The FM2012 Norwich City Thread: For those who just can't get enough

0,,10355~3206516,00.gif

[video=youtube_share;lZqVjXpkAdY]

Norwich City F.C. was formed following a meeting at the Criterion Cafe in Norwich on 17 June 1902 and then a sub meeting occurred on 2 July 1902 by a group of friends led by three former Norwich CEYMS players, Robert Webster, Joseph Cowper and Brad Skelly, and played their first competitive match against Harwich & Parkeston, at Newmarket Road on 6 September 1902. Following a FA Commission, the club was ousted from the amateur game in 1905, deemed a professional organisation. Later that year Norwich were elected to play in the Southern League and with increasing crowds, they were forced to leave Newmarket Road in 1908, moving to The Nest, a disused chalk pit. The club's original nickname was the Citizens, although this was superseded by 1907 by the more familiar Canaries.This was because the breeding and keeping of the birds was popular at this time. During the First World War, with football suspended and facing spiralling debts, City went into voluntary liquidation on 10 December 1917.

The club was officially reformed on 15 February 1919 – a key figure in the events was a Mr C Watling, father of future club Chairman, Geoffrey Watling. and when, in May 1920, The Football League formed a third Division, Norwich joined the Third Division for the following season. Their first league fixture, against Plymouth Argyle, on 28 August 1920, ended in a 1–1 draw. The club went on to endure a mediocre decade, finishing no higher than eighth but no lower than 18th. The following decade proved more successful for the club with a club-record victory, 10–2, over Coventry City and promotion as champions to the Second Division in the 1933–34 season under the management of Tom Parker. With crowds continuing to rise, and with the Football Association raising concerns over the suitability of The Nest, the club considered renovation of the ground, but ultimately decided on a move to Carrow Road. The inaugural match, held on 31 August 1935, against West Ham United, ended in a 4–3 victory to the home team and set a new record attendance of 29,779. The biggest highlight of the following four seasons was the visit of King George VI to Carrow Road on 29 October 1938. However, the club was relegated to the Third Division at the end of the season. The league was suspended the following season as a result of the outbreak of the Second World War and did not resume until the 1946–47 season. City finished this and the following season in 21st place, the poor results forcing the club to apply for re-election to the league. The club narrowly missed out on promotion under the guidance of manager Norman Low in the early 1950s, but following the return of Tom Parker as manager, Norwich finished bottom of the football league in the 1956–57 season.

The 1958–59 season saw Norwich reach the semi-final of the FA Cup as a Third Division side, defeating two First Division sides on the way: Tottenham Hotspur and Matt Busby's Manchester United. In the 1959–60 season, Norwich were promoted to the Second Division after finishing second to Southampton, and achieved a fourth place finish in the 1960–61 season. In 1962 Ron Ashman guided Norwich to their first trophy, defeating Rochdale 4–0 on aggregate in a two-legged final to win the League Cup.

Sixth place in the league was the closest the club came to promotion to the First Division during the 1960s, but after winning the division in the 1971–72 season under manager Ron Saunders, Norwich City reached the highest level of English football for the first time. They made their first appearance at Wembley Stadium in 1973, losing the League Cup final 1–0 to Tottenham Hotspur. Relegation to the Second Division in 1974 resulted in the resignation of Saunders and the appointment of John Bond.  A highly successful first season saw promotion back to the First Division and another visit to Wembley, again in the League Cup final, this time losing 1–0 to Aston Villa. Bond resigned during the 1980–81 season and the club were relegated, but bounced back the following season after finishing third.

The 1984–85 season was of mixed fortunes for the club; under Ken Brown's guidance, they reached the final of the Milk Cup at Wembley Stadium, having defeated Ipswich Town in the semi-final. In the final, they beat Sunderland 1–0, but in the league both Norwich and Sunderland were relegated to the second tier of English football. This made Norwich the first English club to win a major trophy and suffer relegation in the same season; something which was not matched until Birmingham City also suffered relegation the season they won the League Cup 26 years later.

Norwich were also denied their first foray into Europe with the ban on English clubs after the Heysel Stadium disaster. City bounced back to the top flight by winning the Second Division championship in the 1985–86 season. High league placings in the First Division in 1986–87 and 1988–89 would have been enough for UEFA Cup qualification, but the ban on English clubs remained. They also had good cup runs during his period, reaching the FA Cup semi-finals in 1989 and again in 1992.

During 1992–93, the inaugural season of the Premier League, Norwich City led the league for most of the season,[25] before faltering in the final weeks to finish third behind the champions, Manchester United, and Aston Villa. The following season Norwich played in the UEFA Cup for the first time, losing in the third round to Inter Milan, but defeating Bayern Munich. Winning 2–1, Norwich are the only English team to beat Bayern Munich in the Olympic Stadium. Mike Walker quit as Norwich City manager in January 1994, to take charge of Everton and was replaced by 36-year-old first team coach John Deehan who led the club to 12th place in the 1993–94 season in the Premier League. The club were relegated to the First Division the following season. Shortly before relegation, Deehan resigned as manager and his assistant Gary Megson took over until the end of the season. Martin O'Neill, who had taken Wycombe Wanderers from the Conference to the Second Division with successive promotions, was appointed as Norwich City manager in the summer of 1995. He lasted just six months in the job before resigning after a dispute with chairman Robert Chase over money to strengthen the squad. Soon after, Chase stepped down after protests from supporters, who complained that he kept selling the club's best players and was to blame for their relegation. Chase's majority stakeholding was bought by Geoffrey Watling.

English television cook Delia Smith and husband Michael Wynn-Jones took over the majority of Norwich City's shares from Watling in 1996, and Mike Walker was re-appointed as the club's manager. He was unable to repeat the success achieved during his first spell and was sacked two seasons later with Norwich mid-table in the First Division. Nigel Worthington took over as Norwich City manager in December 2000 following an unsuccessful two years for the club under Bruce Rioch and then Bryan Hamilton. He had been on the coaching staff under Hamilton who resigned with the club 20th in the First Division and in real danger of relegation to the third tier of English football for the first time since the 1960s.  Worthington avoided the threat of relegation and, the following season, led City to a playoff final at the Millennium Stadium, which Norwich lost against Birmingham City on penalties.

The 2003–04 campaign saw the club win the First Division title, finishing eight points clear of second-placed West Bromwich Albion and returned to the top flight for the first time since 1995. For much of the 2004–05 season however, the club struggled and, despite beating Manchester United 2–0 and Newcastle United 2–1 towards the end of the season, a last day 6–0 defeat away to Fulham condemned them to relegation. A mediocre season followed in The Championship as the club finished in ninth despite hopes of bouncing straight back up to the top flight, and as results in the 2006–07 season went against City, the pressure mounted on manager Nigel Worthington, culminating with his sacking on 1 October 2006, directly after a 4–1 defeat at the hands of Championship rivals Burnley. On 16 October 2006, Norwich held a press conference to reveal that former City player Peter Grant had left West Ham United to become the new manager,and in February 2007, Grant replaced assistant Doug Livermore with his fellow Scot, Jim Duffy. Grant's side struggled for most of the season and worse was to follow. Norwich made a terrible start to the 2007–08 season, with only two wins by mid October; following a 1–0 defeat at fellow-strugglers Queens Park Rangers, Peter Grant left the club by "mutual consent" on 9 October 2007. On 30 October 2007, former Newcastle United manager Glenn Roeder was confirmed as Grant's replacement. Roeder, hired with the goal to keep Norwich in the Championship, managed to do so with a 3–0 win over Queens Park Rangers, Norwich's penultimate game of the season.

In the early afternoon of 14 January 2009 it was announced that Roeder had been relieved of his first team duties after 60 games in charge, and just 20 victories. A week later, Bryan Gunn was appointed as manager until the end of the season, but he was unable to prevent the club from being relegated on 3 May 2009, after a 4–2 defeat away at already relegated, Charlton Athletic. Following their relegation, their first game of the season resulted in a shock 7–1 home defeat against East Anglian rivals Colchester United. This was the club's heaviest ever home defeat, succeeding a record that had stood since 1946. Two fans entered the pitch and ripped up their season tickets after just 22 minutes when the team were already 4–0 down,[52] and Gunn was sacked six days later.

On 18 August 2009 Paul Lambert was announced as the new manager, leaving his post at Colchester, and nine months later led Norwich to promotion back to the Championship as League One Champions, after a single season in League One. The following season saw Norwich promoted to the Premier League, finishing second in the table behind QPR and completing the first back-to-back promotions from the 3rd tier to the 1st since Manchester City in 2000.

NORWICH CITY FC have had perhaps the most turbulent three seasons of any football league club. Relegated to League One in the 2008/2009 season, manager Bryan Gunn was removed and replaced with a manager many now consider to be one of the best young managers in the profession; Paul Lambert. Even more bizarre was the way in which Lambert became boss. As manager of Colchester Utd, it was Paul Lambert who presided over Norwich City's 7-1 opening day massacre that cost Gunn his job. A few weeks later, Lambert was sat in the manager's seat at Carrow Road, joined by faithful assistant and former City favourite Ian Culverhouse and "head of football operations" Gary Karsa.

From there, Norwich have not looked back. Lambert masterminded the diamond formation that allowed mercurial playmaker Wes Hoolahan the freedom to operate to his strengths. Strong forward Grant Holt has scored goal after goal and attracted the adulation of the Norwich faithful. They became League One champions at a canter, overtaking Leeds and remaining at the top since. In the following summer, astute signings like John Ruddy, Andrew Crofts and Andrew Surman added quality to an already talented squad. And with Lambert still at the helm, Norwich fans were quietly confident they could upset a few.

No one expected what eventually happened. Against Portsmouth, a Simeon Jackson goal earnt Norwich a guaranteed second place finish behind Champions QPR. Norwich were promoted to the Premiership. Winning League One, especially after the start we'd had - was some achievement. Back to back promotions, however, eclipsed it entirely and earnt Paul Lambert a place in the hall of fame at Norwich, and admiring glances from many clubs across the land.

Now, Norwich face a mission which if accomplished will once again set a new standard at Carrow Road. Survival in the Premiership would be Paul Lambert's greatest accomplishment. Having assembled a young squad, and augmented it with more young talent like Steve Morison, Daniel Ayala, Elliot Bennett, Anthony Pilkington, Ritchie de Laet and Kyle Naughton on loan, James Vaughan and Bradley Johnson - none of whom over the age of 28 - Lambert has gone for enthusiasm, something to prove and potential over experience. In doing so, Lambert has gone against conventional wisdom.

If you choose to take over Norwich, you'll have at your hands a team of potentially able young players. If you can keep this side in the Premiership and then develop this team in the mould Paul Lambert has created, you will have a team capable of playing good football at a very high standard.

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers

John Ruddy - A young English keeper who was bought for peanuts from Everton. Since then, he's proven to be a capable if very occasionally mistake-prone keeper. In my view, Ruddy is good enough to be your number one in a side fighting relegation.

Declan Rudd - Rudd is considered one of the great hopes for English keepers. Possessing all the attributes to be a good keeper, Rudd is having more and more responsibility in the squad, now playing the occasional league game and most cup games. As a back up, he's probably just about capable, but does he do enough to push Ruddy? Not sure myself.

Jed Steer - On loan at Yeovil in real life, I would be tempted to send him out on loan in the game as well. As potentially able as Declan Rudd, but not ready, in my mind, to play third choice.

Overall, Norwich are very lucky to start with two of the most potentially able goalkeepers in the game. I would be tempted to get a third keeper in, perhaps an older one capable of tutoring the young lads, and let either Rudd or Steer out on loan.

Defenders

Right Backs

Russell Martin - A capable offensive full back who's consistent performances has attracted Scotland international recognition. Martin was an essential part of the team last year, but is probably going to struggle to get ahead of Kyle Naughton.

Kyle Naughton - Loaned from Spurs, Naughton is a capable young full back and has already been one of my top performers in the demo as I like to play with wing backs. I think he'll be a very important player for Norwich to start with.

Left Backs

Marc Tierney - Brought from Colchester again for a pittance, Tierney has taken the left back position from capable and dependable Adam Drury and kept it ever since. In the game, he's a decent enough left back, but will probably require replacing after a season or so.

Adam Drury - Starts transfer listed, but if, like me, you can't find any better, is a reasonable back up. And if you're any fan of Norwich you would give Norwich's most loyal player his tenth year!

Center Halves

Leon Barnett - I am at odds with the Norwich researcher about Barnett. To me, he is far better than represented in the game. In the game, he's not worth the wages paid. Sell. You can get £1.5mil for him too.

Ritchie de Laet - On loan from Manchester Utd and a reasonable center half. But his versatility makes him a great asset. Can play on either flank as a full back as well as his natural central position. Keep him simply for that.

Zak Whitbread - Can play as a sweeper and is ranked as the second best defender behind de Laet. Fairly strong, fairly good technically and fairly dependable, he's a reasonable center half to have on board.

Elliot Ward - Injured at the start, but your most technically capable defender. I'm keeping him around to offer someone who can play the ball out of defence.

Daniel Ayala - Young, potentially able and good statistics all round. He's good enough in a bind, and can be tutored and trained to be whatever you want. One for the future.

Overall, the defence in my view requires a little strengthening. I'll be looking for a good, solid central defender who will not only be able to play out of the defence but tutor up Daniel Ayala to play alongside him. I may also look for a left back, if funding permits it.

Midfielders

Wingers

Elliot Bennett - Brought from Brighton, Bennett offers youth, width and pace. His technical ability and versatility will make him an important part of the team.

Anthony Pilkington - Potentially capable winger much in the mould of Bennett, Pilkington is perhaps not ready for first team football yet, but definitely deserving of a space in the squad to offer an alternative to Bennett.

Wide Midfielders

Andrew Surman - An important player from last season, Surman offers a good all round creative influence. And able to play full back and wing back as well, Surman could be an important player, if used right.

Simon Lappin - A stalwart and one of the players from the pre-Lambert era, Lappin is another who can play anywhere down the left from full back to left midfielder. Not as capable as Surman however, I've taken to putting him on the transfer list. You may wish to keep him around, however.

Central Midfielders

Bradley Johnson - Selected by my assistant as "one of the best in the squad", Johnson is technically capable but frustrating to me so far. His tendency to shoot from a distance has ended potentially decent build up. However, his strength and good all round ability means I want to try and include him in my first eleven.

Korey Smith - A hard working, good all rounder, Korey Smith has done well as a viable alternative to Johnson. He has done well breaking into the box and has scored a few goals. Will he hack it in the Premiership? One day, definitely. Right away? Not so sure. I have swatted away a few cheeky offers of a loan, however. I want him in my squad.

Defensive Midfielders

Andrew Crofts - The strong tackling, hard defensive midfielder who will sit as the anchor in front of your defence. The complete opposite to...

David Fox - The playmaker. Not going to win you many tackles, but able to ping the ball around like none other than Wes.

The midfield for me is probably the strongest of the three areas of the team. You've got it all covered; strong midfielders like Crofts and Johnson, technically capable midfielders like David Fox and Andrew Surman, quick and agile wingers like Bennett and Pilkington, and the up and comer, Korey Smith. Does it need improving? You may want another to play on the right - Norwich seem to favour that left wing more than the right. But I'd argue that's far from priority.

The Wessi

Wes Hoolahan - What can you say about Wes? Defensively inept but the ability to play between the midfield and attack, Wes is the first name on the teamsheet for me. The question is - where do you play him? How do you build him into the team? Or do you build the team around him? The choice, as they say, is yours.

The Strikers

Grant Holt - Fans favourite and captain, Holt has strength in abundance and has been given some useful PPMs in this edition. Will he make your starting 11? He does mine. But I haven't had the chance to try James Vaughan out yet, who could yet dislodge Holt from his place so far.

Steve Morison - A good alternative to Holt, Morison has less strength but more agility. I've played him alongside Holt and I like him. He's shown himself to be a good, different alternative or partner.

James Vaughan - I'm yet to play Vaughan because of his injuries. He looks, however, to be a hard working striker capable of using his pace and work rate to score goals. I want him to grow, too and believe he has the potential to do that/

Simeon Jackson - I have a plan with Simeon. I'm retraining him to play as an AMR. I believe his pace, dribbling and finishing will make him a capable inside forward. But otherwise, Simeon is a capable poacher. Maybe not a first or even second choice, but I'm keeping him around.

Chris Martin - Has seen his place in the team gradually drop. Still, potentially a capable player. I have sent him on loan to Middlesborough in the demo who have used him as a first team regular.

Aaron Wilbraham - A lower Championship target man who, in my mind, needs to be sold.

Oli Johnson - One of my favourites in real life, but not capable for the Premiership. He needs to be sold on as well.

I'm a little worried about the strikers. I'm concerned there's not enough goals in them. On that basis, I've tried to build a tactic with sufficient goal threat from elsewhere too. I'm converting Simeon Jackson to play from the right, and that's going well so far. I like, however, the variety of options you have. Each striker offers something different.

Tactical Discussion

The squad as it is offers good versatility. You can play a variety of ways and play well. Do you stick to the trusted 4-4-2? Go for a more modern 4-2-3-1? Or perhaps go for a 4-3-3? Many will feel a desire to bring the diamond that's done us proud into the Premiership.

I am playing with an asymmetrical 4-2-3-1. It gives me an AMR - which I'm playing as an inside forward - and an AMC - the Wessi position, playing as a trequartista. The midfielders, a supportive left midfielder and an attacking central midfielder offers Andrew Surman the chance to play his natural position and a central midfielder who I have deliberately set up to push forward into the box and score goals.

In defence, I'm tinkering between Crofts and Fox in either an anchor man or deep lying play maker position and seeing what's best. My defence is set up to be simple, but effective, with wing backs pushing forward flanking a pair of limited defenders. I'm toying with keeping the wing backs as full backs with David Fox in the side to offer more defensive mindset.

I'm also playing with Andrew Surman in either a defensive winger mould or even as a wing back himself, freeing the left midfield position for someone more pacey and fitting with the right flank.

Tips

I will amend and add to this section upon the release of the full game. However, for me, the following can be deduced from the demo:

1. The staff needs replacing. I would be tempted to have a full clean out of everyone except Neil Reynolds as the physio and Jeff Wood as the goalkeeper coach. I think Culverhouse may be a reasonable assistant, but at £4k a week seems a drain on the wage budget.

2. Ask your board for an increase to the percentage of sold players reinvested in the team! 5% for any team in the Premiership is, in my view, totally inaccurate, but we have to work with what we've been given. I've negotiated a rise to 20%, but in the five games I've played so far, I've been refused on one occasion.

Transfers

To know what you need, you need to get involved and start playing. It's no good recommending you ditch several strikers if you want to play a 4-3-3 for instance. All I can do is tell you where I believe needs strengthened and the sorts of players I've targeted. You may also have a "transfer policy". I do too. I like my signings to come from within the British Isles. I find players signed on this basis adapt and find their consistency quickest. This is not always possible.

To that end, recommending signings always seems a but condescending to me.

In my mind, any Norwich manager will need another left back. Tierney has had a much needed improvement but still requires someone to compete with him. I aimed for someone who could offer an offensive element to his game as well as being defensively solid. Rangers have signed former Hearts full back Lee Wallace and in my game have him available for loan. As he's from outside England, he can be brought in on loan and played alongside fellow loanees Ritchie de Laet and Kyle Naughton. And for no fee and absolute pittance of a wage, I might add. Another more permanent option is Birmingham's David Murphy. I managed to negotiate Birmingham to £1.8mil. But in the end, I went for Lee Wallace, who I can say is doing well.

Then

Good old lincolncanary back again with another good thread, im gonna wait til the full game to start with my beloved canaries, im a little annoyed i wont be taking norwich into the prem myself this year but looking forward to the challenge.

A question, Norwich fans. Which camera do you watch your matches in? I've been finding the touchline camera to be by far the best. I can see the positioning of the players well and work out how well the tactic I'm using is panning out.

For those of you following my attempts to develop the asymmetrical tactic, here's a video for you. It's exactly how I want my team to score goals.

[video=youtube;ZLhzgRZj_Eo]

awesome thread there lincoln.... and i'll definately be giving norwich a go in the full game...

my only gripe and its an annoying ocp'esque one about the thread is the 100 uses of the word 'capable' in your analysis :p .. i joke of course mate.. i love the intro aswell, that video alone should make people want to play as your team, it has done for me

awesome thread there lincoln.... and i'll definately be giving norwich a go in the full game...

my only gripe and its an annoying ocp'esque one about the thread is the 100 uses of the word 'capable' in your analysis :p .. i joke of course mate.. i love the intro aswell, that video alone should make people want to play as your team, it has done for me

I'm not able to capably form a capable sentence without at least four capable uses of the word capable in a capably way.

:)

i know im asking afan here.. but even I as a neutral can only think that grant holt needs a bit of a boost... he's better than that.... i mean.. take a look at danny graham of swansea for instance.... and hoolahan too, who seems more than comfortable in the prem imo .. shame

Right guys, decided to start as Norwich and I have my formation that I would like to use. I'm looking for an AMC that can play back up/rotate with Wes. They must be able to play as a treq or advanced playmaker. Hopefully one of you have found a bargain. I've also bid for Glenn Loovens as I feel I need one more player. If Jlloyd Samuel joins on trial then he may replace Drury if wages are cheap enough. I also have a bid for Pires and a trial offers for McIndoe, Diouf and Stewart. McFadden and Freidrich are on my list ready, so I can pounce when they're back from injury. I'm also looking for some strikers and I have a bid for Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink but feel I need someone who can get goals all the time.

My signings have been

In:

Andres Guardado - £1.8m (48 months) - Deportivo

Giovani Dos Santos - £4.7m (48 months) - Tottenham

James McFadden - £0 - Free

Arne Friedrich - £0 - Free

Charlie Mulgrew -£425k - Season Loan

Out:

Korey Smith - £0 - Season Loan, 100% wages & Valuable Player - Sheffield Wednesday

Chris Martin - £350k - Season Loan, 100% wages & Valuable Player - Middlesborough

Adam Drury - £600k - Brighton

Leon Barnett - £1.6m (48 months) - Leicester

Zak Whitbread - 1.5m (48 months) - Maccabi Haifa

Aaron Wilbraham, Oli Johnson, George Francomb and Matthew Ball - £0 - Season Loan, 100% wages & Valuable Player.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Line-Up

J. Ruddy

R. Martin R. De Laet C. Mulgrew M Tierney

-----------W. Hoolahan B. Johnson-----------

G. Dos Santos----------------------A. Guardado

-----------S. Morisson S. Jackson------------

I can throw a stone from my front garden and hit the stadium...anyone else local? :)

For those that don't know me, in FM07 I made the top tactic of the game, with a quarter of a million downloads recorded (it was quite widely used and featured in a Japanese gaming magazine of all places!). In FM11 I started playing again and released a very good tactic that's still available on the front page of the tactics sharing thread. I'm a local Norwich fan, and this year I aim to make a top tactic based around the Norwich squad - it'll be a challenge!!

so after losing my first Norwich save to a corrupt save file, i decided to give them another crack. During the first save i learnt alot about specific players and roles they are suited to. My persistence to want to play wingers means i obviously need to recruit well. This time i wasn't able to pick up Hammill, but did manage an adequate replacement in Tshabalala. I also added cover for Hoolahan with Magnus Wolff Eikrem aswell as some grunt in midfield with Nick Montgomery. Cleared out some dead wood in defence and replaced with the experienced Jay DeMerit. However, my most prolific signing was Wilfried! What a gun this young Ivory Coast lad is. Managed 7 goals is 3 friendly appearances and 4 in his first 2 league appearances.

Ins:

Wolff Eikrem - 975k

Siphiwe Tshabalala - 325k

Willfried - 2.5m

Nick Montgomery - 1.5m

Jay DeMerit - 900k

Out:

Chris Martin - loan 350k fee

Zak Whitbread - 1.5m

Leon Barnett - 1.1m

(Lappin, Jackson and Fox are all in the process of leaving the club)

Formation: 4-3-2-1 (wingers)

GK - Ruddy (Defend)

FBR - K Naughton (auto)

CB - R De Laet (Limited Defend)

CB - J DeMerit (Limited Defend)

FBL - M Tierney (auto)

CMR - N Montgomery (CM defend)

CM - M Wolff Eikrem (AP support)

CML - B Johnson (DLP support)

RW - E Bennett (Winger attack)

LW - W Hoolahan (Winger attack)

ST - Wilfried (Advance Forward)

Initial i had my AP pushed into an AMC position but he seem to be lacking space to really create. Also, My 2 CM's were ball winners, but were being dragged out and leaving wholes when hunting the ball. So i decided to drop them into a 3 man midfield, leaving CMR on defend to hold in front of the defense. CML also dropped in beside him, but with more freedom to roam forward. With my wingers hugging the touchline and my striker playing as high as possible, this leaves a gaping whole for my CM advanced playmaker to move into. the amount of time and space he is finding is incredible. Eikrem (and Hoolihan) are both so effective in the position. Even with teams playing a DMC or Anchor man, they are able to pick the ball up in the space in front of him. Will report back when i have a few more results, but so far, the space im creating is tearing teams apart.

So, pre-season is over and it's been a fairly good one. We haven't lost any games and whilst the squad is a strong one, I still manager to spend all my budget and more. Here are our results. Incoming in transfers are Ryan Bennett and Lee Tomlin, who both join from Peterborough United for about £6m. Outgoing there have been a few loans and Aaron Wilbrham has left on a free transfer to Swindon Town. Here is the tactic that I have been using throughout pre-season.

After the first months we're 5th. We've had 2-1 wins against Bolton and Everton and we beat Barnsley in the League Cup 2nd Round. In the third round we'll play Leicester City. We lost 3-0 to man City but that doesn't matter. I forgot to add that Zak Whitbread threw a mardy and wanted to leave. He got his request and has joined Vitesse for £1.5m. The whole backroom staff is completely different now too. The board have allowed me a fair few extra staff and scouts, I've maximised my full allowance of staff which is 8 iirc and the number of scouts I'm allowed is 10 and I currently employ 6.

Here is how my backroom staff looks now:

Assistant Manager: Tony Coton(Ball Control)

Coaches: Tosh Farrell(Shooting), Mark Smith(Defending), Bobby Downes(Attacking) and Paul Dalton(Tactics)

GK Coaches: Jeff Wood(Shot Stopping) and Simon Smith(Handling)

Fitness Coaches: Steve Black(Strength) and Ade Mafe(Aerobic)

Physios: Neal Reynolds and Paul Lake

Scouts: Alan Miller, Bob Dowie, Steve Martin, Neville Hargreaves, John Griffin and Dave Fallows

I'm from Cambridge and have always had a bit of a soft spot for Norwich City. It's great to see them back in the Premiership, and I'm considering giving them a go as I think they'd be a good challenge. After I've got Cambridge United (or Colwyn Bay) to the Premiership, I start a Norwich save.

I forgot to add that Zak Whitbread threw a mardy and wanted to leave. He got his request and has joined Vitesse for £1.5m.

He did that to me too, the whining git! I told him I would try and develop the team to match his ambitions and he told me he did not believe me! I responded that I was shocked at his attitude and he demanded a transfer after walking out. I sold him to Leicester for £2mil over 24 months. Was quite pleased with that.

He did that to me too, the whining git! I told him I would try and develop the team to match his ambitions and he told me he did not believe me! I responded that I was shocked at his attitude and he demanded a transfer after walking out. I sold him to Leicester for £2mil over 24 months. Was quite pleased with that.

He was snotty when I brought in an extra DC and requested a transfer, unfortunately I couldn't sell him. He's getting some game time now though as I'm having a bit of an injury crisis.

EDIT: unbeaten by the way, after beating Chelsea we beat Wolves, Stoke and Sunderland in the league :) FM12 is like FM11 in easy mode and with a new rubbish interface!

It's January 1st and we are 1st in the League

PLD:19, WON:14, DRN:5, LST:0, FOR:45, AG:14, GD:+31, PTS:47

(H) Norwich 2 - 0 Bolton

(A) Man City 1 - 1 Norwich

(H) Norwich 3 - 0 Everton

(A) Arsenal 1 - 2 Norwich

(H) Norwich 2 - 0 Chelsea

(A) Wolves 0 - 2 Norwich

(H) Norwich 3 - 1 Stoke

(H) Norwich 2 - 0 Sunderland

(A) QPR 1 - 4 Norwich

(A) Blackburn 1 - 4 Norwich

(A) Wigan 2 - 2 Norwich

(H) Norwich 1 - 1 Man Utd

(A) Liverpool 2 - 2 Norwich

(H) Norwich 3 - 1 Tottenham (This is our best result as Spurs are second in the league)

(A) Fulham 1 - 1 Norwich

(H) Norwich 2 - 0 West Brom

(H) Norwich 3 - 0 Blackburn

(A) Swansea 1 - 2 Norwich

(A) Aston Villa 0 - 4 Norwich

(A) Newcastle 1 - 4 Norwich

END OF YEAR

Going pretty well. I expect in the full-game that the re-rank in Dec/Jan will destroy our run; but I'm aiming to achieve continental qualifaction, and (if the re-rank has been tweaked in FM12) then we'll aim for top 4.

It's January 1st and we are 1st in the League

PLD:19, WON:14, DRN:5, LST:0, FOR:45, AG:14, GD:+31, PTS:47

(H) Norwich 2 - 0 Bolton

(A) Man City 1 - 1 Norwich

(H) Norwich 3 - 0 Everton

(A) Arsenal 1 - 2 Norwich

(H) Norwich 2 - 0 Chelsea

(A) Wolves 0 - 2 Norwich

(H) Norwich 3 - 1 Stoke

(H) Norwich 2 - 0 Sunderland

(A) QPR 1 - 4 Norwich

(A) Blackburn 1 - 4 Norwich

(A) Wigan 2 - 2 Norwich

(H) Norwich 1 - 1 Man Utd

(A) Liverpool 2 - 2 Norwich

(H) Norwich 3 - 1 Tottenham (This is our best result as Spurs are second in the league)

(A) Fulham 1 - 1 Norwich

(H) Norwich 2 - 0 West Brom

(H) Norwich 3 - 0 Blackburn

(A) Swansea 1 - 2 Norwich

(A) Aston Villa 0 - 4 Norwich

(A) Newcastle 1 - 4 Norwich

END OF YEAR

Going pretty well. I expect in the full-game that the re-rank in Dec/Jan will destroy our run; but I'm aiming to achieve continental qualifaction, and (if the re-rank has been tweaked in FM12) then we'll aim for top 4.

This is ridiculous, if its this easy in the main game then im out.

This is ridiculous, if its this easy in the main game then im out.

Dont worry, there's always someone that makes it looks easy. At least thats what I hope and I hope to not find that I fly through with ease and travel to December unbeaten.

My main observation is that I didn't struggle with tactics too much this time around - I'd say the game is far more weighted toward moral/team-talks/runs of form than in previous versions.

The team talks are excellent, even if you upset somebody with your main team talk you can then turn their opinion around with an individual team talk on top. I went into nearly every second half with every single player being either more determined or more focused....and it really shows on the pitch.

HERE'S TO THE RELEASE TONIGHT!

Well, anyone got any initial tips? I've got one; Terry McDermott as your assistant. He's done well for me so far with opposition tactics.

Sack nearly all your staff and hire an entire new team, you can attract entirely 4-5* coaching staff to Norwich quite easily.

Well, anyone got any initial tips? I've got one; Terry McDermott as your assistant. He's done well for me so far with opposition tactics.

Used to do that all the time with Liverpool. Kinda feels weid now that I've got his number on my phone & been drinking with him!

Would agree with Fuss. My asymmetrical tactic that worked well isn't doing so well in the full game. Not sure why that is. It seems to be the lone striker. In the demo he was set up to provide others with opportunities. In the full game I can't get that balance between the roles back.

The two signings Im keen on at the moment is Lee Wallace on loan from Rangers and Kevin McKenna from Koln. Both are cheap, within budget and work very well.

Well the patches annoyed me massively!

Played the first half of my season suing a brilliant 442 that I painstakingly constructed....patched the game and...it went to pot.

So played the second half of the season with my new 4-4-1-1 and here's the results so far:

Untitled-2-1.jpg

Very pleasing :)

Guys

First season finished and have to say very realistic finished 16th in the end. Had a great pre-season winning every match very comfortably had my tactics and team spot on. Got rid of a few players and brought in the likes of Wilfried, Lucas Anderson, Adam Vass, Jonas Ivens and Rory Delap.I also brought in my mown staff getting rid of everyone except Ricky Martin.

1st game vs Arsenal a superb 2-1 victory. Fantastic i thought tactics, team, everyone gelling together......until 2 wins in 15!!! OOps.

Change of tactics and personal saw a little reprieve until i managed to find something that seemed to work and 5 wins in 7 dragged me away from the relegation zone and safety a poor run at the end of the season without a win in 8 wasnt what the doctor ordered but the job was already complete. Safety.

2nd season is now upon us and a much larger transfer budget with it all the dead wood sent packing and £30+ million spent on young exciting players squad average age 24.6. Stadium increased, training facilities improved aswell as youth facilities. Hopefully a good year ahead. Media Prediction is 18th still but we will see!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Only just got the game and started with my beloved norwich.

I never played the demo, so everything looks all new and i need to get use to it. Though i do need a bit of help as to what players to look at and tactics wise.

I've looked at Wilfried but he wont join me. I'm trying a 4-4-2 out in the pre-season but it doesnt look like its going to be very effective.

Any help will be grateful.

- Luke

Hi e11evn,

I'm still yet to get into the game due to work. But I've been tinkering, and here are my thoughts so far:

1. You need to build around Wes. For me, Wes is the main man and has to be played in his best position. I'm finding he does well as a trequarista (or however it's spelt!), but want him to be a bit more offensive. I'm starting to see how effective he will be as an inside forward.

2. Bradley Johnson seems to play better for me as a wide left midfielder with attacking mentality. He pushes forward and scores goals from that position.

3. Andrew Crofts seems to be a better central midfielder than DM. For that reason, if you want a strong DM, you'll have to buy one. Korey Smith has done well for me, although is a bit wayward in his shooting.

4. I've looked to bring in a left back, a central defender, a winger and a striker. I have not found a striker yet to recommend, but am very happy to recommend Lee Wallace on loan from Rangers, James Forrest for £2mil from Celtic and Kevin McCann from Gladbach for £1.2mil. McCann especially seems to fit well alongside de Laet.

5. Sell Simon Lappin, Simeon Jackson, Leon Barnett (who is criminally underrated), Aaron Wilbraham and Oli Johnson. Loan out Chrissy Martin for £400k.

6. Ask for a feeder club. Get players like Matt Ball, Josh Dawson and George Francomb out on loan. None will be good enough to break into the first team, so you may as well develop as best you can and hope to sell off next season.

7. Tactically, I've experimented with an asymmetrical 4-2-2-1-4 formation. I've found it works averagely. I'm probably going to abandon it for a more simple 4-4-1-1, with a very offensive mindset to mimic the club in real life.

8. I've not yet had the chance to try Vaughan out. But between Morison and Holt, I'm sort of leaning towards Holt.

Anyone any thoughts on these points?

Well the patches annoyed me massively!

Played the first half of my season suing a brilliant 442 that I painstakingly constructed....patched the game and...it went to pot.

So played the second half of the season with my new 4-4-1-1 and here's the results so far:

Untitled-2-1.jpg

Very pleasing :)

You are either cheating or something is wrong with the game, you always seem to have inch-perfect results. If I was playing as Norwich and those results happened and I am not cheating I really would want my money back on the game and I am sure other Norwich fans would agree, (or have agreed already), fair play if you have not cheated but thats too good to be true. Mate you have'nt even posted screenshots of the scorers so you may have put world class-players in to the team, that just is not right :)

I've finally started with the ole Canaries and it's been hard work trying to assemble a good squad! I got rid of all the backroom staff and assembled my own from the free agents and they are a damn sight better than who we had. Played around with the budgets so I had a transfer budget of only 2million but alot of spare salary cap. I was able to off load Lappin (Scunthorpe), Oli Johnson (Northampton), Tierney (Leeds and the supporters are happy to have him gone apparently?!), Drury (Millwall and supporters not happy with decision to let him go!) and an old favourite but the very in demand Chris Martin (Portsmouth in the end - he had four clubs to choose from!).

This brought me in another 4.8m and I asked to have an increase of the transfer revenue made available so total budget wound up being 3.28m to spend. I decided to splash out on Wilfried after reading what everyone had written (2.5m release fee) and also one Pablo Mouche (130k!). With what was left I've taken the plunge and signed Kevin De Bruyne (failed to reach terms the first time as he wanted to a first team regular) for 2.6m (spread over 48 months) and the one and only Lucas Andersen for 2.6m also (spread over 48 months and agreed friendly and 500k after 20 appearances). With nothing in the bank I wanted to find a few older but still useful squad players and scored Materazzi (2.2k wages a week) and Luccin (4.1k wages). I still felt we were a little weak at the back and have taken a risk on Degen at right back (13.5k) as the back up/rotation with Martin and Mariano Pernia (5.25k) as left back. Midfield I am pretty happy with but my scouts recommended Daniel Jensen and I figure he might be a good tutor so he was my last signing (9.5k) and with about 4k salary cap unless someone knows of an outstanding centre back with minimal wage demands that will be my squad for the season!

Pre-season was ordinary - am sticking with the 4-1-2-1-2 that is the default formation and have tweaked it be more fluid and slightly more attacking through the midfield but I have always preferred my fullbacks to defend rather than support/attack. We played five pre-season, three draws, one win (over Dereham) and one loss (Aab). Only three games into the season and we lost the opening day fixture to Man City 1-2 and were lucky to be honest (they had just under 30 shots on goal and we had 7!) to keep the score that low. Beat Newcastle 4-0 at home and have just beaten Sheff Utd in the Cup 4-1 at home. Holt has been immense and Jensen also. Ayala is in the starting XI due to Materazi being injured and de Bruyne hasn't started a game yet (injured also). Wilfried is doing well - 2 goals in the last game and Luccin has been great as the anchor man in DM.

Am know starting to look for U18 players to build a reserve team as at the moment we don't really have anyone who I want to try and give some game time in the first team - also moved Pilkington in the first team squad (not sure why he was in the reserve squad?) but i think it is going to be a first season like normal with Norwich. I remember in FM11 that the first 1/4 of the season we did really well in the Championship, then teams worked my tactics out and we had a barren run till New Years, then another good patch and we tailed off towards the end just making the play offs! I believe we will stay up but it will be a close run thing...

good luck all

=]

You are either cheating or something is wrong with the game, you always seem to have inch-perfect results. If I was playing as Norwich and those results happened and I am not cheating I really would want my money back on the game and I am sure other Norwich fans would agree, (or have agreed already), fair play if you have not cheated but thats too good to be true. Mate you have'nt even posted screenshots of the scorers so you may have put world class-players in to the team, that just is not right :)

Fuss makes his tactics available on the tactics forum. So if you don't like it, go try it out for yourself.

I didnt mention anything to do with tactics, I am talking about his unrealistic results and there is no proof that he used players within his budget. He could have cheated and used the editor to bring in world-class players, those results just aint right

What's that to do with you? If anyone wants to cheat, it's their game, let them. If you don't want to add to the thread, then please don't post in it.

I didnt mention anything to do with tactics, I am talking about his unrealistic results and there is no proof that he used players within his budget. He could have cheated and used the editor to bring in world-class players, those results just aint right

That's having a problem with cheating. End of.

I've come to the conclusion I need to replace the vast majority of the squad. I'm starting over and am looking to buy a number of new players this time rather than trying to do it with the team available. It doesn't seem to work.

Please read what I said, just because I said he might have cheated or its unrealistic results I just want to know whether he used his team budget which was set or cheated because if he hasnt he has done a brilliant job. While I would not cheat, I do not have a problem with him doing it. End of. And what I mean by doing ew players is that I was suggesting he could of put in world class players like Messi in his team using the editor, I was jut curious nothing to get in a mood about OK.

Archived