any experiences about Euro microstates clubs win Champions League ?

I managed to get HB from the Faroe Isle (downloaded league) to the final play off game for the Champions League. Managed to beat Ferencvaros and Rapid Vienna on my way but was eventually hammered by Celtic.

I managed to get HB from the Faroe Isle (downloaded league) to the final play off game for the Champions League. Managed to beat Ferencvaros and Rapid Vienna on my way but was eventually hammered by Celtic.

I got to the Quarter Finals twice with HB and 8-9 times to the group stage. If I had played on for 10+ more years I think I would have won CL eventually.. Although it is a small nation it is possible to build an amazing team! I didnt lose a single league game for like 5-6 seasons and 80 won in a row :D - my cheapest player probably got a wage similar to the combined wages for all other players in the league :D

Not really the same, is it?

We went back to back Champions League finals. We lost one of them on penalties. We were on our way to a 3rd consecutive appearance when my save crashed.

Yes, it isn't Andorra/San Marino/Estonia but I wouldn't call Ukrainian football one of the best in the world either atm.

No doubt it is a good achievment. But it wouldnt be that 'fantastical' if Shaktar won the CL. Didnt they win the UEFA Cup recently? I think the Soviet sides have improved a hell of alot over the last 5/10 years.

Deffo in the top 10 leagues in Europe.

No doubt it is a good achievment. But it wouldnt be that 'fantastical' if Shaktar won the CL. Didnt they win the UEFA Cup recently? I think the Soviet sides have improved a hell of alot over the last 5/10 years.

Deffo in the top 10 leagues in Europe.

Yes they did win recently. If you play long enough, maybe you can make some progress with a team from Iceland. Someone in Careers Forum did win the Champions League with a San Marino club, and some have solid progress from Icelandic clubs, but not with an around the world setup where most of the leagues are playable (I think). The more higher rep leagues you choose in the beginning the harder it is. It's realistic to say though with a world setup (I load all leagues except a few South American ones) that Shakhtar/Zenit/CSKA Moscow are due to make some real progress in the Champions League.

It's more the money than anything with Shakhtar I played as them on FM10 and you could sign some top quality players. Still getting to the Champions League final or winning it with a team outside England, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal or Germany is a good achievement.

But the only way to eventually advance in European competitions with clubs from micronations is to turn the local club into an multinational, soulless group of players...

By the time you can attract players good enough to reach CL Group Stage with, say, B68 or Tre Penne, even the best local player would barely be backup material...

And that, to me, pretty much defies the point of managing in a smaller nation...

If I can't achieve relative success with at least some local players, why should I care about a club that'll just represent the nation in name only?

But the only way to eventually advance in European competitions with clubs from micronations is to turn the local club into an multinational, soulless group of players...

By the time you can attract players good enough to reach CL Group Stage with, say, B68 or Tre Penne, even the best local player would barely be backup material...

And that, to me, pretty much defies the point of managing in a smaller nation...

If I can't achieve relative success with at least some local players, why should I care about a club that'll just represent the nation in name only?

Totally agree on this.. In my HB game I had 25 foreigners (ca 20 from africa) in my first team after 3 seasons.. Then I started to use my youngster alot more and set up better training for youth and such.. but the potential just isnt there..

I've posted on another thread about the quality of regens in small clubs.. As I posted there I find it frustrating that even after investing £15m+ into the youth academy and training facilities I still cannot get a young faroese newgen with potential enough to become "ok".. it might be realistic, but i think I should be able to get better players with so much money invested and the league standard and club being so much better than in season 1..

I believe its "impossible" to get good enough newgens in micronation to be able to use them in a CL-winning team.. and thats realistic enough IMO.. so you have to decide.. win trophies OR use local players.. cant have your cake and eat it too (sadly..)

QUOTE]

Is there a specific setting for that?

I've posted on another thread about the quality of regens in small clubs.. As I posted there I find it frustrating that even after investing £15m+ into the youth academy and training facilities I still cannot get a young faroese newgen with potential enough to become "ok".. it might be realistic, but i think I should be able to get better players with so much money invested and the league standard and club being so much better than in season 1..

To some extent it's realistic though...

You can bring your average Jógvans to La Masia, but they would hardly turn into quality players if the quality isn't there...

Maybe after a decade or so with good academy and competent coaches the new generation of youth players would get better (marginally better?), as they would have grown up in a different football environment...

I don't really know if I'm talking about in-game or real world here, but I think it could apply to both...

Still, in the end, even a widely improved league doesn't mean you can squeeze blood out of a turnip, so for all the improved facilities, professional approach etc, young players from smaller nations will never become top league material on a regular basis... You'd get the odd Superstar, but he'll be the exception to the rule.

Is there a specific setting for that?

No... ;)

It's just a matter of rummaging the transfer market for decent players willing to play in a dreadful league...

Archived