Cant get online to steam

That's what I thought.

If you are using a disc craig, you won't be able to install the game until it is released at 00:00:01 am BST on Friday morning.

IMO that's an absolute disgrace to put such an element of control on when people can play the game. I could understand if it were a game such as Call of Duty or FIFA/PES whereby people getting the game early can effectively get a head start on others they may at some point be in direct competition over, but people who have the opportunity to play FM2012 a day or two earlier than others will have absolutely no impact on somebody elses game who starts playing a day or two later.

I love FM2012 and this isn't going to make or break me buying the game but I have been far from impressed with the impact Steam has had on the game over the last year or two.

Anyway, rant over, can I ask if I have purchased a boxed version, does it allow me to install the game before Friday 00.00 and then I just simply need to activate it thereafter or will it just not let me do anything and I then have to spend a good half hour or so messing around with the installation at midnight?

IMO that's an absolute disgrace to put such an element of control on when people can play the game. I could understand if it were a game such as Call of Duty or FIFA/PES whereby people getting the game early can effectively get a head start on others they may at some point be in direct competition over, but people who have the opportunity to play FM2012 a day or two earlier than others will have absolutely no impact on somebody elses game who starts playing a day or two later.

there is so much wrong with what you have said there.

Every year we are let down by a few retailers who sell the game early. This results in pre-launch piracy and frustration for thousands who can't get their game until the release day.

This year, everyone will be getting access to the game at the same time. Not sure it could be much fairer than that.

Cheers

Matt

there is so much wrong with what you have said there.

I don't think so, it's frustration from how inconsistent in general the videogame market is. I don't see any positives in SI doing this. A large proportion of users will still purchase a boxed version, more then likely through pre order and most will have the game by Thursday. It will p**s off a huge amount of these people who can't get into playing it straight away. A lot of people won't have received their copy of the game yet (me included) but I fully expect a lot of people on these forums tomorrow complaining that they have the game and have to wait to play it.

The only positive from SI's perspective is that it will hopefully help convince more people to just download the game from Steam. I would assume this will mean for them lower production costs and higher profit element per sale on downloads as opposed to boxed versions. The problem with this being, unless Steam match the prices you can pay online, it's still a 'no deal' for me.

I love FM2012 and this isn't going to make or break me buying the game but I have been far from impressed with the impact Steam has had on the game over the last year or two.

Anyway, rant over, can I ask if I have purchased a boxed version, does it allow me to install the game before Friday 00.00 and then I just simply need to activate it thereafter or will it just not let me do anything and I then have to spend a good half hour or so messing around with the installation at midnight?

Yeah how pathetic is that, they set the release date to 21st, and you wont be able to play it until the 21st? People have been ripped off and should stop buying FM because they cant play it until it's actually released.

Steam is the most popular program to buy games, the fact that FM ended up on it comes as no surprise. You won't be able to name any popular games, that are not on steam. (With the exception of BF3, they seem to want people to go over to Origin, an EA games based digital distribution program, and THAT is an awful program to keep a hold of games, if your account is inactive for 2 years they can delete it and all the games you had bought on it, and you think Steam is bad?)

It's 2011, get up to date with technology. If you want old school then there's FM08 and below for ya.

Anyway rant about lame ranting over.

SI haven't done anything wrong essien. The retailers who've distributed it early have done the wrong thing. Imo people who order online from retailers should get it Friday and not before. Or Thursday at a push. Getting it early is all well and good but when you can't play it, well there's no point getting annoyed with SI/SEGA as it's not their fault.

Not a criticism but how do some retailers selling the game a day or two early result in pre release piracy? Surely if it was possible to pirate the game it could be done at any time?

You don't get the complete game on the disc anymore, the vital piece is missing.

Not sure if this has been asked already but is steam going to be able to handle so many people at once trying to download all of the info at the same time.

I myself have purchased the game of steam but i would say i would be very annoyed if i had to wait say 12 hours before i could play it as the servers or something went down.

Not sure if this has been asked already but is steam going to be able to handle so many people at once trying to download all of the info at the same time.

I myself have purchased the game of steam but i would say i would be very annoyed if i had to wait say 12 hours before i could play it as the servers or something went down.

Steam has handled bigger games than FM with ease

Not a criticism but how do some retailers selling the game a day or two early result in pre release piracy? Surely if it was possible to pirate the game it could be done at any time?

You need access to the code to be able to pirate it. It's easier to protect the code this way.

You don't get the complete game on the disc anymore, the vital piece is missing.
Well I don't know enough about piracy but I'll assume that makes it "unpiratable". Why should that then affect when someone can play their game if thay have been able to buy it one day before someone else? Why couldn't you just register your game whenever you buy it? I know I'm probably showing my ignorance, humour me.

You need access to the code to be able to pirate it. It's easier to protect the code this way.
Thanks for trying to make me understand but how does having access to the code on say Thursday rather than Friday make it easier?

Many thanks themadsheep2001 for the quick reply just never bought of steam before so was not sure how it would work.

thanks again

No worries. I was the same the first time i used Steam, i'm always slightly sceptical about using something for the first time. Since I was in halls it wasnt a particularly straightforward first usage. But it does its job very well overall. I'm assuming you have pre-loaded already? If not, definitely worth doing so

Well I don't know enough about piracy but I'll assume that makes it "unpiratable". Why should that then affect when someone can play their game if thay have been able to buy it one day before someone else? Why couldn't you just register your game whenever you buy it? I know I'm probably showing my ignorance, humour me.

No, it will still be pirated...just like every other game, even those with stricter and more invasive forms of DRM. What SI is trying to prevent is zero day piracy (or indeed piracy before release date) as this 'might' have a significant impact on sales as people will pirate first and then might not purchase. Preventing anyone playing (whether that's right or wrong is another debate) until release day cuts out the people who pirate because it is easier (though obviously piracy will still exist with it being free, and also in protest over using the likes of Steam).

No, it will still be pirated...just like every other game, even those with stricter and more invasive forms of DRM. What SI is trying to prevent is zero day piracy (or indeed piracy before release date) as this 'might' have a significant impact on sales as people will pirate first and then might not purchase. Preventing anyone playing (whether that's right or wrong is another debate) until release day cuts out the people who pirate because it is easier (though obviously piracy will still exist with it being free, and also in protest over using the likes of Steam).
So can anyone estimate just how much pre-release piracy SI would expect if one or two stockists sold it say one day early? Just seems a bit of an over reaction.

Good summary.

So can anyone estimate just how much pre-release piracy SI would expect if one or two stockists sold it say one day early? Just seems a bit of an over reaction.

Dependant on quite a few factors such as when it's cracked and whether the cracks circulated are working or faked.

We've seen hundreds of thousands of people playing pre-launch previously if i recall correctly.

I do understand the piracy thing I think it's just plain frustration on my part because:

(a) I'm impatient and when I receive the game I just want to get on and play it!

(b) My online master league game on PES 2012 has effectively been ruined because so many people had the game pre release date causing massive shifts in player prices by the time I had the game, leaving a select few with super teams and the rest picking up scraps.

Anyway, so with the disc version, I can install my game and then just enter the final registration at 00.00 Friday morning correct? With this being the case, can I at least get into the editor and have a look around it (i.e. compile myself a shortlist of high potential youngsters ready to scout for Friday) or is that off limits aswell?

With this being the case, can I at least get into the editor and have a look around it (i.e. compile myself a shortlist of high potential youngsters ready to scout for Friday) or is that off limits aswell?

Afraid not:( nothing unlocks until 0001 Friday.

Edit: Now clarified here by Bertie http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/278820-FM-2012-Editor

Archived