12.3 Update (FM12)... Database Update

OK, so when the inevitable 12.3 patch comes out in February, will SI consider making the database update a 'future transfers' update?

It has never happened before, and rarely been discussed, but I think it would be so much better / more realistic, if transfers made in January were set as future transfers in the game.

Retrospectively, for FM11, this would have meant when you start a new game, Torres would be at Liverpool, but with a pre-arranged transfer set for January.

Alternatively, would SI consider a start from February option, where you could start mid-season with the updated January squads, and the league table as of 1st February?

I think either option adds more realism to the game, and the latter in particular adds a significant extra element to the game - you could take on the challenge of inheriting the team sitting last in the Premier League with no transfers and only 15 or so games to turn it around.

Perhaps it's too late in the day to introduce this for FM12, but would be good to get other people's views on this.

Alternatively, would SI consider a start from February option, where you could start mid-season with the updated January squads, and the league table as of 1st February?
You could also just holiday until january ;)

And for challenges, you can always apply for a manager position at a club which isn`t doing so well by January.

It's not possible without re-coding a rather large chunk of the editor and the game itself because you can't set future loan transfers or future squad numbers. What happens if a player with a future loan transfer is sent on loan by the AI, or will he not be able to be sent on loan at all until his future loan expires which is potentially detrimental to his development? There's too many variables to take into account that would require a lot of coding to get 100% right. I tried to do it with my 11.2 update and it didn't really work very well.

I like your 'start from February' idea, but again it's more coding and more time that could be spent elsewhere.

Starting from Februrary would require a license to use real life tables and fixture lists, which SI don't have. Future transfers is possible in theory, but it means much more data entry and increases the chances of something being entered incorrectly.

I can see where you're coming from but in general it's a bad idea, simply because it would be just as unrealistic with a future transfer, even if it was possible to implement. Lord knows I'd undo such a transfer immediately as a manager, just as I personally find future transfers pointless in almost all possible instances. If I'm looking for a player, either as backup or as a first-11 guy, I need him NOW and not in 6 months. Having some guy show up in 6 months is not only undermining my possible transfer strategy (I've already spent the cash on Player X unknowingly), it's also annoying to have to suffer through half a season with a team that functions at 90%.

IMO, it's better to either have the player from the start or not have him at all: I can't plan a season with a guy that doesn't show up until it's halfway done, when I could instead find a guy that might not be a super star but certainly lives up to my own criteria for the season. There's always a season after this one and if I've done my job, I've got more cash to spend on transfers by that time, so I can get a better player by then. I'd fully support a "start from February" mode, but the licensing for that simply isn't possible at the moment. You could always bench the guy for 6 months, though, or edit in a broken leg :p

I can see where you're coming from but in general it's a bad idea, simply because it would be just as unrealistic with a future transfer, even if it was possible to implement. Lord knows I'd undo such a transfer immediately as a manager, just as I personally find future transfers pointless in almost all possible instances. If I'm looking for a player, either as backup or as a first-11 guy, I need him NOW and not in 6 months. Having some guy show up in 6 months is not only undermining my possible transfer strategy (I've already spent the cash on Player X unknowingly), it's also annoying to have to suffer through half a season with a team that functions at 90%.

IMO, it's better to either have the player from the start or not have him at all: I can't plan a season with a guy that doesn't show up until it's halfway done, when I could instead find a guy that might not be a super star but certainly lives up to my own criteria for the season. There's always a season after this one and if I've done my job, I've got more cash to spend on transfers by that time, so I can get a better player by then. I'd fully support a "start from February" mode, but the licensing for that simply isn't possible at the moment. You could always bench the guy for 6 months, though, or edit in a broken leg :p

The point is though. Once Patch 3 comes along, and you start a new game, you are set in stone with the transfers the team picked up in January, but the TARDIS of the game has set you back to July. You have more time with the players than your rela life counter-part when the game sets off...

Personally, I'd like the option to enact the January transfer window signings from the start, so that I have the choice of database, once Patch 3 comes along.

Lukekarts' idea is why I've never downloaded the data update with patch 3. Using his example, Torres started last season at Liverpool so in any of my games he wouldn't be starting the season at Chelsea.

You can download patch 3 all the fixes are save game compatible, if you need to tart a new game for whatever reason, there will be a drop down box letting you pick which database you want to play i.e. 11.0,11.1,11.2 or 11.3 if you've downloaded all the patches if you missed one or two only the ones you have will show up.

In FM11 I have the option to go back to a time before Darren Bent joined Villa.

Archived