+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Learn the langauage

Amateur

Default Learn the langauage

I’m manager of Lincoln City and have a French goalkeeper who only speaks French. My question is, do players ever learn the langauage of the country they are playing in?

Semi Pro

It depends. Usually, they will pick up at least some of the language (basic) if not become totally fluent, but sometimes you get players who, for one reason or other, never bother to lean. My guess is that it depends on mental and hidden stats - things like determination, professionalism etc, but I can't say for sure.

Amateur

Ok, thanks for that. I'll just have towait and see. How long do the players normally take to pick up the basic langauge?

Amateur

think it depends on adaptability like for me Kevin Gameiro took over a season and a half to learn english

it all depends on adaptability stat and a few others i guess like professionalism etc basically stats you're not meant to see.

Amateur

Some learn it very quickly. I did have a Brazilian player on loan in Belgium for a work permit, he didn't learn the language in 5 years so I could never get that darned work permit.

Amateur

I've always wondered... In this case, would it help to have another player in the squad that is already speaking both English AND French? Would the goalkeeper to learn English quicker that way?

Part-Timer

I'm reasonably sure they will learn it quicker if there is someone who already speaks the language. It's all part of the settling in process and you will often get press conference questions along the lines of 'You have Player X in your squad who already speaks French, will this help Player Y blend into the team?'

Amateur

When I was a manager of Racing Club, I brought Vladimir Yurchenko from Belarus as a free agent...and I though that a player that speaks russian was going to have a hard time learning spanish. But no, he learned spanish normally and he was a great addition to the team too.

Third Team

Some of my players are very quick to learn a language, and then some take like 2 years to learn it

Amateur

It took Ganso about 2 years to learn Basic Italian, the adaptability stat must be pretty low for him

Amateur

It's about their adaptability.

A feature for future versions should be to add languages which you speak in real life to the game from the start. It could aid players in adapting.

Semi Pro

Everyone would suddenly become multilinguists.

+ Reply to Thread