Buying young players from Brazil

Is it a good idea to buy young (15/16) talented players from Brazil  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good idea to buy young (15/16) talented players from Brazil

• Yes
    • No

As many of us know, European teams cannot buy players from Brazil until they turn 18. I was wondering, if my scouting network found a good young player and you buy them at 15/16, will that young player generally continue to develop at his parent club until they turn 18?

Would be nice if you could "discover" some 2nd nationalitys like sir alex did with rafael and fabio.

And yes it's good idea because they are usualy cheaper, can lead to trouble if the league has an EU player quota. Not sure how the work permit would work in the english leagues either

I sign them if they have a good enough personality and Determination. Their attribute distribution also needs to be good enough for them to play well at their club until they leave.

I play in Spain, so they need to be good enough to go on loan and do well the year after they arrive.

So yes, it is a good idea to sign under-18 Brazilians but only if they are quite special.

We all know Brazil produce good players, and if you know what you are looking for and get in there early it can pay dividends.

I spotted this 14 year old AMC/ST, kept an eye on him for a year and then paid £7m for him. Had to wait 3 years for him to join, then loan him to a feeder club for 2 years to get a work permit. So it took 5 years from signing him to finally getting him in the team, but he was worth the wait. First season he was my second choice striker, now at the age of 21 he is my first choice striker, and currently the top scorer in the league. He's got another 10 years of being first-choice, unless I find someone better, which is unlikely.

It's a bit hit and miss, sometimes they develop really well at the brazilian club and get lots of games, some times they dont. If you're a big club with massive reputation and money, it could be a plan to wait until the other clubs become interested and bid for the player, and then go for him, if you offer enough money and have a good enough reputation 9/10 you'll still get him, and you'll have more of an idea of if he's developing well.

I have in the past bought quite a few young brazilians and by and large, they have not developed very much by the time they come to my club. I now prefer to wait a few years, see how they develop and then pay a bit more for one good player rather than the same amount on three or four average ones.

I have in the past bought quite a few young brazilians and by and large, they have not developed very much by the time they come to my club. I now prefer to wait a few years, see how they develop and then pay a bit more for one good player rather than the same amount on three or four average ones.

Same here. Now I only buy them early if they have high potential, aren't miles away from their potential in terms of current ability, and are really cheap.

If I can't get the lad immediately I usually won't sign a youngster. There have been too many times that I have signed 15 year olds from non-EU nations and then have them rarely develop in the years before they finally join me.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, I just think that the lad should have be playing regularly for his club and should have high determination etc.

It is good idea but only if his personality is good enough (professional, fairly professional, resolute,...) and attribute distribution is fine. But like many earlier replies suggest it is hit and miss. You never know when it's really worthy and it's a long process to develop player.

Archived