Downloading from Steam at midnight.

I am incredibly tempted to download from Steam this year, but first like I would like some reassurance from the FM community. The positives for doing this I feel are; it means I can play the game as soon as it comes out without having to leave to comfort of my own house. Which to me seems a real bonus as I am very lazy and impatient. However, I am put of by the fact I will not have a hard copy of the game. Up to now I personally have not had any problems with Steam. Although I do understand why other people have problems with it. But is buying the game from Steam "safe". I do not mean in the way that it will infect my PC with viruses. But will I always have proof that I payed for the game. This may sound a very amature and naive question but I would be grateful for some outside input. Im sure many people on here will not hold back on their feelings towards steam, I am interested to hear both sides of the arguement.

Thanks in advance.

Buying from Steam is of course safe and there'll be 'proof' that you've paid. The only issue you would have is whether you're happy not to have a hard copy. Imagine what you'd actually do with the hard copy - probably leave it in the CD Drive right? Well steam will be no different except you don't have to get off your lazy arse :D

Been on Steam for years, totally easy and worth it. In my case I can play some games on the PC and Mac, FM included. Never missed a box, games are just there all the time, either waiting to be played, or re-downloaded.

Can also pick up some super offers on other games, there is a thread in the off-topic forum which often keeps track of them

There is no argument, it's perfectly safe in the context you mean, doubly so because you can melt the disc down once it's installed, Steam will always allow you access to it from any PC anywhere in the world once it's authenticated through them.

If you need to change your computer, having all your games in steam works how in transferring all those game files to new Computer HD??

I am lucky to get 1meg download speed. That's weeks of downloading all the games I buy if I don't have the discs.

It's nice and easy if you have a disc, but do you guys back your files up from Steam off of your main hard drive or just wing it hoping your computer never gets screwed??

If you need to change your computer, having all your games in steam works how in transferring all those game files to new Computer HD??

I am lucky to get 1meg download speed. That's weeks of downloading if I don't have a disc.

It's nice and easy if you have a disc, but do you guys back your files up from Steam off of your main hard drive or just wing it hoping your computer never gets screwed??

with steam I can Log Into it on any computer and varify its me via my Emails and Security codes then re download it

I normaly just back up my save game on a pen drive after every trasnfer window Just incase

I am lucky to get 1meg download speed. That's weeks of downloading all the games I buy if I don't have the discs.

I do backups to an external HD which I have anyway for my photo and video collections. Belt and braces;)

Can you load up the game through Steam even if you happen to be off line, on a laptop for example where there is no wifi?

Yes, but you have to prepare. For example I'm going away for a couple of days soon and I expect that there will be times when I don't have decent internet. So I've picked a couple of casual games which don't take too much processing power (my laptop is more for word-processing than games which I play on my desktop) logged onto my Steam account, downloaded those games onto the laptop and switched them to "off-line mode". So those games are now on my laptop, ready to play and won't require me to connect to the internet to play. Ever. If I hadn't prepared I'd have needed to find internet to start playing: this way if I'm on the train with no internet I can just open the laptop and start playing instantly.

If, when I'm away, I found somewhere with very good internet I could also download FM12 and start playing it, but I won't because I don't think my laptop is up to FM12.

Hope that make it clear.

I'm not download from Steam, no way. First of all not having a hard copy annoys me, secondly the hard copy is 15 euro cheaper than what Steam offers, and thirdly Steam sucks IMO, and I get problems playing in offline mode (doesnt start). I done what people told me to, followed walkthrough but still get problems. Oh and there customer care sucks too.

Hard copy for me. Cheaper, has resale value and 1 less click on Steam. 3 reasons advantage over Steams digital download, which it only has advantage over a hard copy and that's not getting off your butt to go to the store. I'd rather spend that 15 euro I save from buying the hard copy on a few 6packs of Budweiser and enjoy FM12 release date more.

My 2cents....

Yes, but you have to prepare. For example I'm going away for a couple of days soon and I expect that there will be times when I don't have decent internet. So I've picked a couple of casual games which don't take too much processing power (my laptop is more for word-processing than games which I play on my desktop) logged onto my Steam account, downloaded those games onto the laptop and switched them to "off-line mode". So those games are now on my laptop, ready to play and won't require me to connect to the internet to play. Ever. If I hadn't prepared I'd have needed to find internet to start playing: this way if I'm on the train with no internet I can just open the laptop and start playing instantly.

If, when I'm away, I found somewhere with very good internet I could also download FM12 and start playing it, but I won't because I don't think my laptop is up to FM12.

Hope that make it clear.

If by prepare, you mean to download the game, you are correct. Other than that, you will not need internet to play. You do not need to switch games to offline mode or anything. If you are on the train with no internet, and you start up steam to play FM, steam will tell you that it cant connect to internet and give you two choices, "try again" or "start in offline mode". Simple, start in offline mode and play whatever game you have downloaded.

If by prepare, you mean to download the game, you are correct. Other than that, you will not need internet to play. You do not need to switch games to offline mode or anything. If you are on the train with no internet, and you start up steam to play FM, steam will tell you that it cant connect to internet and give you two choices, "try again" or "start in offline mode". Simple, start in offline mode and play whatever game you have downloaded.

To do so however, you do have to ensure you tick the remember my password box (and that your credentials are stored locally under settings) when you sign in. That way you will be able to enable offline mode at will :).

To do so however, you do have to ensure you tick the remember my password box (and that your credentials are stored locally under settings) when you sign in. That way you will be able to enable offline mode at will :).

Oh, yes you are correct, my bad :D But still, not much preparing. My point is that all of you that are sceptical about steam, really dont have to be.

Archived