+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Do You Take Into Consideration When Selecting A Team To Manage?

Banned

Default What Do You Take Into Consideration When Selecting A Team To Manage?

Now I know some people like to play career games where they start unemployed and I like to do that too sometimes but this thread is about how your mind works when selecting a team to manage on Football Manager? I'm sure some people will have some really weird reasons for selecting certain teams so let's hear them guys.

Third Team
    The difference between genius and insanity is measured only by success.

The team i support.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_G_32201 View Post
    The team i support.
    So do you just play with your favourite team?

Youth Team

Sometimes I go with Random.

Sometimes start unemployed no reputation

Sometimes start by clicking random until I see Finance Status as Rich and take the first club.

Sometimes I take over a giant team and win the leauge there and move on to the other continents taking over top team after top team.

Sometimes I'll take a lower league team to the Champion League champions.

Depends on how I'm feeling.

Part-Timer

When starting unemployed its down to the club finances, league prediction and team strength. If all those look good then I take that job. On the other hand if I have been unemployed for ages then its the first one to offer me a job

Part-Timer

If I do not plan to do Journeyman save I pick my favourite team or a team with cool names.
    If i'm doing a Journeyman save I pick teams that needs help and always end up in the end with my favourite team.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by viiralx View Post
    If I do not plan to do Journeyman save I pick my favourite team or a team with cool names.
    If i'm doing a Journeyman save I pick teams that needs help and always end up in the end with my favourite team.
    That's what I was getting at haha, I've done this in the past with teams in an obscure league. I notice they're name sounds amazing and will select them based purely on that.

Usually I look for a mid to low end table team to begin with. I try to pick a team with little to no domestic league wins and try get them to the top of the ladder. Sometimes I get fired because I genuinely (perhaps stupidly) think I can get into Europe in my first season and never do. I'm a Liverpool supporter but hardly ever start with them. I prefer to build up my rep first and hope to get a job offer from them later on.

Amateur

Mines just random, could be a game I've watched or just a look through leagues to see a team I fancy managing at the time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chicha_14 View Post
    Mines just random, could be a game I've watched or just a glance through leagues and see a team I fancy at the time.
    That's a big one for me. I always get tempted to start games with a team I've just watched on TV.

Amateur

Look at their age, the previous managers signings, what competitions they are in (if mid season job) or sometimes I'll take a lower league team to the Champion League champions, start unemployed for an interesting challenge or if I am watching football on tv and like the team I am watching and think I can do well with them!

First Team Squad Member

My first saves usually end up with the teams I support of follow in real life. After that I always start unemployed and like to manage in New Zealand to kick off my career I usually go with Auckland City.

Who wouldn't want to manage or watch a team whose ground is like that in real life.

The aim of my career is to win a continental trophy on every continent so after Auckland City I try to get employed by a team with a lot of cash, team with a cool name or a low English side I can use as a stepping stone.

Banned

That ground is awesome, Acid.

Part-Timer

I usually take part in Dafuge's challenge and ill pick a team who is local to me and who ive never played as before. So Banbury United this season.

Amateur

I've spend hours on the Good player & Team guides forum on this site, used random google sentences like " Castle Football stadium" and spend a lot of time on Wikipedia to find stuff out about clubs. Still have no clue whatsoever as to which club to manage though.. That picture does look stunning and very tempting Acid!

Amateur

My only consideration - is it Leeds United?

If it is, then I manage them!

Part-Timer
    Washington DC but my heart lies in Leicester

I always pick a newly promoted side in the BSS or the BSN. Which team? Usually the one that has the lowest rep, the most terrible players and are relegation candidates.

Amateur

for me either a newly promoted side or a team that is predicted to come midtable with no money

Part-Timer

My favourite team in real life. When i manage them, the savegame is so much more fun to me.
    Sometimes i take on another team, but the feeling when winning its not the same.

Subs Bench

I cant really say what I take into consideration when selecting a save, but I do know that I seldom manage the team I support.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    Sometimes I go with Random.

Sometimes start unemployed no reputation

Sometimes start by clicking random until I see Finance Status as Rich and take the first club.

Sometimes I take over a giant team and win the leauge there and move on to the other continents taking over top team after top team.

Sometimes I'll take a lower league team to the Champion League champions.

Depends on how I'm feeling.
    This for me.

Part-Timer

Prior to FM2011 I played with favourite team Hull City. In FM2011 I started with a foreign team that had a high reputation but no manager which was Ajax. In FM2012 I am going to start with an English team in the lower leagues with no manager and have chosen Plymouth, which with the fincancial problems will be a huge challenge and one of the biggest jobs on the game I have taken.

Amateur

Is the team's name Tottenham Hotspur?

I've tried managing other teams - and I did have a bit of fun with Villarreal once - but I can't get as involved as with the team I support in real life and players whose style I know.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Technique View Post
    That's what I was getting at haha, I've done this in the past with teams in an obscure league. I notice they're name sounds amazing and will select them based purely on that.
    Examples of cool sounding names,please?

Semi Pro

Fylkir, Korona Kielce, Malmedi Sundowns.

Part-Timer

Kaizer Chiefs sounds cool to me too

Amateur

Usually I pick a lowish team to work up the leagues, so all the legends are my teams. I picked Truro as my main save (ie holiday first season) in 2011, in 2010 I had st mirren. St mirren may be a top division team, but they were rather.. lowish in stature.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TioPatinhax View Post
    Orlando Pirates sounds cool to me.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by TioPatinhax View Post
    What about SexyP÷xyt in Finland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SexyP%C3%B6xyt

Amateur

I only start unemployed, so I get what I'm given.

Amateur

either Cardiff City/ Wrexham/Newport / Elgin City....or unemployed no reputation.... usually end up with droylsden or Woking

Amateur

yes this is so true, but leads to, toooo many saves!

Amateur

History is important as well...teams like Notthingam Forest,Torino,Leeds...

Amateur

I always start with four teams in Leauge one (England) I name the mangers as myself and the likes of Jamie Redknapp and Mark Lawrenson etc. I do my best with all four clubs and run about twenty leagues so its very interesting to see where all end up. The ultimate goal being winning the world cup and breaking as many records as possible!

Amateur

I usually take into consideration the kit colours.

Amateur

Holiday until around March then wait until someone gets sack that's doing crap then rescue them. Then the next season i make sure they are safe in terms of players, money and position in league then when they are all fine i go on to another club but if i get them relegated i get them back up and stable before leaving.

FM Superman!

Third Team

I do the Big Euro Challenge, so normally only a few teams to choose from after the holiday, but my choices are made based on Ground Capacity, Finances, Squad, Kit, Name...Also possibly some history, maybe an occasional look to see if they have Rivals as well.

Part-Timer

I look at which teams are manager-less and pick one of them...

or I start unemployed and take my chances

Amateur

If the team is Leeds United or not

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by soldierblue123 View Post
    Well obviously nobody wants to manage them, I'd take that one as a given though

Reserves

When I choose, I like it to be midtableish, without rubbish finances or that much debt, got slight dilemma as the closest thing to a local club is Dover, but as they may be top half rep (never go on demo so not sure yet) do I go with that as an aptly local starting point for a career or club that's a bit lower? Will decide when I get the game on Friday, previously it was always Ipswich first, apart from last time when it was unemployed start for a bit.

I either go with a team I support, or a team in a nice geographical location, or a team with an interesting history - I look it up on Wikipedia.

Amateur

Newcastle, which normally goes badly; Chelmsford city, my hometown team; or a team just behind the elite in Italy/Spain/Germany (i.e. Villarreal, Valencia, Leverkusen)

Amateur

I pick a side that's just been promoted into the Blue Square North/South and take it from there.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Coen View Post
    My only consideration - is it Leeds United?

If it is, then I manage them!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldierblue123 View Post

Amateur

I'm gonna really start at the bottom this time I think and pick a First Division League of Ireland team, and try to work my reputation up from there, and see where I end up.

Amateur

BSS/BSN is my normal starting grounds. used to be huge in to lewes, then staines got promoted.

Amateur

I cannot manage my favorite club due to too many biases so I usually find a lowest league team that has the following...
    Fight relegation when I arrive
    Has a team name that sounds like it can become a big club.
    Has good colors and kit.
    I also look up online and make sure the city is big enough to support a team and the are pictures show a place I would like to visit.

Scarborough town was my all time favorite to date. Stafford rangers I used the past couple years with redditch united as well.

Amateur

I decided some time ago, two to three months maybe, that my first save on FM12 would be with Toulouse. I wanted a 'project' club, a work in progress, but didn't want the hassle of getting them into the top flight - i've been there and done that and, due to the time i take while playing the game, tend not to leave myself much time to do anything once i've actually slogged my way to the top.

So to decide who to manage i put the Wikipedia pages of England, the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France, Italy and Portugal up, for the last season; ruling out the teams that had qualified already for Europe, as i wanted to do that myself and make that voyage into European football more meaningful, as well, of course, as ruling out the relegated clubs. From that there were around 10 clubs from each league to choose from. What swayed me towards Toulouse cannot be said for certain, but the chance to build a team around Moussa Sissoko, reminiscent of what my club Liverpool were able to do with a young Steven Gerrard, did play a large part - that, or the chance to have him poached by Man City after half a season ... and to use the funds to rebuild the team in my image! The French league is also at it's most interesting, with the rise of Paris Saint Germain as a superpower and a 'new' champion, in Lille. Along with Marseille, Lyon and Bordeaux there is real competition but also an avenue to establish Toulouse as a leading club within the country, something that is a little more difficult to do in England, Spain or Italy.

And of course, not many clubs play in violet. For good or bad that distinguishes them from many other clubs around the world. Their stadium is large at 38,500 (although wikipedia tells me it's 35,472?) and and the finances are secure - the facilities are not ideal, but that presents a challenge to bring the club up to the standard of the major forces in France, and is all a part of the project.

In general, the kit does influence me a fair bit as that's what you'll be seeing a lot of, especially whether the 2d dots are pretty looking or not - it disappoints me, as an aside, if memory serves, that the dots are more basic now compared to the variety of styled dots they had in FM08. Further to the colours, the geographical location of the club also plays a part, and club name. Seeing as i've been dominated by lower league saves i tend to pay little attention to the playing squads because they are so temporary. It's more important that the things which are everlasting are right in my mind. Now, if i play journeyman style then i happen to pay very little attention to anything as the club itself is temporary! The historical nature, the romanticism that some clubs hold over you, do influence: i managed Boavista for that reason - t'was before i later learned of the rationale for their demotion to the third tier, you know, those romantic ideas like match fixing, corruption and bribery.

So a quick summary:

Name / Team Colours / Geographical Location / Interesting Points or Historical Aspects of the Club - the aesthetical reasons
    Finances / Facilities / Expectations / Continental Competition / Current Players - the meaningful reasons

And, because i'm human, the aesthetical reasons tend to be the decisive ones in more cases than not.

Amateur

Always have a game with my favourite team(Celtic). When I have ago at the lower leagues around the world I only go a team that play in green or a team where the name is really cool!

Amateur

Fav. Team (MUFC) - Demo & continue.
    Relegation Challenged Team - After release
    Shorter League like in India, Australia, Denmark - After last patch
    Journeyman save without any reputation. - After last patch

Youth Team

I like lower-league teams from one of the three big nations, Italy, Spain or England. The goal is to take a club from obscurity to world domination. However, I know I can do it with any team, given enough time, so to save myself some time I normally choose a 2nd division team with a relatively large stadium. Torino, Las Palmas, Southampton for instance. I build the team around the tactic, so I don't care about team quality or finances as long as the potential is there.

Part-Timer

1st. Fave Team
    2nd. Who ever looks fun

Amateur

If i'm not managing the teams I support (Real Madrid but rarely as i prefer lower league teams, and CD Toledo that has been just made playable this season as they reached the 2nd B division in Spain) then i usually take a lower league team, either because i know it already or for the most random reasons, like the uniforms colors, past history, a given player i want to coach, etc.

For me to chose a team is a ritual, I check it in the wikipedia, read all about it's history, visit their website, lurk their fans forums if they have any, etc. That way i feel really attached to the team even before managing it.

Amateur

I have a checklist that i always use.

It has to be an english team not in the premier league and they have to be one of favourites for promotion. (To make it a bit easier in the beginning but.)
    They have to have a large stadium (At least over 20 000).
    They have to be debt free or as good as debt free and have an ok transfer budget.
    They have to have a name that I like. I also have to like the club logo, the colors and the kits.
    Then I look at amount of loan players currently at the club (The fewer the better, I like to bring in my own loanees.)

The list is designed to get me emotionally invested in the team I manage. I tend to get borded if I don't get instant success with a team that I have no emotionall attachment to, but I don't like to manage top teams from the go. I feel I have to earn the right to manage in the top flight. My goal is always to win everything with my favourite team (Man Utd) but to do that I have to earn it the hard way by getting a smallish team promoted to the Premier League and keep them there, eventually qualify to the europa league and then CL.

In FM11 that choice was Huddersfiled. They fit most of my criteria and I have now managed them for 8 season. Earning back to back promotion in my first two season. (2nd place and play off) Managed to stay up third season and have seen steady progress season after season. Managed to qualify to the CL last season and have won the League Cup, FA Cup and the Europa League in the process as well as losing a FA-Cup finale against Chelsea.

Part-Timer

Usually pick faviourite team or an up and commer, like a Malaga Paris St. germain. Adequate transfer budget but still a challenge to get them too the top.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobBRFC View Post
    Usually pick faviourite team or an up and commer, like a Malaga Paris St. germain. Adequate transfer budget but still a challenge to get them too the top.
    Fyi those two teams have Oil backing now and are both l o a d e d

They had Sugar Daddies (Underwriter) in FM11.

Youth Team

First save : Rosenborg (ie. the team I support). It usually takes me 7-8 seasons to win the Champions League and then to get bored of the save.

Evantual second save (usually with the x.2 patch): LLM-lite career, usually with a quasi random club

Final save (final patch): journeyman career starting unemployed

In that scenario there might not be much to choose from, but I usually go for clubs from nations/cities I like, so there are a lot of jobs I wouldn't accept anyway.

Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.

Are they Newcastle?

A) Yes - choose team
    B) No - pick Newcastle

Amateur

My last save was for a career game, so I picked the most local non league club to me, Staylbridge Celtic. Other times I just start with Huddersfield Town or pick areas of the country I would like to live in and then select a club from that area (Malaga being a great save in FM09). More recently I've been picking clubs from foreign cities I've visited. I had a great save with Cartagena in the Spanish leagues after visiting the city on Holiday, the same with Como in Italy. I've just got back from Valencia, but I've managed them in my last 2 career saves, so this time I'm a bit stuck for who to manage. I usually start any new FM with a top tier team, so it will be someone in either Spain, Italy or England.

One common theme is I like a challenge, I never start as Man Utd, Barcelona, Inter etc. I want to recreate a great save from FM06 where I took York City to the Champions League this year but will probably start in Spain with Malaga for the sort of challenge (money but no reputation) and it's the venue for my stag do next year!

Amateur

Cool

If its Wolves or not...

Part-Timer

I bet Plymouth would be a challenging save

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by BiggusD View Post
    Fyi those two teams have Oil backing now and are both l o a d e d

They had Sugar Daddies (Underwriter) in FM11.
    It's still a challenge to get them too the top of Europe, the budget is just to get them playing how I want them too play, bring in players I like etc. once i get used to the game properly I will start a game with my local team (Arte Et Labore)

Semi Pro

Favourite team ...then usually in England, just check:

Squad (quality, positions, age) ...quality, they don't have to be great to be honest, plenty times I've taken charge of a team media prediction say 20th-24th in the lower leagues, I prefer those teams to being a team who have the best team in the league. So quality, I usually try for mid-table/lower region.

Positions - I hate going to a team who don't have good balance, let's say they have squad of 22 .... 2GK, 1 RB, 7 CB's, 1 LB, 2 CM's, 3 RW's, 1 LW, 5 ST's.

Also age and quality linked in with that. The players positions in the squad is already **** and unbalanced, if then the only RB was a shocking 36 yr old RB or only LB was some 17 yth left back with no chance of making it, it then makes it even worse. I like to usually at least have a base to work from where I can go into a team and have of okay quality, good age (18-27 preferably, give or takes a couple years either way if quality is right) and balanced ..i.e. 1 GK, 1 RB, 3 CB, 2 LB, 3 CM, 2 RW, 2 LW, 2 ST.

Then I can go, Okay I only need GK, RB, CB, CM, 2 ST in market....and I have a full squad.

Finances also play a part, rarely play with anyone who have loan debts, although exceptions to clubs sometimes if value is worth more than debt.

Youth facilities, training facilities, ground, kit, style of players etc...

last year I enjoyed being Swansea and this year, it possibly looks like Middlesbrough. Both good clubs, who of course doing well this (boro) and last (Swansea) but in terms of FM quality, I don't think they have fantastic players each, probably top 10. Young squads, plenty of good footballers, good facilities, grounds etc..

Always have the same routine, manage an average at best club, Walsall, then manage Villa as by then I know who the better players are; then off to someone crap like Stafford to create my own glory.

Banned

A " big " stadium compared to the League where the team is.

It can result in a money saving of dozens of milions of euros once promoted to upper leagues in next 10 years.

That's somehow a cheat yes.

+ Reply to Thread