What Do You Take Into Consideration When Selecting A Team To Manage?

Now I know some people like to play career games where they start unemployed and I like to do that too sometimes but this thread is about how your mind works when selecting a team to manage on Football Manager? I'm sure some people will have some really weird reasons for selecting certain teams so let's hear them guys.

Sometimes I go with Random.

Sometimes start unemployed no reputation

Sometimes start by clicking random until I see Finance Status as Rich and take the first club.

Sometimes I take over a giant team and win the leauge there and move on to the other continents taking over top team after top team.

Sometimes I'll take a lower league team to the Champion League champions.

Depends on how I'm feeling.

If I do not plan to do Journeyman save I pick my favourite team or a team with cool names.

If i'm doing a Journeyman save I pick teams that needs help and always end up in the end with my favourite team.

If I do not plan to do Journeyman save I pick my favourite team or a team with cool names.

If i'm doing a Journeyman save I pick teams that needs help and always end up in the end with my favourite team.

That's what I was getting at haha, I've done this in the past with teams in an obscure league. I notice they're name sounds amazing and will select them based purely on that.

Usually I look for a mid to low end table team to begin with. I try to pick a team with little to no domestic league wins and try get them to the top of the ladder. Sometimes I get fired because I genuinely (perhaps stupidly) think I can get into Europe in my first season and never do. I'm a Liverpool supporter but hardly ever start with them. I prefer to build up my rep first and hope to get a job offer from them later on.

Look at their age, the previous managers signings, what competitions they are in (if mid season job) or sometimes I'll take a lower league team to the Champion League champions, start unemployed for an interesting challenge or if I am watching football on tv and like the team I am watching and think I can do well with them!

My first saves usually end up with the teams I support of follow in real life. After that I always start unemployed and like to manage in New Zealand to kick off my career I usually go with Auckland City.

2624.jpg

Who wouldn't want to manage or watch a team whose ground is like that in real life.

The aim of my career is to win a continental trophy on every continent so after Auckland City I try to get employed by a team with a lot of cash, team with a cool name or a low English side I can use as a stepping stone.

I've spend hours on the Good player & Team guides forum on this site, used random google sentences like " Castle Football stadium" and spend a lot of time on Wikipedia to find stuff out about clubs. Still have no clue whatsoever as to which club to manage though.. That picture does look stunning and very tempting Acid!

Sometimes I go with Random.

Sometimes start unemployed no reputation

Sometimes start by clicking random until I see Finance Status as Rich and take the first club.

Sometimes I take over a giant team and win the leauge there and move on to the other continents taking over top team after top team.

Sometimes I'll take a lower league team to the Champion League champions.

Depends on how I'm feeling.

This for me.

Prior to FM2011 I played with favourite team Hull City. In FM2011 I started with a foreign team that had a high reputation but no manager which was Ajax. In FM2012 I am going to start with an English team in the lower leagues with no manager and have chosen Plymouth, which with the fincancial problems will be a huge challenge and one of the biggest jobs on the game I have taken.

Usually I pick a lowish team to work up the leagues, so all the legends are my teams. I picked Truro as my main save (ie holiday first season) in 2011, in 2010 I had st mirren. St mirren may be a top division team, but they were rather.. lowish in stature.

I always start with four teams in Leauge one (England) I name the mangers as myself and the likes of Jamie Redknapp and Mark Lawrenson etc. I do my best with all four clubs and run about twenty leagues so its very interesting to see where all end up. The ultimate goal being winning the world cup and breaking as many records as possible!

Holiday until around March then wait until someone gets sack that's doing crap then rescue them. Then the next season i make sure they are safe in terms of players, money and position in league then when they are all fine i go on to another club but if i get them relegated i get them back up and stable before leaving.

FM Superman!

When I choose, I like it to be midtableish, without rubbish finances or that much debt, got slight dilemma as the closest thing to a local club is Dover, but as they may be top half rep (never go on demo so not sure yet) do I go with that as an aptly local starting point for a career or club that's a bit lower? Will decide when I get the game on Friday, previously it was always Ipswich first, apart from last time when it was unemployed start for a bit.

I cannot manage my favorite club due to too many biases so I usually find a lowest league team that has the following...

Fight relegation when I arrive

Has a team name that sounds like it can become a big club.

Has good colors and kit.

I also look up online and make sure the city is big enough to support a team and the are pictures show a place I would like to visit.

Scarborough town was my all time favorite to date. Stafford rangers I used the past couple years with redditch united as well.

I decided some time ago, two to three months maybe, that my first save on FM12 would be with Toulouse. I wanted a 'project' club, a work in progress, but didn't want the hassle of getting them into the top flight - i've been there and done that and, due to the time i take while playing the game, tend not to leave myself much time to do anything once i've actually slogged my way to the top.

So to decide who to manage i put the Wikipedia pages of England, the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France, Italy and Portugal up, for the last season; ruling out the teams that had qualified already for Europe, as i wanted to do that myself and make that voyage into European football more meaningful, as well, of course, as ruling out the relegated clubs. From that there were around 10 clubs from each league to choose from. What swayed me towards Toulouse cannot be said for certain, but the chance to build a team around Moussa Sissoko, reminiscent of what my club Liverpool were able to do with a young Steven Gerrard, did play a large part - that, or the chance to have him poached by Man City after half a season ... and to use the funds to rebuild the team in my image! The French league is also at it's most interesting, with the rise of Paris Saint Germain as a superpower and a 'new' champion, in Lille. Along with Marseille, Lyon and Bordeaux there is real competition but also an avenue to establish Toulouse as a leading club within the country, something that is a little more difficult to do in England, Spain or Italy.

And of course, not many clubs play in violet. For good or bad that distinguishes them from many other clubs around the world. Their stadium is large at 38,500 (although wikipedia tells me it's 35,472?) and and the finances are secure - the facilities are not ideal, but that presents a challenge to bring the club up to the standard of the major forces in France, and is all a part of the project.

In general, the kit does influence me a fair bit as that's what you'll be seeing a lot of, especially whether the 2d dots are pretty looking or not - it disappoints me, as an aside, if memory serves, that the dots are more basic now compared to the variety of styled dots they had in FM08. Further to the colours, the geographical location of the club also plays a part, and club name. Seeing as i've been dominated by lower league saves i tend to pay little attention to the playing squads because they are so temporary. It's more important that the things which are everlasting are right in my mind. Now, if i play journeyman style then i happen to pay very little attention to anything as the club itself is temporary! The historical nature, the romanticism that some clubs hold over you, do influence: i managed Boavista for that reason - t'was before i later learned of the rationale for their demotion to the third tier, you know, those romantic ideas like match fixing, corruption and bribery.

So a quick summary:

Name / Team Colours / Geographical Location / Interesting Points or Historical Aspects of the Club - the aesthetical reasons

Finances / Facilities / Expectations / Continental Competition / Current Players - the meaningful reasons

And, because i'm human, the aesthetical reasons tend to be the decisive ones in more cases than not.

Archived