we play out of Keskuskentta, a 4000 seat all-seater with a synthetic surface. Of course, with a season ticket base of 75, I can't see us filling it any time soon. Training and youth facilities are adequate, although the youth facilities are rented. Junior coaching and youth recruitment is very poor, don't think I can count on any star youth coming through the system.

The media is predicting a last place finish, let's hope we can beat that!

Hi, Gundo. Good luck with the challenge this year. As always I am following this thread with great interest. Consider to try the challenge myself, but will get a bit more familiar with FM12 first.

One question though, if you are holidaying Norway, or other countries that have their season from march to november, do you holiday the year 2011, or do you holiday 2012?

Because you can start in january 2011 in Norway.

A month or so into the season and I've signed way too many players, as usual. Doing more or less as well as expected, 9th/13 in the league and through to the first round of the league cup. My 4-2-3-1 might be slightly ambitious for this level, but I'll give it a couple more weeks to settle.

Is there any confirmation on how we're working the Switzerland situation yet?

I'm going to say yes you will be allowed to take over the any of the clubs promoted after holidaying for two seasons, otherwise it would result in Switzerland becoming a non playable nation within the challenge.

Out of interest, have you checked the editor to compare club reps between the divisions? Is there a big difference?

Gundo - I think LLR has included provision in BEN whereby if you get sacked you are allowed to add a different league and remove your current one and continue the same save in a different country without restarting the save. There has also been provision added for players to be able to add another league wholesale on completion of the challenge in order to attempt the challenge again in a new location while still following the progress of their former team.

How do we all feel about this?

I'm not too sure how it is actually going to work with regards to what things are left in the game once a Nation is switched off.

It has always been my aim to keep this challenge simple and easy to understand, that is something I plan to keep doing.

I think it's something we will have to monitor.

I feel sad :(. I wanted to achieve something spectacular for FM12 by completing all challenges or attempting too that are in the CSE. Having read the rules of this thread, it seems that dafuge's, LLR's and yours don't interlock, only just though as dafuge's save requires you to use a customised database with the three feeder divisions that go into the BSS/BSN. Gundo, do you think that you could make an exception? The time it will probably take me to complete dafuge's challenge and LLR's will probably minimise the effect on the save hopefully. I planned on starting in Wales too.

I'm not actually sure what your asking? :confused:

Gundo - I love the mention of Patrik Burda, what a true legend he was/is! He has to be my favourite player of all time.

As you may expect, i am at this moment in time holidaying in my second home............Norway :)

I'll let you know who i shall be managing in the not too distant future......... Let the good times begin once again :D

True Legend Mr Burda.

Best of luck with your Tiller adventure.:cool:

Hi, Gundo. Good luck with the challenge this year. As always I am following this thread with great interest. Consider to try the challenge myself, but will get a bit more familiar with FM12 first.

One question though, if you are holidaying Norway, or other countries that have their season from march to november, do you holiday the year 2011, or do you holiday 2012?

Because you can start in january 2011 in Norway.

Thanks Taunton. I think I'm going to get started on this fairly soon in Norway.:)

You can start on either date and then holiday for a year. I chose 2011 and then holidayed.

From what I've read in BEN, the country switching upon a sacking is under the assumption that the game maintains roughly the same size database. If it turns out to not do so then it will probably be disallowed.

As for the reps, I've not bothered to look at the clubs - just want to dive in now I'm finally done working for the weekend :p

Sola FK unveiled Gundo as their new manager.

So then my FM12 adventure is under way and once again I'm back in Norway, in the municipality of Sola, Rogaland a region just outside Stavanger.

You are near the airport, so when the european fixtures are coming, then travelling will be easy. Good luck!

I can confirm the Swiss reset date is still June 20th

After maybe only 7 or 8 reloads, I managed to get a team that wasn't a) Liechtensteiner and b) in the Challenge League at the start of the game.

150px-FC_Meyrin.png

Meet Lionel Aguerre (information screen), new manager at FC Meyrin, playing in the city of Meyrin - the closest city to the CERN particle physics labartory.

The club play their home games at Stade de Bois-Carré, with an in-game capacity of a mighty 1000(500 seated).

Meyrin-k_500x375.JPG

My journey begins here :)

You are near the airport, so when the european fixtures are coming, then travelling will be easy. Good luck!

Haha good point, although Europe seems a long way away at present...

I can confirm the Swiss reset date is still June 20th

After maybe only 7 or 8 reloads, I managed to get a team that wasn't a) Liechtensteiner and b) in the Challenge League at the start of the game.

150px-FC_Meyrin.png

Meet Lionel Aguerre (information screen), new manager at FC Meyrin, playing in the city of Meyrin - the closest city to the CERN particle physics labartory.

The club play their home games at Stade de Bois-Carré, with an in-game capacity of a mighty 1000(500 seated).

My journey begins here :)

Best of luck Biscotti and cheers for the re-set date.:thup:

Looks like a few people are managing in Finland, I'm pretty happy with my start at SJK, played 7 W4 D1 L2, hoping I can keep this up for the full season as Id be delighted with a 3rd place finish.

Only downside is I've lost my top player for 3 months.

For any guys playing in Finland check out Daniel Caumo, he's scored 17 goals in 18 games including friendlies.

Looks like a real gem! Do your coaches rate him potential wise?

4.5* current, 5* potential. Not that I trust my coaches all that much, seeing as I had zero staff upon joining the club and had to make do with what I could get quickly.

I was initially going to start in Iceland but then decided I'd take something easier for starters.

Holiday'd many seasons (I quite like regens being around early) and took over the fallen bankrupt and refounded giant, SK Austria Klagenfurt which thanks to Euro 2008 has a 32000 seater stadium. My intertübes are clogged at home at the moment so screenshots later.

As ever, if anyone completes this with a Slovenian team, I will be utterly amazed. I may even stretch to a cash prize. I've been trying since 2006, to no avail.

Expect I'll have another crack at some point this year, but perhaps not yet.

As ever, if anyone completes this with a Slovenian team, I will be utterly amazed. I may even stretch to a cash prize. I've been trying since 2006, to no avail.

Expect I'll have another crack at some point this year, but perhaps not yet.

I would have thought that it would have become easier over the last couple of versions, especially with the dynamic league reputation. Should be able to encourage better players into the league. Maybe this will be the year you can crack it.

How are people finding players to sign and what with Scouts working differently, it seems to make it much harder. I try to rarely use the Player search/Transfer centre thing either.

Well. Finally I will give this challenge a decent shot. Meet Hugo Flink, the new manager of Tollnes in Norway.

Flink means clever in Norwegian, and I have to be, if I want to bring success to this club.

I would like to do the challenge in my home country and choose a club not far from where I grew up. So I went for Tollnes, a club I always have had a soft spot for.

I am not familiar with doing the updates and so, but hopefully I will learn as the game evolves.

Media prediction is 12th, and they have an artificial turf. The club is squeezed in between two cities, just about on the border between them, so they don't have much support. This could be interesting:)

First time attempting this challenge but I have followed last year's thread, I'm going to be different to others and go for Serbia. Will holiday now and post my profile up in a bit once I've picked my team.

I managed to do this in Serbia back on FM10, was a decent save actually. Serbia joining the EU about 5 seasons in made things much easier as it changed the rules for players in domestic matches.

Archived