Closed Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 400 of 4173

Thread: A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

  1. #301
    Amateur
    Join Date
    8th June 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I hope that something will be put on the case about this activation method, It certainly stops me buying the new game as I have no internet at home so couldn't activate it.

    Poor Move

  2. #302
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phd_angel View Post
    Well done SI/SEGA!

    Gamers who don't accept your anti-piracy efforts are a bunch of whiners. Spoon fed, crying babies who have mom and pop to pay for food, shelter and, obviously, the FM game each year.

    Piracy makes the game more expensive for everyone. So, suck it up your pampered whiners. You should be grateful that SI is doing something to make the game more affordable and secure for everyone.

    lol

    So compared to previous years Football Manager 2012 will be the cheapest version yet?




  3. #303
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whilewolf View Post
    Cant help thinking Steam is Good for Saga not so great for the customer.

    Sega get an ani-piracy measure, stops second hand sales, and automates patching, In the future the possibility of getting rid of manufacturing and distribution costs, and taking the retailers cut of the sale price.

    We get a piece of software we didn't choose, no resale value on the product ( buy it play it for a couple of days decide you hate it. Bad luck you cant get any money back ) and updates whether we want them or not.
    Was that intentional?

  4. #304
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th February 2004
    Location
    Currently Managing : Witbank Spurs
    Posts
    95

    Default

    SI/Sega

    I have purchased EVERY version of CM/FM with only perhaps 3 exceptions since the original Championship Manager in what, 1993? I had also even booked time off work to play the new version, which shows how much I was looking forward to it. But I am now seriously, SERIOUSLY considering not buying this version for this reason only and no other. I am purchasing one piece of software in FM, and do not expect to be dictated to in any way by the makers of that software as far as what other software I do and don't have to have installed on my PC in order to play it. This is not a case of being "worried" about installing Steam due to bad experiences I've heard of others having, or had myself, it's simply a matter of principle. The computer I use is built by me, has only programs and software on it that I have elected to install, and what I do or do not have installed on it is, quite frankly, no body else's business, be it yours, or anyone elses.

    Again, I'm not saying at all I am concerned about what Steam as a program itself, but with the money I will pay for this game, the game I have spent a good proportion of my life playing, now also comes a diction that I must install a secondary, third party piece of software onto my computer because some people don't pay for the game, thus meaning you lose money. It would not be considered acceptable if, for example, I purchased a CD or DVD which I wished to use/watch through my computer, and it did not let me unless I used Windows Media Player, so I don't see why this is considered acceptable.

    If this move/decision had been taken with the environment in mind, ie. digital download through Steam ONLY to cut down on the plastic/packaging used in shipping a game to shops, as well as the carbon footprint that leaves, then fine. But such a decision would potentially cost you money because casual gamers may not know where to obtain the game from, so that's clearly not an option. Far better to dictate to hundreds of thousands of your customers what other software they have installed on their computers to use your product.

  5. #305
    Amateur
    Join Date
    17th July 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakers View Post
    This is just wrong. You should not be spouting out misinformation. It is an application that requires you to submit an email address and a password in order to use it. You login over the internet. You purchase games over the internet. You update games over the internet, it is an internet based application. End of story.

    As it involves sending information and receiving information from the internet, then it has security issues that people need to be aware of. They need to know how to set a proper password, make sure the email is safe and so on. Nothing you say will change that, regardless of how many times you repeat the same misinformation in capitals.

    It is the same with any application that requires a username and password. People need to know how to be safe. That is the end of the story, and I really don't see why you don't understand this?
    You're wrong, the application (once downloaded) is based locally. You can use the application without an Internet connection, therefore it is not Internet 'based'.

    I have to ask as well, these people who are worried about having to be connected to the Internet, are you never able to download the official patches either?

  6. #306
    Amateur
    Join Date
    25th February 2009
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bertie BG View Post
    One Steam account although you can login with that Steam account on an unlimited amount of computers (just only one at a time).
    Wow that's ****, this has to be one of the worst decisions ever if that's the case. For year's me and my brother have both seperately installed FM on our computers but now we'll have to buy seperate copies, not the end of the world I know but a lot of people will be in the same situation and I know that Steam can have a lot of problems with it especially when you use it over a number of computer.

  7. #307
    Amateur
    Join Date
    12th August 2011
    Location
    Tbilisi
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bertie BG View Post
    The decision was not taken lightly and was taken after thorough research as to the best way to combat piracy for this year's game. It was felt, after that research, that this was the best option available.
    OK. Thank you for answering.
    Ammm, I do not use STEAM and dont know: Is there way to purchase the game VIA steam (with credit card i mean)???

  8. #308
    Sports Interactive David Kempshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    21st September 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpwild View Post
    You're doing it again. You're linking an issue with piracy in which is pretty much has no link what-so-ever.

    Once again: Is this Steam activation method a way to stop people playing the game that they have bought from a UK retailer before the official release date? If someone goes to a retailer and God forbid purchases the game a couple of days before the official release date then they will no longer be able to play that game until the Steam servers activate it. yes? I am not suggested or defending piracy at all. You are linking, somehow, the issue of piracy to someone going to a shop and buying the game before the official release date - that is not piracy in any way shape or form.

    Has any retailer put pressure on Sega or SI or offered incentives to implement such a activation method? I could imagine various retailers getting annoyed at other retailers who sell the game early.
    The simple answer is no. This decision has made been whilst talking or considering any retailers. You're right that many retailers sell the game early, mainly on the continent or devlier pre-ordered games a day early in an effort to ensure that people recieve their version of the game on the day of release; but this is now commonplace and retail have accepted the situation. We don't deliver the game to them until the latest possible moment to combat this. The Steam activation is purely to combat piracy. I really wish you'd believe me as it's the truth

  9. #309
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robsy1990 View Post
    You're wrong, the application (once downloaded) is based locally. You can use the application without an Internet connection, therefore it is not Internet 'based'.

    I have to ask as well, these people who are worried about having to be connected to the Internet, are you never able to download the official patches either?
    Oh come on guys, this is silly now

    Look, if someone gets your account and password, they can get into your account. Regardless of whether or not you set the application to offline on your computer. Your games are saved on Steam servers. It is an internet based application.

    Look at it this way - if you don't have the internet at all, then you can't use Steam. That is not a local application, that is an internet basned application. Steam requires the internet at one stage, or another, in order for it to what it is designed to do. I can't possible make it more clear. It is an internet based application.

  10. #310
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakers View Post
    This is just wrong. You should not be spouting out misinformation. It is an application that requires you to submit an email address and a password in order to use it. You login over the internet. You purchase games over the internet. You update games over the internet, it is an internet based application. End of story.

    As it involves sending information and receiving information from the internet, then it has security issues that people need to be aware of. They need to know how to set a proper password, make sure the email is safe and so on. Nothing you say will change that, regardless of how many times you repeat the same misinformation in capitals.

    It is the same with any application that requires a username and password. People need to know how to be safe. That is the end of the story, and I really don't see why you don't understand this?
    I don't see why you don't understand it.

    How many things do you register for on the internet? I bet you give out your email address on a weekly basis. Buy stuff from Amazon? iTunes? Buy anything from eBay? Put your credit information to attend online seminars? Or to buy a video or music? Buy Plane Tickets online?


    If you do any of these things, then Steam is perfectly safe for you.

    If you don't - it's your loss. Steam is totally secure. If it has security issues that you are concerned about then Contact Steam.


    And you accuse me of spouting misinformation.


    Steam is secure.

  11. #311
    Sports Interactive Neil Brock's Avatar
    Join Date
    6th June 2005
    Location
    Gary Busey's dustbin
    Posts
    49,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmetcalf View Post
    Wow that's ****, this has to be one of the worst decisions ever if that's the case. For year's me and my brother have both seperately installed FM on our computers but now we'll have to buy seperate copies, not the end of the world I know but a lot of people will be in the same situation and I know that Steam can have a lot of problems with it especially when you use it over a number of computer.
    What you've been doing for a number of years is essentially illegal and in breach of the terms when sold the game I'm afraid.

  12. #312
    Amateur
    Join Date
    8th June 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    There is some real bizarre logic in this thread. Simply put we're running with Steam for this release. If you don't like it, we're sorry but it's not going to change for this release. If you don't want to buy the game simply because you don't want to have to use Steam then you won't buy the game. I don't know why some people are arguing over the fact they're not going to buy the game? Either you are or you aren't, there's not much we can do about that other than reassure you that we feel Steam is the best choice for Football Manager.
    Good customer service - Alot of these people have supported the game for a good few years and like me feel left out and discarded by the wayside.

  13. #313
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th June 2004
    Location
    Leeds United- at least until the world stops going round!, and on xbox live with the 360.GT=STANNY
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dune297 View Post
    No I don't get it because frankly, Steam isn't going to do anything to you or your computer. It's a great service no matter how many games you own.
    Just because you, or even many people think its a great service doesnt mean we want it, or should have to have it. I heard the blonde at the local brothel provides a great service, i dont want that though, and certainly wouldnt want it forced on me!

  14. #314
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th December 2005
    Location
    Britannia stadium
    Posts
    419

    Default

    maybe alittle off topic here but...the Price for FM 2012 on steam is £29.99.....the price on play.com is £29.99 - the same.

    Surely if im purchasing the game through steam i should expect to pay less, after all there will be no packaging, no disc, no user manual - All this additional cost which SI will not have to pay for, meaning more profit per game sold on Steam.

    My question is will you be making the game cheaper on steam?, say £19.99 that would be a fair price IMO.

    Thank you

  15. #315
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default New PC

    I'm planing on buying a new PC for Christmas so my question is, if I install the game on my PC and then i switch to a better PC, can I install Steam and Football Manager in that other PC?

  16. #316
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    10th October 2008
    Location
    Leiria
    Posts
    2,283

    Default

    This is not an issue for me has i already pre purchased FM 2012 on steam

    Haters gonna Hate even for dumb reasons

  17. #317
    Amateur
    Join Date
    8th June 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robsy1990 View Post
    You're wrong, the application (once downloaded) is based locally. You can use the application without an Internet connection, therefore it is not Internet 'based'.

    I have to ask as well, these people who are worried about having to be connected to the Internet, are you never able to download the official patches either?
    Yeah to a stick at work - then install them at home!

  18. #318
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakers View Post
    Oh come on guys, this is silly now

    Look, if someone gets your account and password, they can get into your account. Regardless of whether or not you set the application to offline on your computer. Your games are saved on Steam servers. It is an internet based application.
    The games are not saved on Steam servers!? They are saved locally on your hard drive. You install the game via a CD if you want. You ACTIVATE the game through steam.

    If you buy the game on Steam you will install it through steam. And if you uninstall it you will have to install again via steam and an active internet connection.


    If you buy the CD however, you don't need to do this. So if it's about installing the game through Steam, then don't buy it through steam.

    You can install through the CD - open Steam Online for 2 minutes to activate the Game and be on your way.


    Do you understand this?

  19. #319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    It's not an internet based application. It's based on your computer. Once you activate the game you can turn Steam to offline mode. If you launch FM you can quit Steam. To relaunch FM start up Steam, launch FM, quit Steam.
    That isn't true. You can't close Steam when you've got a game running from it, even in offline mode. You need Steam running whenever you play a game from it.

    Unless there's a special way of doing it which I don't know about.

  20. #320
    Sports Interactive Bertie BG's Avatar
    Join Date
    15th January 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruidrk View Post
    I'm planing on buying a new PC for Christmas so my question is, if I install the game on my PC and then i switch to a better PC, can I install Steam and Football Manager in that other PC?
    Yes, once activated the game is linked to your Steam account. So you just need to install Steam, login with your account and it will be there

  21. #321
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th November 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I guess I'm not buying the game this year.

  22. #322
    Reserves
    Join Date
    8th January 2004
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruidrk View Post
    I'm planing on buying a new PC for Christmas so my question is, if I install the game on my PC and then i switch to a better PC, can I install Steam and Football Manager in that other PC?
    Yes, once you have a Steam account you simply download Steam onto your new PC and any games you have registered with them will be available to be downloaded again via the games menu.

  23. #323
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    158

    Default

    This is . The game will be cracked on release day, if not before. So, as always, only paying customers will suffer.

  24. #324
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    I don't see why you don't understand it.

    How many things do you register for on the internet? I bet you give out your email address on a weekly basis. Buy stuff from Amazon? iTunes? Buy anything from eBay? Put your credit information to attend online seminars? Or to buy a video or music? Buy Plane Tickets online?


    If you do any of these things, then Steam is perfectly safe for you.

    If you don't - it's your loss. Steam is totally secure. If it has security issues that you are concerned about then Contact Steam.


    And you accuse me of spouting misinformation.


    Steam is secure.
    What are you talking about?

    Read. Please. I'm at the point of begging you ffs.

    Anything that you need to register with over the internet needs to be secured appropriately. I am not saying that Steam is a security risk, I have never said that despite your poor attempts at understanding..anything I've said about anything.

    What I am saying is that anything that requires a username and password has the potential to be hacked, therefore it is a security risk. This goes for any webservice that you sign up for. Any webservice at all.

    Can you please try and understand that? The fact that Amazon also requires an email address and password is irrelevant.

  25. #325
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th June 2004
    Location
    Leeds United- at least until the world stops going round!, and on xbox live with the 360.GT=STANNY
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dune297 View Post
    An internet cafe, university, friend's house? Thousands of possibilities unless you live in a rural community.
    Thousands of possibilities which we shouldnt have to go through to play a game we have just purchased! I want to play the game, i am gonna pay for the privelige, and yet im expected to jump through hoops to play it! Out of order if you ask me!

  26. #326
    Sports Interactive Neil Brock's Avatar
    Join Date
    6th June 2005
    Location
    Gary Busey's dustbin
    Posts
    49,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iantevans View Post
    Good customer service - Alot of these people have supported the game for a good few years and like me feel left out and discarded by the wayside.
    How have you been discarded? All we've said is that people have a choice to buy the game and run it through Steam or not buy it.

  27. #327
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th November 2008
    Posts
    590

    Default

    I'm not against the this move as I stopped using disks for anything ages ago.

    But the reasoning you will combat piracy is absolutely ridiculous. Every single "steam protected" game has been cracked.
    Whoever used pirated games before will go to the same place to get their new copy and wouldn't care less if you changed the protection. So effectively I don't see how somebody who pirated the games before won't do it now. To really change this you have two options:
    1. Use a copy protection which hasn't been cracked. I know one and it would probably cause even bigger outrage.
    2. Ask why people are pirating - they are either too lazy to get to the store (digital distribution) or can't afford the game (lower price).
    Publishers really had a chance to kill two birds with one stone using digital distribution, but they opted for keeping there even higher prices than the brick and mortar stores, which is financially illogical.

    You can reason that Steam is cool and bringing a lot of convenience, but combating piracy? Don't insult our intelligence.

    The only thing you are achieving is annoying people who hate change and ultimately they may opt for the pirated version, which won't require any pesky activation. I'm saying you could have marketed this decision better.
    Last edited by asdpoo; 16-09-2011 at 17:34.

  28. #328
    Amateur
    Join Date
    1st September 2008
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Well this is ridiculous. My Steam in Offline Mode wishes to reconnect every 20 minutes by CLOSING everything open and then reloading Steam. I've changed settings, I've had Steams HORRENDOUS technical help attempt to fix it, i've uninstalled and reinstalled, changed laptops and installed it, and it still bloody does it!!! So if I'm playing a game in offline mode it throws me off after 20 minutes and I have to reopen it, and half the time I lose any game progress. Its immensely annoying and frustrating.

    Steam is a 1000000% unstable platform offline. And half the time I'm travelling and playing FM. I don't have internet. What am I meant to do?

    Horrendous decision SI.

  29. #329
    Amateur
    Join Date
    25th February 2009
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    What you've been doing for a number of years is essentially illegal and in breach of the terms when sold the game I'm afraid.
    Fair enough, but when you've been a follower of the FM series for a number of years, I've supported them for a number of years and worked on a number of fansites, investing a lot of money in to supporting a community you feel slightly aggrieved when SI keep becoming increasingly incapable of supporting it's fan base.

  30. #330
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    The games are not saved on Steam servers!? They are saved locally on your hard drive. You install the game via a CD if you want. You ACTIVATE the game through steam.

    If you buy the game on Steam you will install it through steam. And if you uninstall it you will have to install again via steam and an active internet connection.


    If you buy the CD however, you don't need to do this. So if it's about installing the game through Steam, then don't buy it through steam.

    You can install through the CD - open Steam Online for 2 minutes to activate the Game and be on your way.


    Do you understand this?
    It's called cloud sync. Deus Ex (Which I also bought on PC DVD) saves games to the Steam servers.

    Besides that, that was not the main point of the example, which I'm sure you know.

    It was a minor example demonstrating yet another way in which it is an internet based application.

  31. #331
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David - SEGA View Post
    The simple answer is no. This decision has made been whilst talking or considering any retailers. You're right that many retailers sell the game early, mainly on the continent or devlier pre-ordered games a day early in an effort to ensure that people recieve their version of the game on the day of release; but this is now commonplace and retail have accepted the situation. We don't deliver the game to them until the latest possible moment to combat this. The Steam activation is purely to combat piracy. I really wish you'd believe me as it's the truth
    I think I've bought every version of Football Manager and the latter versions of Championship Manager - I still have the boxes in the loft of the early ones I've bought. I've stayed loyal despite massive problems with Championship Manager 4 and the fiasco a few years ago with the method that was used then. However, due to other quality games coming out topped with this compulsory activation I will not buy Football Manager 2012. I'm sure it will still sell well, but at end of the day it will still get pirated whether you like it or not - I'm not defending piracy, but I'm just stating my view that it will still get pirated.

    I also think this is an attempt to stop or shrink down the second hand sales. I.e, you could buy FM and activate it via steam then sell it on, but the user would have to use it with the disc in drive.

  32. #332
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    29th November 2008
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakers View Post
    What are you talking about?

    Read. Please. I'm at the point of begging you ffs.

    Anything that you need to register with over the internet needs to be secured appropriately. I am not saying that Steam is a security risk, I have never said that despite your poor attempts at understanding..anything I've said about anything.

    What I am saying is that anything that requires a username and password has the potential to be hacked, therefore it is a security risk. This goes for any webservice that you sign up for. Any webservice at all.

    Can you please try and understand that? The fact that Amazon also requires an email address and password is irrelevant.
    So you're worried about your Steam account being hacked but not anything else?

  33. #333
    Amateur
    Join Date
    7th November 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Sounds perfectly fair to me.

  34. #334
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmetcalf View Post
    Wow that's ****, this has to be one of the worst decisions ever if that's the case. For year's me and my brother have both seperately installed FM on our computers but now we'll have to buy seperate copies, not the end of the world I know but a lot of people will be in the same situation and I know that Steam can have a lot of problems with it especially when you use it over a number of computer.
    ...and this is part of the problem, I do not condone what you & your brother are doing as it is at the centre of the problem, between the pair of you SI & the retailer have been roobed of a unit which is just as bad as downloading an illegal copy.

  35. #335
    Amateur
    Join Date
    3rd March 2005
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phd_angel View Post
    Well done SI/SEGA!

    Gamers who don't accept your anti-piracy efforts are a bunch of whiners. Spoon fed, crying babies who have mom and pop to pay for food, shelter and, obviously, the FM game each year.

    Piracy makes the game more expensive for everyone. So, suck it up your pampered whiners. You should be grateful that SI is doing something to make the game more affordable and secure for everyone.

    Who the hell do you think you are coming on here saying that?

    Granted, some people are going a bit OTT with all this. I have said that I won't be buying FM this year as I won't be having Steam on my PC and that's that. I accept that this now means I won't be able to play FM12 but I can live with that no problem.

    For you to come on and say that though and sook up SI's ass is just pure immature - get a life!

  36. #336
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7Bestie7 View Post
    So you're worried about your Steam account being hacked but not anything else?


    Why can't people read?

    Can you read the first bolded part?

    Anything that requires an email and password needs to be secured properly. It's not even a major point, it's just one that Eugene feels he has a foothold on because he can't counter anything else with something that isn't misinformation.

  37. #337
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakers View Post
    What are you talking about?

    Read. Please. I'm at the point of begging you ffs.

    Anything that you need to register with over the internet needs to be secured appropriately. I am not saying that Steam is a security risk, I have never said that despite your poor attempts at understanding..anything I've said about anything.

    What I am saying is that anything that requires a username and password has the potential to be hacked, therefore it is a security risk. This goes for any webservice that you sign up for. Any webservice at all.

    Can you please try and understand that? The fact that Amazon also requires an email address and password is irrelevant.

    It's not just anything with a username and password that can be hacked. You can be hacked by simply being connected to the internet.

    Yes email accounts and services you subscribe can be hacked.

    Same as someone can through your rubbish bins and take your credit card information or whatever you have.

    Same as someone can rob you at knife or gun point and take your wallet and force you to withdraw your account



    Yes people steal things. Even on the internet. Is that your point?


    If that's your concern then unplug the internet right now. Don't go outside again. And lock your doors and keep that shotgun loaded. (might want to get some cats to throw at people as they walk by too).

  38. #338
    Amateur
    Join Date
    25th February 2009
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFoxo View Post
    Well this is ridiculous. My Steam in Offline Mode wishes to reconnect every 20 minutes by CLOSING everything open and then reloading Steam. I've changed settings, I've had Steams HORRENDOUS technical help attempt to fix it, i've uninstalled and reinstalled, changed laptops and installed it, and it still bloody does it!!! So if I'm playing a game in offline mode it throws me off after 20 minutes and I have to reopen it, and half the time I lose any game progress. Its immensely annoying and frustrating.

    Steam is a 1000000% unstable platform offline. And half the time I'm travelling and playing FM. I don't have internet. What am I meant to do?

    Horrendous decision SI.
    I have the same problem, steam in offline mode is horrendous at times, steam windows pop up everywhere, got a lot of error messages and often doesn't allow me to re-connect to the internet. Steam also requires you to enter in an emailed password when used under a different IP address and it's a nightmare for switching computers or between connections.

    I've had to re-install steam when it's completely stopped working, can be a nightmare at times.

  39. #339
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th June 2004
    Location
    Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.
    Posts
    35,421

    Default

    Guys, please stop throwing around insults.

  40. #340
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdpoo View Post
    I'm not against the this move as I stopped using disks for anything ages ago.

    But the reasoning you will combat piracy is absolutely ridiculous. Every single "steam protected" game has been cracked.
    Whoever used pirated games before will go to the same place to get their new copy and wouldn't care less if you changed the protection. So effectively I don't see how somebody who pirated the games before won't do it now. To really change this you have two options:
    1. Use a copy protection which hasn't been cracked. I know one and it would probably cause even bigger outrage.
    2. Ask why people are pirating - they are either too lazy to get to the store (digital distribution) or can't afford the game (lower price).
    Publishers really had a chance to kill two birds with one stone using digital distribution, but they opted for keeping there even higher prices than the brick and mortar stores, which is financially illogical.

    You can reason that Steam is cool and bringing a lot of convenience, but combating piracy? Don't insult our intelligence.

    The only thing you are achieving is annoying people who hate change and ultimately they may opt for the pirated version, which won't require any pesky activation. I'm saying you could have marketed this decision better.
    Steam has been cracked... It'll be cracked again and again for every game that's released via Steam...

  41. #341
    Amateur
    Join Date
    23rd October 2000
    Location
    Grand Rapids, USA
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazaru5 View Post
    I want a hard-copy of the game, ALWAYS, I don't use digital downloads I buy the disc...

    and then I'm going to be FORCED to install a piece of software that is invasive, intrusive, using resources unnecessarily, that I'm never going to use for anything else, its effin scandalous! I'm proper not happy!
    I'm sorry to break this to you but if you insist on a physical copy of software you will be very disappointed in the next few years. CDs and DVDs and even Blu-Ray are almost obsolete due to online distribution. Game stores will go the way of record shops and Blockbusters in the not too distant future.

  42. #342
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th November 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I have always bought the original game and like many others i was very excited to play FM 12. I even pre-ordered it 1 month ago with amazon. Now i just don't want it anymore. Not even for free. Steam? You must be joking! I'd rather type in 10000 serial numbers copied from the back of the box than to register with steam. Enought for me now.

  43. #343
    Sports Interactive David Kempshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    21st September 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpwild View Post
    I think I've bought every version of Football Manager and the latter versions of Championship Manager - I still have the boxes in the loft of the early ones I've bought. I've stayed loyal despite massive problems with Championship Manager 4 and the fiasco a few years ago with the method that was used then. However, due to other quality games coming out topped with this compulsory activation I will not buy Football Manager 2012. I'm sure it will still sell well, but at end of the day it will still get pirated whether you like it or not - I'm not defending piracy, but I'm just stating my view that it will still get pirated.

    I also think this is an attempt to stop or shrink down the second hand sales. I.e, you could buy FM and activate it via steam then sell it on, but the user would have to use it with the disc in drive.
    Really sorry you feel this way jpwild. I also have the early big boxes of FM in my cupboard at home (including the one with the manager that looked like taggart pointed towards you). I think the level of how serious we consider piracy to be intolerable has been pointed out a few times, so I won't go into it again, but sorry to hear you won't be buying the game though.

  44. #344
    Amateur
    Join Date
    25th February 2009
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    ...and this is part of the problem, I do not condone what you & your brother are doing as it is at the centre of the problem, between the pair of you SI & the retailer have been roobed of a unit which is just as bad as downloading an illegal copy.
    Not really, I've bought two copies most years, even bought more copies for various reasons and I've also spent a lot of money on community sites and supported sites and players before, all I'm doing is installing the games on two of my computers (ones a home and one's a personal) which I can use both, if I didn't my brother would just play it on my laptop anyway?

  45. #345
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakers View Post
    It's called cloud sync. Deus Ex (Which I also bought on PC DVD) saves games to the Steam servers.

    Besides that, that was not the main point of the example, which I'm sure you know.

    It was a minor example demonstrating yet another way in which it is an internet based application.
    With Steam in offline mode I don't know how it can save your FM game to the servers.


    You're demonstrating that you're afraid your account will be hacked. Well it might be. But you might be robbed tomorrow. Or the next day. Or you might have your ATM card scammed.

    What are you going to do, not use ATM machines anymore? Walk around with wallet full of cash until you're robbed? Then what?


    Billions of people securely use online facilities everyday without being hacked.

    Sure you might get hacked, then you most probably will not.

  46. #346
    International Squad
    Join Date
    5th August 2003
    Location
    I Want To Believe
    Posts
    31,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazaru5 View Post
    You don't get it, if you want to install Steam and play hundreds of games that's you problem, I don't see why I should be forced to install it just so that I can play the ONLY game that I play... hear me? I play ONE GAME, FM! No other! Why should I have to have Steam? I don't want it as I have zero need for it, none, nil, nada, nowt! Get it?
    FM needs steam to run now, so if you want to play FM, you need steam, get it?

    Steam is great anyway, its unintrusive, automatically downloads any updates to your games, can be set to "offline mode" so you dont even need to be online ( bar the activation ), has loads of great bundle deals for other games. There is no negative to this, all you need to do is download a little program, literally nothing to moan about

  47. #347
    Amateur
    Join Date
    1st November 2009
    Posts
    553

    Default

    This is an awful move, FM is the one game you can play which doesn't need your entire focus, so i always have the game going in the background while i play other games (mostly via steam) - however now i won't be able to because steam will only let you open one game at once. I don't have a problem with steam itself, i play a lot of CS and other online games (for which steam is good, because people can't play on verified servers without having a legitimate account, and steam even simplifies the difficulties once had with various online games in actually getting online, configuring and playing against other people), but it seems stupid for the ONE single player game i actually play, to restrict me to solely playing that, unless i buy a second PC and play it on a different steam account?

    Even so, for the reasons given, it's a bit of an ignorant decision anyway - the main reason steam games are "more difficult" to crack and copy than other methods is because of the fact that when you connect to a server, they're connected to a master server and if you're not on a legitimate account then you're unable to play online. For single player games however, the steam launcher and GCF file system was cracked years ago, and you can simply download a different client and play without having to connect to anything - it's just a launcher for the way steam store their games.

    For FM, a game predominantly played single player, with very little online need, it's just going to simplify copying it. The cracked steam clients even DOWNLOAD the game for you from the official steam servers, no need to search certain websites, crack the game or whatever anymore, and hope it works for each patch; just boot up the launcher, download the game and play.

    Of course, it won't impact the sales - the majority of people who buy the game won't browse these forums, and won't be aware of the fact steam is necessary now. But i'd just hope people realise how much easier playing an offline game is on steam than a standard one. You don't have to crack the actual game, but the steam platform (which is already done).

    Still gonna buy it to support the game, but i'm more than likely gonna have to play a "different" way so i can still play other games on steam simultaneously.

  48. #348
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    It's not just anything with a username and password that can be hacked. You can be hacked by simply being connected to the internet.

    Yes email accounts and services you subscribe can be hacked.

    Same as someone can through your rubbish bins and take your credit card information or whatever you have.

    Same as someone can rob you at knife or gun point and take your wallet and force you to withdraw your account



    Yes people steal things. Even on the internet. Is that your point?


    If that's your concern then unplug the internet right now. Don't go outside again. And lock your doors and keep that shotgun loaded. (might want to get some cats to throw at people as they walk by too).
    Point. Missed. Completely. It was a single point on the list of things that people need be aware of. Not a list of things that people need to run away screaming in terror and fright from. I find it hilarious that you started a massive argument over what an initially minor point and then took it to such ridiculous examples.

    Let me summarise.

    I said, to start with, as it requires an email address and password, it should be secured appropriately.

    You said "it's not a threat to online security".

    I said, no, but it needs to be secured properly.

    You said "it's not a thread to online security"

    I said, no, but it needs to be secured properly, like every other web based service.

    You said "lock yourself inside with a shotgun because you could also be mugged or have your rubbish rifled through."

    Why did you take that line of argument, and continue to take while completely disregarding what my point was?

    Of course steam will not save to the internet if it can't get to the internet, it was just yet another way of demonstrating how it is an internet based application, it having internet backups and all. I am not particularly worried about having my account hacked I am merely stating a list of things that people need to be aware of.

    I don't want to have to type that out again, please just read it and process it.
    Last edited by Wakers; 16-09-2011 at 17:44.

  49. #349
    Sports Interactive Bertie BG's Avatar
    Join Date
    15th January 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmetcalf View Post
    Not really, I've bought two copies most years, even bought more copies for various reasons and I've also spent a lot of money on community sites and supported sites and players before, all I'm doing is installing the games on two of my computers (ones a home and one's a personal) which I can use both, if I didn't my brother would just play it on my laptop anyway?
    He still can, just not at the same time as you. That would require two licenses and always has done. The same as most other games.

  50. #350
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    24th November 2005
    Location
    1 year, 2 trophies. 3 more in 4 years - what dya reckon?
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    FFS SI do you not listen to those of us that do actually buy the game. Shame on whoever made that decision, I'll wager a Sega directive rather than an SI one - if I am wrong then you, SI, have really lost touch with your people!

    For the prpose of this email this tone is very very restrained from what I actually think.

  51. #351
    Banned
    Join Date
    19th June 2010
    Posts
    406

    Default

    I think this is a really poor decision. Many people such as myself dislike Steam because having to have it's stupid client open drains system resources, which is particularly annoying on the lower end computers. I note that the below average PC's of FM users have long been a reason for poor high-res support and lack of 64-bit amongst other things, but I see this has now been discarded. It also means that I have to connect to the internet to start the game, and given my net is intermittent at best this will be very aggravating. I am by no means against having Steam as an option, as I can see its benefits and why some people prefer it, but forcing software on us is not cool. And no, it won't stop piracy - that has never ever been done by anyone, and Steam has continually failed. The best solution is to convince people not to pirate it by making it as easy to install and unintrusive as possible and accept that some people will anyway. This just hurts honest consumers and increases piracy as people want to do things like play it on multiple computers or without Steam. I know it would be foolish of me to state that I will pirate the game here, but I can honestly see many people doing so just to avoid the hassle and convince SI not to make this kind of move in the future.

  52. #352
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    13th August 2009
    Location
    The past, in defiance of the present and the future
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdpoo View Post
    I'm not against the this move as I stopped using disks for anything ages ago.

    But the reasoning you will combat piracy is absolutely ridiculous. Every single "steam protected" game has been cracked.
    Whoever used pirated games before will go to the same place to get their new copy and wouldn't care less if you changed the protection. So effectively I don't see how somebody who pirated the games before won't do it now. To really change this you have two options:
    1. Use a copy protection which hasn't been cracked. I know one and it would probably cause even bigger outrage.
    2. Ask why people are pirating - they are either too lazy to get to the store (digital distribution) or can't afford the game (lower price).
    Publishers really had a chance to kill two birds with one stone using digital distribution, but they opted for keeping there even higher prices than the brick and mortar stores, which is financially illogical.

    You can reason that Steam is cool and bringing a lot of convenience, but combating piracy? Don't insult our intelligence.

    The only thing you are achieving is annoying people who hate change and ultimately they may opt for the pirated version, which won't require any pesky activation. I'm saying you could have marketed this decision better.
    nail on head.

    there's really no point in arguing this at all. you can see how much SI/SEGA care about their core fanbase simply buy the replies of 'don't buy it then' (pretty much) by the staff on here. (i thought they were trying to stop a decrease in sales. obviously dont care too much by these replies!)

  53. #353
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,869

    Default

    You don't have to connect to internet to start the game. Just to activate it. Put Steam into offline mode once activated and you can play without even being connected to the internet.

    You must have a very poor quality computer for Steam to have any affect that is noticeable on your system resources.

  54. #354
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th December 2005
    Location
    Britannia stadium
    Posts
    419

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by moon_goat View Post
    This is an awful move, FM is the one game you can play which doesn't need your entire focus, so i always have the game going in the background while i play other games (mostly via steam) - however now i won't be able to because steam will only let you open one game at once. I don't have a problem with steam itself, i play a lot of CS and other online games (for which steam is good, because people can't play on verified servers without having a legitimate account, and steam even simplifies the difficulties once had with various online games in actually getting online, configuring and playing against other people), but it seems stupid for the ONE single player game i actually play, to restrict me to solely playing that, unless i buy a second PC and play it on a different steam account?

    Even so, for the reasons given, it's a bit of an ignorant decision anyway - the main reason steam games are "more difficult" to crack and copy than other methods is because of the fact that when you connect to a server, they're connected to a master server and if you're not on a legitimate account then you're unable to play online. For single player games however, the steam launcher and GCF file system was cracked years ago, and you can simply download a different client and play without having to connect to anything - it's just a launcher for the way steam store their games.

    For FM, a game predominantly played single player, with very little online need, it's just going to simplify copying it. The cracked steam clients even DOWNLOAD the game for you from the official steam servers, no need to search certain websites, crack the game or whatever anymore, and hope it works for each patch; just boot up the launcher, download the game and play.

    Of course, it won't impact the sales - the majority of people who buy the game won't browse these forums, and won't be aware of the fact steam is necessary now. But i'd just hope people realise how much easier playing an offline game is on steam than a standard one. You don't have to crack the actual game, but the steam platform (which is already done).

    Still gonna buy it to support the game, but i'm more than likely gonna have to play a "different" way so i can still play other games on steam simultaneously.
    moon_goat well said

  55. #355
    Amateur
    Join Date
    22nd October 2004
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I think this is absolutely appalling.

    I have a steam account and it was once hacked/stolen. In the time taken (2 weeks) to recover my account i was not able to play any games associated with that ID.

    I have bought every edition of CM/FM from the very first but I will not buy this one. If it was up to me I may very well activated it on steam, but to not give me the choice is a step too far.

    If you have bought a disc that should be verification enough.

    BIG OWN GOAL.

  56. #356
    Amateur
    Join Date
    3rd August 2010
    Posts
    189

    Default

    I REALLY hate Steam... But I already have it on my PC to play 'The Last Remnant'. I'd rather avoid having another game on it because I did run into some issues with it (Steam not updating, for example).

    But whatever, you gotta do what you gotta do. I love FM too much to pass up on it.

  57. #357
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanson View Post
    I'm sorry to break this to you but if you insist on a physical copy of software you will be very disappointed in the next few years. CDs and DVDs and even Blu-Ray are almost obsolete due to online distribution. Game stores will go the way of record shops and Blockbusters in the not too distant future.
    No, I am sorry to break it to you, sir...

    Digital distribution is increasing, but not to the point as to where the physical copy will be eliminated.

    If caps on broadband in this and other countries publishers wont get rid of the physical copy just yet.

    Even the next gaming consoles will be, in my opinion, physical media based.

    My broadband is capped at 30GB a month for around £19.90 monthly fee. What if I wanted to download legally the Star Wars blu ray that's just been released? How big would that be? Plus not everyone has mega download speeds. I don't. I don't live in an area with a massive LLU presence and my download speeds are around 260 kb/s or kbs. I don't see massive change in the near future on that front. I don't see bandwidth caps being abolished for the average broadband consumer.

  58. #358
    Amateur
    Join Date
    3rd March 2010
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakers View Post
    Oh come on guys, this is silly now

    Look, if someone gets your account and password, they can get into your account. Regardless of whether or not you set the application to offline on your computer. Your games are saved on Steam servers. It is an internet based application.

    Look at it this way - if you don't have the internet at all, then you can't use Steam. That is not a local application, that is an internet basned application. Steam requires the internet at one stage, or another, in order for it to what it is designed to do. I can't possible make it more clear. It is an internet based application.
    As has been said earlier - stop spreading mis-information. Your games are saved onto YOUR COMPUTER, otherwise why would you have to download the game if you purchase it via steam? Same with updates - why would you have to download updates if the game was on a steam server.

    The list of games you have purchased is stored on Steam servers, that's it.

  59. #359
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    12th November 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerhgrrrrrr View Post
    FFS SI do you not listen to those of us that do actually buy the game. Shame on whoever made that decision, I'll wager a Sega directive rather than an SI one - if I am wrong then you, SI, have really lost touch with your people!

    For the prpose of this email this tone is very very restrained from what I actually think.
    Dont you think SI and Sega have done lots of calculations before making this decision? - Many FM'ers already use Steam and perhaps many pirates will actually buy the game now and then the loss of those who do not wish to use steam may be ignored..

    IMO this is a smart decision of SI to at least try it out to see if it helps. They have to do something and IMO Steam is a good option to choose. If you disapprove, then dont buy FM2012..

  60. #360
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    29th November 2008
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggins' Young Boys View Post
    nail on head.

    there's really no point in arguing this at all. you can see how much SI/SEGA care about their core fanbase simply buy the replies of 'don't buy it then' (pretty much) by the staff on here. (i thought they were trying to stop a decrease in sales. obviously dont care too much by these replies!)
    Now that's totally unfair. The decision has been made for this year (already stated in this thread) which means no amount of b*chin, moaning or complaining from anyone, no matter how loudly, is going to change the fact that this year's game requires Steam. And since this is a fact which cannot be changed, then what else are they going to say/react like? Seriously.

  61. #361
    Amateur
    Join Date
    25th February 2009
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Ignoring that point the fact still remains. FM's fan base has been one of the most loyal for a long while and over the past few years they have felt increasingly aggrieved by SI and it's policies towards them and the community. Fact is the whole SI community and Affiliate scheme is the biggest joke ever, ideas like this are the biggest joke ever and yet you still wonder whilst people still feel aggrieved and unfairly treated by SI.

  62. #362
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakers View Post
    Point. Missed. Completely. It was a single point on the list of things that people need be aware of. Not a list of things that people need to run away screaming in terror and fright from. I find it hilarious that you started a massive argument over what an initially minor point and then took it to such ridiculous examples.

    etc.
    Look you're basically saying it's not secure you said in the snipped post above that "It needs to be secured properly"

    This gives other people the impression it's not secured properly.


    Which is incorrect.

  63. #363
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    You don't have to connect to internet to start the game. Just to activate it. Put Steam into offline mode once activated and you can play without even being connected to the internet.

    You must have a very poor quality computer for Steam to have any affect that is noticeable on your system resources.
    Who was that replying to?

  64. #364
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th October 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Will I still be able to install the game from the disk? In previous years when I've bought the disk and installed through this apparently apocalypse creating bit of software otherwise known as steam, it downloaded the game instead of installing from disk (unless I did something wrong in my haste to play) when the game was sat in my disk drive!! In the end I gave up and installed without steam due to my impatience not paranoia.

  65. #365
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    Look you're basically saying it's not secure you said in the snipped post above that "It needs to be secured properly"

    This gives other people the impression it's not secured properly.


    Which is incorrect.
    What the hell? Can someone else please tell me that I'm not going nuts here?

    Saying it needs to be secured properly means that you need to give it a decent password that is not the same as your email password. That is securing it properly, that applies to every web service you sign up to. This is my point. Not that Steam itself is a security risk, that has never been my point.

  66. #366
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmetcalf View Post
    Not really, I've bought two copies most years, even bought more copies for various reasons and I've also spent a lot of money on community sites and supported sites and players before, all I'm doing is installing the games on two of my computers (ones a home and one's a personal) which I can use both, if I didn't my brother would just play it on my laptop anyway?
    Still a breach of the EULA you agreed to when installing the game, multiple installs with the intention of allowing another person to play the game at the same time os the primary user is illegal.

  67. #367
    Amateur
    Join Date
    23rd October 2000
    Location
    Grand Rapids, USA
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Em, you do have one need for it.

    FM 2012

  68. #368
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    Still a breach of the EULA you agreed to when installing the game, multiple installs with the intention of allowing another person to play the game at the same time os the primary user is illegal.
    Come on, lol

    I'm sure you don't lead a whiter than white lifestyle unless you're planning on becoming a choirboy.

  69. #369
    Amateur
    Join Date
    5th September 2008
    Posts
    553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    What you've been doing for a number of years is essentially illegal and in breach of the terms when sold the game I'm afraid.
    And you terms are really stupid. It's like saying that they cant share a car and have to buy 2 cars, or cant listen to a music record because they havent bought two. I understand that piracy is hurting your company financially but the fact is that YOU CANT STOP PIRACY!!! What you can do and did is **** off a lot of people ( like me ) who hate steam. Also fun fact: Piracy isnt only a bad thing, without it Football Manager wouldn't be as big ( in terms of reputation and community ) as it is today, just like in the music or movie industry, without piracy i really doubt that Metallica would be as big as they are, or Coldplay or any other band.

  70. #370
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Location
    Oldbury, West Midlands
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Folks

    I am not sure what the fuss is about with steam.. I have used it for a while and think its great. access to game without having the disk all the time, can play on other computers as well

    Brilliant !!

    That should upset a few people but hey ho :-)

  71. #371
    Amateur
    Join Date
    17th July 2008
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    212

    Default

    If it will really help to piracy to decrease, then I appreciate but I do not think it will help, especially in Turkey. Instead of giving such amounts to play (it is really really expensive in Turkey), people can just give up playing Football Manager. At least FM2012.

    I use Steam for 2 years, so I have no problem with the decision but just want to know, do you really think that it will decrease the piracy? If you think so, I will be just wishing that you're right.

  72. #372
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    29th November 2008
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FM1000 View Post
    And you terms are really stupid. It's like saying that they cant share a car and have to buy 2 cars, or cant listen to a music record because they havent bought two. I understand that piracy is hurting your company financially but the fact is that YOU CANT STOP PIRACY!!! What you can do and did is **** off a lot of people ( like me ) who hate steam. Also fun fact: Piracy isnt only a bad thing, without it Football Manager wouldn't be as big ( in terms of reputation ) as it is today, just like in the music or movie industry, without piracy i really doubt that Metallica would be as big as they are, or Coldplay or any other band.
    You are joking, right?

  73. #373
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th November 2008
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moon_goat View Post
    This is an awful move, FM is the one game you can play which doesn't need your entire focus, so i always have the game going in the background while i play other games (mostly via steam) - however now i won't be able to because steam will only let you open one game at once. I don't have a problem with steam itself, i play a lot of CS and other online games (for which steam is good, because people can't play on verified servers without having a legitimate account, and steam even simplifies the difficulties once had with various online games in actually getting online, configuring and playing against other people), but it seems stupid for the ONE single player game i actually play, to restrict me to solely playing that, unless i buy a second PC and play it on a different steam account?
    That is not the case, I just tested with FM and TF2 simultaneously.

  74. #374
    Banned
    Join Date
    9th September 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    So basically your forcing people to get Steam to activate, and also your alienating people that dont have an internet connection. Just like FM09 when I didnt have one and was forced to phone a premium rate number to activate my game. Absolute farce.

    I wont be purchasing this years game now. I was contemplating it anyway as its just crap feature after crap feature, and bug after bug because of said poorly tested features each year, but this has just tipped it over the edge.

  75. #375
    Amateur
    Join Date
    7th February 2006
    Location
    london
    Posts
    762

    Default

    i dont like the fact that to play my favourite game of the year every year i have to install a third party software which in my previous experience has used a lot of resources (all be it on laptops with 1-2 gb of ram) an i feel that a lot of people playing the game will have a lot of crashes due to having to use this.

    also one other point if there is only one way to activate the game is through steam then there is going to be chaos with loads of people trying to activate the game at once which will surely lead to more people being annoyed because it was bad enough a couple years back when we had two options to activate the game and it took me best part of a whole day to activate so surely with only 1 option to activate it will take twice as log to be able to activate.

  76. #376
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th June 2004
    Location
    Leeds United- at least until the world stops going round!, and on xbox live with the 360.GT=STANNY
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    But djvandyke, you use Xbox Live right? Well damn Microsoft! They forced you to sign up to a service to use their online products. Surely they should burn in the fiery hells of Satan like Steam should right?
    Thats hardly the same thing. People log in to and pay for Xbox live in order to use the online sevices it provides. Not in order to play an offline game that has been paid for!

  77. #377
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    27,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moon_goat View Post
    however now i won't be able to because steam will only let you open one game at once..
    Nah, I have FM running atm on steam and fired up two other games via Steam to check, all three are running simultaneously.

  78. #378
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I really don't understand what's all that fuss is all about.
    When I discovered, that I could register my FM10 with Steam I was delighted. Especially, since I play FM both on Mac and PC and before Steam I had to keep DVD in my Mac's drive.

    I think only three kinds of people will have any problems with this -
    - Those, who buy one copy and use it on couple (or even more) computers, sharing the game with friends etc. In other words, pirates.
    - People paranoid about privacy etc. And I really mean PARANOID, not 'aware' or anything like this. That kind of people who don't use gmail, because 'google reads their email, so the ads are relevant to the mail's content'.
    - Those who just don't understand what steam is and are scared of new things.

    For any other, normal, user this move makes total sense. Steam came out like 5, 6 years ago? Maybe even earlier, I don't remember, but it's a really good program. Millions of people use it every day and have no problems with it.

    -And yes, you can't resale game. That's true. But what's the resale value of FM11 now? 5$? Cmon.
    -If anything happen with your account you can easily get it back with help from their help support, the only thing you'll need is the cd-key of the first game you registered there.
    -It requires internet connection only once, to install and activate game. Then, you can turn on offline mode and stay in it for months (at least, never tried that for longer then 2). And if you're going to say 'I will not remain logged in on my personal computer because it's not safe' - you're paranoid. That's it.
    -Steam has the ability to store savegames, but I don't think FM will use it - their saves are too big.
    -You can use any datapacks, facepacks, kitpacks etc when using FM on steam, it'll be just in different folder.
    -This program uses hardly no resources at all, so don't be afraid, that your computer will run slower.
    -Game autoupdates when online, which is really convenient.
    -There is no reason why there should be any problem with activating FM on the first day - first of all, it's not the most popular game on the earth and secondly - Steam really has experience with this.

    And the person who asked wheter you can buy FM on Steam - yes, with CC, paypal or in some other way.

    So there's that. Good move. Thumbs up SI.
    And anyone, who is unsure because some people say it's the end of the world - don't worry, Steam works great and you all will be fine.
    Last edited by Drucik; 16-09-2011 at 17:56.

  79. #379
    Amateur
    Join Date
    3rd March 2010
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FM1000 View Post
    And you terms are really stupid. It's like saying that they cant share a car and have to buy 2 cars, or cant listen to a music record because they havent bought two. I understand that piracy is hurting your company financially but the fact is that YOU CANT STOP PIRACY!!! What you can do and did is **** off a lot of people ( like me ) who hate steam. Also fun fact: Piracy isnt only a bad thing, without it Football Manager wouldn't be as big ( in terms of reputation and community ) as it is today, just like in the music or movie industry, without piracy i really doubt that Metallica would be as big as they are, or Coldplay or any other band.
    Although I agree with your reasoning, in terms of brothers having to buy 2 copies of the game who live in the same house. The fact that you are effectively justifying piracy, which not only costs SI and other game makers but also the consumer (YOU!) is just baffling. If piracy didn't exist SI wouldn't have to spend time, money and resources having to combat it and that cost is reflected in the game price. Simple. It's also the reason why everyone has to use Steam.

  80. #380
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I live in Rural Shropshire and do not have access to the internet! Does this mean that because of this I cannot play football manager???
    Also are you selling the game in shops with the Disk? If so what is the point if we have to use steam anyway? Really not happy with this news and may be the first time in 12 years that I do not purchase the game!

  81. #381
    Sports Interactive Bertie BG's Avatar
    Join Date
    15th January 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FM1000 View Post
    And you terms are really stupid. It's like saying that they cant share a car and have to buy 2 cars, or cant listen to a music record because they havent bought two. I understand that piracy is hurting your company financially but the fact is that YOU CANT STOP PIRACY!!! What you can do and did is **** off a lot of people ( like me ) who hate steam. Also fun fact: Piracy isnt only a bad thing, without it Football Manager wouldn't be as big ( in terms of reputation and community ) as it is today, just like in the music or movie industry, without piracy i really doubt that Metallica would be as big as they are, or Coldplay or any other band.
    I've never read any solid evidence to suggest that piracy actually increase sales of anything. At best any evidence behind it that I've seen has always been circumstantial. It's certainly not the case with Football Manager though.

    More people play the game pirated each year than do legally. To say that piracy helps sales when that's the case is just rubbish. Piracy is illegal and it threatens the continuation of any creative product including FM.

    FM selling more games is to the benefit of those who buy the game legally as well. The more we sell, the more is invested into the studio and the more progress we can make with each iteration.

  82. #382
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th June 2004
    Location
    Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.
    Posts
    35,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidbowie View Post
    EULA's have the legal powers of something scribbled on a snotty napkin.

    The law usually says if you buy something you own the title and can do what you like, and putting it on two computers isn't against the law no matter what the "EULA" says. Especially if he doesn't circumvent any copy protection to do so.

    Don't quote me on that, but I'm just saying that the reality isn't going to be black and white.

    Anyway, I already pre-ordered on steam.
    You're paying for the license to use the game, not the game itself.

  83. #383
    Banned
    Join Date
    15th November 2009
    Posts
    18,753

    Default

    This thread is ridiculous, think people are massively overreacting.

  84. #384
    Sports Interactive Bertie BG's Avatar
    Join Date
    15th January 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jacox View Post
    I live in Rural Shropshire and do not have access to the internet! Does this mean that because of this I cannot play football manager???
    Also are you selling the game in shops with the Disk? If so what is the point if we have to use steam anyway? Really not happy with this news and may be the first time in 12 years that I do not purchase the game!
    Yes we're still selling the game in shops with the disc but you have to activate it once online to be able to use it.

  85. #385
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    9th March 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, US
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STANNY08 View Post
    Just because you, or even many people think its a great service doesnt mean we want it, or should have to have it. I heard the blonde at the local brothel provides a great service, i dont want that though, and certainly wouldnt want it forced on me!
    If you don't want it don't get the game. I'm sure the 19,853 current FM11 players on Steam will be fine with picking up FM12 on Steam.

  86. #386
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th July 2011
    Posts
    239

    Default

    It seems like the only way to play this game without steam is by waiting for the pirated version..

    I really hope that the one time steam activation will combat piracy, but do you have any figures that prove that steam activated games are less pirated? To me the decision seems to be more based on nudging us towards the use of steam. I would not at all be surprised if Steam pays you guys for the extra signed up members, because everyone who downloads steam will see the ads. This makes the decision perfectly logical, but hardly made out of security reasons.

    These are just my 2 cents and I may be completely wrong, but a quick search shows that all the popular Steam titles are available on the common torrent websites and makes me doubt that the nuisance for paying customers is worth it.
    • On a completely different note: When (And I say when because I will buy it) I activate my CD through steam, does that mean that I no longer have to play with the CD?

  87. #387
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpwild View Post
    Come on, lol

    I'm sure you don't lead a whiter than white lifestyle unless you're planning on becoming a choirboy.
    That's not the issue. we've seen a few people already posting that they openly ignore the agreemnet they signed & such statements will just serve to cement SI/SEGA in having steam only activation.

    If people were only willing to pay what is required in full & not exploit loopholes to get a free lunch then we would be in a much better place but I'm afraid such a place is just a pipe dream.
    Last edited by Barside; 16-09-2011 at 18:05.

  88. #388
    Amateur
    Join Date
    3rd March 2010
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jacox View Post
    I live in Rural Shropshire and do not have access to the internet! Does this mean that because of this I cannot play football manager???
    Also are you selling the game in shops with the Disk? If so what is the point if we have to use steam anyway? Really not happy with this news and may be the first time in 12 years that I do not purchase the game!
    Without stating the obvious, you just posted on an online forum..

  89. #389
    Banned
    Join Date
    9th September 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bertie BG View Post
    Yes we're still selling the game in shops with the disc but you have to activate it once online to be able to use it.
    So what about people that dont have the internet

  90. #390
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bertie BG View Post
    I've never read any solid evidence to suggest that piracy actually increase sales of anything. At best any evidence behind it that I've seen has always been circumstantial. It's certainly not the case with Football Manager though.

    More people play the game pirated each year than do legally. To say that piracy helps sales when that's the case is just rubbish. Piracy is illegal and it threatens the continuation of any creative product including FM.

    FM selling more games is to the benefit of those who buy the game legally as well. The more we sell, the more is invested into the studio and the more progress we can make with each iteration.
    Of course, it's terrible that so many people pirate a title. It doesn't give the people who work on it the credit they deserve.

    Piracy is a big problem but the games industry (and other industries) need to think of better ways to overcome it, or earn money. In game advertisements would be one way (as even pirates are exposed to them, if they can't be turned off.) - although some people will see that as an even worse move than using Steam

  91. #391
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bertie BG View Post
    Yes we're still selling the game in shops with the disc but you have to activate it once online to be able to use it.
    but will FM12 run once activated if I have no internet access?

  92. #392
    Amateur
    Join Date
    22nd October 2004
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Bertie BG - "More people play the game pirated each year than do legally." - Complete crap, now SI are even resorting to bull to try to wriggle out of this one.

  93. #393
    Banned
    Join Date
    9th September 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dune297 View Post
    If you don't want it don't get the game. I'm sure the 19,853 current FM11 players on Steam will be fine with picking up FM12 on Steam.
    Yes because 19,853 is a massive amount of sales isnt it

  94. #394
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th September 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave80 View Post
    Without stating the obvious, you just posted on an online forum..
    Without stating the flipping obvious mate, most of us have mobile phones!

  95. #395
    Sports Interactive Bertie BG's Avatar
    Join Date
    15th January 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Styles View Post
    It seems like the only way to play this game without steam is by waiting for the pirated version..

    I really hope that the one time steam activation will combat piracy, but do you have any figures that prove that steam activated games are less pirated? To me the decision seems to be more based on nudging us towards the use of steam. I would not at all be surprised if Steam pays you guys for the extra signed up members, because everyone who downloads steam will see the ads. This makes the decision perfectly logical, but hardly made out of security reasons.

    These are just my 2 cents and I may be completely wrong, but a quick search shows that all the popular Steam titles are available on the common torrent websites and makes me doubt that the nuisance for paying customers is worth it.
    • On a completely different note: When (And I say when because I will buy it) I activate my CD through steam, does that mean that I no longer have to play with the CD?
    Firstly, as has already been stated no money changed hands with Steam. We're using them because we feel they offer the best system for combating piracy that is currently available.

    To answer your question. Once activated through Steam you won't need the CD any more.

  96. #396
    Amateur
    Join Date
    20th April 2010
    Location
    Stoke on Trent
    Posts
    103

    Default

    No overreaction here and no hysterics. I just don't want Steam on my computer. I've installed it before, didn't like it and have never installed it since. In this day and age, it is nice to have a choice to be honest. I don't like having to pay my hard earned money for a game then be told I have to install a piece of Software I don't want, to be able to play it.

    I've bought every single game this company has produced and even bought extra copies when i've been stupid enough to lose a copy. Piracy?

    You've just lost a customer.

  97. #397
    Banned
    Join Date
    9th September 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bertie BG View Post
    Firstly, as has already been stated no money changed hands with Steam. We're using them because we feel they offer the best system for combating piracy that is currently available.

    To answer your question. Once activated through Steam you won't need the CD any more.
    So why spend X amount of £'s making CD/DVD's of the game when after the inital activation they are basically useless? Did a 4 year old think this system through?

    And if everybody needs internet access and Steam to activate anyway, people may aswell just buy it through steam. Are you sure you havent taken any money off Steam?

  98. #398
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th June 2004
    Location
    Leeds United- at least until the world stops going round!, and on xbox live with the 360.GT=STANNY
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milnerpoint View Post
    The box will clearly state you need the internet and steam to play, so really it would be the fault of the person buying the game if that happened.
    Will this not cause a lot of casual gamers to not bother with the game at all? Pick up the box and read " must have internet and steam to play this game", thinks to himself, "i dont have internet at uni/on the train/ or wherever, and what the heck is steam!"

  99. #399
    Third Team
    Join Date
    4th January 2000
    Location
    Speak ill of Sweden again, and I swear I'll steal a B-52 and bomb you back to the dark ages.
    Posts
    8,375

    Default

    Bad move. I think I'll skip FM from now on.

  100. #400
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th February 2003
    Location
    Richmond, N.Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Styles View Post
    It seems like the only way to play this game without steam is by waiting for the pirated version..

    I really hope that the one time steam activation will combat piracy, but do you have any figures that prove that steam activated games are less pirated? To me the decision seems to be more based on nudging us towards the use of steam. I would not at all be surprised if Steam pays you guys for the extra signed up members, because everyone who downloads steam will see the ads. This makes the decision perfectly logical, but hardly made out of security reasons.

    These are just my 2 cents and I may be completely wrong, but a quick search shows that all the popular Steam titles are available on the common torrent websites and makes me doubt that the nuisance for paying customers is worth it.
    • On a completely different note: When (And I say when because I will buy it) I activate my CD through steam, does that mean that I no longer have to play with the CD?
    Yup, once a game is activated on steam you can take play the game without a CD in the drive.

    Another positive for the use of steam which many dont know about.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts