Has anyone ever gotten themselves in a position of having too many good strikers? Well, not really good, but potentially good strikers?
I'm currently in the position of having 5 soon to be 6 very talented young strikers at my club, two of which have proven that they are great players and have a lifelong home at the club, whilst a further 3 are extremely talented but are currently very choppy. I honestly have no idea what I should do with them. What makes things worse is that I have a further 2 who are completely demolishing the second tier. I've got [they're all regens]:
Firstly the two who are safe:
1. Yannick Claverie - A bit of an all rounder, he's been the Champions League top goal scorer two years in a row at 20.
2. Mario Moreira - I signed him as back up the season before last, but 7 goals in his first two games for my B team made me give him a shot and he's never looked out of place. He's a pacey striker (20-19 for acceleration and pace) with good intelligence and the best dribbler at the club but lacking a bit of finishing and composure for this level (well 13-13), he's only 19 still though.
Then there's my target man:
3. Diego Saloman - Shows flashes of brilliance. He's a big striker, a tad slow, but is well disciplined and I told him to shoot with power which has improved him. He's 20 this season. The coaches think he's going to be awesome!
4. Daniel Kurth - Another 20 year old, good dribbler, lacks the finishing that would really make him the sort of player who would force his way into the team. However he's very good at a deeper role and on his day is my best striker. The coaches think he's going to be awesome! He's a tad too similar to Claverie though, and I don't need two Claveries!
5. Kouassi - A true all rounder, he's my best finisher, he's good in the air, good intelligence, he's got decent speed (16-15)... He's just, a tad inconsistent, but still only 19 and developing rapidly. The coaches don't think he'll be quite as good as Kurth or Saloman, but he's got that skill set and I think I can work with that.
On top of that I've signed:
6. Pedro Ribeiro - Young striker from Porto, very quick, intelligent, good dribbler and a finisher! He's 18, but cost me a penny, not here yet though. My scouts believe him to be potentially as good as Claverie is going to be (so about the same level as Kurth and Saloman)
Then there's my two reserves:
7. Kagabo - He's arguably the best striker at the club, but he's extremely injury prone and I can't stand losing him and losing our momentum, as such he's now my backup in case of an emergency. Ironic though that my backup in case of an injury crisis is an injury prone striker. He's 24 now. Not getting a whole lot better.
8. Ricardo Ouseb - Last but certainly not least, the 6'8" beast that is Ouseb! When he signed 2-3 years ago he was one of my great hopes for the future of the club, not scoring a goal in this first 12 appearances and then getting sent off twice in 2 games didn't really help his cause though and Diego Saloman was brought in to replace him. Though I felt that I could develop him further and give him another chance. Again, to not score, and again to get sent off. However, he's good in the air, not as good as Saloman though, quicker than him though. He's consistent (in the second tier) and can finish! So now I'm rethinking my position on him. My coaches don't think he'll be as good as Kurth and co could be. So, anyhow:
The stats on the players, just in terms of goals per game and assists per game last season [goals per game - assists per game]:
Claverie - 1.00 - 0.18
Moreira - 0.90 - 0.26
Saloman - 0.35 - 0.19
Kurth - 0.60 - 0.20
Kouassi - 0.29 - 0.09
Ribeiro - N/A
Kagabo - 1.43 - 0.72 (at Honvéd II)
Ouseb - 1.05- 0.44 (at Honvéd II)
Making the problem more complex Kurth played the vast majority of his games in the League (picture somewhere between the Championship and League One quality at this point in time) whilst Saloman and Kouassi [especially so] played a lot of time in the Champions League for experience. Honvéd II are in the second tier and that's between League two and the Blue Square Premier. So yeah.
I have no idea what to do. My current plan is to sell Ouseb for massive profit (hopefully), keep Kagabo on as my reserve captain, and give Kurth a run in the second tier to gauge whether he really can be the player I want. I'll give Ouseb one more chance at the first team first though.
Hmmm... I'm just rambling aren't I? Anyhow, what would everybody else do?