Closed Thread
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,700 of 4173

Thread: A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

Amateur

I like this new instalation system. Steam is great to play FM, 'cause install the patches automaticly and resolve crash dumps real easy

Amateur

So let me guess, i can activate the game only once? How about if my account get stolen and i never get that back, i need to buy new game right? I know that is very rare, but things like that can still happen.

IMO game is goin wrong direction. Even i play with steam, i just dont like idea that steam activation is the only way to play.

Part-Timer

Then you contact Steam support and get it recovered. If you still have control over your email account it's easy to reset your Steam password. Also, if you've activated the Steam Guard system on your Steam account, they can't even login using your user/pass without access to your email as they'd be doing so from a new computer (which needs approving via email).

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Knopper View Post
    So let me guess, i can activate the game only once? How about if my account get stolen and i never get that back, i need to buy new game right? I know that is very rare, but things like that can still happen.
    that is what steam support is for, and the majority of people who do get hacked will get their account and games back

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Scab View Post
    Then you contact Steam support and get it recovered. If you still have control over your email account it's easy to reset your Steam password. Also, if you've activated the Steam Guard system on your Steam account, they can't even login using your user/pass without access to your email as they'd be doing so from a new computer (which needs approving via email).
    aah okay im kind newbie with steam even i have own it about 5 years lol. Still dont like idea but i can live with it.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by tigerhgrrrrrr View Post
    Some people hate iTunes, I have to say I love it. That is a very good analogy, I hope it will help me accept Steam more easily going forward.
    Well, aside from the fact that if you go to HMV and buy a new CD, you don't have to have iTunes installed to listen to it.

I'm a long time opponent of Steam. I'm fine with digital distribution and buy the few games I play as download only these days. I just really dislike Valve's creation of a new monopoly, especially as they are a company I wouldn't buy a game from (no interest in anything I've seen them produce,) and I resent being forced to use their software to play a title that has nothing to do with them - regardless of whether I can play it in some off-line mode. None of the supposed benefits of Steam interest me either. But, well, what does what I think matter as long as Valve make their buck? I'm coming around to the idea I'm going to have to use it some day or give up PC gaming altogether. It doesn't make me very happy.

Youth Team

Monopoly suggests they are the only company doing this.

EA run their own called Origin.

Where these clients can help with online gamers where some cheat, these clients attempt to prevent that. And they also hope to delay piracy issues. Having to do online gaming through the clients means that pirated versions of the software may not be able to join in online.

I can see the importance of SI using a client like Steam to authenticate your purchase of the game. Seems to be a requirement of purchasing the game, to authenticate it online via Steam.

I guarantee that if the music industries could have a client that only their cds can be played through they would do it. Currently there's no way for them to do this.

It's still my view that Steam is perfectly fine to use.

Youth Team

well i never thought you would push me to this but yes you have done it. I will NOT be buying the game this year and to date neither will another 14 of my friends either. We hate Steam and do not want this near our machines.

Thanks

Youth Team

If you're not buying the game or don't like or want Steam, can you please state your reasons. I'm sure the SI and Sega would appreciate feedback that is constructive. And I would also like to know why you are against Steam.

Can you please clarify?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    Monopoly suggests they are the only company doing this.

EA run their own called Origin.

Where these clients can help with online gamers where some cheat, these clients attempt to prevent that. And they also hope to delay piracy issues. Having to do online gaming through the clients means that pirated versions of the software may not be able to join in online.

I can see the importance of SI using a client like Steam to authenticate your purchase of the game. Seems to be a requirement of purchasing the game, to authenticate it online via Steam.

I guarantee that if the music industries could have a client that only their cds can be played through they would do it. Currently there's no way for them to do this.

It's still my view that Steam is perfectly fine to use.
    Do EA do this to the same level? The problem is the sheer number of new titles that require a Steam account to play. My understanding was also that EA Origin is primarily for titles they publish themselves. I don't have any problems with Valve using Steam for their own games, I just don't like being forced into it when I buy a game by another publisher. Steam is becoming ubiquitous in PC gaming. Origin is not. I think Monopoly is a fair term to use.

It's still my view that something about all this stinks. I'm well aware that view marks me down as a member of the 'Angry Communist' club but, well, what you gonna do?

Youth Team

Yeh but it's not a monopoly. It's an option that softwared developers are using after months, if not years of research. SI have said they comtemplated different options since FM09 (or was it FM10?).

Steam becoming "ubiquitous" - eh yeh sure it is because it's reliable and it works. There's a small percentage of people that have issues, and that seems to be with any computer system or software, there will be a small percentage that have serious issues.

At the end of the day, Steam is pretty good. And it's worth a shot. If you like FM and wnat to play FM12 give it a go. Even for the demo. See if you're happy

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Egan View Post
    Do EA do this to the same level? The problem is the sheer number of new titles that require a Steam account to play. My understanding was also that EA Origin is primarily for titles they publish themselves. I don't have any problems with Valve using Steam for their own games, I just don't like being forced into it when I buy a game by another publisher. Steam is becoming ubiquitous in PC gaming. Origin is not. I think Monopoly is a fair term to use.

It's still my view that something about all this stinks. I'm well aware that view marks me down as a member of the 'Angry Communist' club but, well, what you gonna do?
    EA are starting to, Battlefield 3 is going to require the Origin client.
    Steam is not a monopoly, plenty of other ways of getting games its just that some publishers have decided to require it.

Amateur

Ii couldn't be bothered reading through 37 pages so i have a simple question.

So regardless of how i buy FM 2012 i have to install steam and register online? doesn't that kind of throw away the point of having a disc in the first place?

Amateur

You know, this announcement makes little difference to me because I had planned to buy 2012 on Steam anyway if it was available. I'm one of those Steam freaks. (I own 166 games on Steam.) Really, this is not a bad system at all in my opinion. At least they aren't using SecuROM or some other intrusive form of DRM. They could have done much, much worse.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by typenamehere View Post

So regardless of how i buy FM 2012 i have to install steam and register online? doesn't that kind of throw away the point of having a disc in the first place?
    With the disc you won't have to download the game + activate, just activate. That's pretty much the only (meaningful) difference.

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by typenamehere View Post

Yes it does tbh, only advantage of a disc is a quicker install.

Amateur

I guess i'm buying the disc then thanks for your help guys.

Youth Team

Once it's installed you won't need to have the disc anymore. I'll be buying the disc, I could buy online. But I think it's going to be cheaper in the shops, compared to Steam prices.

The box will look great with all the other boxes

Semi Pro
    1 year, 2 trophies. 3 more in 4 years - what dya reckon?

I know this question is a bit "how long is a piece if elastic" but downloading from Steam on a 30M broadband connection - roughly how long does the download take?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by tigerhgrrrrrr View Post
    I know this question is a bit "how long is a piece if elastic" but downloading from Steam on a 30M broadband connection - roughly how long does the download take?
    It would depend on many factors inccluding your connection speed, even a rough guess would be totally random.

Youth Team

The Approx size of the Demo was 1gb - on a 30mb/sec connection it would take.

@30mb/sec you're looking at roughly looking at 15 minutes - I think.

Test your connection speed

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

Amateur

Does a game even exist that pirates haven't cracked? I've never heard of one.. This scenario just reminds me of FM08 with all the activation problems that only created problems for the paying users and none for the pirates

Youth Team

Nope. As far as I know all software is pirated. It's just wrong that so many people blatantly steal.

However, Steam is not about stopping, but delaying.

Last year, they had so many pre-orders cancelled when the Pirated versions became available. Co-incidence, yes in some cases.

They've already reported a significant increase in preorder sales since announcing Steam only activation.

If you're stuff was been stolen wouldn't you want to do whatever was possible to protect it?

Amateur

Is there any difference between the digital download from sega and the steam version. I had steam last year and was okay just didn't like the way the folders were setup for addons

Youth Team

Eh I think the only way you can download is from Steam this year. That or buy the disc.

What about the folder setup didn't you like?

That's an activation code which too will need to be used via Steam.

Part-Timer

I hate steam and never want to use it can i install it without steam?

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by scotty1974 View Post
    I hate steam and never want to use it can i install it without steam?
    From disk, but you need to activate it through Steam. Everytime you play the game, on or offline, you need Steam.
    You also have to download patches from Steam.
    Last edited by pigfacemonkeyman; 25-09-2011 at 23:12. Reason: lazy,duff info

Amateur

I am not really happy about this either, but I guess if I want to play FM12 then I am going to need to use Steam, I have a question though for example if I install it on my PC and also plan to run it on my laptop I understand you need to log into your Steam account to play the game, what will happen for example if I have a laptop and I am away from a internet connection, can I still play FM?

Clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Part-Timer

Is Steam currently down?

I ask because I just got home after a weekend trip, before I left I tried to goto offline mode where it refused me. I made some screenshots a couple of pages back where I illustrated the problem. But since I am back home I tried to fire up FM - I couldn't (same message as below when I tried). I tried to connect to my Steam account to see if I could play whilst online but I keep getting this message:

By loversleaper at 2011-09-25

Third Team

try deleting all your BLOB files in steam, then try running steam again

Semi Pro

check your firewall , also go to steam instalation folder and delete the clientregistry.blolb file ( with steam closed ) and try opening agin

Part-Timer

I have checked through all steam folders but I haven't been able to locate either BLOB or clientregistry

Part-Timer

P.S. I haven't touched firewall at all the last year or so, I have been logged in with these settings before ...

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Loversleaper View Post
    I have checked through all steam folders but I haven't been able to locate either BLOB or clientregistry
    It's in the main Steam folder. Clientregistry.blob is what you're looking for.

Part-Timer

Thanks Dune, I am not that good at this at all. Mine looks similar, but I only have ClientRegistry.blob and not the ClientRegistryOld.blob...

But my question is: do I simply right click and delete it? (I don't want to make a mistake, thanks)

Part-Timer

Thanks Dune, I am not that good at this at all. Mine looks similar, but I only have ClientRegistry.blob and not the ClientRegistryOld.blob...

But my question is: do I simply right click and delete it? (I don't want to make a mistake, thanks)
    Disregard ClientRegistryOld.blob. Just right click and delete it .

Part-Timer

I just deleted as you suggested, as shown below:

Doubled clicked on Steam and again:

Part-Timer

Do you have any of these installed?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9828-SFLZ-9289

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Dune297 View Post
    Do you have any of these installed?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9828-SFLZ-9289
    I have only free AVG installed so I think what I can block will be limited. My firewall is on, I haven't touched it and with the current settings I have been logged on before, the only boxed that is ticked is the "give message, when firewall blocks a new program".

Amateur

don't get why some people against it? last time i think we had problem as many tried to sign in in same time in addition to overload done by some 3rd parties.
    you can wait just one day .. and play the game like i will do

Part-Timer

I have only free AVG installed so I think what I can block will be limited. My firewall is on, I haven't touched it and with the current settings I have been logged on before, the only boxed that is ticked is the "give message, when firewall blocks a new program".
    Did you ever try reinstalling it? I'm sorry that this is such a hassle for you .

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Dune297 View Post
    Did you ever try reinstalling it? I'm sorry that this is such a hassle for you .
    I think I might have to give that a try. Too late now for me to do it tonight, will try again tomorrow. I am grateful you went out of your way for me, thanks!

Part-Timer

I think I might have to give that a try. Too late now for me to do it tonight, will try again tomorrow. I am grateful you went out of your way for me, thanks!
    No problem! Any time .

Amateur

Unhappy Steam

Hello all,
    I wanted to say thank you for all the years of entertainment that football manager has given. I unfortunately must state that I will no longer be able to purchase this wonderful game. I do not wish to have steam on my computer for a number of reasons. If a version in the future no longer features a needed third party program such as this to run then I will once again purchase this game. It is so hard and painful to have to say no but I also had to quit civilization 5 for the same reason.
    Once again, thank you for a wonderful game and best of luck. If in the future this decision is changed I will once again purchase this game.

Part-Timer
    Washington DC but my heart lies in Leicester

Bye.

I'll never understand the hostility towards Steam. It's a great little program.

Amateur
    Lost... And also naked.. Do you know where i live?

Quote Originally Posted by Abbayarra View Post
    Hello all,
    I wanted to say thank you for all the years of entertainment that football manager has given. I unfortunately must state that I will no longer be able to purchase this wonderful game. I do not wish to have steam on my computer for a number of reasons. If a version in the future no longer features a needed third party program such as this to run then I will once again purchase this game. It is so hard and painful to have to say no but I also had to quit civilization 5 for the same reason.
    Once again, thank you for a wonderful game and best of luck. If in the future this decision is changed I will once again purchase this game.
    Very much with you on that. Disappointing as i was really really looking forward to it but i don't want Steam under any circumstances, no matter how good many say it is, i find it pointless and of no use to me at all. Nothing against it, i just have no need or want for it beyond activation so rather than be lumped with it i'll just give FM12 a miss.

Part-Timer

May I ask why you don't like Steam Abbayarra?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Abbayarra View Post
    Hello all,
    Wouldn't this be better as an email to Si or Sega where it might be read instead of posting it as a whine on a forum?

For better or worse the boxed PC game market is dying more and more games are relying on online services such as Steam, if you have strong enough reasons not to want Steam on your computer then sorry to hear that, Civ5 is great and i suspect Fm2012 will be addictive as usual, your loss.....

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by shwan View Post
    don't get why some people against it? last time i think we had problem as many tried to sign in in same time in addition to overload done by some 3rd parties.
    you can wait just one day .. and play the game like i will do
    This TBH. I can't see no reason why someone couldn't wait until Monday the 24th to play the game and that's what I intend to do. It depends on potential patches too, but that's my plan ATM.
    www.fmbosnia.com - The game starts here

Amateur

Hmm, where to start. *cough*

Lets start with the issue of FM piracy, this without a dought will not stop piracy in any way shape or form. Cracking steam applications is not hard has been achieved easily with every game that gets released there, as soon as the game gets pre-loaded it will be unlocked and cracked, mark my words on this. As someone who has been playing this series since Championship Manager 2 I agree with supporting the development of this great series and providing you the revenue to continue with this although i'm not a saint and have over the years used cracked versions for various reasons, some being, wanting a DVD crack to do away with needing to use the DVD or playing earlier then the schedueled release. I really don't know what the answer is in terms of piracy, unfortunately the more you fight with it the more determined people will become to breaking it.

Secondly i'll address the strong opinions people have to the Steam platform. I don't have any problems with using Steam or having Steam installed on my system, most gamer's would have this installed anyhow, it's a decent, proven distribution platform. Some of the arguments put across to this such as, OMG, don't make me install a third party peice of software to use FM, are slightly idiotic. I'll tell you what annoys me, not having to install a proven application like steam, but being asked to install search bars and other data gathering crap from every application alive, get over it. It's not going to kill your system. *slap*

Another year, another release, we can only see how it pans out although I can't see it making much difference personally. Shrug.
    Last edited by Purplehaze420; 26-09-2011 at 08:24.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyscarab View Post
    Bye.

I'll never understand the hostility towards Steam. It's a great little program.
    Same , i got TF2 for free to play and i got portal for free , the downloading demos and specs needed are really useful.
    TBF i havent ever bought a game from steam but it seems pretty cool for me

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Purplehaze420 View Post
    Hmm, where to start. *cough*

Lets start with the issue of FM piracy, this without a dought will not stop piracy in any way shape or form. Cracking steam applications is not hard has been achieved easily with every game that gets released there, as soon as the game gets pre-loaded it will be unlocked and cracked, mark my words on this. As someone who has been playing this series since Championship Manager 2 I agree with supporting the development of this great series and providing you the revenue to continue with this although i'm not a saint and have over the years used cracked versions for various reasons, some being, wanting a DVD crack to do away with needing to use the DVD or playing earlier then the schedueled release. I really don't know what the answer is in terms of piracy, unfortunately the more you fight with it the more determined people will become to breaking it.
    SI have openly stated that this won't stop piracy, but will likely slow it at least. Plus Valve have shown (as I quoted earlier in the thread) that switching to Steam has led to them hugely increasing sales in territories (specifically Russia, in the quote) that have previously been rife with piracy - in fact, that by offering an improved product and service through Steam, they were incentivising people to buy and (presumably) reducing piracy.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by LambyGHS View Post
    Loversleaper - I will see if i can sort the problem out when i get home tonight, however if you find a solution PLEASE make sure you post it up!!! :-)
    Hey Lamby, sorry for not responding before now. I've been trawling through different forums (google steam offline mode error) and I haven't seen any advice that has helped me yet. I've checked out Steam's troubleshooting pages but it is not on the menu. I think when I get home tonight (hope I get time - Mondays are always chaotic at the office) I will try to uninstall Steam and then reinstall it to see if it works. I was wondering have you tried this possibility?

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by shwan View Post
    don't get why some people against it?
    You don't? Well look at the bl00dy post above yours. Why should the poster have to jump through so many loops to play his game?

Amateur

Steam is wonderful if you love pc gaming, I personally love using it. It just got of to a bad start in 2009 when FM10 came out, and alot of people hated steam since then.

Amateur

Loversleaper - did you notice that i managed to get round that error message and go into offline mode? When you log in to steam make sure that your username is completely in "lower Case"

Amateur

Morning all...just watching an improved england performance in the rugby (all be it against Romania)

There appears to be a solution to those not being able to log in. The bug is a "case sensitive" issue with your log in details. The steps i took to fix the problems were:

1) Whilst in Steam account click on "Change User" - this should log you out and clear any pre existing saved info
    2) Re-Log in but when entering your user name enter it ALL in LOWER CASE!!! Then enter your password and make sure you have it set that Steam remembers your details.
    3) In settings check that "Do not save account credentials on this computer" box is not checked
    4) Click on Go Offline and then click Restart in offline mode
    5) Hopefully problem sorted...

Just a quick thank you to milnerpoint and eugene tyson for their help and "patience" ;-)
    Loversleaper - here you go fella...

Part-Timer

Loversleaper - here you go fella...
    I can't even get into my steam account atm. Check post 3665 & 3673...

P.S. The log in info doesn't pop up and goes straight to error...
    Last edited by Loversleaper; 26-09-2011 at 10:34.

Banned

This thread is 37 pages long, full of people that:

a) don't like Steam
    b) won't buy the game because of Steam
    c) are having problems with Steam

And still, Miles Jacobson is too bored with the subject to respond to any of the concerns, claiming it's just a minority of 50 people that will have little impact on sales.

Well, in my opinion, even person having problems with installing Steam is one too many. Not in the SI bank account perhaps, but for us, the users, it's one too many. Good customer service isn't about introducing new potential problems for the customer.

But, as moderators and SI representatives have pointed out, our opinion doesn't matter, so it's really pointless talking about it.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by mantralux View Post

a) don't like Steam

And still, Miles Jacobson is too bored with the subject to respond to any of the concerns, claiming it's just a minority of 50 people that will have little impact on sales.

Well, in my opinion, even person having problems with installing Steam is one too many. Not in the SI bank account perhaps, but for us, the users, it's one too many. Good customer service isn't about introducing new potential problems for the customer.

But, as moderators and SI representatives have pointed out, our opinion doesn't matter, so it's really pointless talking about it.
    SI probably aren't offering support for FM12 Steam issues since it isn't out yet, and this thread is completely inappropriate for raising Steam issues for other products. If people are having problems with Steam, asking in the appropriate place (which may well be on Steam) will more than likely yield results.

Youth Team

Graphically representing the amount of people and Steam issue in this thread is easy enough

==================
    Have genuine concerns and won't use Steam
    ==================
    Refuse to use Steam no matter what
    ==================
    Will use Steam but not happy about it
    ==================
    Happy with Steam can't wait for FM12
    ==================
    Trying to convince the first slot of the "graphic" that Steam isn't that bad and give it a go
    ==================

Semi Pro

While i'll buy the game as its the only game i buy every year i'm not happy about having to install steam again to play a game i have spent my money on. people can only comment on their own experience with a product and i was not impressed with steam at all when we had to use it on a previous FM.
    Even in Offline mode it was popping up on screen and using what was vital ram and processors time due to a lower spec laptop!.
    I am sympathetic to SI/Sega regarding the piracy but it always ends up with the genuine buyer suffering and having to jump through hoops to play a game they paid for.

Why can SI/Sega not have the activation code on the game where you log on once to SI/Sega's website and input your code during install and then you can use the game and reinstall to your hearts content.

Semi Pro

Graphically representing the amount of people and Steam issue in this thread is easy enough

==================
    Have genuine concerns and won't use Steam
    ==================
    Refuse to use Steam no matter what
    ==================
    Will use Steam but not happy about it
    ==================
    Happy with Steam can't wait for FM12
    ==================
    Trying to convince the first slot of the "graphic" that Steam isn't that bad and give it a go
    ==================

Youth Team

While it's a mild inconvenience for FM players and small hoops to jump through, it's pretty annoying move on SI's part.

Even more so for the people that Pirate the game though.

It will in no way stop the piracy. But it should make it inconvenient enough to delay it.

I have absolutely no bother with people that want another way to authenticate the game. The best I've seen is the "activation code on the website". Which would be pretty straightforward.

It's pretty clear from this thread that some people want to buy the game and but don't want Steam. It's unfair to push something on someone.

Personally I have nothing against Steam. I'm happy enough to use it.

Semi Pro

While it's a mild inconvenience for FM players and small hoops to jump through, it's pretty annoying move on SI's part.

Even more so for the people that Pirate the game though.

It will in no way stop the piracy. But it should make it inconvenient enough to delay it.

I have absolutely no bother with people that want another way to authenticate the game. The best I've seen is the "activation code on the website". Which would be pretty straightforward.

It's pretty clear from this thread that some people want to buy the game and but don't want Steam. It's unfair to push something on someone.

Personally I have nothing against Steam. I'm happy enough to use it.
    Agree with you, it just forcing people to use a further product. the only reason i can see for it is that SI/Sega have a contract with Steam and this will help promote steam to get more people using and buying from it.
    If piracy is the real issue activation through SI/Sega website should be the route to follow and to apease the masses

Amateur

Hmmm I use Steam. I really don't mind it at all, I'll certainly be buy my copy of FM2012 on release day via Steam.

Having said that I still think Sega are wrong to insist that 3rd party software be required to run their game. Player who have skipped a few incarnations of the FM series are already baffled by it's newer features and adding this extra level of complication to the game even before you have the chance to get it running will discourage them even more and cause no end of frustration.

I fear this decision is more about profits than piracy. Being told that extra revenue gained from the copies sold in the period from release date to it's inevitable piracy will mean extra funds to support the future progression of the game really hints at a high level of naivety from Sega.

Anybody who has purchased any of the last few versions of FM will know that it's hardly playable until a month or two after release when the first patches are available and by this time the game has long since been cracked.

Sega would be far better off concentrating on producing a good, well tested game out of the box and trust that it's loyal fans will always pay for the product.

The thing I despise more than the piracy of this game is seeing Football Mananger 20** at number 1 on all the gaming charts from the day of it's release when I've got a copy at home that I know I'm not going to be happy with it until a couple or more months down the line.

Forcing people to use 3rd party software for a game that historically needs a patch or two before it is playable surely only serves to make people look for other ways of getting it to see if it's worth the wait ?!?!?!

I've worked in the film industry for near on 20 years and I despise piracy but this isn't the answer. Even though the developers may think it will in some way deter people from from illegally distributing the game they are wrong. I'm sure that everybody involved in the making of this game at SI want to have the best product out there but the people funding it are only interested in it's profits and this is really what I fear this move is all about.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by mantralux View Post

a) don't like Steam

It's actually more like 2-3 pages of people posting a,b,or c, the other 34-35 pages are probably made up of people arguing amongst themselves

Amateur

I disagree in both forms: I've seen studies that state 75-90% of a game's purchases are within the first month of it's release (won't be THAT much for FM, considering it has multiple months on the best seller charts), and the fact that a steam "unlock" means that people trying to "break" it to crack it can't get into the game code prior to the unlock date, meaning most people who are going to download it say, a month after release weren't going to buy it on day 1 anyway.

And while there's numerous bugs that are always fixed in the release code by the second patch or so (a lot of which are on the "day 0 patch"), I wouldn't call it "hardly playable".

Hyperbole ill suits people

And also, may I just say I get a bit of a chuckle about he "People don't have a fast connection to activate it on Steam so they'll download it option". If they have a fast enough connection to download it, doesn't it mean that they have a fast enough connection to you know, activate it?

Amateur

If you buy the boxed copy of the game, what happens if/when Steam go out of business, and no other company takes them over. How would we be able to install and play the game if Steam don't exist any more?

I mean I can now go and install CM93 on a PC (if I wanted too) and that's nearly 20 years old. I doubt we'll be able to install and play FM2012 in 20 years.

Having the same problem as Loversleaper. Can't even open the bloody thing :mad: The Steam website won't even open, everything else works fine.
    Last edited by metal_guitarist; 26-09-2011 at 11:43.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by metal_guitarist View Post
    Having the same problem as Loversleaper. Can't even open the bloody thing :mad: The Steam website won't even open, everything else works fine.
    this will be fobbed off with the excuse that it was due to a surprise high level number of people trying to register early on steam

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Staf9 View Post
    this will be fobbed off with the excuse that it was due to a surprise high level number of people trying to register early on steam
    Hardly, Steam has already coped with far bigger numbers than FM will ever produce.

I just went to it with no problem, worth trying with a different browser? or it may be something simple like cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    I just went to it with no problem, worth trying with a different browser? or it may be something simple like cookies.
    Already tried 3 browsers, cache cleaned etc, still nothing.

Is there anybody else here who can't access the Steam website? not sure what to suggest but it does seem you have a problem peculiar to you if there's a single website you can't access.

Steam itself still won't open at all. Just says 'cannot connect to the network', and because I removed that file in the install folder, I can't even get in to put it in offline mode.

I can get at the Steam site through a proxy btw

It's actually more like 2-3 pages of people posting a,b,or c, the other 34-35 pages are probably made up of people arguing amongst themselves
    Yep, been repeating itself for a good while, they said what needed to be said already, no point in repeating himself

Kriss, cant get on to the Steam website, can get online with steam program but the Store, News and Community pages are all down

Quote Originally Posted by themadsheep2001 View Post
    Yep, been repeating itself for a good while, they said what needed to be said already, no point in repeating himself

Kriss, cant get on to the Steam website, can get online with steam program but the Store, News and Community pages are all down
    Are you on BT for your ISP? Looking at the forum, it seems no-one with BT can get on the site atm.

I'm looking at them now with no problem so I'm completely at a loss as to why you can't

Youth Team

Same for me actually - that's never happened before.

Are you on BT for your ISP? Looking at the forum, it seems no-one with BT can get on the site atm.
    as a matter of fact I am on BT. Cheers for that bit of info

and it looks like both BT and Steam are ignoring the problems. Wonderful....

Youth Team

Working fine for me on Firefox. Logged in no problemo.

Working fine for me on Firefox. Logged in no problemo.
    Are you on BT though?

Can't log into the Steam site using the proxy though :mad:

Youth Team

I don't know I'm in work. Not sure who they use.

Perhaps contact BT? Could be an issue with them.

Yeh, looking at that it seems BT Infinity is the culprit, a few conspiracy theories floating around too. e.g.

"Might have nothing to do with it but it seems a
    bit of a coincidence that this stated pretty much when they launched onlive uk,
    which is partnered with BT.
    "

Yeh, looking at that it seems BT Infinity is the culprit, a few conspiracy theories floating around too. e.g.

"Might have nothing to do with it but it seems a
    bit of a coincidence that this stated pretty much when they launched onlive uk,
    which is partnered with BT.
    "

Not just Infinity, I'm on a standard package. The above really wouldn't suprise me though in this day and age.

Part-Timer

I cleared all those things, Kriss, a lot of us weren't born yesterday. If you google "steam offline error" you might get surprised at how many sites (not just Steam) that discuss this problem so for sure I am not alone, I don't know how far back it goes but the earilest post I saw was from september 2007. The funny thing is that now (just checked again after clearing the few cookies I have accumulated since last night) when I hit either the steam icon or the FM11 icon it now reads "steam is already running, you may only run one copy of steam at a time...".

I better get a hold of Steam support, I just hope they don't put me through the whole clear cache's, clear blobs & clear cookies again because then I will have to do the whole dance & charade again...
    Last edited by Loversleaper; 26-09-2011 at 13:05.

The general gist I'm getting from looking around is that BT have deliberately blocked the Steam store and anything related to it because with the sale on, they don't want people 'clogging up' the lines by downloading large files, which if true will have just lost BT a customer. Absolute disgrace.

Reserves

Hardly, Steam has already coped with far bigger numbers than FM will ever produce.
    exactly, people need to remember FM is a very small fish in a huge pond when your talking about steam, far bigger games with bigger audiences have been released on steam without any server issues. FM is not going to bring down steam, it prob wont even touch the sides so to speak.

Part-Timer

I think its a bit odd that its been commented that the reason SI/Sega have gone with Steam is to increase their profits. That's kinda the point of a company, y'know, to make money and that.

The general gist I'm getting from looking around is that BT have deliberately blocked the Steam store and anything related to it because with the sale on, they don't want people 'clogging up' the lines by downloading large files, which if true will have just lost BT a customer. Absolute disgrace.
    I know we used to get huge problems on FML because certain ISP's throttled to control traffic, BT were the worst followed closely by Virgin, it's scandalous tbh.

I cleared all those things, Kriss, a lot of us weren't born yesterday. If you google "steam offline error" you might get surprised at how many sites (not just Steam) that discuss this problem so for sure I am not alone, I don't know how far back it goes but the earilest post I saw was from september 2007. The funny thing is that now (just checked again after clearing the few cookies I have accumulated since last night) when I hit either the steam icon or the FM11 icon it now reads "steam is already running, you may only run one copy of steam at a time...".

I better get a hold of Steam support, I just hope they don't put me through the whole clear cache's, clear blobs & clear cookies again because then I will have to do the whole dance & charade again...
    At this stage I'd be doing a complete clean reinstall of Steam after deleting every trace of it tbh

I know we used to get huge problems on FML because certain ISP's throttled to control traffic, BT were the worst followed closely by Virgin, it's scandalous tbh.
    What a joke. Do they not get the fact that people use the internet for gaming?

Edit- just run a tracert on the IP address and it just says 'General Failure'. Looks like BT are going to be getting an angry phonecall.
    Last edited by metal_guitarist; 26-09-2011 at 13:13.

Loversleaper- if you can get to it, try logging in with your username in lowercase. Apparently it fixes the problem.

Part-Timer

Loversleaper- if you can get to it, try logging in with your username in lowercase. Apparently it fixes the problem.
    I have already stated that when I hit the icons I can't even get to that stage, when I goto start>steam>exit steam it still reads "steam is already running...". The only real option I have left is to unistall and try to reinstall. I can't download at the office and will have to wait untill tonight when I get home, I was hoping that others that have steam problems try this and get back if this is a feasible solution...

Closed Thread
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast