+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How slow are central defenders?

Amateur

Default How slow are central defenders?

I am into my 10th/11th season and I have noticed that a world class centre back with any real pace is quite rare. Is it the game or am I not looking hard enough?

Amateur

To be fair they are quite slow in real life as well (generally) Also if they have good positioning, concentration and anticipation it more than makes up for them being a bit slow imo

Part-Timer

I get the same feeling and to make matters worse the game gets filled with striker regens with +17 pace and acc that every other team seems to have i get into trouble sometimes.. using a smaller faster CB as cover helps in my tactic.

Banned

Could you not train a youngster with high pace/acceleration to become a DC? He would have to have high potential though. I personally have never tried this.

Part-Timer

Ive signed many fast central defenders before both in this version and others. Try Phil Jones hes got 18 acceleration 17 pace in my game and has a worldwide reputation another one is Dennis Appiah 17 accel 16 pace again worldwide.

Do a player search ticking just acelleration and pace in the search box and they will come up some however will have continenal rating like Micah Richards but he is still fast 18 acell 17 pace. Weather they will sign for your club or not is a different matter but they definately do exist even on a worldwide rep. This search only took me 5 minutes to compose so if you have more time you should find more even with a world wide rep

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Ive signed many fast central defenders before both in this version and others. Try Phil Jones hes got 18 acceleration 17 pace in my game and has a worldwide reputation another one is Dennis Appiah 17 accel 16 pace again worldwide.
    SNIP
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about regens, being 11 seasons in 'n' all...

Reserves

It is something I have noticed, one thing to possibly try is to find a good cb and train his pace from an early age. It probably won't make him fast but extra focus on speed will help the attributes a couple of points in that area.

Amateur

phil jones and danny wilson are both my centre backs and both are good and have pace. If you look in real life though not many great centre backs have pace

Youth Team
    Somewhere between Loch Ness and the Beauly Firth.

I'm not seeing this problem at all. In my ten season game, both of my newgen centre backs have 15+ acceleration and pace. I'll check other teams, but I'm fairly sure a lot of top defenders are pretty quick. I actually find jumping to be more of an issue. Are you coaching yours in quickness if they lack it when they're young?
    Last edited by BigHairyAndy; 14-06-2011 at 01:10.

Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.

It's probably just bad luck, it's not something I've noticed

Part-Timer
    AEK, 9 leagues, 11 Cups, 4 Ch Leagues, 3 European Super Cups, 2 Club Wold Championships

Almost ALL top defenders in my saves are very very fast

Amateur

I have new 2 fast cb newgens but my problem is hieght. Both are only 5'10" so I traded for a 6'4" cb with great jumping ability. I put a different combo depending on what my scout tells me about my next match. ie. pacey strikers put both fast cbs in cb position or get one tall and one fast.

Youth Team

It is not generally a problem in my save either.

If you find a good talent CD with high defensive attributes in the technical and mental columns, him having 10-12ish pace/jumping/acceleration at the age of 17 would let him have 14-16 in those attributes before he turns 23. It is much harder having such an increase in the two other columns.

Semi Pro

It's 2019 now in my game and my two starting defenders have acceleration-pace of 18-18... I wouldn't call that slow.

+ Reply to Thread