The SFraser Memorial Thread - Links to all the discussions and guides.

miykwz.jpg

The Steven Fraser (SFraser) Memorial Thread

Over the years, Steven showed his immense passion for football and for the Football Manager series, with many detailed posts and guides.

Some threads offered detailed analysis on particular aspects of tactical and squad management, whilst others seemed come across as him "thinking aloud", thus initiating some great discussions and sharing of ideas. He also helped to delve into the training module, often attempting to explain the inner workings of this little understood aspect of the game.

It is only fitting then, that prior to the launch of Football Manager 2012, we present a compendium of all the threads, discussions and guides he started in the Tactics & Training Forum.

Obviously over the years Steven started many threads and discussions, often covering specific aspects of the game from many different angles. I shall attempt to list these threads in a chronological order of game releases, (release during which the threads were started), with the most recent first.

It's my hope that these threads will provide both interesting and informative reading, whilst also encouraging others to continue sharing their efforts, their thoughts and ideas about the game, as Steven was always so willing to do.

heathxxx - SI Forums Moderating Team

ANNOUNCEMENT: Steven Fraser (SFraser) - Has sadly died.

The original announcement thread where we broke the sad news of Steven's death.

It's touching to read all the many comments and they were of considerable comfort to his family, at a difficult time.

If you wish to discuss Steven's threads and discussions over the years, or simply want to comment, please do so in this thread.

If anyone believes I've missed any threads, please feel free to let me know so that I can add them.

Likewise, SFraser also regularly participated in threads started by other people. I you would like to draw attention to a particular thread he participated in, please feel free to post the thread title and a link.

I think the beauty with some of these threads, is there's a lot of information and advice that are not only relevant to the version of FM I've listed them beneath, but will be relevant for possibly many versions to come. Aside from that, some are simply very good tactical discussions.

I think the beauty with some of these threads, is there's a lot of information and advice that are not only relevant to the version of FM I've listed them beneath, but will be relevant for possibly many versions to come. Aside from that, some are simply very good tactical discussions.

Even though I think he sometimes interpreted too much into what the game actually is capable off I have to say his threads were absolutely amazing from a general football philosophy point of view which in return made you think and approach the game differently. It was always great to read his stuff and with how much detail he and fantasy he approached the game when you read his threads the game actually came to life and felt more real then ever.

His posts will be sorely missed but well he left us a lot to read and ponder about.

Thanks SFraser you have been an inspiration for many FM players over all these years and I think FM I never would have really gotten so much into this game without his posts.

RIP Mr. Fraser.

I'm new to this forum but not to the game and I have to say I've been blown away by Steven's threads, even printing off hundreds of pages to read on holiday. He's given me a new enthusiasm for the game. R.I.P.

(thanks for putting this together heathxxx)

aint it a bit redundant to have 2 of his threads as stickys in addition to this one containing all the links? anyway, thanks for taking the time to put this together heath

I've removed the other two for now, all the stickies will be sorted out before the release of FM12 anyway :)

I will sincerely miss the guy, particularly now as the new game comes out and we all struggle initially to get to grips with the tactics and SFraser was usually one of the main guys to nudge me in the right direction. Many like me read what he said without often contributing much to it, mainly as we bowed to his superior knowledge.

RIP

I consider myself somebody who 'knows' FM and how to play it, looking at every level deeply etc etc.

But reading Steve's threads and conclusions helped me more to understand better and enjoy the game than anything else I've read on FM anywhere.

The easier part is knowing it (you play a game long enough...), but he nailed the far more difficult part about getting that knowledge across better than anyone I've seen in these parts.

RIP

How about getting these published in a magazine? and contributing the profits to his family? I'd certainly buy it and it gives something back to his family after he has given us and the CM community so much..

He didn't like the idea of people charging to see guides for FM. So while the purpose of what you suggested would be a good touch, I'm 100% he would have been against the idea himself :)

Gosh :-( I've never really posted on here, but I've played the games since '93/'94 and I find some of the deeper analyses on these forums absolutely fascinating. SFraser wrote some brilliant articles on here - intelligent, articulate and very informative. Sad news indeed - RIP.

Hi everyone....I am still so proud to read and keep reading your messages about my brother,i cant tell you how proud i am of him.

I just wanted to give you an update of what has happened,

The man that was arrested for culpable homocide for the death of Steven has been released due to lack of evidence,this has come as completely shattering news to myself and my mum and dad. It has taken nearly 4months for us to find out everything and we still feel we do not have answers....Steven was stolen from us in the most tragic circumstances and I dont think we will ever accept that.

Thank you to everyone for posting on here,my mum,dad and I find some kind of comfort in your messages and for that we are eternally greatful.

Stacie Fraser x

Very true. Might it be worth pointing out, however, that the threads listed under FM11, although written during that period, were based on FM10. A small point I know as it becomes obvious to readers who have played FM10, but maybe not so to others, including newcomers to the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh crikey. Only really been browsing over this forum for the last few days, and came across the Youth Development Thread by SFraser. Reading through it, I was struck by how passionate he was about FM, and thought, 'he's bound to have posted on other topics besides', so I went through his previous postings and am currently delving into his training masterclass.

And now Ive come across this this morning. Sad to hear a great contributor has passed, and worse still to see that he was so young. Yet lovely to see so may pay tribute.

• 3 weeks later...

This guy was before my time on these forums, sadly. But out of curiosity I clicked on this thread, and then the links within and I have to say - I would've paid good money for books containing the information he has provided over time.

Clearly a Football Manager genius whose threads I have bookmarked (and been reading for a few hours now). Even though he is tragically gone, SFraser has already completely changed the way I play a game that was released after his untimely passing (FM12).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will benefit from his knowledge now and in the future.

Too bad this forum doesn't use the +rep system, or I'd give you a bunch for making this thread, heathxxx. It's a great idea, and SFraser's threads might still inspire players today, cause they were always well thought out and detailed.

He was one of the FM-world's greats and his posts surely reflect that. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place but...

The guy was a genious. Many people have understanding but fail to convey it to others while others lack understanding but can share their ideas well. SFraser had great intellect and could explain his point so that us common folk understand the point. It's a rare and undervalued gift.

So many times I have read a post by him and been inspired by it. I truly do admire him.

• 4 months later...

Just re-reading through the posts he made - some are quite amazing. In particular a quote from his tactical analysis of the 4-5-1:

"The Germans have found and exploited the weakness in the 4-5-1, and I fully expect this evolution of football to continue unabated. Hopefully after this World Cup people will not be so easilly blinded and taken in by the "Barca philosophy" but understand the real practicalities of this formation."

He said this in 2010. Guardiola has confirmed this and we saw this in proof through results throughout the season, despite their brilliance. That is amazing and incredibly well informed.

I wish his family the best during an incredibly difficult time. He was clearly a very passionate man and had a thorough knowledge of his chosen field. Rest In Peace :(

If anyone believes I've missed any threads, please feel free to let me know so that I can add them.

Likewise, SFraser also regularly participated in threads started by other people. I you would like to draw attention to a particular thread he participated in, please feel free to post the thread title and a link.

Am I correct in saying this is one you've missed?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/102567-Tactics-A-Less-is-More-Perspective.

I found the link inside his "Unconventional Tactics" thread.

• 4 weeks later...

This great thread has been lacking one thing: the PKM's that SFraser posted in his various threads. I have a number of them here and I've re-uploaded them incase the original links don't work anymore. I don't know if these are all the matches that he ever uploaded, but it should be the vast majority that were otherwise scattered in various threads and occasionally lost in his massive posts and are now all in one place on the forum.

Here are the links to the PKM's (on Rapidshare):

https://rapidshare.com/files/3720084274/Barcelona_v_Man_Utd.pkm

https://rapidshare.com/files/2314331393/Everton_v_Man_Utd.pkm

https://rapidshare.com/files/1048909665/Fulham_v_Man_Utd.pkm

https://rapidshare.com/files/1184244769/Liverpool_v_Man_Utd.pkm

https://rapidshare.com/files/723204666/Man Utd_v_Newcastle.pkm

https://rapidshare.com/files/3808125817/Man_Utd_v_Barcelona.pkm

https://rapidshare.com/files/3459431454/Man_Utd_v_Cardiff.pkm

https://rapidshare.com/files/1583198061/Man_Utd_v_Liverpool.pkm

https://rapidshare.com/files/3989915464/Man_Utd_v_Man_City.pkm

https://rapidshare.com/files/2784846320/Man_Utd_v_Sunderland.pkm

https://rapidshare.com/files/2719062161/Man_Utd_v_West_Brom.pkm

They're certainly worth looking at for the brilliant team that he assembled over the years in his save and the brilliant football played, but also just for the level of depth that he went into in his game. An example of the latter is how he set up his goalkeeper distribution: it's normally set towards the most technically able fullback, but whenever a youngster like Patrizio Cerra comes into the team it is changed to give him the ball and guarantee a number of easy passes throughout the match to build up confidence and help development.

Enjoy.