What determines a GKs match rating?

Does anyone know for sure how this is calculated? My team is generally successful, with all outfield players averaging over 7, but my goalkeeper averages 6.9 at best every season.

In my last match, I drew 1-1 and my GK picked up a 7.9 rating and was MOTM. Looking at his stats, there was nothing standing out that was different to his usual performances (passes 17, completed 8, fouled once and everything else was a zero).

Obviously there is no stat shown for saves, but the other team had just 1 shot on target in the match, which was the goal, so he didn't make any saves.

So why was his rating so high?

My Gk seem to get awful ratings. I came second in my division last season with by far and away the best defensive record, my keeper was supposed to be a good player for the division above and yet somehow only managed an average of around 6.7. I released him in the summer and got in another keeper who seemed pretty decent and again is supposed to be a good player for the top division. He has been pretty awful all season, and is averaging sub 6.7 despite my defensive record being quite good in the division. Is it a bug or am I just ending up with crap keepers all the time?!

If he barely has trouble during the match, he won't have a very high rate. But if you have a match where your defense fails to contain the rival's attack most of the time and your GK stops whatever they shoot at the goal, his average will go up

My goalie, now in his 5th season:

First year (league stats only)- 34 gms, 36 allowed, 12 so, 89% passing, 7.06 avg.

Second- 34 gms, 27 all, 13 so, 90% pass, 7.07 avg.

Third- 32 gms, 29 all, 14 so, 92% pass, 7.05 avg.

Fourth- 33 gms, 23 all, 16 so, 93% pass, 6.94 avg.

Current- 28 gms, 24 all, 12 so, 90% pass, 7.05 avg.

Going strictly by the numbers, last year was his best season...yet the game shows that his lowest average rating. Strange.

If he barely has trouble during the match, he won't have a very high rate. But if you have a match where your defense fails to contain the rival's attack most of the time and your GK stops whatever they shoot at the goal, his average will go up

This is why my GK has a poor average long-term, but doesn't explain this one off.

I wish more stats were shown for a GK, at the moment we get nothing useful.

This is why my GK has a poor average long-term, but doesn't explain this one off.

I wish more stats were shown for a GK, at the moment we get nothing useful.

The only ting I can think of is if your GK somehow got an assist in that game. Maybe a route one kick upfield that your striker ran onto?

It's been discussed before. Match rating for players (any player) depends on quality moves he does on the pitch. Goal, assist, KEY pass, KEY tackle, KEY header. Amount of total (regular) passes/tackles/interceptions etc will only count when it's big enough (e.g. 8-10 tackles or something like that).

So, for GK to achieve good ratings he has to:

1) Give an assist.

2) Make a lot of saves

3) Make a few quality saves. Those are the ones that are mentioned by commentary as 'fine save', 'great save' 'brilliant save' (this one giving a lot of rating points). It's not always situation as you see it on the pitch. Saving 1-1 situation or penalty doesn't necessarily mean good save.

Obviously, when you dominate in the league and opponents have just a few shots on goal there's not much chances for your goalie to shine. On the other hand, when letting them attack too freely you'll concede a few goals and that will drag ratings down too.

I'd say that 7.0x is already a fairly good average rating for GK.

It's been discussed before. Match rating for players (any player) depends on quality moves he does on the pitch. Goal, assist, KEY pass, KEY tackle, KEY header. Amount of total (regular) passes/tackles/interceptions etc will only count when it's big enough (e.g. 8-10 tackles or something like that).

So, for GK to achieve good ratings he has to:

1) Give an assist.

2) Make a lot of saves

3) Make a few quality saves. Those are the ones that are mentioned by commentary as 'fine save', 'great save' 'brilliant save' (this one giving a lot of rating points). It's not always situation as you see it on the pitch. Saving 1-1 situation or penalty doesn't necessarily mean good save.

Obviously, when you dominate in the league and opponents have just a few shots on goal there's not much chances for your goalie to shine. On the other hand, when letting them attack too freely you'll concede a few goals and that will drag ratings down too.

I'd say that 7.0x is already a fairly good average rating for GK.

I understand all that, so how did my keeper get a 7.9 making no saves, assists, key passes, etc? He did nothing to deserve it.

He claims/punch lots of crosses? Rush out and clears ball well?

Watch the replay in full to solve the mystery... :)

I can watch all the oppositions crosses via the match analysis can't I? I've just shut it down, might look at that tomorrow if it's still bugging me.

I'd guess your keeper claimed a lot of aerial balls, swept up behind the defence and maybe even prevented a goalscoring opportunity by smothering the ball bravely at the feet of an attacker... it's not only about 'shot stopping' but a keepers all round game, if he's done other things well despite not having any shots to save then he'll still get a good rating... especially if by doing those other things he actually prevented goalscoring opportunities..

I'd guess your keeper claimed a lot of aerial balls, swept up behind the defence and maybe even prevented a goalscoring opportunity by smothering the ball bravely at the feet of an attacker... it's not only about 'shot stopping' but a keepers all round game, if he's done other things well despite not having any shots to save then he'll still get a good rating... especially if by doing those other things he actually prevented goalscoring opportunities..

Should this be classed as an interception? Or perhaps there should be a stat for crosses caught / punched clear.

Archived