Closed Thread
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 4173

Thread: A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

  1. #901
    Sports Interactive Bertie BG's Avatar
    Join Date
    15th January 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0gris View Post
    Bertie, just a short question, what steam features will FM12 utilise. Can we expect the usual steamwork achievements, or are we going to get steam cloud and further steamworks features such as a server browser as well? Stats tracking and such as well would be pretty nifty.
    To be honest again, I'm not 100% sure as I'm not personally involved in the set up we have with Steam. Nor could I say if I did know tbh at it might well be something Miles has planned for a blog, I don't know. There will definitely be achievements though.

  2. #902
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    9th March 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, US
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    I hope you trust the projected amount of lost customers expected, against the amount of pirates you hope to turn into customers, due to this course of action, because it's looking pretty shaky to me.
    Customers lost for what? Using an amazing platform that Steam is? I'm really getting tired of everybody's crap.

  3. #903
    Sports Interactive Bertie BG's Avatar
    Join Date
    15th January 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    I hope you trust the projected amount of lost customers expected, against the amount of pirates you hope to turn into customers, due to this course of action, because it's looking pretty shaky to me.
    The guys who made this decision would not have done so if they didn't think it would result in more people buying the game this year than before. We won't know if that's the case or whether you're right until after release.

  4. #904
    Amateur
    Join Date
    19th October 2006
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    371

    Default

    i have steam and use it to play most of my games. I have never had any problems with it and regard it as a fantastic resource. It uses almost no resources and opens up a whole new community. Often you can find games on there at great prices and as an Australian i am sooo happy that steam have fm 2012 at $40 US which is about the cheapest price i could expect to find anywhere in Australia or on the internet. Already preordered!

    Having said that i can understand how some people feel a bit funny about having to install another piece of software on their computers in order to play the game. All i can say to those who are wondering about steam is that for me and the vast majority of people steam is a really great tool and they just may get hooked on it if they get it..

  5. #905
    Reserves
    Join Date
    29th December 2006
    Location
    2011 Best FMCU Poster!
    Posts
    12,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    I hope you trust the projected amount of lost customers expected, against the amount of pirates you hope to turn into customers, due to this course of action, because it's looking pretty shaky to me.
    I'm sure the people at Sega thought this through on the financial impacts before making this kind of decision. You and I won't know the specific effects till a couple weeks after FM12 is released at the earliest.

  6. #906
    Amateur
    Join Date
    1st September 2008
    Posts
    178

    Default

    I just got an achievement type thing pop up for submitting my 250th Steam support ticket. About the same issue :L Now sort it please Steam? Pretty please. *cries*

  7. #907
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th August 2008
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    368

    Default

    I think at this point SI is actually thinking(hoping rather) that people buy the game with steam rather than retail, and i wouldnt be surprised if retail was phased out in a few years... Just my two cents but it would be a smart business move.

    Also pig, lost customers. What you and lazaru5? Yes, your 10 quid profit will be sorely missed. Dont think that this will impact sale numbers too much, it wont, if anything SI will make a bigger profit due to more sales over steam.

    And honestly, lets all be grateful it isnt using GFWL, oh god that thing is dire.

    I'm sure the people at Sega thought this through on the financial impacts before making this kind of decision. You and I won't know the specific effects till a couple weeks after FM12 is released at the earliest.
    You could predict them though, it all depends on the amount of retail vs steam sales, SI is definetly pushing for one of those... it isn't hard to figure out why either.

  8. #908
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Neil Brock, you closed my thread! Where's the Poll? Can't that be left open or transferred? What's going on?


    EDIT:
    I've left this long enough but can't see anything different being posted in there than the other thread. Am closing this, you can continue to discuss FM activation here - http://community.sigames.com/showthr...012-Activation

    Cheers.
    Thank you Neil, does the poll not count as something different, or is it difficult to watch?
    Last edited by pigfacemonkeyman; 17-09-2011 at 03:32.

  9. #909
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Whilst the majority understand the reason why this is happening, some of the complaints are for the fact of having to install this software for just one game. Why do I need a new community, when this one does me fine, why do I need a library for my games when I only play FM, even sold my Xbox360 because I stopped going on it.

    Steam maybe a great bit of software, I've never used it. If the activation method was just to go onto the SI website enter the Activation code, I think whilst there would still be a few moaners there would be nothing of this scale.

  10. #910
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom_numbers View Post
    DVDs bring a whole range of third party encryptions and protections to stop you from being able to rip them, but you're never informed of them. Would you feel the same way if before any film, you were given a large screen informing you that the DVD Copy Control Association had protected this disc, and that your DVD player had to have their certified software to read it?
    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    And do you have to download these from the internet and have them running in order to play your game?
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_numbers View Post
    If what one of the mods said earlier in this thread is true (I'm sorry, but I can't remember who or when), a copy of Steam could be shipped on the play disc, and yes, the 'activation' does have to be left open throughout.

    I agree, it's a flawed comparision, but it just seems that Steam has been singled out as the worst third party software ever simply for being the only one not to shroud itself in secrecy.
    You have your wires crossed, I never mentioned Steam. I was asking you about that which appears in bold above. So, my question in the second quote?

  11. #911
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th August 2008
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    368

    Default

    You remain optimistic, but i think there would still be complaints over anything other than a bog standard disk install(Surprised how people can handle CD-keys nowadays). And sort of online verification is a no no to a lot of people... you get used to it very easily though.

    As to answer your question pigfacemonkeyman. You don't have to download anything, you do have to punch in a serial number however, each to his own on that. But i'd much rather have a program running idle in the background than have something in my disk drive, it's pretty much the same thing(And yes, CD checks do take time, arguably longer than steam takes to boot up in some cases). I'm seriously considering not even bothering to get an optical drive with my next PC, it's not required and the only thing it does is be obnoxiously LOUD.
    Last edited by 0gris; 17-09-2011 at 02:56.

  12. #912
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dune297 View Post
    Customers lost for what? Using an amazing platform that Steam is? I'm really getting tired of everybody's crap.
    Then I suggest an early night with a good book, maybe Oscar Wilde.

  13. #913
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    4th April 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    You have your wires crossed, I never mentioned Steam. I was asking you about that which appears in bold above. So, my question in the second quote?
    I know, but it is getting late

    For DVD players, you do not need to download the various bits and bobs because they're sold hardwired. However, I have had to download new codecs for my laptop to deal with various different video formats. These codecs then do need to run constantly in the background. For example, I know that somewhere, K-Lite codec pack is running on my laptop.

  14. #914
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd November 2008
    Posts
    267

    Default

    I'd be interested to know how that thing was set up where if someone had a pirated copy of the game their Euro championship was turned upside down after they qualified. How can that be done without intrusively looking at the content of someone's computer?

    Personally I know a few people who have pirated it, and I also know they talk about being sick of the bugs, the bell and whistle "updates" rather than new games and so on. I also know however that they pirate games they think are the best around.

    IMO we are living in the age of piracy and given a choice between my computer being invaded by god-knows-who or what company and software companies going out of business, I know which one I will choose. It happens in every field and until the law changes there will be no solution. My guess anyway is that companies don't have long to wait before the people's privacy loses its final battle, in fact in England and the US I thought it had already been trampled on with little resistance. How long can it be before companies have a limited ability to check the content of their game and their game only and people have indemnity on other issues? Economically Europe needs stuff like this now.

  15. #915
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom_numbers View Post
    I know, but it is getting late

    For DVD players, you do not need to download the various bits and bobs because they're sold hardwired. However, I have had to download new codecs for my laptop to deal with various different video formats. These codecs then do need to run constantly in the background. For example, I know that somewhere, K-Lite codec pack is running on my laptop.
    That has nothing to do with FM and activation thru' steam.

  16. #916
    Banned
    Join Date
    17th October 2007
    Posts
    24

    Default

    This is awful news and has really put a dampner on my excitement for the game. It doesn't suprise me, especially after last years Steam exclusive demo, it is obvious that SI and/or Sega have their longterm vision for the series. I expect they could tell us precisely which version of FM they expect to ship exclusively in digital form.

    It really bugs me that SI have on more than one occasion acknowledged Steam's ridiculous price strategy, and said that people who don't like it should just buy a proper priced hard copy of the game from Amazon. Once these hard copies are phased out, which will 100% happen, us FM fans will have to pay £39.99 or Euros 49.99, which are both actual steam list prices from FM 11, for those who think I am being sensationalist.

    SI and Sega: You are aligning with a company that is happy to screw its customers.

    Secondly, SI claimed last year that they make no more money from sales via Steam, despite the obvious savings digital distribution provides. Either 1, this is a lie, and unfortunately I believe it is, or 2 SI and Sega: You are aligning with a company that is happy to screw the game devs too!

    No doubt we will continue to hear SI saying "It's because of piracy. It's because of piracy," but they have previously expressed on here a knowledge that the majority of people who pirate the game wouldn't play it at all if they had to pay for it, because that's who most pirates are. It grates with me because at a time when SI get increasing amounts of criticism for neglecting their fanbase, they again inconvenience (however small it may be) their existing fans in a futile attempt to salvage a lost cause.

    I think Steam is a solid product, and have never had any problems using it, but to give people no choice is a real slap in the face in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles Jacobson View Post
    But, as keeps being pointed out, there's lots of consumer choice out there, and that's the best thing for all of us.
    But what does Miles Jacobsen know eh?

    I am truly, truly disappointed about this, and if I can control my addiction well enough to make a point, I will not be buying this years version, or any other that forces the use of Steam.


    Quote Originally Posted by pauly1616 View Post
    I'd be interested to know how that thing was set up where if someone had a pirated copy of the game their Euro championship was turned upside down after they qualified. How can that be done without intrusively looking at the content of someone's computer?
    I believe the Demo release was coded to mess up the Euro groups, so that people who were playing with the inevitable demo-extender crack would suffer this problem, and people who started a new game on the full release would not.

    However somehow SI failed to remember that one of their own major selling points for the demo was the ability to continue it on the full game, and so loads of legitimate customers had to suffer their game being ruined, with some even being accused of piracy by SI, which was quite funny. A very good point to bring up, I had forgotten about this.
    Last edited by El_Strict; 17-09-2011 at 03:41.

  17. #917
    Amateur
    Join Date
    24th November 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    from Sega's David..
    >>This year we have found what we believe is an acceptable solution. Any version of Football Manager 2012 bought on disc will have to be activated through the Steam network, so therefore purchasers will have to have an internet connection for initial activation. This is a one-time only activation which requires you to sign up for a Steam account (which is free) and to install the Steam client and once it has been done the game can be played offline by turning on Steam's Offline mode. With those two simple steps done there are no more hoops to jump through or steps to take.

    Oh golly ! And there was I 2 years ago thinking how enlightened of SI Games to have Steam as an OPTION as well as the normal
    CD in the drive.
    There is a mighty problem with Steam Accounts.
    When you are finished with a game linked to the Valve/Steam nexus, the CD-Key is not released when you uninstall said game.
    This is because they still do not like the idea of us game owners (and that is what we are, despite Valve's "license only" bollocks) having the gall to want to sell our finished game on to another lucky punter.
    This flies in the face of all recognised commercial transactions..be it for books, cars,... you name it.
    I suspect it's because with 2nd hand games Valve (ie Gabe Newell) don't get a share of the extra transaction.
    The fact that Newell worked at Microsoft for some years prior to founding Valve says it all really !
    Please SI..we are your loyal fans..give us a break.
    I feel sickened by this decision to have Steam only access.
    Note..it is not a good commercial decision if your purchasers are deprived in any way.
    Your "bottom line" is NOT an entitlement !!

  18. #918
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    9th March 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, US
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philbaby View Post
    from Sega's David..
    >>This year we have found what we believe is an acceptable solution. Any version of Football Manager 2012 bought on disc will have to be activated through the Steam network, so therefore purchasers will have to have an internet connection for initial activation. This is a one-time only activation which requires you to sign up for a Steam account (which is free) and to install the Steam client and once it has been done the game can be played offline by turning on Steam's Offline mode. With those two simple steps done there are no more hoops to jump through or steps to take.

    Oh golly ! And there was I 2 years ago thinking how enlightened of SI Games to have Steam as an OPTION as well as the normal
    CD in the drive.
    There is a mighty problem with Steam Accounts.
    When you are finished with a game linked to the Valve/Steam nexus, the CD-Key is not released when you uninstall said game.
    This is because they still do not like the idea of us game owners (and that is what we are, despite Valve's "license only" bollocks) having the gall to want to sell our finished game on to another lucky punter.
    This flies in the face of all recognised commercial transactions..be it for books, cars,... you name it.
    I suspect it's because with 2nd hand games Valve (ie Gabe Newell) don't get a share of the extra transaction.
    The fact that Newell worked at Microsoft for some years prior to founding Valve says it all really !
    Please SI..we are your loyal fans..give us a break.
    I feel sickened by this decision to have Steam only access.
    Note..it is not a good commercial decision if your purchasers are deprived in any way.
    Your "bottom line" is NOT an entitlement !!
    Are you really that misinformed. It is ILLEGAL to resell a game. Steam prevents games from being resold. If you were ever so patient to actaully read what you are purchasing you should know that it prohibits the reselling of games. So what you have done in the past is illegal. Reselling games in contributing to piracy. After you finish one game, you can resell it and the devs don't make anything more. Multiple people can play one game and the devs would only receive the money for one copy. I'm glad you are admitting to doing something that is illegal.

  19. #919
    Amateur
    Join Date
    5th September 2008
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by x42bn6 View Post
    No, it's not. It's game theory and much more complicated than that. You underestimate the power of word-of-mouth.

    This series is heavily-pirated, partly because it is so awesome. However, pirates spread word-of-mouth too. In poorer nations, piracy will be close to 100% but then again, once that nation starts developing, or the game becomes really tempting, some of that percentage will turn into paying customers. You could not do that if piracy didn't exist.

    If you like, you will get more direct benefits, but less indirect benefits.

    Plus, there is the awkward area where pirates actually buy more. Stamp out piracy and you stamp out these customers.

    There are some pirates whom you will never make money off - those aren't of your concern. Your concern is those who might buy but don't for whatever reasonable reason. Those people may pay you in the future. Not those who will never buy.

    If your product sells 100 copies and is pirated 1000 times, there is no difference to your direct bottom line if your product sells 100 copies and is pirated 10000 times. The piracy rate is a bit of a misnomer. If your piracy rate is high, all it means is that you have more potential future customers to tap into - that's it.



    Do you think this actually matters? Anyone who obtains your product before the actual release date is pirating, whether it's Steam-only or not. The product can be leaked whether it's Steam-only or not. Whether it's Steam-only or not does not matter.



    Strawman much? Nobody has said that you've reduced our choices in purchasing the software - you've reduced our choices in activating the software.



    This is true for pretty much every single piece of software out there. Let's not pretend FM is special here.

    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...re-piracy-rate

    Look at that!



    I think this poll is going in the right direction then.

    Sure, most people might not mind... But it's the customers you've lost that surely matter.

    Like I said, this will be a pyrrhic victory in your fight for piracy, and don't be surprised if your bottom line is impacted by it. Piracy rate is just one of those mildly interesting KPIs that organisations love to optimise, but the bottom line is what truly matters.

    I am a developer, and I have developed software before. I've seen it pirated before. I've released digital work under copyright and seen it misused without my permission before. You feel indignation, anger and annoyance when you see this - how dare this person take my work and use them for free, perhaps to his or her own benefit! However, I took a step back and thought about it - they used my work because they thought it was fun, useful or exciting for them. It helped them in some way. Then I think that there could be loads more people out there who appreciate my work, and that is the market I need to aim for. People will always pirate my work - but it is those who appreciate it and reuse it with permission who really mean something to me. I treat these people as "trialists" who can be converted into customers. It's where you realise that you feel indignation, anger and annoyance due to a loss of control, not a financial loss. I put my heart and soul into that piece of work, and someone misuses it - that effort feels for nothing. Yet I know that that person is only helping me become more known indirectly - I may benefit from it further down the line.

    What I really need to care about is keeping my existing customer-base, and growing it.

    You cannot stop piracy by making piracy more tempting. Reducing choice does exactly that - it drives people to pirate, where they can get a piece of software with less of a burden.

    Piracy needs to be treated more as an overhead and an opportunity rather than a slammed-shut door.

    Photoshop is an example. I'd guess most copies of Photoshop are pirated nowadays, and have been for a while. However, the kid that gets his or her hands grubby with a pirated version of Photoshop and falls in love with it is likely to become a paying licensee when he or she graduates from University with an Art degree into the media industry. All this means is that Photoshop has found a potential market for budding art students, and that if it can make its software so awesome and value-for-money that young students start using it, the company benefits in the long run.

    Look at this: http://piracy.ssrc.org/adobe-logic/

    Bill Gates has spoke on getting China drunk on Microsoft software (pirated, of course), so that when China's economy grows, Microsoft essentially locks-in and silos the Chinese into Microsoft products, benefiting them in the long run. Windows and Office are pirated heavily, but the last thing Microsoft wants to do is come down hard on it right now.

    Spread your seeds, and wait for them to blossom.

    I must stress that I believe piracy is wrong, since it is against the law in many countries - but there are ways to tackle piracy that are perhaps not that logical at first. One example is legalising drugs - for some, there might be incredulous gasps, but if you think about it, it's not the most idiotic suggestion in the world (i.e. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...isation-report - although I know this is controversial in itself).

    This is the best forum post i have ever seen. But unfortunately some people who work for SI/SEGA are too close minded to see that piracy isnt only a bad thing.

  20. #920
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th November 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by santy001 View Post
    I'm afraid you're horribly naive if you believe activation through steam is a solution at all. It may well prevent illegal versions being available before the retail game this year though but within 48 hours of release anyone who wants it illegally would have it. I'm not trying to provoke a reaction here, this is merely the way it is. Anyone whos into gaming and goes through websites talking about them will see the links and explanations littered around websites. Steam has become one of the easiest platforms to break through games on, unfortunately all this will serve to do is irritate more people than it helps.

    To actually stand a chance of thwarting piracy you'll need something new, steam is at best a 2 day delay, DRM protection usually ends up with keygens and no-cd .exe's. The current technology is very much outdated.

    Whilst not entirely efficient it would stump most users if you had a little bit of code that connected to something online with SI to check its genuine - if it fails this check then corrupt the save files. Not many games use this at all never mind to corrupt a save, but just a ping of certain data every 10 hours or so of play (of course those offline would still be able to get around it unless they reconnected) but it would be far less intrusive and would actually cause most piraters to give up. It could even be at random intervals, there would be nothing more frustrating to someone pirating the game if after they just get promoted or something their game pings the server, is found to be a false copy and they lose their save games as well as the FM.exe going down.

    Still I'll do my part and when I see FM torrents linked around I will provide them to Sega/SI to deal with, I genuinely expect to see it available illegally before legally again though.
    You seriously would be happy with a remote connection being able to alter(destroy) files on your system then?

  21. #921
    Amateur
    Join Date
    23rd July 2011
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FM1000 View Post
    This is the best forum post i have ever seen.
    Agree with this. Top post from x42bn6.
    Last edited by Frito84; 17-09-2011 at 04:55.

  22. #922
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th August 2008
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Which is already featured in windows? Yeah.

    Quote Originally Posted by FM1000
    This is the best forum post i have ever seen. But unfortunately some people who work for SI/SEGA are too close minded to see that piracy isnt only a bad thing.
    The post is sort of half and half, he's right about piracy, but steam wont encourage piracy. Now, valve doesnt release how much a game sold, but 40 odd million users on steam means they're not doing too badly in that regard. Steam wont have that "massive" impact everyone is pretending it will have, it'll cause people to sigh install it and move on(honestly, it's harder to install a game these days than use steam). The 3 lost customers wont matter. People who would pirate the game in the first place, would do it anyway, people who wouldnt pirate it, still wont pirate it. People who are on the fence? Well chances are they wont be hugely affected by this, everyone seems to just take steam as a program and apply such a massive hyperbole to the sales lost value that it boggles my mind. Remember, in the end, FM is a niche game, it's not something for the mass market. And even then, there are some games with MORE restrictive DRM that sell insane amounts(Starcraft 2 comes to mind). It's not about the DRM, it's about what incentives can you give someone in order to use it. It's down to SI as to how much they will utilise the features from steam, the more they do, the easier it will be to convince the consumer that it is indeed, the right choice.

    In the end, stop saying that steam will be a catastrophe for sales, it wont. As i've said, it's going to be a minor inconvience to people, but they wont care, they didnt for half life 2, or any other game that requires steam, they wont care if FM uses it. IF people actually do decide to pirate the game based on the DRM however(especially steam which is hardly restrictive despite what people would have you believe), then i am at a loss for words. As that would basically mean people on this very forum would openly commit to piracy.

    Meh, either way it's pointless, people will complain about steam, people will defend it, but the bottom line wont be changed that much. Also, theres a reason these people are hired and you're not; They have a much bigger grasp on finances than anyone in this thread. The only company that seems to be an exception to that rule is ubisoft, which i have no idea WHAT the hell it's trying to do with it's DRM features. Even EA is being reasonable about it, ubisoft just takes the ****.

    As for piracy, it can be a good thing when used by a person who has his head on straight. Pirates mostly do not. They have the mentality of "I love this game and the developer did a great job, i'd pay it for them but why if i can have it for free?". You have to realise that yes, there are pirates who pirate games out of neccesity(lack of funds) or due to DRM, but they are negligible, the majority of pirates just dont want to pay for something full stop.
    Last edited by 0gris; 17-09-2011 at 04:58.

  23. #923
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd November 2008
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dune297 View Post
    Are you really that misinformed. It is ILLEGAL to resell a game. Steam prevents games from being resold. If you were ever so patient to actaully read what you are purchasing you should know that it prohibits the reselling of games. So what you have done in the past is illegal. Reselling games in contributing to piracy. After you finish one game, you can resell it and the devs don't make anything more. Multiple people can play one game and the devs would only receive the money for one copy. I'm glad you are admitting to doing something that is illegal.
    Just read this, and out of curiosity (not siding one way or the other) - if it is illegal to resell a game, why are GAME, HMV and Gamestation not having any trouble buying and selling pre-owned games? This practice is literally accepted by all the publishers and developers without any lawsuit being made. If it was illegal, I assure you, these three companies would have stopped by now or they would have been facing very heavy consequences. Not to mention that eBay has a section entirely devoted to this practice. Are you sure it's illegal?

  24. #924
    Amateur
    Join Date
    17th February 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    What a shame, I like having the option of using the disc over steam, I even wish that more games would give you this option. I doubt I will pick up the game now, thanks for saving me £25.

  25. #925
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th May 2006
    Posts
    1,579

    Default

    I believe that the only way in this case to figure out what the right thing to do is to wait for the free market to respond. The game is not a government mandate or any form of social control, and what a company should do is focus on the bottom line, and no one can fault them for trying to do that. In the end, if sales soar, then we know that they have successfully converted people from piracy by making a game of high enough quality to convince people to buy copies. If sales drop then we know that people may have found the hassle too much, or are fundamentally against the idea of steam activation. If the sales remain the same however, that's probably not a good thing for anyone.

    We do have a choice whether to buy the game or not. It's a bit poo that I can't pass the game on to a friend or family member after I'm done with it but if I do want to play it, then I have to live with it. It's also dumb that steam doesn't work like it should all the time. I sympathize with people who can't activate their game or update it because of not having internet, but then I also sympathize with people who have computers who can't play the game, or don't have computers at all, or are physically disabled so they can't play the game. The company set the requirement and if we don't meet it, then I guess it's not for us. With all due respect to people who may get alienated by the development of the game, making the developers accommodate everyone is just going to drag down the quality of the game.

    That being said, I do expect something back from the company. If the sales go up as much as they say it is, then something needs to come back to us. If the extra money does in fact give them the resources to make the game better, then we will be expecting a jump in quality in line with the money earned from doing this in the next editions of the game, or a price decrease in the future. I've mentioned this over and over again, but if the developers want to earn extra revenue at our expense by using in-game ads, or not allowing us to resell the game, that a single household needs multiple copies, or forcing us to install third-party applications to run it (as they are surely profiting from this) then they had better make it worth our while.
    Last edited by MSCCG; 17-09-2011 at 05:49.

  26. #926
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd November 2008
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Just noticed the other thread had been closed but my post was not replied to, so I figured I'd post it here, too...

    __

    Hmm. I don't like it. I prefer the "use the CD at all times" option which I've done for FM09, FM10 and FM11. Now, I don't know if I'll decide against buying the game just because of Steam. I'm interested in knowing whether or not it is possible to force activation via Steam while still allowing you to uninstall Steam afterwards and continue playing? It's been a long time since I've touched Steam and I just don't like the idea of logging into third party software just so I can play a game.

    Also, if I buy the game in a store and play it using Steam, can Steam still block me from playing? If for some reason my account is lost, banned or whatever, can I still just re-activate the game again on a different login? Or is this how Steam does things? I'm honestly not sure. I think I only ever played one game on Steam and, again, it was quite some time ago and obviously not long enough for me to get a real opinion of the system. All I got out of my Steam experience is that it was an annoyance and I was happy to uninstall it, much like I was happy to uninstall that Raptor software some games come with.

    It's really disappointing more than anything. And I will be stunned if somehow this genuinely stops the piracy of the game. If I were to visit a torrent site the day after buying a game, would I see Football Manager 2012 there? I'm fairly confident I would. I buy the game because I love it, and I like having physical copies of games. I'm glad that SI aren't stopping me from being able to buy the game at stores because of that. But do I have to install Steam just to stop people pirating the game? Is this a realistic expectation? Again, I'll be stunned if any PC game out there is not pirated. It's, rather sadly, the way of things. Console gaming fixes a lot of that, and I suppose Xbox Live and Playstation Network are effectively the same as Steam, but I just don't like the idea of having a software literally controlling the access to my games. PSN / XBL do not control access to games. Steam does. I guess that's the difference. And that's the part I don't like. =/

    EDIT: If this is just down to people pirating the game BEFORE the day of release, perhaps SI could release another no-Steam-required game a month or two later? I would honestly wait that long if it meant I could buy the game without requiring Steam. I don't mind the idea of Steam being required for activation. I just mind the idea of Steam being required to play the game for all eternity (or at least until FM2013).

  27. #927
    Amateur
    Join Date
    24th November 2006
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I have just heard FM12 will only be installable through Steam and I have to say I'm disgusted. Anyone can tell you the majority of your paying customers don't like or appreciate being forced to play through Steam. It's foistware. I don't want that crap on my PC. I want to play FM, not install some unrelated program. I won't be buying FM12 because of this and I have been playing the series since Championship Manager 3.
    Last edited by rattlenhum; 17-09-2011 at 05:53.

  28. #928
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th August 2009
    Location
    The North West
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I use Steam and it annoys me. Sometimes it wont even go into offline mode if I forget my log in details. And if I forget them and I have no internet that day, I am basically screwed.

  29. #929
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th February 2006
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    EDIT: If this is just down to people pirating the game BEFORE the day of release, perhaps SI could release another no-Steam-required game a month or two later? I would honestly wait that long if it meant I could buy the game without requiring Steam. I don't mind the idea of Steam being required for activation. I just mind the idea of Steam being required to play the game for all eternity (or at least until FM2013).
    The Problem if they did that would be the pirates will know and just wait for the non-steam-required game.

  30. #930
    Amateur
    Join Date
    3rd November 2006
    Posts
    53

    Default

    I'd say 930+ responses in 17 hours gives you an idea of the level of feeling on this topic. Steam is no problem for me but I can understand the concerns that many have raised on this over the years.

  31. #931
    Amateur
    Join Date
    10th April 2003
    Location
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Well done guys...hopefully this way the game doesn't get cracked two days before official release and saves me the headache (to pirate it or not to pirate it) - last year I've pre-ordered it on Steam weeks ago, but when I saw the game available a couple of days early it wasn't easy...

  32. #932
    Amateur
    Join Date
    10th April 2003
    Location
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenChap View Post
    I use Steam and it annoys me. Sometimes it wont even go into offline mode if I forget my log in details. And if I forget them and I have no internet that day, I am basically screwed.
    If you don't have interent connection and Steam won't start just pull out internet cable from your computer or manually disable the wireless on your desktop. Then Steam will ask you if you want to start in offline mode.

  33. #933
    Amateur
    Join Date
    10th April 2003
    Location
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts
    922

    Default

    I don't get the moaning about having to install 3rd party software... what about directx...what about frame network...etc.

  34. #934
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    24th November 2005
    Location
    1 year, 2 trophies. 3 more in 4 years - what dya reckon?
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Having slept on this I am rather disturbed that SI's attitude to FM'ers with no internet facility is "later W*nkers!". I expected better, cant imagine the Collyer Bros would have aproved of such a future delelopment in Corporate policy when they created the 1st CM. Im sure they are anti-pirates much as anyone but SI seem to be treating those without the net in a shoddy fashion - shame.

    To be honest I dont really care about anyone playing pirated copies compared to caring how I can access the game myself and as has been previously stated pirated copies are generally owned by those who would not pay for the game (rather go without), those who cannot afford £30-£40, those who cannot access copies of the game commercially and those who have been ripped off thinking they had the real deal. As it seems pirates always get that cracked product in the end I wonder how many £'s in real terms the game would lose through piracy, less than the Corporate predictions no doubt. This is surely Sega protecting their profit margin - no more, no less.

    Actually there are more pro-Steam opinions than I was expecting so I will await 21st Oct with hope.

  35. #935
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    27,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BayernMB View Post
    I don't get the moaning about having to install 3rd party software... what about directx...what about frame network...etc.
    Apparently only things you can rant at SI about qualify, all other third party software is to be ignored;)

  36. #936
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    27,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerhgrrrrrr View Post
    Actually there are more pro-Steam opinions than I was expecting so I will await 21st Oct with hope.
    I'm pretty sure that's because it's become a generally trouble free app for the vast majority of people who use it, and whether or not you consider the bonuses and bargains that come it with interesting or not initially, you'll find there's something worth having for just about everybody.

  37. #937
    Amateur
    Join Date
    25th July 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    46

    Default

    The only problem I have with Steam is that I have to pay 49.99 Euro to buy it from them :/ :/ Why can't it be 30 like other places?

    I can't believe some of the comments I've read though. How can you seriously say that because of Steam you won't buy the game?! This is insane, all they're asking for is a TINY sacrifice, if you can even call it that! I know that the majority of people REALLY love the game, and would do so much more in order to get hold of it!! (I'd spend weeks cleaning the streets if I was told that's my only chance of getting FM!). To say 'I won't buy because of Steam' is really and truly seriously questioning your loyalty and love for the game - don't this that by starting your posts with 'I'm a loyal customer because I've bought since CM2' is making you look nice, quite the opposite, if you're not willing to back the decision of SI/SEGA in order to help your gaming experience improve.

    Even if it DOES NOT improve, still, there is no risk or waste of time or anything whatsoever.

  38. #938
    Amateur
    Join Date
    7th November 2008
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    124

    Default

    I live in New Zealand and the first time SI went with the Steam option on FM 09 I think it was I spent a horrid weekend trying to get the damn thing installed, it was an extremely annoying situation that very briefly made me consider quitting the series altogether.

    Now I'm sure that SI are aware of those issues that we had down under as I finally managed to actually play the game thanks to the SI team, so I would like to know if SI has learned from that bitter experience and that when I pop in my legally purchased copy of FM 2012 on the release date that I will be able to install and activate and be playing the game within minutes.

    If so then fantastic, I await with the usual pleasure and excitement, please let there not be a if not...

    SI, will users in other territories such as New Zealand be able to install, activate and play without the issues that plagued us the first time you tried this?

    Thank you.

  39. #939
    Amateur
    Join Date
    25th July 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    46

    Default

    And for crying out loud!! Who in the world, who can afford a PC/laptop good enough to run FM, CANNOT get hold of an internet connection for two bloody minutes?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!! Some people are so disillusioned!

  40. #940
    Amateur
    Join Date
    7th October 2008
    Posts
    983

    Default

    I havent read all the pages of this post.

    But has it been answered what to do, if you are unable to connect to Steam due the ports needed are blocked in a firewall, and you have no possibility to open these ports (27500-27510 i think)?

    This is the same issue on FM2011 I know that, but it really is annoying - have you or steam thought about giving access through normal http (port 80) or https (port 443) ?

  41. #941
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    27,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    The only problem I have with Steam is that I have to pay 49.99 Euro to buy it from them :/ :/ Why can't it be 30 like other places?.
    You don't have to, you can buy on disc for as cheap as you can get and just use Steam to authenticate.

  42. #942
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    20th September 2007
    Location
    Voller/Ramos/Miller
    Posts
    1,894

    Default

    I'm sure I remember a thread like this when SI announced the copy protection in FM09, now whilst that didn't work, everyone here knows it didn't work because they still went out and bought the game. Obviously I dont know the figures but I'd be willing to stick my neck out and saying that all that uproar that was caused still didnt affect sales. Admittedly Steam can be seen as an 'inconvenience' but a lot of things people are saying here are untrue. I think the majority of people complaining will still buy the game, Sega aren't going to change their mind so save your complaining for FM13 is my advice ;)

    Hopefully SI will release the demo on Steam so you can all give it a go and form your own opinions. Don't knock it until you've tried

  43. #943
    Amateur
    Join Date
    25th July 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Hehe yes yes I know ;) It's just that since we now have to use Steam anyway, I would have preferred to buy it from there to avoid having to wait for the delivery of the item (to buy it from shops in Malta would ALSO cost around 50 Euro, hehe, so I prefer to get it from abroad). Last year it came a week late from Zavvi (it was pre-ordered).

    I'm now looking into the download thing from Shop-To. Does anyone know how that will work exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    You don't have to, you can buy on disc for as cheap as you can get and just use Steam to authenticate.

  44. #944
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    27,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Hehe yes yes I know ;) It's just that since we now have to use Steam anyway, I would have preferred to buy it from there to avoid having to wait for the delivery of the item (to buy it from shops in Malta would ALSO cost around 50 Euro, hehe, so I prefer to get it from abroad). Last year it came a week late from Zavvi (it was pre-ordered).

    I'm now looking into the download thing from Shop-To. Does anyone know how that will work exactly?
    Yeh, understood, I think I'd bite the bullet and go with Steam just for the convenience and guarantee that I'll be playing from midnight on release day.

  45. #945
    Amateur
    Join Date
    24th November 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    >Are you really that misinformed. It is ILLEGAL to resell a game.
    Eh ?
    Since when ?
    The second hand market is alive and well in Australia, and I'd be surprised if this were not the case everywhere else as well.
    I'm bemused by your comment mate.
    If Valve try to prevent the reselling of games, they are sailing close to the wind. In most places you'll find this behaviour borders on "restrictive trade practices".
    This is illegal in Australia certainly, and maybe gamers in the US should call Valve's bluff.
    If I was anybody in SI I wouldn't go near Steam. It may not do any gaming house's reputation any good in the long run.
    Thankfully there are SO many games available outside of Steam..except Footy Manager games now..blah.

  46. #946
    Amateur
    Join Date
    10th April 2003
    Location
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts
    922

    Default

    One thing made Steam an excellent option for me is that before there was FM on Steam, I had to wait at least 2-3 weeks after the release date of FM to be available to buy here in Slovenia...

  47. #947
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th March 2004
    Posts
    183

    Default

    If I buy the disc and authenticate through Steam, I can go into offline modus and play the game. Do I need to have the disc in the drive when I want to play?

    Second question.

    I live in Germany, but as the game isn't available here I buy the game from Play. My computer has a German IP-Adresse. Will I still be able to activate the game through Steam?
    Last edited by edwingray; 17-09-2011 at 08:37. Reason: Additional question

  48. #948
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    27,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwingray View Post
    If I buy the disc and authenticate through Steam, I can go into offline modus and play the game. Do I need to have the disc in the drive when I want to play?
    No you never actually need the disc again.

  49. #949
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th March 2004
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    No you never actually need the disc again.
    Ok thanks. So I can play the game from any of my computers, but would have to have this Steam client installed on all of them?

  50. #950
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th June 2004
    Location
    Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.
    Posts
    33,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwingray View Post
    Ok thanks. So I can play the game from any of my computers, but would have to have this Steam client installed on all of them?
    Yup. I have FM11 on my computer here and on my dad's back home. I don't need the disc for either.

    As an aside, I would also like to point out that even my dad is younger than Kriss.

  51. #951
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    27,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwingray View Post
    Ok thanks. So I can play the game from any of my computers, but would have to have this Steam client installed on all of them?
    That's correct, and of course any other computer anywhere in the world (when you take your Hawaian holiday for instance)

  52. #952
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    27,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ackter View Post
    Yup. I have FM11 on my computer here and on my dad's back home. I don't need the disc for either.

    As an aside, I would also like to point out that even my dad is younger than Kriss.
    I still think I might be your Dad tbh, your mum always lied about her age

  53. #953
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th March 2004
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ackter View Post
    Yup. I have FM11 on my computer here and on my dad's back home. I don't need the disc for either.

    As an aside, I would also like to point out that even my dad is younger than Kriss.
    And this is my problem. Until now I have played FM on my laptop, but this year was planning to play on my main computer, as it is faster and the monitor is larger. However, I really don't fancy installing Steam on this computer. As there are no other documents of importance on my laptop then I suppose it would have to be this and only this.

  54. #954
    Amateur
    Join Date
    28th December 2007
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    Apparently only things you can rant at SI about qualify, all other third party software is to be ignored;)
    What, software that is actually needed for the game to install and run properly? When it clearly isn't the case with Steam, seeing as it has no effect on development, as has been proved over the past years? How about not being deliberately obtuse.

  55. #955
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    12th July 2011
    Location
    Edgar Street
    Posts
    1,661

    Default

    want the old one

  56. #956
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th June 2004
    Location
    Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.
    Posts
    33,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMtillidie View Post
    want the old one
    Kriss is around here somewhere.

    One day I will pass up an easy Kriss joke, but it doesn't look like it's going to be today.

  57. #957
    Amateur
    Join Date
    25th July 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwingray View Post
    And this is my problem. Until now I have played FM on my laptop, but this year was planning to play on my main computer, as it is faster and the monitor is larger. However, I really don't fancy installing Steam on this computer. As there are no other documents of importance on my laptop then I suppose it would have to be this and only this.
    Do you really think Steam is going to blow up your laptop or get it full of viruses or something and you'll end up losing all your documents, etc...?!

    My God! In what age do we liveeeeee!!!!!!!

  58. #958
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,167

    Default

    I always have Steam open anyway, so the decision doesn't affect me. Even moreso because I won't be getting the game anyway. But those who are upset at the decision:

    - You don't have to buy the game, vote with your wallets
    - SI can do what they want and don't owe you anything, regardless of how many years you've been buying their product
    - The FM franchise will not grind to a halt because of this decision, if anything it'll probably outsell last year's
    - The same feedback and predictions that it will damage the brand have been made for the last 4 years ever since activation was introduced
    - There is absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous about having Steam installed, it may be time for you to have to move in to the 21st century, I know, I know, change is scary

  59. #959
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwingray View Post
    If I buy the disc and authenticate through Steam, I can go into offline modus and play the game. Do I need to have the disc in the drive when I want to play?

    Second question.

    I live in Germany, but as the game isn't available here I buy the game from Play. My computer has a German IP-Adresse. Will I still be able to activate the game through Steam?
    I posted about this earlier & I trust that Bertie (I'm sure that's who reaplied) will look into however due to German law I do not believe that you can actiavate the from a German IP address, you could always try a proxy server if that does not break any laws .

  60. #960
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th July 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    So the poll on the other tread was closed ? Right.

  61. #961
    Amateur
    Join Date
    10th April 2003
    Location
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Jesus, it's like Steam is an little man with a bazooka that will shoot you or destroy your computer from inside...go to control panel/programmes and features and there you can read about all little programmes which are installed so other thing can work properly...no ranting about flash players, javas, directx... And now "I wanted to play FM on my new PC, but I really don't want to install Steam on it" C'mon...

  62. #962
    Amateur
    Join Date
    10th April 2003
    Location
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    I posted about this earlier & I trust that Bertie (I'm sure that's who reaplied) will look into however due to German law I do not believe that you can actiavate the from a German IP address, you could always try a proxy server if that does not break any laws .
    I'm really not sure about Germany, but I live in Slovenia, and I haven't had any problems activating on release date, even though the game wasn't available in Slovene stores for another couple of weeks.

  63. #963
    Sports Interactive David Kempshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    21st September 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Guys. I think we've basically covered every topic of conversation / issue that's been discussed. I'm really not sure what else we can say except to thank you for your opinion and say that, for those that want the information, we'll look at at releasing more info on Steam. To confirm what we do know. From our FM09 activation - we learned that, for every person playing the game legitimately, at least three others are playing cracked versions.

    Steam isn't something that's going to kill your computer. It is something that you need to download to play the game this year, but we're not going to apologise for the anti-piracy measure we feel we had to take (and once again it is an anti-piracy measure). There are some great things we've learned from this thread about how you guys play this game alongside other Steam games and how it's genuinely affected how you play the game for example.

    Some things that we'll genuinely look at making better in the future, but we're not going to change our long term anti-piracy stance. I hope even the most critical of you can understand that we're doing this to protect the future of FM and make sure that, not only that we can still make the game in years to come, but we can make sure that SI can continue to make it the game that has made these forums such a vibrant and informed place to get your passionate feedback.

    Thanks for all of your comments so far, we truly do appreciate a lot of the constructive feedback / discussion.

  64. #964
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th January 2008
    Posts
    44

    Default

    what about germany? the game isnt sold over steam network. will the activation work here?

  65. #965
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BayernMB View Post
    I'm really not sure about Germany, but I live in Slovenia, and I haven't had any problems activating on release date, even though the game wasn't available in Slovene stores for another couple of weeks.
    The game cannot be retailed in Germany due to legal restrictions related to EA & their exclusive license agreement.

  66. #966
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th January 2008
    Posts
    44

    Default

    so what does that mean that i cannot play this year?

  67. #967
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    11th September 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,851

    Default

    You should be able to import it from abroad and register the serial in Steam. You can't buy it in Germany/the German Steam store though.

  68. #968
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    I have a feeling it does as reqeusts that are made from German IP addresses to download/authenticate the game may be blocked be Steam, I'm not 100% sure on that but at this stage neither are SI or Sega.

  69. #969
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th August 2008
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Really shouldnt happen. The game is banned from being sold there, not banned from being actually PLAYED. If you import it, there should be no reason for steam not allowing you to activate. And you could always use a proxy/reinstall steam in a different language if the worst happens.

  70. #970
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    20th September 2007
    Location
    Voller/Ramos/Miller
    Posts
    1,894

    Default

    I'm sure they will find a way to let people in Germany play, this is the best argument against Steam activation I've seen in this thread

  71. #971
    Amateur
    Join Date
    5th October 2004
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BayernMB View Post
    One thing made Steam an excellent option for me is that before there was FM on Steam, I had to wait at least 2-3 weeks after the release date of FM to be available to buy here in Slovenia...
    That was your choice. You could have preordered it online and receive it around release day for half the price or just go to a local shop and buy it on release day for full price. This isnt zimbabwe. There are plenty of shops selling pc games around here. Hell you could even drive to austria and get the german version and be back in like half an hour.

  72. #972
    Banned
    Join Date
    21st July 2011
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris21 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, still seems unfair to me. Not gonna be stupid and say 'I'm not buying the game now blah blah blah' but for someone like myself who has been playing the game for 10+ years and my brother for around 5+ years to have to suffer because of criminals is just ridiculous. I don't blame SI but I'm not happy about this, no issues with Steam either, I quite like using Steam for myself but now we need two accounts, two codes and two games in the same house? Madness but nevermind.
    You both use the same Steam account but one of you needs to be playing in offline mode, simple.

  73. #973
    Third Team
    Join Date
    17th April 2009
    Posts
    7,644

    Default

    Just my only problem with Steam is that I don't play PC games other than FM. Steam is useless for me.

  74. #974
    Amateur
    Join Date
    8th September 2011
    Location
    Pontedera (Italy)
    Posts
    76

    Default

    David - say to steam to put release date on 21th october. they are saying october generally. ;)

  75. #975
    Sports Interactive David Kempshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    21st September 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deisler26 View Post
    Just my only problem with Steam is that I don't play PC games other than FM. Steam is useless for me.
    But that's one of the reasons that we opted for Steam, it really is quite an unobtrusive solution that almost seamlessly keeps you up to date.

  76. #976
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    28th April 2009
    Location
    Wohoo, we now have a FM Meme page! Contact me if you're interested :)
    Posts
    1,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    I have a feeling it does as reqeusts that are made from German IP addresses to download/authenticate the game may be blocked be Steam, I'm not 100% sure on that but at this stage neither are SI or Sega.
    Last year, importing the game to Germany and then installing/updating via Steam worked. Let's just hope it stays that way...

  77. #977
    Sports Interactive David Kempshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    21st September 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matteo3champions View Post
    David - say to steam to put release date on 21th october. they are saying october generally. ;)
    We have, just waiting for them to update it. They're busy being a generally great solution to online activation I suppose

  78. #978
    Amateur
    Join Date
    5th October 2004
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BayernMB View Post
    One thing made Steam an excellent option for me is that before there was FM on Steam, I had to wait at least 2-3 weeks after the release date of FM to be available to buy here in Slovenia...
    That was your choice. You could have preordered it online and receive it around release day for half the price or just go to a local shop and buy it on release day for full price. This isnt zimbabwe. There are plenty of shops selling pc games around here. Hell you could even drive to austria and get the german version and be back in like half an hour.

  79. #979
    Amateur
    Join Date
    22nd August 2005
    Location
    In a hobbit house in the side of a small hill
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    Neil Brock, you closed my thread! Where's the Poll? Can't that be left open or transferred? What's going on?


    EDIT:

    Thank you Neil, does the poll not count as something different, or is it difficult to watch?
    I agree.

    The other thread is distinct from this one because of the poll. While this thread shows lots of written opinions, the other thread provides a quantitative measure of opinion.

    It is quite shameful that the poll thread has been closed and of course will now drop down the list of topics into oblivion.

    Its obvious that the poll serves a seperate function from this thread. I can only conclude that SI don't want us to see the results of the poll and are desperately trying in whatever fashion possible to silence the dissent here.

    Shameful. Every time they take an authoritarian stance like this, everytime they trot out their corporate line, they push me and, I think, many many others, away from them.

    As for the earlier comments about praising the SI staff for being on here answering questions late into the night, just remember that they're out here defending the corporate line in the interests of SI, not really to help us at all.

  80. #980
    Amateur
    Join Date
    28th March 2003
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    510

    Thumbs down

    What a crazy decision, I won't be buying the game. Boy am I glad I didn't pre-order it!!

  81. #981
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th January 2008
    Posts
    44

    Default

    does that mean i can only install the game on one computer and activate it? i have a pc and a mac on both laptops i have installed the game....

  82. #982
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th August 2008
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    368

    Default

    That was your choice. You could have preordered it online and receive it around release day for half the price or just go to a local shop and buy it on release day for full price. This isnt zimbabwe. There are plenty of shops selling pc games around here. Hell you could even drive to austria and get the german version and be back in like half an hour.
    No way i'm dropping 50€ in big bang on release date. Yes there are plenty of shops, but none that i would even remotely trust. I've seen lots of games missing one bit or another in many shops, and really, i dont think we have a decent store that sells videogames(apart from igabiba, but to say that's poorly stocked is an understatement). Steam is probably the best choice unless you want to import from the UK, which is much cheaper. It's just down to, do you want to wait for 2 days-week after release, or do they actually matter to you?

    Baresi, you can have the game installed as many times as you want anywhere you want, i'm assuming FM will be steamplay as well here so really there should be no issues.

    So, everyone saying steam sucks. Ever tried it?

  83. #983
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0gris View Post
    Really shouldnt happen. The game is banned from being sold there, not banned from being actually PLAYED. If you import it, there should be no reason for steam not allowing you to activate. And you could always use a proxy/reinstall steam in a different language if the worst happens.
    A little interent research sugggests that Steam will also ban activation requested by German users for games that are banned in Germany, the only work around appears to be the purchase of a boxed version in Austria but this does not always work & for someone living in for example Hamburg a trek to Austria is not exactly a easy task.
    Last edited by Barside; 17-09-2011 at 10:41.

  84. #984
    Third Team
    Join Date
    25th March 2008
    Location
    "Football isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that."
    Posts
    9,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    I always have Steam open anyway, so the decision doesn't affect me. Even moreso because I won't be getting the game anyway. But those who are upset at the decision:

    - You don't have to buy the game, vote with your wallets
    - SI can do what they want and don't owe you anything, regardless of how many years you've been buying their product
    - The FM franchise will not grind to a halt because of this decision, if anything it'll probably outsell last year's
    - The same feedback and predictions that it will damage the brand have been made for the last 4 years ever since activation was introduced
    - There is absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous about having Steam installed, it may be time for you to have to move in to the 21st century, I know, I know, change is scary
    I haven't posted on these forums on a while, but I have to say I agree with everything above.

    One quick question though, having not bought FM11, what were the options for its activation?

  85. #985
    Sports Interactive David Kempshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    21st September 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baresi View Post
    does that mean i can only install the game on one computer and activate it? i have a pc and a mac on both laptops i have installed the game....
    Quite the opposite. You need to install on any computer via Steam, then you can log onto Steam on any computer worldwide and acces the game through your Steam account.

  86. #986
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    10th February 2008
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. I only play FM and only use steam for FM, there is nothing wrong with it and it is very useful if your laptop has no DVD drive. I now have a new laptop with a DVD drive and although I buy the disk I still just download it, it seem to run better this way in my opinion.

  87. #987
    Amateur
    Join Date
    28th March 2003
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    510

    Default

    If you think this decision will increase sales you are very naive, if anything it will drive more people to use pirated versions of the game!

  88. #988
    Sports Interactive David Kempshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    21st September 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weeeman27bob View Post
    I haven't posted on these forums on a while, but I have to say I agree with everything above.

    One quick question though, having not bought FM11, what were the options for its activation?
    FM11 had no required activation. You could install and either play via disc-in-tray, or register via Steam and then there was no need to have your disc to play. And you could access FM on any machine via Steam. Last year we looked for a method to combat piracy, but didn't feel there was an acceptable solution that was balanced the battle against piracy without penalizing genuine customers. This year we feel we've found that solution.

  89. #989
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th November 2008
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Yeah, because almighty-piracy-deterring Steam was nowhere to be found last year
    In my deleted post I argued how Steam is obviously useless for copy protection, just wait and see.

  90. #990
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th August 2008
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by data6930 View Post
    If you think this decision will increase sales you are very naive, if anything it will drive more people to use pirated versions of the game!
    I think it's going to sell more actually, and make them a bigger profit.

    See i can make baseless accusations as well.

    Give steam a shot, if it's such a dealbreaker for you, you mind telling us why? As for the pirated part, dunno, i think it's going to remain about the same, maybe a few more purchases than last year compared to the amount of pirated copies.

  91. #991
    Third Team
    Join Date
    25th March 2008
    Location
    "Football isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that."
    Posts
    9,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David - SEGA View Post
    FM11 had no required activation. You could install and either play via disc-in-tray, or register via Steam and then there was no need to have your disc to play. And you could access FM on any machine via Steam. Last year we looked for a method to combat piracy, but didn't feel there was an acceptable solution that was balanced the battle against piracy without penalizing genuine customers. This year we feel we've found that solution.
    Thanks very much for the reply, especially given the fact it's a Saturday.

    I think it's clear though that SEGA and SI are continually trying to find the best method to combat piracy whilst also trying to cause as little an inconvenience as possible to the paying customers. If it doesn't work this year, whether it's because piracy hasn't been impacted too much, or there's been a fall in paying customers, then I'm sure it'll be changed for the next release.

  92. #992
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th November 2008
    Posts
    589

    Default

    btw is it possible to use the Steam cloud with those 200mb save files? I am on fast connection and it wouldn't be a problem, but is it technically possible on Steam's part?

  93. #993
    Amateur
    Join Date
    5th October 2004
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0gris View Post
    No way i'm dropping 50€ in big bang on release date. Yes there are plenty of shops, but none that i would even remotely trust. I've seen lots of games missing one bit or another in many shops, and really, i dont think we have a decent store that sells videogames(apart from igabiba, but to say that's poorly stocked is an understatement). Steam is probably the best choice unless you want to import from the UK, which is much cheaper. It's just down to, do you want to wait for 2 days-week after release, or do they actually matter to you?

    Baresi, you can have the game installed as many times as you want anywhere you want, i'm assuming FM will be steamplay as well here so really there should be no issues.

    So, everyone saying steam sucks. Ever tried it?
    You dont want to pay 50euro in the local shop but are prepared to pay 50 euro for a steam version? Personally im prepared to wait a few days and save 20+ euros.

    And yes i do use steam. I have plenty of games as well. Its just that im not prepared to pay more than 5 eur for a game that is DRM infected. Its just not worth much to me if i dont control it. Besides there is always the problem of two people wanting to play two different games at the same time. Steam doesnt allow you to do it. Its not very family friendly.

    Anyway...as i said before im not buying it just like i didnt buy FM09. If they want to release a DRM only game then they should adjust the price. Its not worth more than 5 eur in that form.

  94. #994
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th August 2008
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdpoo View Post
    btw is it possible to use the Steam cloud with those 200mb save files? I am on fast connection and it wouldn't be a problem, but is it technically possible on Steam's part?
    The limit is 100mb per game so it's going to be iffy if it's used.

    Jakob, as i said, it's down to if you want to wait or not. Easily going to be much cheaper if you import it. And yes, i'd rather pay 50 euros for the steam version than pay that in a local shop, i already had games missing serial numbers and even manuals. Either way, importing really would be the best option indeed.

  95. #995
    Amateur
    Join Date
    5th October 2004
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David - SEGA View Post
    FM11 had no required activation. You could install and either play via disc-in-tray, or register via Steam and then there was no need to have your disc to play. And you could access FM on any machine via Steam. Last year we looked for a method to combat piracy, but didn't feel there was an acceptable solution that was balanced the battle against piracy without penalizing genuine customers. This year we feel we've found that solution.
    And yet FM11 sold very very well.

    And if you think Steam will do ANYTHING at all to combat piracy you are delusional at best. Its pretty much the worst copy protection system available. If you dont believe me just go to any torrent site on the release day and look for yourself.

  96. #996
    Amateur
    Join Date
    21st June 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David - SEGA View Post
    But that's one of the reasons that we opted for Steam, it really is quite an unobtrusive solution that almost seamlessly keeps you up to date.
    It's not unobtrusive at all - It's the worst piece of software ever created on a Mac. This is with Steam sitting idle for 10 minutes after opening.



    That memory could be put much better to use with FM, which is a close second on the worst piece of software ever created on a Mac. Memory usage and fan speed goes through the roof whenever you launch it.

  97. #997
    Third Team
    Join Date
    25th March 2008
    Location
    "Football isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that."
    Posts
    9,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jakobx View Post
    And yet FM11 sold very very well.

    And if you think Steam will do ANYTHING at all to combat piracy you are delusional at best. Its pretty much the worst copy protection system available. If you dont believe me just go to any torrent site on the release day and look for yourself.
    I'm not trying to take sides here or anything, but what copy protection system would you prefer?

  98. #998
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    15th June 2008
    Posts
    3,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David - SEGA View Post
    FM11 had no required activation. You could install and either play via disc-in-tray, or register via Steam and then there was no need to have your disc to play. And you could access FM on any machine via Steam. Last year we looked for a method to combat piracy, but didn't feel there was an acceptable solution that was balanced the battle against piracy without penalizing genuine customers. This year we feel we've found that solution.
    So what's changed? Steam was around last year.

  99. #999
    Amateur
    Join Date
    30th June 2007
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David - SEGA View Post
    FM11 had no required activation. You could install and either play via disc-in-tray, or register via Steam and then there was no need to have your disc to play. And you could access FM on any machine via Steam. Last year we looked for a method to combat piracy, but didn't feel there was an acceptable solution that was balanced the battle against piracy without penalizing genuine customers. This year we feel we've found that solution.
    N

    No you have not. You are forcing me to install 3rd party software that i do not want or require. As paying customer who has bought every iteration of the FM series i am extremely disappointed with SEGA's disregard for a section of its customer base that does not want steam installed on their computer.Don't tell me you are not penalising genuine customers because you are.

  100. #1000
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th August 2008
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    368

    Default

    People seem to think they have the right to a lot of things just because they bought one edition of the game or another.

    You dont, you're like any one of us. You'll have to install steam in the long run, whether you like it or not. Sadly, that's just the way it is at the moment.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts