My new "beast" machine!

For sooo many years I've wanted to play all the leagues/nations while keeping game speed/performance - and this year (hopefully) it'll become a reality!

CPU Intel Core i7 980 GULFTOWN (6 x 3.33 GHz) 12 MB

CPU Heatsink Corsair Hydro Series H80 (Advanced Liquid Cooling)

Memory Corsair 24GB (6x4GB) XMS3 1333MHz - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)

Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 6970 - 2 GB (Gigabyte) (PCI-E)

Motherboard Asus Rampage III Black Edition (Intel X58)

Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD (PCI-E)

Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)

Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro

Hard Drive #1 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-III Western Digital (WD1002FAEX) - 64 MB - Caviar Black

Hard Drive #2 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-III Western Digital (WD1002FAEX) - 64 MB - Caviar Black

RAID RAID 0 (Stripe)

Optical Drive #1 LG (BH10LS30) 10x Blu-Ray Re-Writer/Reader & 16x Dual Layer DVD +/-RW Writer - Black (SATA)

Optical Drive #2 LG (BH10LS30) 10x Blu-Ray Re-Writer/Reader & 16x Dual Layer DVD +/-RW Writer - Black (SATA)

Card Reader Internal Card Reader 50-in-1

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

Anyone else getting a new pc in time for FM12?

I'm surprised not to see an SSD on this list. I'd definitely suggest you check one out, will make the PC load up marginally faster. (I have 3 of 'em on my gaming rig.)

Definitely try to get the Vertex 3 Max IOPS Edition. There is a little risk in purchasing it, as some of them come bad, but mine came fine and I purchased it when it was first released. It's the fastest SSD out there too. If you're going to get a PC of that quality, please, please get an SSD.

If you didn't buy it yet, stop!

That CPU is a total waste of money and I suggest you to buy new generation SandyBridge CPU.

Other things to consider:

* 24GB RAM: Unnecessary but if you want your ePeen bigger than others its fine ;) I am using 12GB right now with all the leagues loaded smooth as silk.

* Sound card: If you are not an audiophile, on-board sound chip will do just fine.

If you didn't buy it yet, stop!

That CPU is a total waste of money and I suggest you to buy new generation SandyBridge CPU.

Other things to consider:

* 24GB RAM: Unnecessary but if you want your ePeen bigger than others its fine ;) I am using 12GB right now with all the leagues loaded smooth as silk.

* Sound card: If you are not an audiophile, on-board sound chip will do just fine.

I agree with all of this 100%. I suggest an Xonar DX for a sound card. And now that I look again, I'd suggest you get RAM at 1600, not 1333. I'd suggest G.Skill Snipers or Ripjaws.

Haha, firstly - I'm a Video/Sound editor, hence the large RAM and fairly expensive sound card, and I ordered the system thismorning!

As far as the CPU is concerned, I had a look after reading what you said and SandyBridge don't do a 6 core CPU. Plus once I've got it and overclocked it it'll be running as fast as the fastest SandyBridge (3.4GHz+) and it'll have 2 cores more..

I would've loved A SSD, however in terms of space/price ratio, one of those is waaaay too expensive.. a 250GB SSD can cost upwards of £400, and considering 2TB cost me £65... haha!

To answer MattyBoy it cost just over £2,800.. but when you consider it's for work aswell I consider it an investment! (Although I can't see much work being done once FM12 comes out haha!)

alternatively you could just get a AMD FX-8170P 8 core Bulldozer (runs at 4.7GHZ!!!) for half the price when they're released next month... not to mention the Bulldozer is going to **** all over the i7.

Maybe, maybe not. There are no reviews, previews or even credible leaks anywhere. Realistically speaking im hoping for something that rivals the sandy bridge processors or my next computer is again going to be an intel.

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/23381-bulldozer-performance-figures-are-in

The FX-8130P Bulldozer is 50% faster than a Thuban 6 core Phenom 2 and is faster than Sandy Bridge in every test. The only thing that comes close to the engineering sample Bulldozer is an i7 990. However you must remember that AMD chips are pretty much half the price of an 'equivilent Intel' AND it was only an engineering sample so it's not even the finished product! nor did they test the top of the range model either, they only tested the FX-8130P which is the middle of the range!!

To me that looks like you've simply gone on a custom PC site and selected the most expensive options they have for each component.

Also, if you're planning on buying that then for the love of god build it yourself. With a system that expensive you will end up saving close to £1000 if you build it yourself compared to what it would cost if you get it built for you.

Haha, firstly - I'm a Video/Sound editor, hence the large RAM and fairly expensive sound card, and I ordered the system thismorning!

As far as the CPU is concerned, I had a look after reading what you said and SandyBridge don't do a 6 core CPU. Plus once I've got it and overclocked it it'll be running as fast as the fastest SandyBridge (3.4GHz+) and it'll have 2 cores more..

I would've loved A SSD, however in terms of space/price ratio, one of those is waaaay too expensive.. a 250GB SSD can cost upwards of £400, and considering 2TB cost me £65... haha!

To answer MattyBoy it cost just over £2,800.. but when you consider it's for work aswell I consider it an investment! (Although I can't see much work being done once FM12 comes out haha!)

Check this benchmark while waiting your monster:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/142?vs=287

Difference? i7 2600K beats 6 core i7 980 in most of the tests and costs 1/3...

Investment?

Check this out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115223

It says: DEACTIVATED, means there is no future for this chip anymore.

Plus, i7 2600K is running cooler, using less power, OC better than 980X and comes with a decent stock HSU which can easily handle 4.0GHz w/o any problem.

Anyway, you already ordered so, congratulations and have fun...

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/23381-bulldozer-performance-figures-are-in

The FX-8130P Bulldozer is 50% faster than a Thuban 6 core Phenom 2 and is faster than Sandy Bridge in every test. The only thing that comes close to the engineering sample Bulldozer is an i7 990. However you must remember that AMD chips are pretty much half the price of an 'equivilent Intel' AND it was only an engineering sample so it's not even the finished product! nor did they test the top of the range model either, they only tested the FX-8130P which is the middle of the range!!

Editor's note: The original source of the information that Donanim Haber published this week on the alleged AMD Bulldozer engineering sample has admitted that the information was faked. Many sites were fooled by this information, including Ars, particularly because the results were plausible and fit the information we had about Bulldozer so far. Editor Emeritus Jon Stokes vetted our analysis, also believing the information to be true. Bulldozer CPUs are expected to be released in the next couple months, so we should have real results we can look at soon. However, we stand by our analysis, namely that Bulldozer will need to mainly compete on price and not raw performance.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/07/bulldozer-prototype-suggests-amd-shooting-for-sandy-bridge-performance.ars

Although AMD and Intel have different definitions of a "core", Bulldozer still has higher thread throughput than Sandy Bridge - if it doesn't win at SuperPI, I'd be wary (if it doesn't beat Sandy Bridge in other benchmarks, that's fine - they're designed differently), anyway.

There is nothing out there that shows Bulldozer's performance to any degree - just engineering examples, which can change quite dramatically compared with the final product.

The CPU speed is relatively meaningless, though. In workloads that are not that threaded, an overclocked Sandy Bridge can leave the 980X in the dust, because Sandy Bridge can be overclocked so easily (5 GHz on air is apparently attainable in some circumstances...). It's really just the extra two cores that are awesome - which Sandy Bridge, even overclocked, can't touch.

If value concerns you, why did you get a 980X? :D

I'm planning a new PC although not specific for FM. I'm waiting to see what Bulldozer can do, and if it isn't great value for money, I'll probably get the 2600K (the LGA 2011 processors released Q4 this year have planned TDPs of 130 W - too much for me). I'm going to get 8 GB of RAM, SSD and probably a single Radeon 6950 to go with it (or whatever the nicest value-for-money video card is available in a few months time).

You don't even need one of 250GB.. Buy one with something like 64GB, more than enough. Will cost you around £100 I suppose, and when you're spending £2,800 on that pc already, who cares about the extra £100 anyway? :p

Check this benchmark while waiting your monster:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/142?vs=287

Difference? i7 2600K beats 6 core i7 980 in most of the tests and costs 1/3...

Investment?

Check this out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115223

It says: DEACTIVATED, means there is no future for this chip anymore.

Plus, i7 2600K is running cooler, using less power, OC better than 980X and comes with a decent stock HSU which can easily handle 4.0GHz w/o any problem.

Anyway, you already ordered so, congratulations and have fun...

In the benchmarks that matter for the OP (video encoding, editing, etc.), these are highly-threaded workloads that Sandy Bridge can't touch yet, simply because it doesn't have enough cores.

In the benchmarks that matter for the OP (video encoding, editing, etc.), these are highly-threaded workloads that Sandy Bridge can't touch yet, simply because it doesn't have enough cores.

You sound like i7 2600K cannot do encoding at all.

Yeah 980X has better results in multi-threaded video encoding etc. by what? 10 percent? For triple the price? Really?

Besides, Ivy Bridge is coming out soon with up to 8 cores, probably will cost half of 980X and perform 10 times better.

Not a good investment at all.

You sound like i7 2600K cannot do encoding at all.

Yeah 980X has better results in multi-threaded video encoding etc. by what? 10 percent? For triple the price? Really?

Besides, Ivy Bridge is coming out soon with up to 8 cores, probably will cost half of 980X and perform 10 times better.

Not a good investment at all.

10% is a lot compared with what Sandy Bridge can do, to be honest. And the Cinebench multi-threaded test, the most relevant one, is around ~20% quicker.

10 times is clearly an exaggeration - Intel is looking at 20% improved performance over Sandy Bridge for Ivy Bridge.

For most people, the 2600K will be better value for money - but we all don't think like "most people". For some, the hexa-core PC is "better" - and video encoding and creation is one area where you'd consider seriously.

No SSD and only one GPU?

Getting a bit soft there. Too bad FM is a 32 bit process as well, sadly, noone is going to run all nations at a reasonable speeds for a while, but it's geting there.

Archived