Tactic familiarity (how does it actually work behind the scenes)

Ok I am managing Peterborough in league 1 and decided to see what the difference would be between using my tactic with all the tactic familiarity bars (match prep screen) set to 0 using an editor and then set at fully filled so I decided to play 3 games starting with a tough cup tie against Hull from the division above, all match conditions where exactly the same for both set ups. This is what happened.

Hull (h) won 4-2 in extra time 14 shots to 16. (all bars fully fluid)

Hull (h) won 6-2 in normal time 22 shots to 9 (all bars set at 0)

Exeter (h) won 4-0 17 shots to 6 (all full)

Exeter (h) won 8-2 21 shots to 3 (all at 0)

L.Orient (a) won 2-1 12 shots to 8 (all full)

L.Orient (a) won 4-1 16 shots to 6 (all at 0)

Now before anyone says well how can you expect better than that when its fully fluid, thats not what I want, the results are fine when fully fluid but the thing that confuses me is why the results are so good when all the bars are set to 0.

So what I want to know is how exactly does the tactic familiarity directly impact the matches that you play. Dont say it makes your team better as thats not what Im after, I want to know what it is supposed to effect in the coding because from these 3 games it doesnt seem to be any hinderence at all if the tactic isnt fluid. Anyone from SI reading this who would like to shed some light on how this works would be welcome :)

Still loving this game by the way, this isnt a complaint.

Giving this a bump. Really curious.

Would love SI to explain how it works because I have just done the same test with Sunderland and same thing happened, played 4 games this time and all but 1 of the results where actually better or the same as when the bars where all full up. Watched the games and my team seemed like they played the same. I have a slow tempo and short passing, and they pass well and keep posession well even if not familier with the style. The team blending seems to play a more important part than tactical familiarity from my tests.

I know its prob the wrong way to play but when I play FM I treat it as a computer program rather than using footballing ethics so I am always very interested in how these things actually work and effect the match in progress. Come on SI let us know what it effects, player stats, teamwork or what??

Archived