Steam - "This item is unavailable in your region" - Can we still play Fm2012?

Firstly I have no issues with STEAM , I've used it in the past to buy Football Manager (when I lived in England).

For the past 3 years I've been in South Korea , every time a new FM came out I always checked STEAM first, but it has never been available here. So, I always used gamersgate.com or game.co.uk with no real problems (byteshield - yuck!)

This year again it is not possible to buy and download through STEAM in Korea, so I'm wondering if i digitally download it from another site will I even be able to activate through STEAM? Or in fact do digital downloads have to be activated fthrough STEAM?

I couldn't think of anything more frustrating than having the game on my hard drive bought and paid for but being region locked out of playing it....!

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers.

I believe this only applies to physical Disc copies of the game.

Any version of Football Manager 2012 bought on disc will have to be activated through the Steam network, so therefore purchasers will have to have an internet connection for initial activation.

From the "A message on Football Manager 2012 Activation" Thread.

I think other digital download sites just give you a code to download it through Steam (not 100% sure as no one has confirmed it).

This is how it's always worked before with Steamworks games, so for now I think it's safe to assume it will apply to FM12 as well. Green Man Gaming is doing it this way for FM12, for instance.

Not sure about the "not available in your region" thing - have never had to deal with that sort of thing. :/ I'd be inclined to believe it only prevents sales, but obviously can't say definitively. Maybe there's someone else in your position seagull84 who've tried this with a different game and knows?

i thought the digital download sites would allow me to download the game onto my hard drive but i would then have to activate it on STEA. Is this not the case?

Sorry for being thick - I'm not a game player at all - I only play Football Manager. Are you saying that each site is just selling the link to download it from STEAM? if so what is the point? why doesn't everyone just get it from STEAM in the first place? and how and why do the prices vary?

I'm gettng seriously concerned now that it's going to be simply impossible for me to play this game in Korea. I can't understand this either as SI have made huge steps to introduce the game to the korean market with FMO (the internet game exclusive to Korea) would be very strang eif they go to all this effort and then people can't even play the proper version of the game.

If it's Steamworks game, each site sells you a key code that you input into Steam, which then adds the game to you Steam account. They purchase these keys from the publisher, in this case SEGA, and sell them with whatever profit margin they deem appropriate. This is usually cheaper for the consumer than getting the game directly from Steam, but with the downside of relying on another provider to handle things smoothly (e.g. send you the key on time on release day).

No clue why the South Korean Steam store does not offer FM directly. That would be a question to direct to SEGA most likely. :/

I sent an email to SI / SEGA customer support earlier so am hopefully going to get some info on this.

The South Korean government hates STEAM (according to what i've read in researching this problem) because it can't censor games or control who buys them as much as they would like. For a game like FM i simply can't see that being a problem, but as I've said the past 3 years have been the same - "unavailable to buy in your region".

Would love an answer from SI / SEGA as to the reasoning that STEAM won't sell FM in Korea...

sorry Scab - one more (stupid) question just for clarity....

So who would I be actually downloading the game from

a) I download the game from the digital site and then put the key into STEAM to start the game

b) I use the code (bought from an independent website) to start the actual game download with STEAM

I was just trying to research this subject to find out if there were any more countries other than Germany that would be affected, I knew of China's ban of the game although I'm not sure if that still stands but I never knew South Korea was also a problem.

but here lies the problem....

I don't think FM is banned in Korea - I'm sure I've seen the boxed version in shops.

STEAM however is hated by Korean authorities and on it's way to being banned (from what I've read) and FM2012 is not available for purchase through STEAM (and no FM has ever been).

It's the same situation with Xbox marketplace - there are very few games available to download directly if you're based in Korea compared with availibility of games in xbox marketplaces in other countries. All down to certificate ratings and proof of age to buy the product (which I can't understand would cause an issue with Football Manager)

Same thing has happened in Australia. We had censored versions of certain games (Left For Dead being an example).

To get around it you use a VPN, which will make it look like you are in a different country.

Once activated and installed, make Steam go into OFFLINE mode if all you want to play is FM.

i don't know anything about that, other than it's exclusively for Korea. Not really interested in any of the other incarnations of FM to be honest, just like the good old fashioned version.

And I agree, we really need some word from Si / Sega about this

Probably wont hear from them till tomorrow, but i imagine, or at the very least i hope, they will have the answers/solutions for this.

Personally not sure it was the best idea to announce it on a friday, when it was bound to be a contentious and also lots of people would be asking lots of questions, but thats just my two cents

Personally not sure it was the best idea to announce it on a friday, when it was bound to be a contentious and also lots of people would be asking lots of questions, but thats just my two cents

Ha, they probably did that deliberately so they could conveniently be unavailable when we all rush in with our pitchforks.

Ha, they probably did that deliberately so they could conveniently be unavailable when we all rush in with our pitchforks.

Ha, given the number of pitchforks that came out on the thread, i'm not surprised. It will be nice to get some more info on monday, if not for myself but so i can them pass it on to our forum

am in the same boat as the OP, living in South Korea for work. I have never digitally downloaded FM, always prefer to have the disc. I do have steam on my computer, I had to install it because I bought a game from gamersgate that used steam for the offer. No problems so far with it, though I would rather not need to use steam for FM.

I'm from Germany and had no problems activating my imported boxed copy of FM11 on steam last year, even though it's not available on our regional steam store. You can install from the disc as well, so steam only downloads the patches.

This decision by the makers with regards to the activation process was decided many months ago and not on the spur of the moment decision, but knowing how things work out from SI and Sega it wont be a smooth ride, expect major headaches.

This decision by the makers with regards to the activation process was decided many months ago and not on the spur of the moment decision, but knowing how things work out from SI and Sega it wont be a smooth ride, expect major headaches.

Listen to the expert, oh wait! it's not an expert, just that old gloom and doom ridden cynet:D I bet you even removed the plus sign from your keyboard.:p

As you've said, it's done and dusted so how about waiting till after the event before you start your usual dirge.

Listen to the expert, oh wait! it's not an expert, just that old gloom and doom ridden cynet:D I bet you even removed the plus sign from your keyboard.:p

As you've said, it's done and dusted so how about waiting till after the event before you start your usual dirge.

Expert in dealing with SI and Sega and from past experience it's been choppy waters with regards to decisions and direction and if I'm wrong that they only decided on friday to spring this decision Ill be a monkey's uncle :p

I'm from Germany and had no problems activating my imported boxed copy of FM11 on steam last year, even though it's not available on our regional steam store. You can install from the disc as well, so steam only downloads the patches.

Great news. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the reply

STEAM not selling FM in Korea is no problem so long as you can still activate games bought from a digital download site or boxed version...

I appreciate that it's not neccesarily something for SI. Thanks for responding though Bertie.

In response to your question: Yes. literally just have received a response. Makes for interesting reading...

"Thank you for contacting Sega Customer Support regarding your concerns over the Football Manager series and its installation process.

While we cannot comment on the reason why the game cannot be released in South Korea please note that you will be able to activate a boxed copy of Football Manager 2012 (purchased from another country) and play the game on Steam, however, as you know already, you will not find the game in the shops and will not be able to purchase it through Steam either.

I hope this information is of use."

Very strange as to why it's not available and why they can't comment on it. Good news that it shouldn't cause a big problem though.

As a further question what is the point in going so big in South Korea (the new internet version of the game - exclusively for Koreans) if they can't even play the real game!!!

Steam issue in South Korea is because of Valve's non-compliance with South Korean law in that all games must have an age rating carried out by Korean rating authorities.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103254-South-Korea-Targeting-Steam-Over-Ratings-Dispute

AS for not being able to sell FM12 in South Korea I have no idea. Maybe its because Park Ji-Sung is always underated in the game :confused:

Qoute :- "Reports suggest that the fees can run to thousands of dollars however, which might be outside the budgets of the smaller developers that use the service"

Archived