+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Football Manager 2012 TV Advert

Default Football Manager 2012 TV Advert

For those of you in the UK, the brand new TV advert for Football Manager 2012 will be showcased for the first time on Friday, but you can see it if you are watching any of this weekend’s big matches on Sky Sports & ESPN.

However as you’re a big fan of Football Manager, the least we can do is allow you a sneak preview!

In addition to the standard 20 second ad, we are running 5 bespoke ads tailored to key fixtures. The first of these will be run just before the biggest fixture happening on Saturday. Of course, it’s Liverpool V Manchester United. The bespoke versions will only be able to watch on TV, so look out for them!

We’re proud to be partnering with one of our favourite bands in the advert – Hard-Fi. Their track – Bring It On - brings the trailer to life and is available now on iTunes as a track on their brand new album, Killer Sounds.

We hope you like it.

The standard ad will feature in the below live games this weekend and runs until 27th November across Sky Sports:

14th October 2011 Friday 1945 Doncaster v Leeds Championship
    15th October 2011 Saturday 1245 Liverpool v Manchester Utd Premier League
    15th October 2011 Saturday 1715 Everton V Chelsea Premier League
    15th October 2011 Saturday 1720 Portsmouth v Barnsley Championship
    16th October 2011 Sunday 1330 Manchester City v Aston Villa Premier League
    16th October 2011 Sunday 1600 Newcastle v Tottenham Premier League

Special Adverts (right before kick-off) can also be seen:

23rd Oct: The Manchester Derby
    29th Oct: Chelsea v Arsenal
    20th Nov: Chelsea v Liverpool
    27th Nov: Liverpool v Manchester City
    Last edited by Bertie BG; 18-10-2011 at 15:30.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie BG View Post
    16th October 2011 Sunday 1330 Manchester City v Aston Villa Premier League
    That awkward moment when they realise this is a Saturday 3 o clock game...

Amateur

As I said in the thread I made, it's bloody awful.

Third Team

The worst one so far ever when it comes to FM. Trailer for FM 2008 still the best one IMO.
    www.fmbosnia.com - The game starts here

Banned

Just watched it, wow, how awful. That must've took what, 5 seconds to come up with?

I blame Sega. ;)

Moderator and Technical Support

In truth, it is pretty uninspiring.

Reserves

Much as I expect the obligatory post to appear soon defending it, I don't exactly feel that that advert compelled me any more strongly to buy the game.

Amateur

All this trailer shows you is what other people think of it... it doesn't give the viewers a chance for them to judge it. Theres no gameplay or anything relating to the game in it.

Seriously, you can do better than this.

Do note that this isn't intended to be a "trailer", we're not having one of those this year.

This is designed as a quick 20 second TV advert and as such had different criteria for when it was being built.

Amateur

Massive disappointment compared to previous ones.

Amateur

Do note that this isn't intended to be a "trailer", we're not having one of those this year.

This is designed as a quick 20 second TV advert and as such had different criteria for when it was being built.
    The "advert" doesn't even show you what it's about. A football pitch and a Football Manager 2012 box at the end - that's all it is. It's terrible to be honest.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Football_Manager08 View Post
    All this trailer shows you is what other people think of it... it doesn't give the viewers a chance for them to judge it. Theres no gameplay or anything relating to the game in it.

Seriously, you can do better than this.
    The TV advert has never had any game footage in it I don't think, that's not what it's for.

Amateur

It is indeed less than average.

Amateur

Blimey....

Part-Timer

Atleast you got a good comedian to do the voice-over!(I think!?) Sounds alot like Greg Davies.

I have really enjoyed the FM12 Demo, and this advert feels so limp in comparison to how great the demo is. That is just my personal opinion. But then Im no advertising expert, TV advertising is incredibly expensive, and theres only so much you can do in 20 odd seconds...

Youth Team

I prefer the Sky Bet advert..

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Whippy View Post
    This!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring back the 2005 Advert!!

Part-Timer

Probably the worst of all FM ads & trailers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rikulec View Post
    Probably the worst of all FM ads & trailers.
    Agreed 100%

Semi Pro
    1 year, 2 trophies. 3 more in 4 years - what dya reckon?

OMG, that is rubbish, worse than anything BGS came up with. Last years was Epic by comparison. Glad the game is so fantastic though.

Amateur

Have to say very poor. Doubt your get any new sales from this advert alone! And anyone who plays FM will already know that it's coming out. Airing during these games on skysports, how much did that cost......what a waste of money IMO! Sorry SI but it is just that poor!

Amateur

This advert is pretty dreadful. It's uninspiring and dull and gives the opinion of everyone else instead of giving the viewer a chance to make their own opinion of it! You cant even read the quotes properly either. Imagine if you were a viewer sitting there and have never played football manager before and you saw that advert, would you rush out and go and buy it......i doubt it very much.

Amateur

I'm going to have to agree with the general mood - the advert didn't really fill me with any extra excitement about the game to be honest. I'm pretty much going to buy it anyway, since the demo was fun (although only after 12.3 is released), but had I not played the demo, the advert would have done nothing either way, other than confirming the existence of the game (there's not much punch in those twenty seconds).

Also, I've seen a few references to a SkyBet advert that people jokingly refer to as an FM advert. Does anyone have a link to it, or have I missed the boat? (EDIT: Apparently there's a revolutionary engine for searching for things on the internet. Who knew?)
    Last edited by battlescar; 13-10-2011 at 19:48.

Youth Team

If anyone can't be bothered to search: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVwvcdYg-g

Have a look..

Reserves

If I wasn't a fan and ordered the game already, that ad would make me less inclined to buy it. I hate ads that tell you nothing about the product. Well unless it's as rip-roaringly hilarious as the shepherd FM ads in days of yore.

OMG: just clicked the link to the Skybet ad (I dont have Sky) - BRILLIANT!!!!!!
    Last edited by phnompenhandy; 13-10-2011 at 20:29.

Amateur
    Conspiracy theoretician and a bad guesser, autor of abstract and woolly critiques

advert is horrible!

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by malikoi View Post
    Atleast you got a good comedian to do the voice-over!(I think!?) Sounds alot like Greg Davies.
    It's Ralph Ineson. "Finchy" from The Office.

Amateur

Don't see anything wrong with it. They're trying to sell the game, it does that.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
    Don't see anything wrong with it. They're trying to sell the game, it does that.
    If I was new to the game, I wouldn't really see what that advert was selling me. If I was a lapsed fan, it wouldn't whet my appetite.

First Team Squad Member

It wasn't very good but I don't particularly care.

I'll be buying the game and I couldn't care less for an advert.

Amateur

Watching that puts me off wanting to buy the game!!
    If the advert is that bad, how bad is the game??

Fifa, CoD, most game adverts make up your mind if you want to buy the game.

Reserves

Its not great, but let's be fair, FM's hardly the most exciting game to try and sell with 20 seconds. Most game adverts tend to show off the amazing graphics, which isn't really what FM is about.

Amateur

That is a hell of a bad advert. Who on earth is going to watch that and think "Yeah that looks good"? You dont have any idea what it is till the picture of the box and thats hardly awe inspiring.

Shame as the game is very good this year and very polished.

Part-Timer

So it's basically a reminder that the game is out soon. No more, no less. Probably does what it's intended to do.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalFan7 View Post
    It wasn't very good but I don't particularly care.

I'll be buying the game and I couldn't care less for an advert.
    To be honest, this pretty much sums up how I feel. I used to buy the game when there was no TV advert so it makes no difference to me whether there's one or not, or how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Its not great, but let's be fair, FM's hardly the most exciting game to try and sell with 20 seconds. Most game adverts tend to show off the amazing graphics, which isn't really what FM is about.
    Agreed, but I do think a bit of imagination wouldn't have gone a miss. Last year's was good for what it is intended to do.

Part-Timer

to be honest.. that looks like something a student would do as a project.. Its that awful. - truthfully the worst football advert I've ever seen. NOTHING in it says Football Manager for me.. (except the box at the end)

HOW did this happen?

*Still hoping this was just a joke and the real advert is published soon*

Part-Timer

Have to agree here, unfortunately. That was just bad.

Part-Timer

To be honest I find bit awful. Also I'm always suspicious about films or games that fill the previews, trailers and covers that put small phrases about praise reviews.

It generally gives me the wrong message as it was the real intention.

I'm not film student, but how expensive is it in picking up a small video camera, capture some footage of friendly match between all the guys at SI playing football and edit on Imovie, Premier or Final Cut pro and make a preview or trailer?

Amateur

I'm surprised there isn't a clip of a 3d match showing a goal being scored during an evening game with flares and flags in the crowd as if it's a big european night or champions cup final or something....similar in fashion to the fifa game ads. Have a bit of text challenging you to take "your" team to glory....

Amateur

It aint the greatest of 'adverts' you'll ever see but it's not the worst either...

If it's aimed at getting "new" customers, it'll fail...epically.

If it's just a reminder to those that know about FM already...it'll probably do the trick...

So what anyway, I've already bought it and will every year, so roll on 21/10/11

Amateur

Really sad to not be seeing one of those epic trailers that always made me REALLY excited about the game, like 2008, 2009 and 2011 trailers.

This might just be an ad for TV but hell I would have loved to see another one in the style of the others I listed above.

Semi Pro

All that said, I think the song choice is good.

Third Team
    Pro-consumer, anti-DRM. Never be satisfied with any answer. Dig until you drop.

You know an advert is bad when it reads like a shameless pat on the back for the company, but doesn't advertise the product.

Apple doesn't advertise its products by listing the awards it has won in the last year.

Reserves

Bad advert, but it's not like SI and Sega could have shown their fantastic 3D match engine graphics to impress the general public.

Part-Timer

I have to say the TV advert is a let down, over the last few day I have heard the radio advert on talk sport, I thought that was the voice over for the TV advert but I was wrong. the radio advert is much better.

Semi Pro

As a quick fire TV advert it does what it needs to do, remind people of its release date.

Could have been so much better though, although I think FM has got to the stage where people will just buy it regardless and everyone already knows about FM and the FM brand so no big advert needed just a quick reminder.

Purpose served but not a thrilling advert.

Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.

It's fine?

Nothing spectacular or anything, but its nowhere near as bad as people here are making out.

Part-Timer

I've just seen the 2005 and 2008 adverts and they are both nice to watch

Third Team

The reviewers chosen are strange, only one credible one.

I did think it was bad, but then again, it does the job. It's a shame it's not one of those epic trailers that we've had before. Perhaps the Sky Bet ad has taken the shine off things?

That said, at least it wasn't this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoPjjhtwKKo

Semi Pro
    You're supposed to be looking over there -->

I don't see what all the fuss is about… I don't think it's great, but it's not some hideous abomination as people are making out. It does what it's supposed to do, I guess.

Still, I would have thought the voiceover could say a little more than just "the world's best selling management game is back <10 seconds of silence> welcome to the greatest job on Earth, etc.", I think it'd be better with that big gap filled by something more than just the music.

It doesn't seem as awful as a lot of people are saying, but I can't imagine it's gonna grab people's attention so much either.

Amateur

I'm very disappointed that the only game I play is represented like this in the world, this year had a lot of features that could be easily converted in a fantastic commercial.

Manage anywhere, anytime feature: A country boy who is traveling over the world and witnessing all the different approaches in football. (Being half Belgian and Italian, the way that the commentators celebrate a goal is immensely different)

More animations: Could be linked with Maradona (hand of God), with better details you see more.

The new tone: A parody on teamtalks, Trappatoni being the funniest :d.

Brand new tutorial: A father that is learning his Son to play (So that somebody who didn't bought the game previously because it's was too overwhelming thinks, "Wow, now I can finally buy this game.")

Maybe SI should make a competition for creating the best online advert?
    Last edited by fabioke; 14-10-2011 at 13:58.

Reserves

I'd say It looks bad, but then I thought that Is what adverts aim for these days. should of just grabbed a fat guy and made him sing a couple of football chants

Semi Pro

If you are going to do something then at least do it properly. That is embarrassing!

Semi Pro

Simple advert for a simple job - don't get too carried away, there's plenty of other activity.

Amateur

Best advert was the "If" one.

Amateur
    I had a wheelbarrow, the wheel fell off. FORZA NOTTS! FORZA JUVE!

i hate ads like that , 5 stars says blah blah, smarmy self self-congratulatory bull, stating look how good every one says we are with out telling people a god damn thing about it

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
    Best advert was the "If" one.
    My favourite too.

First Team Squad Member

I don't think its selling the game, its just advertising a release date?

That said I'd have thought something punchy, crisp and hard hitting is what you want in a trailer......this is just an animated magazine advert. Wasted opportunity I think

NEXT YEAR.....SEGA should invite / run a competition to use the FM gamers genius. I'm sure a much better result would occur

Banned
    when the mods message me it makes me want to put my fist through a wall

good god what a piece of work that was

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Whippy View Post
    Even although its been well discussed and we all know its for Skybet....I still relate the Skybet ad to FM....very clever from Skybet in my book, I think they done it on purpose!

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Football_Manager08 View Post
    The "advert" doesn't even show you what it's about. A football pitch and a Football Manager 2012 box at the end - that's all it is. It's terrible to be honest.
    adverts never show what stuff is about. are you even watching tv? :,)

Semi Pro

It has you all talking about it - surely doing its job?

Amateur

I agree with You, it is really weak comparing to the last years tv ad - which I really liked and was waiting for something even better this year.

However I was wondering whether it wasn't like this:
    They concentrated on making the game very good in 95% and 5% on the tv ad.
    So if the game is ready and the bugs are fixed then I don't care about the tv ad

I preordered the FM2012 even though I said I wouldn't do that after 2011... Damn I'm addicted ;)

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by kccircle View Post
    It has you all talking about it - surely doing its job?
    We all bought the game so thats moot.

Semi Pro
    1 year, 2 trophies. 3 more in 4 years - what dya reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPompey View Post
    I don't think its selling the game, its just advertising a release date?

That said I'd have thought something punchy, crisp and hard hitting is what you want in a trailer......this is just an animated magazine advert. Wasted opportunity I think

NEXT YEAR.....SEGA should invite / run a competition to use the FM gamers genius. I'm sure a much better result would occur
    I shouldnt think there are too many habitual purchasers of the game who are not aware of 21/10/11. Anyone else need the "advertising" to tempt them to buy - which this fails on.

Could be a masterstoke though,...make a cheap Ad, air it during big matches, find it scheduled next to the skybet Ad - bingo, those who dont realise think it is s two part FM AD.

Banned

That is utterly dreadful. Bland and unimaginative. Clearly no-one could be bothered this year.

Part-Timer

Best game in the world... with the worst advert!

Reserves

Yeah its a bit pants really, but i dont think FM is the kinda game that needs a trailer to show what its all about.

Part-Timer
    FMNorthAmerica (Louisville,KY) MLS questions? Send me a message and I'll help you out if I can!

With MLS Cup 2011 coming up in a little over a month or so, have you guys given any thought to a quick spot before/after the game, or even during the halftime show? Might be a good way to drum up some interest across the pond...

Amateur

pretty basic; I agree with people holding off on the outrage, because really it's not meant to be some big cinematic thing. I do think it lacks any real reason to make people get up and do something on the spot, though. It would be a perfectly servicable ad if after all the reviewer comments and stuff you said 'Don't believe them? Go to www.footballmanagerdemo.com and try it yourself' .
    If you made a dedicated website for the demo, you could give people watching an advert something concrete to do as a response to the advert (esp if they're sitting at home watching the football with a laptop on their lap to while away the pre-game punditing) and you can also track the success of the advert by counting the number of hits you got on the demo-dedicated website in the minutes after broadcast.
    So yes, I have no beef with the advert, but I think for it to be effective it ought to be linked a little more directly into the other promotional stuff you'd do to release a game...

and I'd register the footballmanagerdemo domain ahead of next year. You'd be surprised how many more people will respond to a 'go to this specific website to find out more' than will hear about the product and put the tiniest bit of effort into researching it without being told explicitly where to go. People are basically sheep with delusions of competence... if you want them to try the demo, you need to say 'the demo is HERE'.
    Last edited by RazvanRat; 16-10-2011 at 07:31.

Semi Pro

Should have got Ray Winstone, talking about West Ham. Then it would have been great!

Amateur

Poor adv, but the game is amazing.

Youth Team

Not the most enthralling advert ever. Required one guy and After Effects and a voice over.

But I understand that SI don't have the same resources as say Sky, or a betting shop. Perfectly understandable that you'd keep it within a low budget.

People who know about the game will be informed of the new game - they probably already know. People that want to find out more will find out more.

The advert is efficient, not spectacular or anything.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    But I understand that SI don't have the same resources as say Sky, or a betting shop. Perfectly understandable that you'd keep it within a low budget.
    Surely SEGA pays for it, as they are the publisher. Doesn't really matter though, you don't need millions to create a good TV ad.

Part-Timer

I don't see what's so bad about it? It's short, simple, and you know what it's about because it says "the worlds best selling management game is back", then not much later it says "welcome to the greatest job on earth...football manager 2012", plus the music is decent. Not as bad as many here are making out

Semi Pro

Hard Fi ffs

tbf I don't think the ad's as bad as is being made out. Seems aimed at just being a gentle reminder that FM's about to come out.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfDude View Post
    I don't see what's so bad about it? It's short, simple, and you know what it's about because it says "the worlds best selling management game is back", then not much later it says "welcome to the greatest job on earth...football manager 2012", plus the music is decent. Not as bad as many here are making out
    I just felt it lacked imagination, which, to be fair, is something you could say about a lot of ads. Past FM ads have been really quite good, but this one didn't really do anything.

Part-Timer

They're track? They are what? Is that some new super cool phrase like "that FM is so track!" or did you really mean "their" ?

oh the ad... my exact reaction...

"what a crap advert"

I think you need a new creative team on that brief guys (and a new English teacher for Bertie ;) )

Amateur

To be fair, when watching the TV ad online I thought it was pretty meh - but when I actually saw it on TV (Newcastle v Spurs game) it actually looked fine and made more sense to do it that way. The music helps you get into it, and does the job IMO.

Amateur

Next years one should be that famous Angry German kid video off youtube and end it with a black screen and the the slogan- "Yes its that time of year again"

Quote Originally Posted by Lazaru5 View Post
    They're track? They are what? Is that some new super cool phrase like "that FM is so track!" or did you really mean "their" ?

oh the ad... my exact reaction...

"what a crap advert"

I think you need a new creative team on that brief guys (and a new English teacher for Bertie ;) )
    For the record, I didn't actually write the text and would never make such an amateur mistake

Have corrected the OP!

Part-Timer

For the record, I didn't actually write the text and would never make such an amateur mistake

Have corrected the OP!
    tbf Bertie, SI have mixed up "effect" and "affect" for 20 years, "they're", "there" and "their" are light years away from being mastered
    Last edited by Lazaru5; 18-10-2011 at 21:33. Reason: cos I can... :p

Amateur

But we will all still buy it !

sooooo i dont see the problem to be honest. Most people who play Fm know what it is about and dont need a 2 min advert telling us, 20 seconds for the advert is Quite possibly a great way to remind u its out soon.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by RossArsenal View Post
    But we will all still buy it !

sooooo i dont see the problem to be honest. Most people who play Fm know what it is about and dont need a 2 min advert telling us, 20 seconds for the advert is Quite possibly a great way to remind u its out soon.
    1, no "we" won't "all still buy it" but that's another thread ;)

2, the problem I have with the advert, from a creative angle, is it doesn't tell the viewer anything except the latest version of FM is out on Friday. An advert by it's very nature should be designed to increase sales and exposure by telling people why they need this product in a memorable way. FM's advert doesn't do that, therefore IMHO it's crap! A memorable advert is one that people talk about, not just at the time it's on but at work, down the pub, on the telephone, the famed "word of mouth" holy grail. I don't see many people talking about the FM advert in the same way...

+ Reply to Thread