Chairman keeps selling all my best players :(

Hello,

I'm not a big poster, but I keep having a problem with my team chairman who seems to enjoy selling all my best players (especially up-and-coming players whom I am building my team around).

Currently I'm playing a smaller team (FC Vaduz in the Swiss Super League), and I'm having a hard enough time keeping my head above water without getting my best/future best players sold left and right.

Is there any way I can keep the chairman from meddling? All I've found I can do is give angry comments about him in a press conference, that doesn't seem to hold him back, and there doesn't seem any applicable boardroom request or way to talk to him privately.

Hopefully these methods of dealing with a trigger happy chairman will be implemented in 2012, but until then, any solutions?

Currently the chairman "loves the club"

I always set the asking price on players I do not want to sell to £200 million in the set transfer status, seems to scare off the big teams. I got a lot of interest in my Crewe players when I was promoted to the Premier League, after I set their values to the max I didn't receive any bids for the players I wanted to keep. This results in news items saying teams are interested and it is thought a bid of £60 million is needed, obviously no team will bid that high so you get to keep the players.

Afraid theres not much you can do...as in real life really. If the chairman accepts a bid and the player goes, thats it. The only protest vote you have I suppose is to resign...

In future, it would be nice to have more interaction with the board over such matters. Would be nice to be able to say stuff like 'If we can keep hold of 'Player X' until January/End of the Season I believe we could achieve more' but then you would have to adjust your seasons expectations upwards, seek guarantees that the money made will be available to reinvest in the squad or even directly threaten to resign if the player is sold.

But at the moment these options arent available!

Thanks for the tips, I will try setting the high asking price.

Currently I have an 18-year old 4.5-Star Czech midfielder regen who is getting tons of interest from Chelsea, Arsenal, Barcelona, and Valencia, whom I'm structuring my team around. So hopefully that will keep him.

I always set the asking price on players I do not want to sell to £200 million in the set transfer status, seems to scare off the big teams. I got a lot of interest in my Crewe players when I was promoted to the Premier League, after I set their values to the max I didn't receive any bids for the players I wanted to keep. This results in news items saying teams are interested and it is thought a bid of £60 million is needed, obviously no team will bid that high so you get to keep the players.

You've done that completely wrong.

If you set the asking price to a very high value, then clubs will bid relatively high amounts, obviously nowhere near your asking price, but frequently high enough to make your chairman accept the bids.

What you need to do is set your asking price to £0 and set it to reject all bids. With an asking price of £0, no club will ever bid over £0 for the player, and therefore nobody will ever place a bid high enough to make your chairman accept it.

That's FM emulating real life, obviously. If it didn't happen, you'd complain about the lack of realism!

The £0 asking price thing is cheap, exploitative, and totally unrealistic, but apparently it works, so you could try that. If you want to keep your best players, though, you'll just have to try to make Switzerland an all-powerful footballing nation where all the top stars want to play. I think you can accomplish this by 2089, Good luck!

You can also try offering the player a new contract when he's in talks with another club if he accepts the transfer to another club won't happen.

Chances are he'll always choose the bigger club though. It'd probably take a budget-busting offer from a smaller club to even tempt him, which if accepted would probably jeopardise the clubs finances.

When you do this the bigger clubs are usually sniffing around the same player by the time the next transfer window comes around anyway.

If I'm having a great season and the club is in stellar financial shape (you know, when you get a lower league club promoted, win the double 5 times in a row and flip new regens for great profit), then the chairman shouldn't sell my key players. He may be greedy, but not dumb. Also after that great success (financial and on the pitch) my word should mean something.

You've done that completely wrong.

If you set the asking price to a very high value, then clubs will bid relatively high amounts, obviously nowhere near your asking price, but frequently high enough to make your chairman accept the bids.

What you need to do is set your asking price to £0 and set it to reject all bids. With an asking price of £0, no club will ever bid over £0 for the player, and therefore nobody will ever place a bid high enough to make your chairman accept it.

I have not got it wrong in my experiences I have never had a bid for any of my star players when setting their value to £200 million. I have had enquiries and told them I want £200 million and they do not bid again. I have done this in all my long term saves and the chairman has never accepted a bid in 20 season at Crewe or 15 seasons at Sunderland. I also did this at Puebla and despite interest from the top European clubs no one has bid for my players.

I have heard of doing it the way you say but I prefer to set high prices.

I have heard of doing it the way you say but I prefer to set high prices.

i think this a more realistic/reasonable way of doing it, than setting asking prices at 0. although depending on the player, i'll normally set them lower, just incase i get a tempter.

anywhere between 40 mill and 200 mill.

^This^. And never respond to transfer rumours in the press.

200 millions isn't necessary. 3 times his "value" should do, as AI clubs normally refuses to even consider a bid over 133%. If you want to be sure, go to 4 or 5 times the value. To me it seems like the AI's transfer/contract policy is a straight up calculation based on absolutes. If they bid £1m for your player and you want 1 333 333, they'll accept. If you want 1 333 334 or more they'll refuse and they will never ever pay that much no matter how much they need that player. They'll rather play a season without goalkeepers in the squad than exceed that set-in-stone number. And keep their £100m transfer budget to themselves...

The same goes for contract negotiations. If his initial demand is £100k p/w, it doesn't matter if you set your counter-offer to £1 or £76k. If said absolute is 33%, he will want 77 in his 2nd offer. And that is really his final offer in terms of "contract calculation points". If you want the weekly wage to be lower than that, you will need to increase other stuff to compensate until the contract is worth the same amount of points to the player.

Edit: and yes, as said above never respond to transfer speculation in the press. Those are "mind games" sort of answers, all three of them. "Hands off" = make me a big bid - it is the sort of thing you say if you want to drive up the price of the player in question if you think you cannot keep him. "Listen to any offers" = I'll accept all offers - in FM10 his transfer status was actually set to Accept All Offers, I don't know if this is the case also in FM11. The middle option is somewhere in between, but it is also an "advertisement" for your player just like the two others.

If you want to keep your player, don't respond.

I would like to see an interaction closer to real life. I guess the clubs accepting good offers is part of football life and should not be artificially tampered with by us. Part of the challenge of being a football manager is being able to replace players who move on and build teams - look at Fergie, lost Ronaldo and Tevez but has once again built a side. I saw my Wimbledon side continually lose their best player season after season but replaced well and prospered.

If you are short of funds or receiving offers to good to refuse then the club will probably deal.

If you are over budget I would like the option to list to the board the players I'd like to keep and give a proper new contract to and the players I am prepared to cut the budget for. An across the board limit on what you offer players in contract renewals as happens now should be phased out of the game.

200 millions isn't necessary. 3 times his "value" should do, as AI clubs normally refuses to even consider a bid over 133%. If you want to be sure, go to 4 or 5 times the value. To me it seems like the AI's transfer/contract policy is a straight up calculation based on absolutes. If they bid £1m for your player and you want 1 333 333, they'll accept. If you want 1 333 334 or more they'll refuse and they will never ever pay that much no matter how much they need that player. They'll rather play a season without goalkeepers in the squad than exceed that set-in-stone number. And keep their £100m transfer budget to themselves...

The same goes for contract negotiations. If his initial demand is £100k p/w, it doesn't matter if you set your counter-offer to £1 or £76k. If said absolute is 33%, he will want 77 in his 2nd offer. And that is really his final offer in terms of "contract calculation points". If you want the weekly wage to be lower than that, you will need to increase other stuff to compensate until the contract is worth the same amount of points to the player.

Edit: and yes, as said above never respond to transfer speculation in the press. Those are "mind games" sort of answers, all three of them. "Hands off" = make me a big bid - it is the sort of thing you say if you want to drive up the price of the player in question if you think you cannot keep him. "Listen to any offers" = I'll accept all offers - in FM10 his transfer status was actually set to Accept All Offers, I don't know if this is the case also in FM11. The middle option is somewhere in between, but it is also an "advertisement" for your player just like the two others.

If you want to keep your player, don't respond.

this rule isn't always true when agents are involved. the leeches will often accept a lot less than their initial demands as long as they get a big sweetener.

regarding transfers, apart from what has been mentioned above, try to make yourself respected and loved by your team. praise performances over 9.0, criticise performances below 6.0 and show your face for some press conferences. arrange successful tutoring and have your team performing well and players should be keener to stay with you.

of course this is only a small element and when a massive club comes along and offer silly money then this may be ignored but it should ensure similar reputation clubs find it harder to poach your players

I don't have a problem with my chairman selling off my players over my head. Example: My chairman just sold two of my left backs in three seasons. One for £5.75m and the other for £4.8m. Both players were good for me, but only rated at £2.1m and £1.7m respectively. My chairman saw the prices that were offered and concluded we'd never get a better deal than that and accepted. Or at least, that's the way I choose to see it.

this rule isn't always true when agents are involved. the leeches will often accept a lot less than their initial demands as long as they get a big sweetener.

Very true, you can pay a higher agent fee or player signing on bonus and significantly reduce their weekly wage. This is very useful if signing the player to a long contract, as in the long term you're saving money.

Very true, you can pay a higher agent fee or player signing on bonus and significantly reduce their weekly wage. This is very useful if signing the player to a long contract, as in the long term you're saving money.

Yeah the Agent Fee is a part of that "contract value points" calculation, and together with Release Clause it is the most valuable to the players!

Yeah the Agent Fee is a part of that "contract value points" calculation, and together with Release Clause it is the most valuable to the players!

But this shouldn't be happening. Agents have to present all details of negotiations, including fees paid to him by the club, to the player. Now my guess is that not one player would accept lower wages just so their Agent can get a big fee from the club, an Agent he is already paying.

So this workaround, whilst being handy in the game, can only work if the Players think it's OK or the Agent is accepting an illegal payment. Neither is realistic.

Oh! and I hate Agents, they were the dealbreaker for me with FM11. :mad: I hope they are reigned in or there is a way to report them to the appropriate body in FM12.

I usually find it's not just the agents fee you have to raise to get the player to agree to a lower wage, but also the players own signing bonus. As you deal with the agent rather than the player, you have to sweeten the deal for him to. I'm sure there's a certain amount of truth in the real game to this, we see every year the amount of agents fees rising, to me it's part of the game, no matter how seedy it might seem.

The best way to stop your players leaving is simply just "accept all offers" and give the player a value of £0....

Sounds stupid but then it's in your hands. Once the players accepts a contract from the other club, then just delay a week ....then when it comes up again, just reject ....repeat the process probably what 3-5 times a transfer window. It might be boring but a couple clicks and you keep your best players.

Okay, it's unrealistic but it's the best way I have found.

The best way to stop your players leaving is simply just "accept all offers" and give the player a value of £0....

Sounds stupid but then it's in your hands. Once the players accepts a contract from the other club' date=' then just delay a week ....then when it comes up again, just reject ....repeat the process probably what 3-5 times a transfer window. It might be boring but a couple clicks and you keep your best players.

Okay, it's unrealistic but it's the best way I have found.[/quote']

I agree with other posters who feel that setting transfer of £/€0 and either rejecting all offers or accepting and then cancelling is exploitative. Imagine now that Mike Ashley has told Joey Barton that he can go on a free, and a bunch of clubs come were to come in for him, only for Ashley to reject all the offers. You'd end up with a very unhappy player on your hands, and I think this should be the outcome in the game as well.

I always set the asking price on players I do not want to sell to £200 million in the set transfer status, seems to scare off the big teams.

That seems way excessive. I tend to go with the default. When teams put in offers, usually their listed value, I give them a price I'd be willing to sell for. This depends on a lot of factors. If I can't replace him, period, I'm not going to sell a 100K player for 300K. I may quote them 500K. If they bid it my chairman will usually accept anyway. But if he doesn't it's hard to turn down since I try to keep things somewhat realistic.

That seems way excessive. I tend to go with the default. When teams put in offers, usually their listed value, I give them a price I'd be willing to sell for. This depends on a lot of factors. If I can't replace him, period, I'm not going to sell a 100K player for 300K. I may quote them 500K. If they bid it my chairman will usually accept anyway. But if he doesn't it's hard to turn down since I try to keep things somewhat realistic.

That's what the OP wants to avoid.

That's what the OP wants to avoid.

All to his own. I try to keep it a bit realistic. As long as I set reasonable asking prices the chairman won't accept 'stupid' offers, so if he does butt in the price is usually pretty good. That said, it hurts to see how much the striker I had and sold for 600K looks now after 18 months in the Premier League :(

All part of the game, though. But if people want to prevent sales entirely, I suppose setting the asking price on the whole lot to 200m will do the trick.

All part of the game, though.

I don't follow football in that detail, so can anybody provide real world example of this? A key player being sold over the head of the manager out of the blue, without time to prepare a replacement, and the club being in very good financial condition?

Also the offers being accepted by the chairman are not that great. In worst case scenario, I always can sell the player for the same price aftern a year or two (tested it), but with the added benefit of winning more prize money. The board should trust me on that, given my record.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have the most egregious example of a chairman selling a player above the managers head.

We are the richest club in the World.

We are one million pounds a week under the wage budget.

The player is worth 5.25mm the chairman has accepted an offer of 9mm plus clauses.

The player is my first choice left winger.

Left wing is the one area of the squad with little depth.

there is one day till the start of the league.

He accepted an offer years ago but that was a record transfer fee received at the time for a good youngster who was just making substitute appearances. That made some sense this one just feels like really bad coding. Its as if any bid of more then the transfer value has a possibility of being accepted. The amount of money you have probably affects how likely he is to accept and I just got unlucky.

I don't believe this, his just done it again. A striker valued at 9.25mm with two years on his contract he has accepted 22.5mm. I was totally resigned to loosing him but was going to sell him at the end of the season. Now I only have 3 strikers and the left winger who can play up front but who I have no cover for.

I have over 100mm in the bank and his making 100% of the fee available for transfers so whats the point, why the sudden unwanted interference?

Edit to add the chairman had accepted a transfer I had negotiated that happens at the end of the season so its not so bad. Still no reason he should be getting involved at all though.

It's not very often that it does happen thankfully (usually it happens in patches), as annoying as it is as a manager for whom selling important players when not required financially is a rarity, when I am tempted with big offers but unsure it almost helps having the board make my mind up for me, as it provides a financial boost I'd stop us getting otherwise (esp when making big profits on players bought for very little in Africa) and I don't feel bad as it wasn't my decision. Thats only a recent shift in opinion though, is annoying otherwise.

Um, hello - a 22m bid would be accepted by any right minded person! I always sell players if the bid is too good to refuse. I play Adelaide United and if any I get an offer of over 7mil for any player they are gone. What pisses me off is shareholder dividends. I sold two players for roughly 10mil each - was very impressed with myself - and the board paid out over 10mil in shareholder dividend! It sound like the OP maybe pays too much in wages meaning he has a limited number of players on the list at any one time. You can get and develop very good players without paying huge dollars in wages and have adequate cover for all positions. Plus a player worth 22mil should not be playing in a low league. Another rule is the 24yo rule - any really quality players can't be retained in a lower league club past the age of 23-24. A few exceptions but not many I'd suggest. Just make sure you have decent cover for all positions ie a sub winger who plays either side, and youth targetman, fullback and centreback. I always have a decent mid on the bench as well.

When I was managing leeds my b*tch of a chairwoman sold Ganso and Neymar a day apart (to real and barca) for about 140 mill all together. At first I was pissed, as they were my favourite players, but I had fun shopping around for replacements as she let me spend a decent portion of the 140 million war-chest. I think the squad was better without them to be honest, I was able to purchase 4-5 20 million dollar players to replace the brazilian duo.

Um, hello - a 22m bid would be accepted by any right minded person! I always sell players if the bid is too good to refuse. I play Adelaide United and if any I get an offer of over 7mil for any player they are gone. What pisses me off is shareholder dividends. I sold two players for roughly 10mil each - was very impressed with myself - and the board paid out over 10mil in shareholder dividend! It sound like the OP maybe pays too much in wages meaning he has a limited number of players on the list at any one time. You can get and develop very good players without paying huge dollars in wages and have adequate cover for all positions. Plus a player worth 22mil should not be playing in a low league. Another rule is the 24yo rule - any really quality players can't be retained in a lower league club past the age of 23-24. A few exceptions but not many I'd suggest. Just make sure you have decent cover for all positions ie a sub winger who plays either side, and youth targetman, fullback and centreback. I always have a decent mid on the bench as well.

I presume that's aimed at me as I'm the only person to have mentioned a 22million price tag.

I'm not playing in the lower leagues This is the third season in a row I have qualified for the champions league.

We are the richest club in the world.

100% of the transfer fee has been made available for me to spend.

His accepted a bid of 2.4 times the players value hardly a massive overspend. AI teams frequently turn down bids of that size.

The other one was even worse 1.7 times a players value.

There is no logical reason why a chairman would interfere in a managers running of a club when to do so makes no material difference to the financial future of the club, risks upsetting the most successful manager in the clubs history and jeopardises the teams chances of winning anything. The board having stated its ambition that the club win things this season.

My squad composition was just fine before the chairman decided to interfere.

Archived