extension clause after [x] games

here's what happened to me: i have a player with my team who has that extension clause in his contract (after 15 league games). he is in his last year of his contract, got an offer from another club for the next season and signed it. BUT the clause will be put into effect once he has played four more league games. my question is: will he stay with my team for the next season? what will happen to the contract he has signed with the other team?

somebody surely must have been in a similar situation before? i don't wanna go on with the game until i know how to react because i don't wanna lose that player for nothing.

I would assume the new contract with the other club would still be valid, but that's just a guess really. Maybe you're the one that has to put it to the test. I've never run into this.

so i went on vaccation till the clause came into effect. the outcome: the contract has been extended, but it still says that he will transfer to that other club for the new season. i don't know if this is a bug or if it is supposed to be like that. actually, i don't know how it would be if such a thing would occur in real life. it would be appreciated if someine from si could give a comment on that.

correct me if i am wrong or just misunderstanding. But isnt the clause up to him? Like if he plays x amount of games HE can then automatically extend the contract if he wants for another year? Surely it would be his choice to stay or talk to another club?

i don't think so. as far as i understand it the contract automatically extends by one year once the player has played the number of league games that are stated in the contract. also, if the player has signed a contract with another team, why would he make use of the clause? because that's what happend in my case (player signed with different team, played 15 games, contract got extended by one more year).

i don't think so. as far as i understand it the contract automatically extends by one year once the player has played the number of league games that are stated in the contract. also, if the player has signed a contract with another team, why would he make use of the clause? because that's what happend in my case (player signed with different team, played 15 games, contract got extended by one more year).

im sure this is incorrect, im almost positive that he has the option to extend if he playes x amount of games, not that it just automatically extends.

no, because when there is only one game left for the clause to come into effect, you receive a message that reads that with the next league match the contract will be extended by one year (something along those lines, i'm playing with a german language file). i'm 100% sure this is not an option, but a binding clause once the requirements of x league games have been fullfilled.

on a second thought: with the way the clause is dealt with right now (see my first posts), it's pretty much useless to choose 20 or more games for the clause to come into effect. it's highly unlikely that a player will have played more than 17 league games (at least in the german league) before the last six months of his contract aka the moment he is aloud to negotiate with other clubs about a free transfer. i definitely believe that this is either a bug or a feature that has not been implemented perfectly.

im sure this is incorrect, im almost positive that he has the option to extend if he playes x amount of games, not that it just automatically extends.

I've been using this contract clause a lot and every time the clause is fulfilled the contract is automatically extended by one year.

I normally set the clause to 5 or 10 games so other clubs don't get the possibility to negotiate with the player.

Is it any different to a player being sold when he still has excess years on his contract? I would assume the clause would become null and void as his contract with your team will at the end of the season. It's not like it's going to magically cancel the arranged transfer.

i don't get your point. the clause is only of relevance for the last year of a player's contract. but with a player being able to sign for a free transfer anyway, it's bascically useless in the last six months of a contract.

perhaps you should have offered him an extension at the same time as the other club offered him a contract and left it up to him to decide where he wanted to be next season...

I'm interested in what happens at the end of the season though :)

no, because when there is only one game left for the clause to come into effect, you receive a message that reads that with the next league match the contract will be extended by one year (something along those lines, i'm playing with a german language file). i'm 100% sure this is not an option, but a binding clause once the requirements of x league games have been fullfilled.

on a second thought: with the way the clause is dealt with right now (see my first posts), it's pretty much useless to choose 20 or more games for the clause to come into effect. it's highly unlikely that a player will have played more than 17 league games (at least in the german league) before the last six months of his contract aka the moment he is aloud to negotiate with other clubs about a free transfer. i definitely believe that this is either a bug or a feature that has not been implemented perfectly.

sorry you are misunderstanding me i think. Just because a player has this in his contract doesnt mean he has to wait take the option. That is why he signed with another club in the OP's case and the clause didnt take effect. I think it appears to be 'automatic' in fm but i dont think it is, this clause doesnt tie the palyer to club just because he played 20 games, he is free to sign for another club at any time (if his contract is expiring) before this clause comes into play, if he has signed for someone else, he wont then move a year later if he hits 20 games after he has signed the new contract, as in the OP's example. It will only extend his deal until the start date of the new contract, its much like a young player who has signed for your time but not moving for 2 seasons (usually south american) and signing a new deal befor he joins.

sorry you are misunderstanding me i think. Just because a player has this in his contract doesnt mean he has to wait take the option. That is why he signed with another club in the OP's case and the clause didnt take effect. I think it appears to be 'automatic' in fm but i dont think it is, this clause doesnt tie the palyer to club just because he played 20 games, he is free to sign for another club at any time (if his contract is expiring) before this clause comes into play, if he has signed for someone else, he wont then move a year later if he hits 20 games after he has signed the new contract, as in the OP's example. It will only extend his deal until the start date of the new contract, its much like a young player who has signed for your time but not moving for 2 seasons (usually south american) and signing a new deal befor he joins.

sorry dude, that's exactly the way it works, even in real life. if there is such a clause to a contract, there's nothing a player can do about it. once he hits the number for an extension, he is tied with the club for one more season. doesn't matter if he likes it or not. this is not about having an option. that's what contracts are done for. there are of course different variations in real life where this is a payers or clubs option. but that's not what we are talking about here.

sorry dude, that's exactly the way it works, even in real life. if there is such a clause to a contract, there's nothing a player can do about it. once he hits the number for an extension, he is tied with the club for one more season. doesn't matter if he likes it or not. this is not about having an option. that's what contracts are done for. there are of course different variations in real life where this is a payers or clubs option. but that's not what we are talking about here.

I am saying that the player agreed to move away for free BEFORE he hit the set number of games, this means that this clause is then null and void and just because he has now played that number doesnt mean he will join the new team a year later!

read the whole post before taking a few words out of it and saying that its incorrect.

I am saying that the player agreed to move away for free BEFORE he hit the set number of games, this means that this clause is then null and void and just because he has now played that number doesnt mean he will join the new team a year later!

read the whole post before taking a few words out of it and saying that its incorrect.

I get your point aussieant that since his contract had less than 6 months to run, he was free to talk around, but surely since his prior commitment was to agree to extend his contract by a year after playing 20 games, surely his first commitment must be of higher priority.

My experience with the game was that after playing the set number of games, the contract automatically extends regardless of whether or not the player wants to.

I nearly had this situation, but I managed to trigger the clause JUST before the player had agreed terms with anyone else (but had been talking to them). In my case, interest and contract offers to him suddenly disappeared.

To OP, I would try continuing. I think the 'right' solution would be that when you trip the clause, it cancels the future transfer because that contract was signed on the belief that his contract with you would end.

well, that particular part was incorrect.

anyway, the clause would be worth nothing in the last six months of an expiring contract. and that's my point. why would you want to put a clause in someones contract that requires him to play 30 games to get that clause come into effect with the given fact that he can just sign with a different team once he hits the last six months of his contract? that's stupid. i'm totally with tom_15390 here.

I get your point aussieant that since his contract had less than 6 months to run, he was free to talk around, but surely since his prior commitment was to agree to extend his contract by a year after playing 20 games, surely his first commitment must be of higher priority.

My experience with the game was that after playing the set number of games, the contract automatically extends regardless of whether or not the player wants to.

I nearly had this situation, but I managed to trigger the clause JUST before the player had agreed terms with anyone else (but had been talking to them). In my case, interest and contract offers to him suddenly disappeared.

To OP, I would try continuing. I think the 'right' solution would be that when you trip the clause, it cancels the future transfer because that contract was signed on the belief that his contract with you would end.

I would agree with you, his initial commitments would have to come first, if he had agreed to a contract like that he would have to discuss the situation with the club before agreeing terms with another club, otherwise he would be in breach of contract. Its not always for the players benefit at the end of the day.

yer i've had this happen with matthew booth( great experienced & cheap, CB for a championship side) in a forest save.. to clear the discussion up.. in the game this clause is of benefit to the club not the player.. the player has already agreed to extend his contract by 12 months on completion of x amount of games, when he accepted the contract you the manager offered.. never did actually find out what happened though as i left my table topping Forest for the challenge of keeping Blackburn in the premiership.. would like to know if you decide to holiday to the end of the season.. although dont make a mistake i did once and leave the auto save feature enabled..

so what is being said is that if the player has this clause he cannot talk to a club (once the league rules allow it with an expiring contract) at all until the day his contract expires, even if he hasnt played the number of games needed to extend his contract?

I just dont see that being right..

no aussie you've mis-understood.. what is being said in this thread is that the problem with FM is that it overlaps with a player's right to a bosman transfer, and they agree a deal with another club while technically the players current club still has the contractual right to unilateraly decide when the players contract ends once the number of required appearance's has been met.. whether thats in 6 months or 18 months by leaving or activating the clause as they see fit..

test it yourself.. offer one of your youth players a one year deal, if he's rubbish just put him on in the last minutes of the game for the required number of matches and watch his contract get a 12 month addition automatically.. now imagine he's agreed to go to another club in 6 months..

this issue could possibly be cleared up in future versions of the game by allowing the club to unilaterally extend the contract in the pre-season of the players final year (provided enough appearances were accrued in the previous season,) rather than being based on the players apperances in the last season of his contract.. and listing it in the "clauses" screen.

all this being said though i might run a test of it tomorrow by setting the players relationship to myself to disliked an seeing if it still automatically adds the further 12 months to the contract.. i mean i cant see him "deciding" to extend it if he doesnt like my management..

no aussie you've mis-understood.. what is being said in this thread is that the problem with FM is that it overlaps with a player's right to a bosman transfer, and they agree a deal with another club while technically the players current club still has the contractual right to unilateraly decide when the players contract ends once the number of required appearance's has been met.. whether thats in 6 months or 18 months by leaving or activating the clause as they see fit..

test it yourself.. offer one of your youth players a one year deal, if he's rubbish just put him on in the last minutes of the game for the required number of matches and watch his contract get a 12 month addition automatically.. now imagine he's agreed to go to another club in 6 months..

this issue could possibly be cleared up in future versions of the game by allowing the club to unilaterally extend the contract in the pre-season of the players final year (provided enough appearances were accrued in the previous season,) rather than being based on the players apperances in the last season of his contract.. and listing it in the "clauses" screen.

all this being said though i might run a test of it tomorrow by setting the players relationship to myself to disliked an seeing if it still automatically adds the further 12 months to the contract.. i mean i cant see him "deciding" to extend it if he doesnt like my management..

i am obviously jsut being thick but this still makes no sense. If his contract gets to the point where he can leave on a bosman having NOT played the minimum number of games, surely he can leave? What you seem to be saying is this.

"Player x has 3 months left on his deal, he has a clause that if he playes 20 games it will extend by a season but at this point in time he has only played 11. No club can approach him to sign on a bosman until the end of the season just in case he plays 9 more games."

"Player x has 3 months left on his deal, he has a clause that if he playes 20 games it will extend by a season but at this point in time he has only played 11. No club can approach him to sign on a bosman until the end of the season just in case he plays 9 more games."

Basically, yes. He has an obligation to the club he is currently playing for, what i would imagine would happen in real life is the player could discuss the situation with his current club and if both parties agreed that clause could be wavered. But the player and club would have to honor the deal if neither agreed to terminate it.

Basically, yes. He has an obligation to the club he is currently playing for, what i would imagine would happen in real life is the player could discuss the situation with his current club and if both parties agreed that clause could be wavered. But the player and club would have to honor the deal if neither agreed to terminate it.

ok i kind of see what you are saying now. I was looking at it as more of a real world scenario not an fm one, which is stupid considering its an FM forum! Thank you for explaining, this would be a great feature to have added into player interaction no? :)

ok i kind of see what you are saying now. I was looking at it as more of a real world scenario not an fm one, which is stupid considering its an FM forum! Thank you for explaining, this would be a great feature to have added into player interaction no? :)

Yeah definitely, personally i think its either an oversight from SI or just something they are yet to add, its not a situation you are likely to come across very often.

Archived