Would he have retired in real life?

I took over a tycoon controlled Puebla in Mexico they have a very good central defender who has captained the team to winning the last two Copa Libertadores. He captained my side to a win in the North American Champions League. I know season dates are what determines when a player retires but surely someone who has captained a team to huge success in the last three seasons would not retire when there is still a league play-off to play and the team is in the quarter finals of the Libertadores. Do you think this would happen in real life? I think this sort of thing needs to be looked at, I know it is not a hugely important thing but I think it would be much better if he had retired once the team was knocked out of the Libertadores or once the league play-off was finished.

That's madness, why couldn't he have just retired at the end of the season :D And anyway, if you're the captain, still playing first team and a very good CB as you say why would you retire so early? I would understand if he wasn't starting but that's a bit random isn't it, you didn't mention his age though so maybe he's just had enough at his age, even so, very random!

He was 34 so his age obviously played a part but at the time he was having his best season ever average rating wise. I could understand him wanting to retire on a high but surely he could have waited to see if he could lift the Libertadores for the third time in a row.

On another save I had a player retire after the group stages of the World Cup which is just plain crazy.

FM10: Midway through World Cup 2018, managing The Netherlands. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Netherlands all-time top scorer), Johnny Heitinga and Wesley Sneijder (captain) all retire. Heitinga was a sub - the other two key players.

Cue a lot of swearing.

This is a part of international management (along with almost all of the rest of it) that needs improving.

That would be class, your nations top goalkeeper just going home leaving the nation to battle what's left of the world cup without him :D

"Right lads, I'm off, enjoy the rest of this!"

I had david james retire 2 days before the world cup final in FM09.

I had a player retire (think it was Lampard) days before the World Cup Final. I wasn't impressed.
I had my first choice goalie retire on me mid way through the world cup as well, utter madness.
FM10: Midway through World Cup 2018, managing The Netherlands. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Netherlands all-time top scorer), Johnny Heitinga and Wesley Sneijder (captain) all retire. Heitinga was a sub - the other two key players.

Cue a lot of swearing.

This is a part of international management (along with almost all of the rest of it) that needs improving.

They would have made it complete if they also left a message saying "Problem manager?"

Now I'm afraid that Cambiasso retires during the 2014 World Cup knowing that (Well, if he manages to reach the WC in a good condition)

Im starting to feel a bit lucky now with my European Championships. Beckham said he would retire on the 30th June but after we made the final it changed to the 3rd July (or whatever day it was after the final). Lucky aswell cause he came off the bench to get two assists in injury time :-)

Archived