Least successful start to a managerial career... possibly

Started with decent rep at FC Eindhoven in Holland in January(FM2010)... They were 17th. I got them relegated despite playing some good stuff... The team above me kept winning so... unlucky i guess.

I resigned after relegation as the league below was not active.

After a few months I took over at Aberystwyth Town a week or so into the next season. They had a little bit of a transfer budget, so i shifted it all onto wages, got a few excellent free strikers and.... got to January bottom of the league on a 9 game streak without so much as a goal.

Spent a month or so floundering uselessly in my own depression before heading back to Holland with Emmen who were... yes, bottom of the lowest playable division, as Eindhoven were. It's April and i'm 5 points adrift.

By my own admission this particular save isn't going quite to plan... I seem to have adopted the persona of hopeless flaky idiot manager.... but I am enjoying not winning a lot, it's a real scrap. I just wonder how long it will be before my reputation completely slides into the gutter and nobody touches me with a barge-pole.

Or maybe there's one job that will just 'click'.

My worst was in Norway lowest playable league.

Exibit A just got promoted...

hires me as manager.....looks for brighter future.

me realises the teams is *rap......fire everyone, staff included...

me realising the club is bankrupt.....hmm....quitting.

I feel really bad to this day.

In my Gundo Challenge game in Croatia, I got relegated in my first season, despite the club being taken over by a tycoon mid-season. Beat that.

Then again, to cheer you up, I took another team, learnt from my mistakes, and eventually took them to 6 consecutive domestic titles, plus beating the likes of Real Madrid in the Champions League. A terrible start doesn't mean you can't improve.

I am in a hotseat game with 2 friends. I started with Liverpool, they had the 2 Manchester clubs.

First season wasn't great for me, City won the league, Utd 2nd and I scraped in 4th after beating Wolves on the last day of the season (who were 4th going into the game). I reached 2 cup finals (FA and Euro) but lost them both, one to City.

Next season started okay, but then form dipped and found myself 6th after 10 games or so. Job status at this point was 'stable' at 49%. I play away to Utd (my friend's team), and despite having more shots, possession, CCCs, corners, etc. I managed to get stuffed 6-1. The last few goals were because I threw everybody forward in a desperate attempt to get back in the game. So I'm a bit gutted to lose by such a scoreline to one of my mates, but felt that my team played well and the scoreline was very flattering and I was unlucky. Did my board agree? No, I was sacked immediately. First time in years I've been sacked on FM, and I felt it was a bit harsh.

But I decided to rebuild my career, got the Leicester job just before Christmas. They were 18th in the Champ, managed to get them up to the playoffs but lost in the semis. Next season I won the league at a canter, and was back in the big time. New season fixture list comes out, who is first up? Who else? Liverpool away! Result? Beat them 0-2! Revenge is sweet sometimes.

So what started as being a nightmare game for me, has turned into something really special, every goal has me jumping out of me seat and fist-pumping like Tim Henman now, something that wasn't happening during my brief spell at Liverpool.

Some of my most memorable and favorite times on FM have been relegation battles. Winning all the time gets boring really quick, but trying to turn a terminally in decline team around is challenging and more fun imho. Stick with it, you'll get a lucky break sooner or later, maybe it'll be a lucky defelcted goal in the last minute of a match that starts to change your fortunes :)

Archived