So you've taken over a new team...

Do you make them play to your preferred formation, plugging weaknesses until recruits are brought in or do you adapt, playing to the squads strengths?

I recently took over Bayern Munich, who had some very, very good regen inside forwards. I used a 4-2-3-1 formation in which was the first time I had used wingers in a long time. Still feels very odd but I'm doing quite well.

For me, definitely adapt and play to the squads strengths. If you have a preferred formation you can always plan and move to it over a period of time.

If the squad had a “stand out” player or two I’ll build around that.

I'll pick the best formation for players initially. While also having a look to see if I could bring in enough players of the right quality to play my preferred formation. If I can, I'll buy them and change. If not, I'll concentrate on strengthening the team in the formation I've got them in.

Gradually change it over time.

Depends when I take over the team. If it's mid-season, I try not to rock the boat too much and just try and get the team performing in whatever formation they're used to. If it's a new season, I'll instil my way of playing and my formation straight away, and then bring in the players I need to make it work.

I always tend to stamp my own mark on a side as soon as I can, irrespective of the club I'm at. The first team, reserves and youth team, will all play to my preferred style and tactics.

I'm exactly the same. I'll even sell world class players if they play in positions I don't utilise.

Guest nik1313

after 2 years in manager career,summer 2012, i accepted an offer from manu (premier champions,uefa champions league runner-up,europaleague champions 2011,reserves and under18 champions.4th richest in the world,170m euros transfer budget etc). i rejected fc bayern just before.i have a smile while watching the monitor:)

first i will act as my scouts and staff say(maybe buy bale or aguero).

actually my 3 saved formations in fm2011 are 4-4-2,4-2-3-1d,4-5-1 so i guess there will be no problem for existing players to fit in my tactics.

I always tend to stamp my own mark on a side as soon as I can, irrespective of the club I'm at. The first team, reserves and youth team, will all play to my preferred style and tactics.

Is that the downloaded tactic you have - ha ha - only joking :)

For me, definitely adapt and play to the squads strengths. If you have a preferred formation you can always plan and move to it over a period of time.

If the squad had a “stand out” player or two I’ll build around that.

This! It will give the game more versatility (spelling?), not the same formations every time and not bringing in the same players every time. Of course you don't if you pick lower teams etc, but I think it's fun to learn new ways to play and have the team squad as foundation so I might not have to buy as many players and therefore save som cash so I can give my FM-wife a new gold watch ;)

I always set out my formation regardless of which players are there. Get rid of the dead wood and use the money to buy/loan players that will fit into the formation i demand. Sack backroom staff and get ones in with 16-20 for discipline! Don't want no whiners. You either do as i say or get gone!

(Love discipline 16-20! Just like the idea of having a strict regime at the club - no whingers, out the door straight away!)

I also try to get players with high determination and workrate throughout the formation.

I normally adapt to the current players then bring in players I want to fit into my 4-3-3. Tbh most players can be retrained to play in an attacking 4-3-3 so it works well. Main set back is when a team has 3-4+ world class strikers, so a few would need to become inside forwards in order to get a game.

However, I find it hard to manage other teams than my favourite club.

I read about doing that a long time ago in order for your players to be able to instantly fit into the first team when they get called up. I only do this for the reserves has my youth team aren't great.

Granted I've only played a short time (and always low level teams) but below is my standard operating procedure when moving to a club:

1: Look at the coaching staff and figure out who should go and replace them

2: Release players that are old and those with poor determination

3: Replace said poo poo players

4: Change tactics to a 4-4-2 and build up "team blend"

I never make revolution when I take over a team. I look at the team's strengths and try to build a tactic accordingly.

Sometimes a little revolution makes a poor team better

Tends to depend on when I take over a club. If it's during the summer (or whenever the break is for other places), I'll try to get them playing in my way immediately. If it's mid-season, I'll tend to use what I have and play to their strengths until I get to the summer when I can begin building my own team, particularly if there's pressure on me to do well.

I use the best possible formation with the players I currently have, then I'll sign players more suited to my usual direct style.

But there's no point in fielding e.g. a 4-2-3-1 with players out of position and out of their depth... If a plain old 4-4-2 is the least awful formation I can use, so be it.

Archived