How long does it take you to complete a season?

SSC

Ive finally bought FM11 after a couple of years out of the game, but wondering how long it takes to get through a season when starting the game from scratch etc. Seen some people in year 2060 etc and have obviously got loads of saves, just wondering how you all have the time!! Oh to be a student again...

Depends how many leagues I'm running. At the moment I'm managing in Wales and only have the Welsh leagues loaded so I can easily go through 4-5 in a day by holidaying past cup games and through transfer windows. But when I have a larger database with 80,000 players or something of that nature it'll take about 1-2 days for a season to be completed.

I'm in 2063 and I'm averaging about 20 hours a season, but the time I take will vary a lot depending on my situation. Currently I'm playing with just commentary so I'm belting through the seasons.

How much of a difference does the graphics engine make? The last version I had just had the dots on a 2d screen passing around, not sure if I need the fancy players running around but if it makes a difference to spotting tactical issues then its probably worth it?

How much of a difference does the graphics engine make? The last version I had just had the dots on a 2d screen passing around, not sure if I need the fancy players running around but if it makes a difference to spotting tactical issues then its probably worth it?

I think they both have their advantages for building tactics. The 2D view is better for studying the positioning of your players but the 3D view will give you a better idea of the height of the ball, which can be good for looking at things like crosses. I usually use a mixture of the two to create a tactic, but I use 3D once my tactics are sorted.

Depends how into a game I am. At the height of my FM addiction (January), I got through a season every one and a half days, so two seasons every three days. It was fun :p

On my Man City save I bomb through them as I only really care about the development of youth, so holiday most matches. My squad, subs and backup players are all good enough to beat any team, so I just fly through in order to develop my academy prospects.

I just play in bursts, most of the year I don't even touch FM, at times I've got a 2-3 years without buying a version either (none from CM97/98 to cm01/02, didn't get any CM4s, didn't get FM07, haven't played this current FM since Jan properly).

But yeah, if I have nothing else to do easily a season a day. I usually blitz through 4-5 seasons in say a week and a bit and then quit as I think the game becomes quite poor then.

I'm up to the 2023-24 season now with my Sunderland save. I can progress reasonably quickly now as my squad and staff are very good, so quite often I just get my Assistant Manager to play the middling games, while I take charge of the big ones and do all the strategic management stuff.

Hmmm, on seasons 1-5, probably take me out 3-4 days to complete, of around 10 hours a day. (Unemployed for a while, going to University, hence the amount of free time)

But then once I get to the stage of having a tactic, being successful and if I chose to carry on, then can take just a day of playing, just watching commentary and going through games.

I've stopped playing though now, until new one comes out.

For me it takes around 4-7 days as I like to spend my time researching teams, players and referee records for my preparation for a match.

If I don't do that though, like in international football, it can take me around a day to get through a season.

It takes me a long time... I am way too much into this frivolous past-time... cue maniacal laugh. Approximately 4.5 days (~110 hours) of actual playing time per season so far. That figure is derived from dividing my total hours played (45 days 6 hours - I'm playing FM2009) by the number of seasons played (10). I'll definitely get on a roll at points and then go off it and then a bit later back on etc. But I only ever do one save (but lots of rolling copies). I play as Adelaide United. Restricted by a wage budget of ~25K and a league squad salary cap of 18.8K it pays to recruit carefully and you can't keep most star players for more than 3 senior seasons so lots of recruiting to be done. The team plays in a 4 match preseason against affiliate clubs, a Preseason Cup of 4 matches (3 group 1 final), league of 21 matches , Asian Champions League of 6 matches (if current champion and win qtr, semi, final home and away), Club World Championship of 3 matches (3 games entry as ACL winner, 2 games guaranteed 3 if first game is win), Pan Pacific Cup of 2 matches, Leauge Finals Cup of 3 matches (2 guaranteed, 3 for a top seed win, 5 max from qualifying win) and a 3 game end of season European Tour ending in a feature match against Sunderland at Stadium of Light (Go the Black Cats). Adding to this are 4 matches preseason for the Youths and an 18 game Youth League. So last season 68 games in total. I have just become Australian national team coach so now have a stupid number of International games per season (U19, U20, U21, U23, Seniors) to look forward to now as well. The most arduous thing is picking the international squads for the first time. Took me about a week (real time)!

Archived