Please SI, I beg theee sort out the transfer / offers in the window.

I dont know if this happens with big teams as I dont play with them, but I really get annoyed during each transfer window with clubs and the utter stupidity of their bids.

Example.

I am a mid-table, sometimes top half team in the English Premier League, I have a very good prospect (D/WB-R) Manchester City make a bid.

They bid 2.5 million

I laugh in their faces ( Mwuhahahahaha )

They come back with a 4 million bid.

I laugh once again!

A month pass's

Manchester City bid again, and guess what.

Its 2.2 Million!

By this point, I am no longer laughing, I just find myself wondering why they think I turned down 4 million and will now accept 2.2 million

The player is happy at the club, in the time between this I have extended his contract (because EVERY $*£"%)("£*%(£$ TIME! I refused a bid his agent started moaning, and I mean EVERY TIME!), he is happy, he has not been unsettled, but for some reason Man City (and its not just them, just them this time) they think I will accept 1.8million less ?

I have vision of Manchester United offering Blackburn 16million for Jones, and them coming back 4 weeks later and saying "Well seems as you refused 16mill, how does 10million sound?"

Did you follow this guide ?

2008-07-04.jpg

http://www.studs-up.com/2008/07/and-the-gareth-barry-negotiations-continue/

do you set transfer values for your players in the transfer screen so clubs know what kind of prices you would be looking for, rather than them guessing all the time?

No I dont, on the basis that I generally dont want to sell players that I have bought etc...

I would set it to automatically refuse bids, but lets say for example I got a bid of 15million for this player, I wouldhave to seriously consider it, but I dont want to have to set an ammount for each player when as a general rule of thumb I dont want to sell them.

Its not so much the AI bidding, thats fine, thats life, its the fact that they seems to forget thta I recently refused a bid from them for a higher amount etc...

guessing.... they must be awful at guessing since their 4 mil bid was rejected and guess again at 2.2

but yeah, it's possibly only awful AI. should check the transfer screen status and set it to no instruction. that's why you need competition to excel. damn you EA.

im not saying it works perfect at all, its just setting actual values for your players prevents any of that happening, all my players have their values set, even if i would never consider selling, this also helps with the agent asking for a new contract, it wont happen near as often if teams dont bid near the asking price as its not deemed a serious bid.

Also I would add its not just young prospects, I have the same issue with one of my strikers, they will bid up to around 28million (starting at around 12 million) and then a month later they are bidding at 12 million again.

I really dont want to set all my players to set amounts because it means season after season I would have to re-adjust it etc and I also dont want to set them all to "Refuse any offer" because sometimes an offer comes in that is just too good for a msaller club to refuse.

I just think it would make some kind of sense for the AI to keep track of what its offered previously, and either give up or offer more, not leave it a month and start again.

How much is the players value in game? This appears to be missing from first post.

I am guessing it was around 2 million at the time, I didnt look, I only checked the asking price to make sure it was set to "Not Set"

Anyway, its not the value, its the fact that they went to 4million then back to 2.x million etc...

im not saying it works perfect at all, its just setting actual values for your players prevents any of that happening, all my players have their values set, even if i would never consider selling, this also helps with the agent asking for a new contract, it wont happen near as often if teams dont bid near the asking price as its not deemed a serious bid.

this, or changing his value after the second bid.

or negotiating 15million at the second bid, or however much you value him at

As it is now, the AI managers (and the media) sets the transfer value of a player to his estimated value if you have not set his value. This is weird since the game already has the tools available to both human and computer managers to figure out his asking price: it is called enquiry!

The media could approach you and ask what a likely transfer value would be for said player, given that there are rumours swirling about. Then you could: A)say he is not for sale B)refuse to comment on rumours C)set a transfer value you would likely accept D)confirm that a transfer is under way and that you are in talks with another club - if this is the case E)give them the number of his agent

• 1 year later...

Nearly 2 years, that's impressive revival skills.

As for the AI remembering every previous bid rather than just the active negotiations would no doubt be problematic as I assume that it would dramatically increase the amount of data being held in memory which in turn would see the minimum spec's increase & the game speed slow down, transfer windows could become unbearable.

Sadly when it comes to the framework of football manager the AI is one of my biggest disappointments than the match engine issues.

The buying and selling of the AI teams are laughable and even manager appointments are awful, even gets worst after ten playing years.

Would love to see this sorted out for future versions but been like it since FM2005 so wont hold out any hope for FM14 right now.

I find it irritating also that it only seems to be me who has to shell out astronomical fees for players, try and sign people like hamsik etc and your looking at upwards of 50m, never get anywhere near that kind of money for one of my players

I find it irritating also that it only seems to be me who has to shell out astronomical fees for players, try and sign people like hamsik etc and your looking at upwards of 50m, never get anywhere near that kind of money for one of my players
How often do you try and sell players as valuable to your team as hamsik?

Quite often, when I have a switch of tactic and then said player doesn't quite fit in with that shape, or if I'm trying to raise funds to rebuild

Try to sell for double the estimated value- if the player is in decent form you will get it. I sell players for 40-50 when they are good enough. Sometimes players for 30 that are not nearly worth that. Like Wellington Nem to Barca.

After the patch teams are finally bidding for my players, which is a good change. However this is what happened to me:

Man City bid for a newgen

First offer: £15m - I negotiate and say I want £28m(on installments). They withdraw.

Second offer: £15m - I negotiate and say I want £27m(on installments). They withdraw.

Third offer: £15m - I negotiate and say I want £25m(on installments). They withdraw.

These offers all came a day after the one before (or after pressing continue once).

After this I started using the reject with reason option.

Next window I get a big for another newgen

First offer (from City): £12m - I refuse and say 'Offer not good enough'.

Second offer (from Liverpool): £18m - I refuse and say 'Offer not good enough'.

Third offer: £26m (from Bayern) - I accept.

So it seems that the AI will use some sort of logic, but not necessarily if you don't supply the valid information in the manner it expects.

I think the transfer bidding would benefit from a system like how contract negotiations is handled, cos most of the time it does feel like that Benitez-MON comic.

Does Enquiry ever work for anyone when the player isn't transfer listed? The comp always responds with "the player is not for sale".

rarely because most teams don't want to sell. it works if there are many teams interested in the player

After the patch teams are finally bidding for my players, which is a good change. However this is what happened to me:

Man City bid for a newgen

First offer: £15m - I negotiate and say I want £28m(on installments). They withdraw.

Second offer: £15m - I negotiate and say I want £27m(on installments). They withdraw.

Third offer: £15m - I negotiate and say I want £25m(on installments). They withdraw.

These offers all came a day after the one before (or after pressing continue once).

After this I started using the reject with reason option.

Next window I get a big for another newgen

First offer (from City): £12m - I refuse and say 'Offer not good enough'.

Second offer (from Liverpool): £18m - I refuse and say 'Offer not good enough'.

Third offer: £26m (from Bayern) - I accept.

So it seems that the AI will use some sort of logic, but not necessarily if you don't supply the valid information in the manner it expects.

I think the transfer bidding would benefit from a system like how contract negotiations is handled, cos most of the time it does feel like that Benitez-MON comic.

I will give this a go and see if it makes a difference.

Makes the transfer centre's "Reject all offers" redundant though as it does not ask you for a reason.

but if manually doing it works then great.

• 4 years later...

Archived