Is this cheating a bit

I have been getting to grips of the demo by playing with Hamilton.

However in another save in which I have set up as Plymouth the team I intend to be, I decided to set up my tactics, set pieces etc... and a shortlist of players ready for Friday. If I skip all the news items and set up some more friendlies so it doesnt match the original game if I watch my players and tweak the tactics through a couple of friendlies to see how they play is it classed as cheating or can you justify it as if your watching videos for the team you are to inherit.

Nope. I would say you get the green light there. I've thought about doing that myself but I've managed not to. In fact other than to get used to the new UI and features (and to report a bug or two) I've hardly touched the demo. It's been a massive exercise in willpower but I want to save my enjoyment for the full game ;)

It's not cheating, but to me it definitely kills a bit of the "new game" feel...

Having a shortlist at hands and a semi-tested tactic on launch date is kinda like having found out your Christmas gifts in your parents' closet... You know what you'll like and what you won't, but where's the anticipation and the "thrill"?

The fun part of the new game is finding things out, even by trial and error, and often after heavy defeats or wasteful transfers... If you already know 3-1-3-3 doesn't work and Fantasinho has awesome attritbutes but is a royal pain in the ass and virtually unusable you'll just going to avoid both and your career has already dodged two bullets...

I use the demo to get used to the new interface (and its terrible font) and to report data issues and to propose suggestions. I don't want to spoil the game for myself

A word of warning, last year I did that with Wimbledon but in the "Real save game" my wage budget was slashed and some of my better free signings wouldnt come to me. It made it all feel a bit "wrong". This year I am starting in the demo with a Club in the same League as my chosed release day Club, with the most similar reputation, budgets, crowds etc. Signings should work out similar.

I have been getting to grips of the demo by playing with Hamilton.

However in another save in which I have set up as Plymouth the team I intend to be, I decided to set up my tactics, set pieces etc... and a shortlist of players ready for Friday. If I skip all the news items and set up some more friendlies so it doesnt match the original game if I watch my players and tweak the tactics through a couple of friendlies to see how they play is it classed as cheating or can you justify it as if your watching videos for the team you are to inherit.

sorry mate but you need to get out more!! there is a world out there, me and my work mates are laughing are arses off! seriously it's a GAME do what you want

sorry mate but you need to get out more!! there is a world out there, me and my work mates are laughing are arses off! seriously it's a GAME do what you want

lol its because I go out in the world that I want to hide in the game!!!!

It's just defining your style.

You'll go into the main game knowing what settings you need to achieve the style you are aiming for. In real life, talking to real players makes concepts a lot more tangible, whereas there will always be an element of trial and error when trying to translate that to FM. The pre-work just allows you to be better equipped to make those definitions.

For example, in FM11 when setting up my Villa team I ran a save where I constantly replayed a game against the reserves - allowing me to find which commands more realistically matched my desired approach. My biggest problem was I wanted a dynamic midfielder who broke up play defensively but would be able to burst forward alongside a tidier midfielder who essentially was there to keep play ticking over. In real-life I would give these players instructions to that effect, but in FM I need to find the settings that allow my players to follow those instructions. Theoretically, it would make sense to have a box-to-box midfielder alongside a deeplying playmaker. In FM it turned out that my players performed the duties I desired when set up as a ball-winning midfielder alongside a central midfielder.

It isn't a case of having to adapt a system to change performance, but instead of finding the commands that match the initial desired instructions. My real life instructions would've resulted in the latter, as opposed to evolving into such.

Archived